PDA

View Full Version : Student athlete found dead after football practice

kaorder1999
08-26-2009, 02:18 PM
Student athlete found dead after football practice

01:40 PM CDT on Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Associated Press

Vernon is 150 miles northwest of Fort Worth VERNON, Texas — Officials say a northern Texas middle school student was found unresponsive at home and pronounced dead the morning after going through football practice in triple-digit heat.

Wilbarger County Justice of the Peace Lewis Templeton said Wednesday a toxicology report should determine whether the death of 13-year-old Brent Shinn was heat-related. Foul play has been ruled out.

The 13-year-old from Vernon Middle School was found unresponsive Tuesday morning and later pronounced dead at a hospital.

Vernon schools Superintendent Tom Woody said practice lasted a little more than an hour Monday afternoon. The temperature was about 105, according to the National Weather Service.

Vernon is located about 150 miles northwest of Fort Worth.

RedWhiteBlue
08-26-2009, 02:28 PM
That is just awful..... :(

kaorder1999
08-26-2009, 02:31 PM
ive always thought that the most dangerous part of the heat isnt during practice but after practice!!

pirate4state
08-26-2009, 02:45 PM
:(

BILLYFRED0000
08-26-2009, 02:45 PM
IT is. I always tell the boys to cool off in the shower and get some fluids. We have them getting water every 20 minutes or so in pee wee ball. It is a shame . Prayers for the family.

ccmom
08-26-2009, 02:47 PM
Very sad news, indeed.

Johnny Utah
08-26-2009, 02:54 PM
Very tragic, and it happens way too often. HS/MS football related deaths are way too high.

44INAROW
08-26-2009, 02:57 PM
:( Prayers from Cuero :(

BuckeyeNut
08-26-2009, 03:28 PM
Having a 12 year my self, and he is at practice right now. I feel bad for that young man parents. So sad :(

RedWhiteBlue
08-26-2009, 03:35 PM
I am just curious and thinking out loud really. Maybe someone can answer this for me. If he came home from practice and didn't go straight to bed- say he ate dinner, watched some tv and took a shower or whatever. Then he went to bed. And then he died during the night- is it possible that it could still be a heat-related death? I am just asking because I don't know....
I can see if the boy came straight home from practice and went to his room layed down and never got up again how that could be related to the heat....:(

Phil C
08-26-2009, 03:39 PM
This is terrible news and prayers for all concerned.

Macarthur
08-26-2009, 03:42 PM
I'm going to think out loud, too.

Is there anyway we could move football season back a month or so? I know that would be a problem with Christmas, but....

Frankly, it's surprising this doesn't happen more. 100+ degrees and full pads aren't a good mix.

coach
08-26-2009, 03:46 PM
prayers to his family friends and teammates and coaches....

BILLYFRED0000
08-26-2009, 03:59 PM
Just offering an opinion. But this may be a cultural change. When I was in JR High, I had 3 tv channels, no video games, no vcr or dvd and a phone that had one ring tone hanging on the wall. We had P E everyday at school and in the summer I was outside everyday for long periods of time. I even hauled hay in HS in 100 degree heat. When I showed up at practice I was used to the heat and in some kind of shape. Todays kids simply do not do this. Food for thought. But it does not make the pain any different. I just know that I watch my kids closely on the field and we take no chances.

big daddy russ
08-26-2009, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Just offering an opinion. But this may be a cultural change. When I was in JR High, I had 3 tv channels, no video games, no vcr or dvd and a phone that had one ring tone hanging on the wall. We had P E everyday at school and in the summer I was outside everyday for long periods of time. I even hauled hay in HS in 100 degree heat. When I showed up at practice I was used to the heat and in some kind of shape. Todays kids simply do not do this. Food for thought. But it does not make the pain any different. I just know that I watch my kids closely on the field and we take no chances.
I think that absolutely has something to do with it. There's a reason Arab kids can hang out in an un-airconditioned hut in 125-degree heat all day long and be fine--their bodies are used to it.

