PDA

View Full Version : Van Vleck talk on Houston Radio

Antec
08-26-2009, 05:03 PM
A listener called to to KILT 610 radio sports show in Houston and commented that Van Vleck players left the field during the third quariter a game against Houston Christian a while back.

They said Leopards were losing 35-7

He mentioned that Gary Kubiak was playing for Houston Christian-So this was a long time ago

Then other listeners called it about the incident and two confirmed it

Then they started talking about high school area mascots around Matagorda County--Brazoria County area.

Know one knew what Tidehaven's was

Usually they don't talk about high school football much

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-26-2009, 05:34 PM
Really? Wow! It's usually pro sports on the radio, gets boring after a while.

Wish I had been listening when that came up.

mac77
08-26-2009, 09:09 PM
Tidehaven Tigers. Helmet decal used to look like Texas Tech's.

maestro
08-26-2009, 09:31 PM
sweeny -van vleck used to be proclaimed proudly as the super bowl.....

back in the '80s .....blackmon.....simeon....the games were hard core , intense.....many coaches claim to aid their players off of the field after a hard fought game.....there were times that sweeny and van vleck players just dropped to their knees afterwards.....some of the best memories of high school competition that i have..

Bull Butter
08-26-2009, 10:55 PM
Kubiak played for St. Pius

shamu85
08-27-2009, 09:43 AM
My freshman year we lost to VV by a score of 7-6. We outgained them something like 250 to 33 total yds, but they blocked a punt right before halftime and took it in for a TD, then mad the PAT. We scored finally and missed the PAT. No playoffs as that was the last year of only district champs.

Sophomore year we lost again at home, but made the playoffs. I think VV made it pretty far that year. We lost to Refugio on the 3rd round 18-7. Junior year we lost like 14-7 on a punt return for TD, but we went to the finals against D'field as runner up. Senior year we finally broke through and beat them on their extremely soggy home turf 25-16 as Jay Pyssen rumbled for over 100 yds rushing. I remember they had a helicopter trying to dry the field before the game.

Those were some intense games, and it didn't stop at football. The basketball games were just as intense, and usually for the district championship as well. Too bad they didn't have a baseball team as that was my sport, so I didn't ever get to personally beat up on Vambalake. :mad:

SHSBulldog00
08-27-2009, 10:31 AM
In the 80's Sweeny vs. Van Vleck was a rivalry. Sweeny has won the last four (42 - 14 last year). It IS the most important game for Van Vleck; but for Sweeny it is just a warmup.

themsu97
08-27-2009, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by SHSBulldog00
In the 80's Sweeny vs. Van Vleck was a rivalry. Sweeny has won the last four (42 - 14 last year). It IS the most important game for Van Vleck; but for Sweeny it is just a warmup.

not really... it is more important to the old timers in both towns than it is to the kids...
it is just one of 10...