PDA

View Full Version : The 10-1 Rears its Ugly Head (Again)

BobcatBenny
08-26-2009, 12:40 AM
http://www.reporternews.com/news/2009/aug/24/deleon10-1/

De Leon taking a chance on the 10-1
By Evan Ren (Contact)
Monday, August 24, 2009

DE LEON — At first glance, the seldom-seen 10-1 defense looks like a one-way ticket to getting burned.

Experienced football coaches have looked at its diagrams for years and instantly scoffed at the premise behind it. Others have experimented with it, but quickly junked the scheme as soon as the risks were exploited.

At De Leon, however, the defense has found a home under the guidance of second-year coach Jason Ferguson — a disciple of the scheme’s developer, the legendary G.A. Moore.

The scheme shares some aspects of the old gap-eight and Chicago Bear “46” defenses, with the corners and strong safety, along with two linebackers, crowding the line of scrimmage. This often leaves the middle linebacker and free safety on an island — something most coaches deem too risky.

When properly run, however, the 10-1 has a proven track record that includes eight state championships won at Celina and Pilot Point by Moore (412-85-9), who has amassed more career wins than any coach in Texas prep football history.

“It’s an attacking-style of defense,” said Ferguson, who played under Moore at Pilot Point. “It’s a system that you have to sell out to and you have to believe in it.

“It’s an ‘attitude’ kind of defense, and if you don’t believe in it, you’re going to get lit up bad.”

As a result, the 10-1 is among the rarest defensive alignments employed at the high school level. So rare is the scheme, that only four Texas programs are known to employ it — Celina, Collinsville, De Leon and Aubrey — all which have direct ties to Moore.

The 70-year-old Moore, in fact, has come out of a five-year retirement to take over the program at Aubrey, ending a five-year hiatus from the game.

The idea behind the defense is simple: Bring more people than the offense can account for and destroy the play before it has a chance to develop. No thinking — just attacking.

“We believe that if we put enough pressure on you, we’ll put you in a situation where you don’t have time to react,” Ferguson said. “Hopefully, that will start messing with your head a little bit and we’ll gain momentum.

“We just teach our kids to tee-off and go. Just pin your ears back and go.”

There is, of course, some risk involved.

With every spare man charging through gaps in the offensive line, the corners in the 10-1 scheme must “jam” the wide receivers and prevent them from getting into the open field.

If a receiver succeeds in getting behind the coverage before the pass rush gets there, “they score,” said Ferguson with a laugh.

“We have to be as physical as possible,” he said. “We want to be as close to you as possible, and just be in your face all night.”

The defense does come with multiple looks, with the base set resembling the goal-line defense that Moore initially intended it to be. It is not uncommon to see eight or nine defenders in the box, seven of whom are stacked on the line of scrimmage. The most common look shown by De Leon is similar to the “46” defense, first popularized by former NFL coach Buddy Ryan at Chicago in the 1980s.

On paper, the scheme looks entirely beatable, particularly for teams that employ a modern spread offense.

“You can beat this defense on the chalkboard all day long,” assistant coach Brian Ramsey said. “But you get out there on the field and it’s a little different ballgame.”

Initially, even De Leon players were skeptical of the scheme. And after getting torched by Roscoe in their first scrimmage last season, doubt wasn’t in short supply.

“I thought it was going to be a long season at first,” linebacker Hayden Lewis said of the 10-1. “But after a while, we started getting better at it.”

In fact, the Bearcats got much better, using the 10-1 to post (ironically) a 10-1 record with three shutouts in 2008, while holding eight opponents to 10 points or less.

De Leon blazed through the regular season with a 10-0 record, and didn’t lose until a 31-3 loss to Quinlan Boles (13-1) in the bi-district round. It was the first time the Bearcats had posted double-digit wins in 19 years.

“At first I was kind of scared,” defensive back Tanner Welch said. “I didn’t know what I would be up against, but I adjusted to the defense and started liking it.”

All of this begs an obvious question: If the winningest coach in Texas high school football history invented this defense, and it has been met with nothing but success, why do only four schools in the state run it?

Part of that is due to a lack of information, since there is little or nothing printed on the 10-1 in circulation. Much of what makes this defense work properly exists in the minds of Moore and those who have coached with or played for him.

“A lot of people have tried to line up in this defense, but they didn’t know the technique,” said Ramsey, a Celina graduate. “And if you don’t play the technique right, you’ll get your teeth kicked in.”

Snyder coach Chad Rogers experimented with the 10-1 two years ago after visiting with Moore personally, but soon came to realize that it required an all-out commitment to achieve success.

The Tigers still use it on a limited basis but have decided against a total commitment.

“It’s not a defense that you can just put in and say ‘we’re gonna run it,’” Rogers said. “Celina’s kids have been running it since the third grade and they understand everything about it.