When you go from doing everything possible to avoid the heat, your body gets used to that climate. Then you go straight into all-out triple digits, your body struggles to acclimate itself. Saw this all the time during my time back in Port Aransas. I waited tables outside all day, then would go fishing, surfing, or just hang out on the beach the rest of the day. I did fine outside.

Meanwhile, some of the summer islanders struggled with the heat quite a bit. And that was in 100% humidity. Put them out in Vernon, or somewhere else with relatively low humidity, the problem gets worse.

Antec
08-26-2009, 05:06 PM
Our newspaper office is just across the street from Bay City Junior High

As I was driving by leaving work I saw a bunch of 7th and 8th graders practicing on the field.

This was around 4 pm and pretty dang hot in the high 90s

Red50
08-26-2009, 06:28 PM
Terrible tragedy!

zebrablue2
08-26-2009, 06:49 PM
Prayers sent to the family!!!

maestro
08-26-2009, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Red50
Terrible tragedy!

i agree....

sweetwater07
08-27-2009, 04:47 AM
That's terrible to hear. This summer in basic training there were two soldiers die at ft benning because of the heat. And I know now at ft Sam Houston they are really stressing hydration to us. No energy drinks or coffee. Just water water and more water. It's crazy hot this year. Prayers to this kids parents from ft Sam Houston.

injuredinmelee
08-27-2009, 05:54 AM
terrible news. Prayers for the Vernon folks.

IrishTex
08-27-2009, 05:54 AM
Prayers for the family......

Additup
08-27-2009, 06:30 AM
In a 2004 Dallas Morning News article, Larry Kenney, past president of the American College of Sports Medicine stated "Almost every heatstroke death in football over the past 20 years has been on the first or second day of practice." (or on the first day in pads...)

Those are the big warning days for coaches.

Any indication if it was the jr. high's first day in pads or if it was the player's first day at practice? UIL mandates the first 4 days of practice be without pads to allow for heat acclimation.

My prayers are with all involved.

Pancake_Block
08-27-2009, 06:47 AM
Heartbreaking...Prayers from SE TX

kaorder1999
08-27-2009, 08:27 AM
acclimation to the heat is so very important and the youth of today and most parents of today dont fully understand it. Yes, UIL says that schools must have 4 days of no contact drills to acclimate to the heat but that is nowhere near enough time to get your body used to it!!!

lulu
08-27-2009, 12:08 PM
I am so sorry for this horrible incident. I did not see the post sooner but I send my sincere sympathy for the family and friends
and school staff.

May God strengthen you and hold you tightly with His loving arms.
I will pray for your comort and peace.

Macarthur
08-28-2009, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I think that absolutely has something to do with it. There's a reason Arab kids can hang out in an un-airconditioned hut in 125-degree heat all day long and be fine--their bodies are used to it.

When you go from doing everything possible to avoid the heat, your body gets used to that climate. Then you go straight into all-out triple digits, your body struggles to acclimate itself. Saw this all the time during my time back in Port Aransas. I waited tables outside all day, then would go fishing, surfing, or just hang out on the beach the rest of the day. I did fine outside.

Meanwhile, some of the summer islanders struggled with the heat quite a bit. And that was in 100% humidity. Put them out in Vernon, or somewhere else with relatively low humidity, the problem gets worse.

agree 100%

Acclimation is a big problem.

icu812
08-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Absolutely horrible.

I was watching my 7th grader practice this week and there were several kids throwing up after running a couple 300's around the field. Most of these kids were well over weight and the rest probably didn't spend much time outside over the summer. Coaches did a good job using a sprinkler type deal to cool em down between runs but as a parent I'd worry a little if it was my kido. Speaking of my kido, he and about 30 others spent 5 weeks over the summer in a speed camp, 3 days a week, outside in the heat. They had no problem and every kid tested faster and all I talked to actually gained weight. Mine gained 5 pounds with no lifting at all. Money well spent and it's paying off for him now a lot more than sitting on his rear playing video games all summer.