08-25-2009, 03:29 PM
Vote and post your thoughts.

Ex-Tiger2005
08-25-2009, 03:35 PM
Close call for the Stangs!!!

20-18

IrishTex
08-25-2009, 03:36 PM
Looking forward to the new Mustang season and the new coach and new philosophy.

Looking forward to learning all about the team.

TheDOCTORdre
08-25-2009, 03:54 PM
Sweetwater wins a close one 28-24

GetRDoneStangs
08-25-2009, 03:59 PM
Both teams have new Head Coaches, with Burk's O.C. (Boswell) for past several years is now H.C.

I say lets reverse last year's score and go with the Mustangs 10-6.

DaHop72
08-25-2009, 04:01 PM
I say Swater in a close one. A little birdy I know told me he's concerned that the Mustangs don't have the break away speed they've had every other year. He said that one of the backs broke the line of scrimmage and was caught from behind.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

ccmom
08-25-2009, 04:08 PM
Sweetwater 21 --- Burk 17....just because I said so.:D

garciap77
08-25-2009, 04:23 PM
SW 28 Burk 7!

Go Stangs!:clap:

Phantom Stang
08-25-2009, 04:25 PM
Sweetwater 20
Burk 7

GetRDoneStangs
08-25-2009, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
I say Swater in a close one. A little birdy I know told me he's concerned that the Mustangs don't have the break away speed they've had every other year. He said that one of the backs broke the line of scrimmage and was caught from behind.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

But.....the receiver he was blocking for.....caught the pass and scored!!!!!!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Phantom Stang
08-25-2009, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
He said that one of the backs broke the line of scrimmage and was caught from behind.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Musta been a been a third string lineman, that the coach was giving a chance to carry the ball just once before the season starts.;)

At least I hope that's what it was.:hairpunk:

DaHop72
08-25-2009, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang

At least I hope that's what it was.:hairpunk: Unfortunately I'm afraid it was a starting running back. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Trashman
08-25-2009, 05:41 PM
Stangs 14
Dogs 7

:D

BurkFan
08-27-2009, 09:40 AM
I like last years scores verbatim:

Burk 10
SWater 6

RedWhiteBlue
08-27-2009, 09:47 AM
I go with our District brother.... hope they hand it to Burk- just like I'm hoping we hand it to them in a couple of weeks....:D

Bullaholic
08-27-2009, 09:55 AM
I think Burk is a lot better team this season than many think. Burk had a good team last season and I don't think they lost that many players to graduation. Sweetwater is adjusting to a new coach and system, so my instincts tell me Burk by 7 in this one. Apologies to my SW friends, but this is how I see this one.

BurkFan
08-27-2009, 10:02 AM
Hey Bull! Hope all is well with Bridgeport. Always a great team. We look forward to the game this year.

RedWhiteBlue...I am sure Graham will hand it to us this year. I am sure of it actually. Just like they did last year. (Oh by handing it to us I though you meant Steer's pride...doh...my bad!) :)

Just kidding. Always like playing Graham. Good kids and people in Graham.

VWG
08-27-2009, 04:06 PM
Burk and Sweetwater are rebuilding from last year, but Burk has better athletes coming back.
Burk's QB will be a good fit for the veer, Cornelius is a good runner. Big kid with a tough attitude.
They have one of the best D-lineman in the state in Barnes. He is a hoss and can dominate.
Burk 24 Mustangs 14

RedWhiteBlue
08-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by BurkFan
Hey Bull! Hope all is well with Bridgeport. Always a great team. We look forward to the game this year.

RedWhiteBlue...I am sure Graham will hand it to us this year. I am sure of it actually. Just like they did last year. (Oh by handing it to us I though you meant Steer's pride...doh...my bad!) :)

Just kidding. Always like playing Graham. Good kids and people in Graham.
Good one!!:p I plan on our game being a great game to watch this year. I know our boys are really hungry for some paybacks this year and we have the team to do it- just hoping it all comes together and the boys stay injury free.....:D

RedWhiteBlue
08-27-2009, 04:12 PM
By the way, thanks for the compliments on our players and fans!! That is always nice to hear...:D

BurkFan
08-27-2009, 04:17 PM
Yes let's hope all the kids stay healthy this year.

We really do like Graham. Great people there. Yummy Wildcatter too!

My son enjoyed playing Graham last year since he had a good game. Forced two fumbles, 3 sacks and had a pick on McCoy. He is hoping for a similar game this year. Told him it will probably be a different story this year.

RedWhiteBlue
08-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Yes let's hope all the kids stay healthy this year.

