PDA

View Full Version : Region IV GOTW: Bandera vs La Vernia

R4Editor
08-23-2009, 09:46 PM
Two teams that went undefeated in their respective districts last year and are expected to do the same this year.

Bandera has the DCTF pre-season all-state QB in Cole Hubble.

The undisputed king of Region IV football, Cuero, has lost exactly one game to another 3A team from Region IV in the last 5 years, last year vs. La Vernia.

These two teams fly under the radar a bit with all the press that the D25 teams and Cuero attract, but both could be serious regional contenders come playoff time.

minivan
08-24-2009, 01:55 PM
this should be a good one. bandara may have the adv. being at home.

crabman
08-24-2009, 07:29 PM
The undisputed king of Region IV football, Cuero, has lost exactly one game to another 3A team from Region IV in the last 5 years

Wow. I knew the Gobblers were on a roll but I have never seen it put in those terms before. Actually I went back and looked. Wimberly beat us in the Regional Final in 2006 so that is two losses.

pirate4state
08-24-2009, 10:08 PM
Will one of you nice ladies add a poll? i feel like voting this year.

R4Editor
08-25-2009, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by crabman
The undisputed king of Region IV football, Cuero, has lost exactly one game to another 3A team from Region IV in the last 5 years

Wow. I knew the Gobblers were on a roll but I have never seen it put in those terms before. Actually I went back and looked. Wimberly beat us in the Regional Final in 2006 so that is two losses.

Two losses in five years is still fairly good:D

Not many teams in that span have matched the Gobbler's intensity and La Vernia did last year, and I think they'll bring that same intensity to Bandera this Friday.

SHSBulldog00
08-26-2009, 11:11 AM
Dog's stick together so I have to go with the home team Bandera.

CueroDad08
08-26-2009, 12:41 PM
I'll have to take La Vernia in this one.
Will be a good test for the Bandera QB, see how well he handles pressure.

SintonFan_inAustin
08-26-2009, 07:31 PM
La Vernia offensive line and QB Seth Grubb(last year stats, 1257 passing yds/940 rushing yds) should provide enough offense to win this game by couple of tds.

La Vernia 27 Bandera 14

bandera7
08-27-2009, 08:55 PM
I say Bandera pride keeps this close, but La Vernia wins, 35-27

dude
08-28-2009, 12:17 PM
nice choice for GOW and nice write up..I say the Bandera QB leads he team to victory in this one

IHStangFan
08-28-2009, 04:41 PM
This is a tough one......could go either way...but something is telling me Bandera takes it by a slim margin.

bandera7
08-28-2009, 10:05 PM
16-7 bandera down...3 or 4 mins. left. QB Hubble broke nose Im told, sent to the hospital for it during 2nd quarter.

gobbler grad
08-28-2009, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by bandera7
16-7 bandera down...3 or 4 mins. left. QB Hubble broke nose Im told, sent to the hospital for it during 2nd quarter.

ouch...hope he's ok

44INAROW
08-28-2009, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by bandera7
dang, hate to hear that - hopefully he's OK...

banderafan
08-28-2009, 11:08 PM
All things considered, Bandera played a damn good game. We lost our QB (Hubble) midway through the second quarter to a badly broken nose. Our back-up Sophomore QB did a NICE job, but we are not the same offense without Hubble. Our defense did an outstanding job. We didn’t give up an offensive TD tonight (1-TD was a kickoff return, and 3-FG’s). Hats off to LaVernia, they played well enough to win.

bandera7
08-30-2009, 04:34 AM
The way I hear it, the story of the game and likely story of the season for Bandera was Seniors DE Zach Young and LB Tyler Stevens...as Im told not a tackle they werent both involved in.

Pudlugger
08-30-2009, 05:23 AM
With the face guards they have nowadays the only way you can get a broken nose is if the helmet is pulled or pushed down onto the bridge of the nose. I would imagine QB Hubble's chin strap was either too loose or it failed on a hard head down hit. A broken nose hurts like the devil and causes extreme confusion and disorientation. It can require some time to heal and maybe corrective surgery so let's all hope this fine young athlete has a speedy recovery.

Note to you young whipper snappers out there. Back in the day when old Pud was playing ball we had this ridiculus single bar faceguard. I was an OT. The first snap of every game the DT would try to forearm you in the nose. I had several bloody noses in my short career and a pretty banged up snoz to show for it. Mrs Pud says it lends me character. Snoring is another thing though LOL.:)