PDA

View Full Version : Celina magic numbers

charlesrixey
08-27-2009, 09:23 AM
In response to Rocket's interesting analysis of Celina success, i offer the following statistical survey:

No Celina team since 1995 has won a state title while allowing more than 10.4 ppg.

Only 1 Celina team has won a state title while scoring less than 38.9 ppg-the 1998 team which allowed only 21 points in six games (4 shutouts) in the playoffs.

Only 1 Celina team has won a state title with a scoring differential less than 29.4 (the same 1998 team, whose 21.9 was the lowest of any season between 1993-2008).

Celina is 17-3 against East Texas in the playoffs since 1995(losses to Daingerfield, Gilmer and Carthage). The only game i can find prior is the 1974 title game with Big Sandy (0-0). This conclusively proves that Celina is scared to death of East Texas teams (everything east of Emory for the purposes of this argument).

Celina is 12-3 in Regional Final games (not including Class-B when there was no state title)

Celina is 10-2 in Semi-Final games

Celina is 7-2-1 in State Championship games

There doesn't seem to be a huge drop-off regardless of the region of the team they face in the later rounds of the playoffs.

The average margins of victory in each round seem to be big enough to preclude any perceived 'advantage' of 'easier' schedules

just my theory: If Celina averages more 38.9-10.4 ppg, they will win the state championship:)

kaorder1999
08-27-2009, 09:25 AM
i thought celina has won 8 titles? no? that tie count as a title?

LE Dad
08-27-2009, 09:35 AM
:thinking: :rolleyes: :thinking:

charlesrixey
08-27-2009, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
i thought celina has won 8 titles? no? that tie count as a title?

Technically, it does, since Celina was crowned Co-Champion. Celina has won Eight titles, one of which they share.

PPSTATEBOUND
08-27-2009, 10:05 AM
So I wonder which team has wolliped the "Mighty Orange" more then any other? and has any team managed five wins against this monster?

BleedOrange
08-27-2009, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by PPSTATEBOUND
So I wonder which team has wolliped the "Mighty Orange" more then any other? and has any team managed five wins against this monster?

You know the answer. Are you looking for Pilot Point kudos? Why don't you just enlighten us LOL

charlesrixey
08-27-2009, 11:07 AM

Celina leads PP 24-23-1 in the series

if he wants kudos, he can figure out who won the final 9 games
:)

d0tc0m
08-27-2009, 11:11 AM
Man I sure do miss the Celina - PP rivalry. It used to be one of the best in the state!

BILLYFRED0000
08-27-2009, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by d0tc0m
Man I sure do miss the Celina - PP rivalry. It used to be one of the best in the state!

Yeah that was a good one. And you know my fav.
The first year G A went back when we went 3a. there was a thunderstorm and lots of rain. they held the game till it cleared.
My oldest was a senior. Said there was still an inch of water on the field in most places even by halftime. Of course we could see it was wet but man it was bad. Slop ball at it's best. woo hoo.
Oh and we won of course. Even in the bad weather it was SRO.

charlesrixey
08-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Yeah that was a good one. And you know my fav.
The first year G A went back when we went 3a. there was a thunderstorm and lots of rain. they held the game till it cleared.
My oldest was a senior. Said there was still an inch of water on the field in most places even by halftime. Of course we could see it was wet but man it was bad. Slop ball at it's best. woo hoo.
Oh and we won of course. Even in the bad weather it was SRO.

i remember getting there two hours early, then standing in the rain as they had the delay, only to watch a quick, tight, hard-hitting 10-0 win.:)

BobcatBenny
08-27-2009, 12:35 PM
I am guessing those stats hold true for most teams.

If a team can produce and average scoring differential over a season of 38.9-10.4 ppg they probably more often than not make it to the championship game. Not necessarily win the championship, but the team gets to play 15 or 16 games depending on classification.

What would be interesting, is determining how many Celina teams had a differential such as that and did not make it to a championship game?

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Teams like the 1998 team are probably more like most teams that win a championship ... That team gets a good group of athletes and they win one. Prosper?

Just a thought.