We really do like Graham. Great people there. Yummy Wildcatter too!

My son enjoyed playing Graham last year since he had a good game. Forced two fumbles, 3 sacks and had a pick on McCoy. He is hoping for a similar game this year. Told him it will probably be a different story this year.
Ima thinking you might be right!!:D But you guys have a very safe trip to G-Town!:)

Phantom Stang
08-27-2009, 04:40 PM
I like last years scores verbatim:

Burk 10
SWater 6
Does Burkburnett do a webcast of games?

BurkFan
08-27-2009, 04:43 PM
Not that I am aware of, no. Wichita Falls schools gets all the good toys and attention.

95mustang
08-27-2009, 04:48 PM
Got to go the the Sweetwater in this one. I do believe it will be close though. 17-14.

Phantom Stang
08-27-2009, 06:07 PM
I put this on another thread by mistake.

Slaughter to make Mustang debut vs. Bulldogs
Written by Ron Howell
Thursday, 27 August 2009

Though he has officially been Sweetwater’s head coach for a little over six months, Friday’s 7:30 p.m. season opener against Burkburnett at the TSTC Sammy Baugh Classic marks the actual Mustang debut for Craig Slaughter.
But if he’s feeling any pressure to continue the great success of his recent coaching predecessors, Slaughter is downplaying it.
“For me, the excitement (factor) is way ahead of the nervousness aspect,” he said Wednesday. “But I’d love to get off to a good start.”
So would the Mustangs, who began last season with a 10-6 loss to Burkburnett at the Times Record News Kickoff Classic in Wichita Falls before going on an eight-game winning streak and finishing the year at 10-3.
Slaughter hopes Sweetwater has better luck on its home turf against the Bulldogs, who also hired a new coach — Scott Boswell — after the sudden resignation of Bill Dalke last month. Burkburnett finished at 9-2 a year ago and is expected to be a strong team again. The Bulldogs are one of several tough foes on the Mustangs’ pre-district schedule, which also includes Clyde — Slaughter’s previous stop — plus Big Spring, Monahans and Seminole.
“I know our kids are excited about playing at home,” Slaughter said. “The fact that it’s the Sammy Baugh Classic makes it even better. But they’re a very good team. They’ve been ranked in the top 25 in a couple of polls. We’ll have to play well to win.”

http://www.sweetwaterreporter.com/content/view/164014/122/

Tweeder215
08-28-2009, 02:28 PM
Sweetwater by 14. I'll be there. StangRed, get your mind right. Are you going to dinner with us beforehand?

STANG RED
08-28-2009, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Tweeder215
Sweetwater by 14. I'll be there. StangRed, get your mind right. Are you going to dinner with us beforehand?

I dont think I have a choice. LOL
Not that I wouldnt have anyway. You ever seen me turn down dinner?
Travel safe.

garciap77
08-28-2009, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I dont think I have a choice. LOL
Not that I wouldnt have anyway. You ever seen me turn down dinner?
Travel safe.

Good Luck tonight! Glad to hear you are back to attend the SW game.:)

Stownhorse
08-28-2009, 04:24 PM
Dang, yall need to quit being so generous to the Mustangs lol. I've got Burk picked. I believe that the talent well has ran dry in Sweetwater.

IrishTex
08-28-2009, 04:55 PM
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/LewP/BaughSign.jpg

Let's go Ponies!!!!!

Sweetwater Red
08-28-2009, 06:40 PM
Teams are doing pre-game warm-up to Godsmack. Sweet! :D

Ranger Mom
08-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Teams are doing pre-game warm-up to Godsmack. Sweet! :D

Are you gonna update the board during the game?? If not...will you send me quarterly scores??

BurkFan
08-28-2009, 06:45 PM
Allen Buffet in Sweetwater is GOOD! Fried chicken rocks!

Sweetwater Red
08-28-2009, 06:54 PM
I'll text you updates RM. I didn't get to fully
charge my phone and updating a thread would
drain it. Maybe Phantom Stang will start a thread.

ASUFrisbeeStud
08-28-2009, 07:02 PM
Sweetwater 28
Burk 9

Phantom Stang
08-28-2009, 07:03 PM
Sweetwater is GOOD!
Yep:cool: :devil: :D

STANG RED
08-28-2009, 09:53 PM
Well I left the game with about 7 min to go. We had fumbled 7 times, and threw 1 int. Everytime the O would get something going, they'd end up turning the ball over. Our D spent the entire 3rd quarter on the field and finally gave up a score to brake the scoreless tie. It only took us a couple plays to turn it right back over to them, deep in our territory. A few plays later it was 14-0, which I knew was my cue to leave.
Take away those turnovers and we actually looked pretty good. Those and a few other offensive miscues are all very fixable though, so I think we'll be alright. It sure was getting ugly there at the end though. At least we know what desperatly needs to worked on.

