PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Pick a Mini-Vacation!

IHStangFan
08-27-2009, 09:42 AM
When I get back home my wife and I are thinking about taking a week or so and doing a little mini-vacation thing. She's from New Jersey and hasn't seen too much of Texas other than what's on I-10 and the Houston area. So I need help w/ some ideas on where to take her. I was thinking maybe:

*Big Bend National Park
*Garner/Frio River
*San Antonio/River Walk/Alamo, etc.
*Austin/State Capitol

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!

BreckTxLonghorn
08-27-2009, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
When I get back home my wife and I are thinking about taking a week or so and doing a little mini-vacation thing. She's from New Jersey and hasn't seen too much of Texas other than what's on I-10 and the Houston area. So I need help w/ some ideas on where to take her. I was thinking maybe:

*Big Bend National Park
*Garner/Frio River
*San Antonio/River Walk/Alamo, etc.
*Austin/State Capitol

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!

I like weekend trips to the San Antonio. Riverwalk has so much great food & drink, plus Chris Madrid's, plus Fredericksburg is close by. Super fun.

Emerson1
08-27-2009, 10:08 AM
San Antonio.

IHStangFan
08-27-2009, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
I like weekend trips to the San Antonio. Riverwalk has so much great food & drink, plus Chris Madrid's, plus Fredericksburg is close by. Super fun. Yeah...we're leaning towards San Antonio also.....all withing a short drive:

Sea World
River Walk
Alamo
Fiesta Texas
Bandera and all of their Dude/Guest Ranches
Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch
Natural Bridge Caverns
Gruene & Gruene Hall

etc. etc. etc.

IrishTex
08-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
Yeah...we're leaning towards San Antonio also.....all withing a short drive:

Sea World
River Walk
Alamo
Fiesta Texas
Bandera and all of their Dude/Guest Ranches
Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch
Natural Bridge Caverns
Gruene & Gruene Hall

etc. etc. etc.

Hey Gunney...

If you are gonna go to San Antonio, you could make it a relaxing trip to take Amtrak from Houston to San Antonio....
6 hours..and no stress..

:D

IHStangFan
08-27-2009, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by IrishTex
Hey Gunney...

If you are gonna go to San Antonio, you could make it a relaxing trip to take Amtrak from Houston to San Antonio....
6 hours..and no stress..

:D LOL...heck...are you kidding? I'm looking FORWARD to getting on the road and not having to worry about "is this armor thick enough". :D

Ranger Mom
08-27-2009, 11:24 AM
With the absence of rain, I wouldn't go to Garner/Frio!!!

AP Panther Fan
08-27-2009, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
With the absence of rain, I wouldn't go to Garner/Frio!!!

True, I think I would opt for the San Antonio area. I would like to go to Fredricksburg personally, but that's just me and my shopping fetish.;)

BreckTxLonghorn
08-27-2009, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
True, I think I would opt for the San Antonio area. I would like to go to Fredricksburg personally, but that's just me and my shopping fetish.;)

Uh, yeah, plus they have like 8 wineries, and a restaurant that brews 4 or 5 different kinds of beer! That place seriously has everything for everyone except an Orange Julius.

95mustang
08-27-2009, 04:57 PM
We just got back from San Antonio this past weekend and had a great time as we do everytime we go. We actually drove over to New Braunfels and took the kids to Schlitterbahn. Was the best time ever at the park this year. Only stood in line one time for about 10 minutes the rest of the day it was walk up and get on the tube or slide. Was able make every ride twice and some more then that. If it was like that all the time I would have season passes for sure.

PhiI C
08-27-2009, 06:06 PM
A great place to visit is South Padre Island, Texas. They have great eating places, shopping, the beach, golf and other entertainment. Also the great Pelican West band is there located on 410 Padre Blvd.

sinton66
08-27-2009, 06:33 PM
Hey B! Ya gotta eat at the Casa Rio on the riverwalk. Good food and modest prices plus fantastic atmosphere.

And, by all means, take that Jersey native to the Alamo!;)

Trashman
08-27-2009, 07:01 PM
I have to agree with nearly everyone else and say San Antonio. It has everything and then some. Have fun!:D

IrishTex
08-27-2009, 08:13 PM
And, by all means, take that Jersey native to the Alamo!

<------is a direct decendent of Elizabeth Patton Crockett

:D

IHStangFan
08-27-2009, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by PhiI C
A great place to visit is South Padre Island, Texas. They have great eating places, shopping, the beach, golf and other entertainment. Also the great Pelican West band is there located on 410 Padre Blvd. Phil ole friend....if I wanted to take em to the beach...I'd go to Galveston, LOL...it's a heckova lot closer!!

Tony......you KNOW I'm takin her to the Alamo! LOL. She's gonna get a Texas History lesson!

Thanks everyone!