“We had to tweak it and go back to some other stuff we had been doing. We still use some of the alignments and reads, but as far as using a straight 10-1 defense, we don’t do it.”

Fear is another factor.

After studying the scheme, most coaches shy away from it because of its lack of a safety net.

“A lot of people look at our defense and say ‘you’re fixin’ to get burned,” Ramsey said. “But it’s about pressure and getting to the football. People look at it and think they’re going to eat our lunch.”

Even when Moore himself explains how to run his defense properly, most coaches simply won’t commit to it. He has given lectures on his scheme at coaching clinics, and diagrammed it in detail at a regional meeting, to no avail.

“I gave a lecture on it at coaches school one year and after I was finished, the coach from (Dallas) Pinkston came over and said, ‘Do you really think you can beat us with that defense? We’ll score all day long on that defense,’” recalled Moore, who was reached via telephone. “The next year, we played Pinkston and beat ’em 56-0 and that same coach came over to me after the game and asked if I’d diagram that defense for him again.”

The defense has been utilized as high as the 5A level by Moore, who took the scheme to Sherman in 1986-1987.

Taking over a team that went 0-10 the year before, Moore posted back-to-back 6-4 seasons at Sherman, before returning to Celina in 1988.

Still, many skeptics insist the 10-1 cannot be used successfully at the 5A level — especially in an era of spread offenses and aggressive passing games.

“I just laugh,” Moore said. “I’m not going to argue with those people. ... You can beat any offense or defense on a chalkboard, and whoever has the chalk last is going to win.

“It all boils down to execution and convincing the kids to get after it.”

In the meantime, Moore’s defense continues to win when properly employed. Last year, Celina was 12-4 at the 3A level, and Collinsville reached the Class-1A playoffs and finished at 6-5.

The small fraternity of coaches who keep the faith, however, will likely remain on the endangered species list.

Old Green
08-26-2009, 01:33 AM
Thanks . A very good article on the 10-1 defense.

Farmersfan
08-26-2009, 08:02 AM
I watched the Celina vs Lovejoy scrimmage and I was wondering why teams don't attack that 10-1 with the quick slant on every single play. The D-backs are basically taking advantage of the 5 yard rule to grab or jam the receiver but if the QB throws the quick slant then the "Jam" will become a pass interference. The D-backs were basically riding the receiver the whole 5 yards and under any rule interpretation it would be pass interference. I saw it called about 4 times in the Lovejoy scrimmage but do the refs not call it regularly in real games? It also seems that a quick lob over the top to a quick receiver would beat that "Jam" pretty regularly. Obviously it doesn't because of Celina's success but it's hard understand why it wouldn't.

BILLYFRED0000
08-26-2009, 08:05 AM
Hey Benny, Personally I am glad no one else runs it. I love it and believe in it but could you imagine someone from east texas with speed to burn running it to perfection. Tough tough tough tough.

bigwood33
08-26-2009, 08:11 AM
There is no 5 yard rule in high school or college. DB's can and should mug receivers anywhere on the field until the ball is in the air. The best high school db's understand that if the receiver is on the ground, he will never be open.
Too many people want to apply NFL coverage rules to NCAA coverage rules...and NCAA is what is used in Texas High School Football.
Mug 'em, it's legal.

Eagle 1
08-26-2009, 08:31 AM
I have seen Celina have success running the 10-1 a few times.
However, as I recall, when they tried running the 10-1 a couple of times against a very run heavy Hamilton team a few of years ago, Hamilton broke through the line twice for good yardage.
I'm no football genius, but if you can get just two blocks and create a seam for the back off tackle, (which is what Hamilton did) you can gain some positive yards.
I don't remember Collinsville running it last year, but when Goldthwaite played them we passed the ball well that night.
I guess we will find out this coming Friday how well it works when Goldthwaite plays Collinsville in Stephenville.:)

Nice article though.:clap:

BreckTxLonghorn
08-26-2009, 10:07 AM
The 70-year-old Moore, in fact, has come out of a five-year retirement to take over the program at Aubrey, ending a five-year hiatus from the game.

And now a message from the Department of Redundancy Department.....

good read though.

bigwood33
08-26-2009, 10:21 AM
With Celina the 10-1 or whatever variation Butch is running these days is only part of the program. No doubt the gamble is that the pressure will overwhelm an offense and create more negative plays than positive. But they also put immense pressure on special teams and opposing defenses. It is like playing a Nolan Richardson coached Razorback team when they were famous for "40 minutes of hell". On kickoffs they on-side kick...in any situation and sometimes on the opening kickoff! On kickoff returns their peel back blocking on the wall is absolutely devastating (better keep your head on a swivel). On offense their "smash mouth" reputation is well earned but they also hit for some big plays, both trick and conventional. A buddy of mine coaches at Sanger, I went to college with both he and his wife. He experienced the Celina pressure 1st hand for the 1st time last year told me "It was like a tidal wave, we couldn't stop it or get out of it's way". That is a pretty good way of describing it.
BTW, G.A. has always said that Butch came up with the 10-1 when he was G.A.'s DC....just saying.