Sweetwater Red
08-28-2009, 10:20 PM
What STANG RED said. :(

Nice to meet you BurkFan. Sorry it was only a
four poster M&G. They are usually bigger.

Good luck to your son and Burkburnet the rest
of the way.

BurkFan
08-28-2009, 10:59 PM
It was great to meet all iof you! I will be cheering for Sweetwater the rest of the way. The Mustangs have a storied tradiition and I have no doubt that will continue.

Thanks for the hospitality. Go Mustangs!

wildstangs
08-28-2009, 11:39 PM
Wow - Sweetwater lays a goose egg with that new wide open offense. Hope they get things clicking quick.

GetRDoneStangs
08-29-2009, 12:00 AM
It was great to meet all iof you! I will be cheering for Sweetwater the rest of the way. The Mustangs have a storied tradiition and I have no doubt that will continue.

Thanks for the hospitality. Go Mustangs!

Great to meet you as well...sorry about the stadium security at the scoreboard,,,,,they try to keep the "kids" in line and some of us older folks have to pay for it!!!

Good luck to the Dogs and hope your son has a safe and successful season!

All the Burk staff, players, fans were class acts. Met several coaches/players/support staff/fans prior to game time and all where great. Lot's of changes to Mustang Bowl = Lot's of changes to bus perking, gates.ets...I hope all that went well.

Good luck down the road!!

BEAST
08-29-2009, 12:00 AM
That offense will take time to develop. Trust me. By the end of the season it will be producing. By next year it will be really good.

BEAST

GetRDoneStangs
08-29-2009, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by BEAST
That offense will take time to develop. Trust me. By the end of the season it will be producing. By next year it will be really good.

BEAST

The offense actually looked pretty good.....:thinking: ......it is hard to turn it over as much as we did and stay in the game. They did stay in it and if we can get rid of the the turnover bug we will be in good shape.

I really like the new coaching staff......they seem to have a good handle of the kids and I am ready for next week!!

BEAST
08-29-2009, 12:11 AM
You guys just stay patient and give the staff a chance. the forward pass is kinda new to those kids. the coach yall have is good and he will get it handled.

BEAST

STANG RED
08-29-2009, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by BEAST
You guys just stay patient and give the staff a chance. the forward pass is kinda new to those kids. the coach yall have is good and he will get it handled.

BEAST

The passing game needs lots of work for sure, but thats not what really cost us. Fumbles is what killed us. Burk made some good hits to force some of those, but some were simply due to carrying the ball way too loose. Take away all those fumbles and I think we score a couple times. Seems like everytime the O would get a good rythem going and moving the ball well we'd fumble the ball.
But I did see a lot of things I liked. I wont make too many determinations till they get 3 or 4 more games under their belts. If we're not seeing lots of improvement in the troubled spots by then, we may be in for a long season. But I think all the biggest problems are completely fixable, so we should be very competitive every week, and should get some wins out of it.

BurkFan
08-29-2009, 09:50 AM
Can I call in another favor to my friends on the board?

Last night after the game just outside Stamford, while returning from the game, the parents, and we think a sibling, of one of our players was hit head-on by a supposedly drunk driver going south in the northbound lanes of 277. We literally rolled up on the accident as police were arriving. It was sheer chaos. The charter buses for the kids also rolled up and were parked right near the accident scene.

Initial reports are that they are hurt badly but nothing too serious. They were pinned in the car for a while.

If you can include the Hill family in your prayers we would sure appreciate it.

Trashman
08-29-2009, 10:18 AM

Last night after the game just outside Stamford, while returning from the game, the parents, and we think a sibling, of one of our players was hit head-on by a supposedly drunk driver going south in the northbound lanes of 277. We literally rolled up on the accident as police were arriving. It was sheer chaos. The charter buses for the kids also rolled up and were parked right near the accident scene.

Initial reports are that they are hurt badly but nothing too serious. They were pinned in the car for a while.

Consider it done! Prayers from Brownwood!

Mcguirk
08-29-2009, 10:27 AM

Prayers from Abilene too!

GetRDoneStangs
08-29-2009, 11:47 AM
Prayers from Sweetwater, please keep us informed!

RedWhiteBlue
08-29-2009, 12:30 PM
Prayers from Graham!!

BurkFan
08-30-2009, 08:11 AM
It appears that that the Hill family will be alright. Thank you all for the prayers.

I love this board!