PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer vs. Jasper

easttexas3a
08-22-2009, 06:10 PM
This game will be played ona neutral field of Stephen F Austin's Homer Bryce Friday night.

I expect Gilmer to be better then last years team, and Jasper to not be quite as good. That being said Gilmer won last years contest 56-21. This year I will go with 56-14.

poisoned10
08-23-2009, 03:13 AM
I think Gilmer wins as well. Gilmer's offense appears to be in stride already (judging by the stats of the scrimmages) while Jasper is under new coaching and schemes.

Gilmer wins by a similar score as last year.

JHS_c/o_06'
08-23-2009, 04:04 AM
There was a time, when I played for Jasper, that it was not a question as to whether we would win or not, but rather should we put the second string in before or after the half?

Should have never let Danny Lauve and company go.

BuckeyeNut
08-23-2009, 07:52 AM
Gilmer's Def will show up and put a big hurt on Jasper sore is 63-10

Additup
08-23-2009, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
There was a time, when I played for Jasper...
Lots of things have changed in Jasper over the past few years - not just coaches. Most obvious change is a BIG drop off in athletic talent level.
Jasper kids will continue to work hard, the new coach and staff will keep the game closer than most think just by keeping the clock running...Gilmer wins the game, but Jasper gains something to build off of.

LE Dad
08-23-2009, 08:31 AM
:doh: :doh: :doh:
Last years game is probably why there is a new coach. Jasper, what were you thinking?

jdawg2012
08-23-2009, 10:15 AM
There was a time, when I played for Jasper, that it was not a question as to whether we would win or not, but rather should we put the second string in before or after the half?

Should have never let Danny Lauve and company go.

I agree. Coach Lauve was awesome!

jdawg2012
08-23-2009, 10:17 AM
I dont think Jasper will win but its not going to be a blowout like everyone is thinking. 28-10 Gilmer

LE Dad
08-23-2009, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by jdawg2012
I dont think Jasper will win but its not going to be a blowout like everyone is thinking. 28-10 Gilmer Saw Gilmer scrimmage. They have a 3yr starter at QB, he is 100 % better than when we played them last year. They look really good on offense. You are not going to hold them to 28 unless you have an awesome group of DBs.:hand: :dispntd:

Pancake_Block
08-23-2009, 11:11 AM
It will be a very long year for Jasper.
Hopefully with a new coach they can get their program turned around.

poisoned10
08-23-2009, 11:19 AM
WO-S all mighty defense didn't hold Gilmer to 28 last year.

Didn't we nearly score that in the 1st half?

IHStangFan
08-23-2009, 11:20 AM
Gilmer by a bunch.

Buckeye80
08-23-2009, 06:37 PM
So does Jasper make the playoffs this year, or are we staring at a possible Gilmer vs Carthage round one!!!??

JasperDog94
08-23-2009, 10:35 PM

Should have never let Danny Lauve and company go. I seem to remember Coach Lauve having some great seasons right after Brooks left utilizing the system Brooks had in place. I also seem to remember Lauve leaving after a pretty miserable two year stretch.

BTW - My prediction is:

Gilmer - too much
Jasper - not enough

LE Dad
08-23-2009, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I seem to remember Coach Lauve having some great seasons right after Brooks left utilizing the system Brooks had in place. I also seem to remember Lauve leaving after a pretty miserable two year stretch.

BTW - My prediction is:

Gilmer - too much
Jasper - not enough Not always the coach. High school demographics have a lot to do with it. 5-10 yrs from now you may be Gilmer and Gilmer you. Everyone takes their lumps .

Buckeye80
08-23-2009, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
Not always the coach. High school demographics have a lot to do with it. 5-10 yrs from now you may be Gilmer and Gilmer you. Everyone takes their lumps .

That's very true! Of course our lumps won't be here for at least two more years! :D

And bring the pain Leopards!! We'll see ya in Week 2! Where is the stadium? :D

LE Dad
08-23-2009, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
That's very true! Of course our lumps won't be here for at least two more years! :D

And bring the pain Leopards!! We'll see ya in Week 2! Where is the stadium? :D :clap: Coming in on 59 just after you pass under the Loop overpass. You will take a right at nxt light Leopard Dr. You will go Qtr mi school n field on ur left. Not as nice as ya'lls but it is what we have.

waterboy
08-24-2009, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by poisoned10
WO-S all mighty defense didn't hold Gilmer to 28 last year.

Didn't we nearly score that in the 1st half?
Gilmer led that game 28-9 at the half. WO-S got to within 28-23 before Gilmer got their last TD. The final was 35-23.

This game should be a Gilmer win. I'm not much worried about the margin.;)

poisoned10
08-24-2009, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
This game should be a Gilmer win. I'm not much worried about the margin.;)

Exactly. Although I do enjoy the wins with a larger margin of victory more. Close games are bad for my blood pressure.

BuckeyeNut
08-24-2009, 10:40 AM
Stump is wanting to put up some big numbers this year. Every game is going to be full blast all game long. Makes for bad habits to pull back in a game.

JasperDog94
08-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Black Flag
Stump is wanting to put up some big numbers this year. Every game is going to be full blast all game long. Makes for bad habits to pull back in a game. That's also a great way to make some enemies once the game is in hand. First half go all out, but once the second half has started and you are clearly playing an inferior opponent it's time to call off the dogs.

I'm not saying anyone is running up the score, but if that is perceived to be happening then expect some teams to exact some form of payback.

I'm just sayin'...

BuckeyeNut
08-24-2009, 11:08 AM
That's also a great way to make some enemies once the game is in hand. First half go all out, but once the second half has started and you are clearly playing an inferior opponent it's time to call off the dogs.

