PDA

View Full Version : Any electricians or those skilled with phone lines around?

BreckTxLonghorn
08-25-2009, 01:04 PM
Okay, so I've got ATT Uverse, which works really well, but everything comes from a phone line. My phone line is on one wall in the living, and the tv is on another, so now I have to run a cord across the floor.

My question: If I want to move that jack to the other wall, how easy would it be to do it myself? Or would it be better to have a pro do the install? And if I hire, what should I expect to pay for all of this?

Thanks!

Ranger Mom
08-25-2009, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Okay, so I've got ATT Uverse, which works really well, but everything comes from a phone line. My phone line is on one wall in the living, and the tv is on another, so now I have to run a cord across the floor.

My question: If I want to move that jack to the other wall, how easy would it be to do it myself? Or would it be better to have a pro do the install? And if I hire, what should I expect to pay for all of this?

Thanks!

It would be simple for me....but my dad worked for SBC for years, so I learned some stuff! :D

STANG RED
08-25-2009, 01:11 PM
Phone lines are easy. Just pay attention to what color wires they have connected to what terminal. Move it, then hook it back up the same way.
But if it were me, I'd just leave that one alone and run a new line to your phone box outside. Everythings color coded, so it's very easy.
It'll cost you a service call to have an electrician to come do it for you. $75 to $100 most likely. Most have at least a $75 minimum on any service call, then will charge for every 15 or 30 minutes thereafter.

BobcatBenny
08-25-2009, 01:54 PM
Do it yourself.

Feel the pride!

BreckTxLonghorn
08-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Thanks to all; after conferring, I may just attempt this myself! Though probably not running a new line, as it is a condo and it may be too much hassle, but I'm checking up on all the stuff in the attic tonight. If you got any tips and pointers, bring it!

I just realized this was in the 'wrong' forum, it can be moved if necessary:p

waterboy
08-25-2009, 02:19 PM
Dropping walls is NO easy task! You better invest in some glow rods!

LE Dad
08-25-2009, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
Do it yourself.

Feel the pride! :rolleyes: Rocket will do it if you register on Brownwoods web site:clap: :clap:

STANG RED
08-25-2009, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Thanks to all; after conferring, I may just attempt this myself! Though probably not running a new line, as it is a condo and it may be too much hassle, but I'm checking up on all the stuff in the attic tonight. If you got any tips and pointers, bring it!

I just realized this was in the 'wrong' forum, it can be moved if necessary:p

You might want to check on a wireless module. They make transmitter you can plug into the jack, and a reciever that you can put behind your TV. I have no idea what they cost, but I dont think their too high. You might check radio shack out. I dont like most of their stuff, but this might not be bad.

TheDOCTORdre
08-25-2009, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
:rolleyes: Rocket will do it if you register on Brownwoods web site:clap: :clap:

and if you can guess exactly how long he will be working on it he will give you a free membership to the game film section

GetRDoneStangs
08-25-2009, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
You might want to check on a wireless module. They make transmitter you can plug into the jack, and a reciever that you can put behind your TV. I have no idea what they cost, but I dont think their too high. You might check radio shack out. I dont like most of their stuff, but this might not be bad.

Good idea, Stang.....

We used one of those a few years ago as we where moving the tv and satellite receiver around the room and other parts of the house.

I think we paid like $75, but you could move your phone line to any place in the house where you have a plug.

Very much worth looking into IMO !!!!

Mcguirk
08-25-2009, 06:31 PM
Man I'm glad football is back. My first post since Dec. Everything is color coded. The wires should be red, green, yellow, black. The box you can open outside your house should have the same color wires and connections, and the wall outlet you buy should have letters coresponding to the colors next to the screw terminals. As long as it was wired properly from the start, all you have to do is match up the color coded wires and terminals and it ahould work fine.

sinton66
08-25-2009, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Mcguirk
Man I'm glad football is back. My first post since Dec. Everything is color coded. The wires should be red, green, yellow, black. The box you can open outside your house should have the same color wires and connections, and the wall outlet you buy should have letters coresponding to the colors next to the screw terminals. As long as it was wired properly from the start, all you have to do is match up the color coded wires and terminals and it ahould work fine.

This is a digital line. Run Cat5 cable. There are eight wires in an RJ45 connection, so the colors are white/blue, blue/white, white/orange, orange/white, white/green, green/white, white/brown, and brown/white. Hook all of them up according to color match. (The only ones used are the orange and green pairs if the current installation was done correctly, but it's best to hook all of them up.)

Mcguirk
08-25-2009, 07:19 PM
It's been a long time since I worked for SW Bell. Sorry, and I'll shut up now. :doh:

BreckTxLonghorn
08-26-2009, 11:57 AM
Thanks for all the help. I attached a photo of where the jack is and where I want to move it to. That shouldn't be too hard to move the drop, should it?

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx185/mlmartin3/phoneplugmove.jpg

BobcatBenny
08-26-2009, 12:21 PM
By the appearances of it, should be easy.

There should even be a hole in the top plate to drop the wire ... based on the thermostat location.

And ... I do not believe there will be any insulation in that wall ... so you should just be able to let gravity handle the drop.

I would do it ... then take the rest of the day off ... all proud of myself ... and drink many many cold ones. :)