BILLYFRED0000
08-26-2009, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I watched the Celina vs Lovejoy scrimmage and I was wondering why teams don't attack that 10-1 with the quick slant on every single play. The D-backs are basically taking advantage of the 5 yard rule to grab or jam the receiver but if the QB throws the quick slant then the "Jam" will become a pass interference. The D-backs were basically riding the receiver the whole 5 yards and under any rule interpretation it would be pass interference. I saw it called about 4 times in the Lovejoy scrimmage but do the refs not call it regularly in real games? It also seems that a quick lob over the top to a quick receiver would beat that "Jam" pretty regularly. Obviously it doesn't because of Celina's success but it's hard understand why it wouldn't.

It is difficult to explain and besides I don't want to. But the bottom line is you watched the very basic 10-1 with no stunts or drops from the line or linebacker corp. We beat China Springs in 07 with very good QB and receivers so obviously it works if coached correctly. But it comes down to one big key. Time for the qb and how well the defense disrupts it.

WildTexan972
08-26-2009, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Eagle 1
I have seen Celina have success running the 10-1 a few times.
However, as I recall, when they tried running the 10-1 a couple of times against a very run heavy Hamilton team a few of years ago, Hamilton broke through the line twice for good yardage.
I'm no football genius, but if you can get just two blocks and create a seam for the back off tackle, (which is what Hamilton did) you can gain some positive yards.
I don't remember Collinsville running it last year, but when Goldthwaite played them we passed the ball well that night.
I guess we will find out this coming Friday how well it works when Goldthwaite plays Collinsville in Stephenville.:)

Nice article though.:clap:

and if I recall properly, and I do because I was there everytime Celina played Hamilton, Celina won those games....the concept is not a guarantee to totally shut down an offense, but Celina did indeed shut Hamilton down enough to win those games....that 1st game on a Thanksgiving night in Cedar Hill was a great game, but the next game Celina flat killed Hamilton....

both those games were in the Streak, so I reckon the defense was working pretty good overall for about 68 straight games...

turbostud
08-26-2009, 11:14 AM
When did they start running the 10-1 defense? I played at S&S Consolidated in the late 80's and my older brother in the early 80's and PP and Celina always gave us a good spanking. Were they running it then?

PPSTATEBOUND
08-26-2009, 11:22 AM
scheme’s developer, the legendary G.A. Moore.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

False...

G.A. took the scheme from China Springs after they held PP's Premier Running back and Texas recruit to 38 total yards in the Quarter finals in the 1979 playoffs running the 10-1.

bevodidit
08-26-2009, 11:38 AM
The key word is commitment. It works for the programs that are committed to it. I don't care who invented it. Moore perfected selling it to his teams. Can't argue with the results.

Txbroadcaster
08-26-2009, 12:12 PM
The 10-1 works for a lot of reasons..One reason is it gets in the head of the opposing team. It is not like Celina or any team that runs it sends the house every play. It becomes a what will the Oline see each play and can they adjust and pick up the right blitzers.

So a coach thinks here comes the house and calls a slant, problem is the OLB drops into coverage, the QB thinking he has to get rid of the ball ASAP throws it into space and boom there is the OLB.

It is alot like the zone blitz in the NFL. It is not run every play, but you make teams THINK it is coming at anytime and it changes their play calling for the whole game

BuckeyeNut
08-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Run it on Gilmer and the Score will be 50-0 at the end of the first quarter :D :D

BILLYFRED0000
08-26-2009, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Black Flag
Run it on Gilmer and the Score will be 50-0 at the end of the first quarter :D :D

You think Gilmer is going to give up that many turnovers???:D

Daddy D 11
08-26-2009, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Black Flag

That's a whole lotta pick 6's:eek:

That 10-1 would make Stump wet himself.

I've always wanted LH to go to this, but the split 6 still works nicely...for the most part.
It'd still be cool to be one of like 5 teams that runs the 10-1 and maybe 4-5 that run the Slot-T every stinkin' play.

BleedOrange
08-26-2009, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
That's a whole lotta pick 6's:eek:

That 10-1 would make Stump wet himself.

I've always wanted LH to go to this, but the split 6 still works nicely...for the most part.
It'd still be cool to be one of like 5 teams that runs the 10-1 and maybe 4-5 that run the Slot-T every stinkin' play.

Talk about driving someone crazy...preparing for the Slot T and the 10-1. You would have nightmares thinking about it. I still have problems following the ball when I see films of LH when I know where its going. OUCH!!