PPSTATEBOUND
08-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
Celina leads PP 24-23-1 in the series

if he wants kudos, he can figure out who won the final 9 games
:)
I did the math and came up with a lopesided series before the last 9....great job Bobcats.:clap:

PPSTATEBOUND
08-27-2009, 12:45 PM
i remember getting there two hours early, then standing in the rain as they had the delay, only to watch a quick, tight, hard-hitting 10-0 win.:)

Congrats...

http://www.pilotpointfootball.org/id109.htm

WildTexan972
08-27-2009, 01:18 PM
I did the math and came up with a lopesided series before the last 9....great job Bobcats.:clap:

now there is some PP logic.....IF we go back 9 games ago we was killin you guys....

now for a simple fact....PP will NEVER EVER again be caught up to Celina in the head to head series record.....EVER....we will all die with Celina leading the series from this point forward....

PPSTATEBOUND
08-27-2009, 03:19 PM
Actually I got in this thread on a $100.00 bet....I bet I could draw out the "Brainiac" of Celina also known as The Celina "Brain trust", but his friends just call him WildTexan972, with some nonesense about PP beating Celina.........I was a little worried for a a while he'd be a now show....BUUUUUUUUUT......
As always he takes the bait no matter how stinky it is....:inlove:

Cha ching cha ching...:D

Thanks Small fry!

charlesrixey
08-27-2009, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
I am guessing those stats hold true for most teams.

If a team can produce and average scoring differential over a season of 38.9-10.4 ppg they probably more often than not make it to the championship game. Not necessarily win the championship, but the team gets to play 15 or 16 games depending on classification.

What would be interesting, is determining how many Celina teams had a differential such as that and did not make it to a championship game?

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Teams like the 1998 team are probably more like most teams that win a championship ... That team gets a good group of athletes and they win one. Prosper?

Just a thought.

well, lucky for you i have that info-

i have been tabulating all of the stats for all of the Celina teams since the beginning, but i only have the total stats since 1988. I have this in excel and didn't feel like making it pretty by turning it into a picture. I also have it broken down by PF, PA, PPG, etc. but i'm too lazy to put that in here. Plus, someday i might be able to give it to someone who needs it for something.

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/attachment.php?s=&postid=1279403

charlesrixey
08-27-2009, 04:32 PM
Alright so i am having a brain meltdown and i can't remember how to post it directly onto here. But anyway, the info is there:)

WildTexan972
08-27-2009, 05:09 PM
Actually I got in this thread on a $100.00 bet....I bet I could draw out the "Brainiac" of Celina also known as The Celina "Brain trust", but his friends just call him WildTexan972, with some nonesense about PP beating Celina.........I was a little worried for a a while he'd be a now show....BUUUUUUUUUT......
As always he takes the bait no matter how stinky it is....:inlove:

Cha ching cha ching...:D

Thanks Small fry!

a now show eh? man when they passed out brains you thunk they said PAST OUT BRAINS so you figured no need to get brains from the past....

you never worry....nobody that wanders around in public with PP on their shirt worries about much of nuthin...

just remember....PP is not NOW or never will be as good as Celina again.....live it...learn it....love it...

PP does however have a great meat market for cuttin up showpigs....I'll give ya that one...

garciap77
08-27-2009, 08:07 PM
In response to Rocket's interesting analysis of Celina success, i offer the following statistical survey:

No Celina team since 1995 has won a state title while allowing more than 10.4 ppg.

Only 1 Celina team has won a state title while scoring less than 38.9 ppg-the 1998 team which allowed only 21 points in six games (4 shutouts) in the playoffs.

Only 1 Celina team has won a state title with a scoring differential less than 29.4 (the same 1998 team, whose 21.9 was the lowest of any season between 1993-2008).

Celina is 17-3 against East Texas in the playoffs since 1995(losses to Daingerfield, Gilmer and Carthage). The only game i can find prior is the 1974 title game with Big Sandy (0-0). This conclusively proves that Celina is scared to death of East Texas teams (everything east of Emory for the purposes of this argument).

Celina is 12-3 in Regional Final games (not including Class-B when there was no state title)

Celina is 10-2 in Semi-Final games

Celina is 7-2-1 in State Championship games

There doesn't seem to be a huge drop-off regardless of the region of the team they face in the later rounds of the playoffs.

The average margins of victory in each round seem to be big enough to preclude any perceived 'advantage' of 'easier' schedules

just my theory: If Celina averages more 38.9-10.4 ppg, they will win the state championship:)

Excellent Theory!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Hard to argue with that logic! Numbers don't lie!:)

But, I'm sure someone will try!;)