I'm not saying anyone is running up the score, but if that is perceived to be happening then expect some teams to exact some form of payback.

I'm just sayin'...

I have seen us up 28-0 at the half then in the 4th its 21-28 bc we have backed off. In this game when you can score 28 points in a quarter its hard to back off.

LE Dad
08-24-2009, 11:15 AM
That's also a great way to make some enemies once the game is in hand. First half go all out, but once the second half has started and you are clearly playing an inferior opponent it's time to call off the dogs.

I'm just sayin'... :confused: Gilmer does not stop. Bunch of folks...err Tatum to name one...do not particularly like them for that reason. I totally respect them. If you don't want to get blown out stop them, if you can't stop them don't schedule them.:clap: :clap:

JasperDog94
08-24-2009, 11:15 AM
I have seen us up 28-0 at the half then in the 4th its 21-28 bc we have backed off. In this game when you can score 28 points in a quarter its hard to back off. Absolutely. If Jasper was up 28 to 0, I wouldn't want them to back off at the beginning of the second half. I'm talking about being up by 40 points on a team by the half or early in the second half and still leaving your starters in to run up the score. I'm not saying you guys are doing that, I'm just using that as an example.

I've also been on the sidelines and heard a coach tell his team that he wanted to score one more time to rub it in when the game was already won...and they did. (no longer in 3A)

I understand where you are coming from. I would just be careful about making statements about "putting up big numbers" because some people may get the wrong idea. That's all.

Oh, and I would wish you guys good luck this Friday, but I seriously doubt that you'll need it. ;) Hopefully the bulldogs can keep it competitive, but I won't hold my breath.

JasperDog94
08-24-2009, 11:17 AM
:confused: Gilmer does not stop. Bunch of folks...err Tatum to name one...do not particularly like them for that reason. I totally respect them. If you don't want to get blown out stop them, if you can't stop them don't schedule them.:clap: :clap: Then I guess sportsmanship is out the window?

waterboy
08-24-2009, 11:23 AM
Back in '06, we had way too many games that were decided in the first half........as a matter of fact, all of the regular season games were. We never ran into any real stiff competition until the 1st round of the playoffs, where we lost to a good Liberty-Eylau team. I don't want to see us run out of gas when we actually do meet those good teams, so I wouldn't be surprised to see most of the starters for 3 quarters, regardless of the score. We have a much tougher schedule now for that very reason. It hurt us when the playoffs rolled around.

BuckeyeNut
08-24-2009, 11:29 AM
Back in '06, we had way too many games that were decided in the first half........as a matter of fact, all of the regular season games were. We never ran into any real stiff competition until the 1st round of the playoffs, where we lost to a good Liberty-Eylau team. I don't want to see us run out of gas when we actually do meet those good teams, so I wouldn't be surprised to see most of the starters for 3 quarters, regardless of the score. We have a much tougher schedule now for that very reason. It hurt us when the playoffs rolled around.

I am right there with you on that water. I am so happy we finally have some good games before we go into District Play. Because we all know the District games are all going to be a joke.

LE Dad
08-24-2009, 11:44 AM
I am right there with you on that water. I am so happy we finally have some good games before we go into District Play. Because we all know the District games are all going to be a joke. :2thumbsup I am so glad you guys moved to Region 3. Thats the only reason we are playing, + no more 1st round wars. You were hands down our toughest game till the Championship in 06and I think we were pretty tough on you guys in 07 ...:clap: :clap:

BuckeyeNut
08-24-2009, 11:49 AM
:2thumbsup I am so glad you guys moved to Region 3. Thats the only reason we are playing, + no more 1st round wars. You were hands down our toughest game till the Championship in 06and I think we were pretty tough on you guys in 07 ...:clap: :clap:

I remember ever one in school having on the BEAT LE shirts on. K-12 it was crazy.

LE Dad
08-24-2009, 12:38 PM
I remember ever one in school having on the BEAT LE shirts on. K-12 it was crazy. :D I would really like to see this become an annual game. We only have 1 rival and we hate them year around. It's nice to have someone to joke with cept for those 3 hours you scream across field at each other.:D

JasperDog94
08-24-2009, 01:42 PM
Back in '06, we had way too many games that were decided in the first half........as a matter of fact, all of the regular season games were. We never ran into any real stiff competition until the 1st round of the playoffs, where we lost to a good Liberty-Eylau team. I don't want to see us run out of gas when we actually do meet those good teams, so I wouldn't be surprised to see most of the starters for 3 quarters, regardless of the score. We have a much tougher schedule now for that very reason. It hurt us when the playoffs rolled around. I think scheduling tougher opponents (like it looks like you have) will solve this problem. I'm just not a fan of running up the score. It causes much animosity between schools and that's when things tend to get out of hand.

Aesculus gilmus
08-24-2009, 02:06 PM
:D I would really like to see this become an annual game. We only have 1 rival and we hate them year around. It's nice to have someone to joke with cept for those 3 hours you scream across field at each other.:D

I don't know how much of a chance it has, but there's a proposal to split the two divisions BEFORE the season even gets started. If this ever happened, LE and Gilmer would no doubt both be in the Division I district of NE Texas. I have said before that I think it will fail because of the superintendents objecting to greater travel distances.

I remember your stadium, Harris Field, when it was brand-new and, in fact, played on it. This was early- to mid-1970s. We always thought it was funny that there was a federal prison right there in the neighborhood. One time I went to a UIL spelling competition at your school (we were in the same district with you--7-3A). We saw the exit for the "correctional institution" and I said "that must be where they're going to send our papers to be graded."

waterboy
08-24-2009, 03:14 PM
I think scheduling tougher opponents (like it looks like you have) will solve this problem. I'm just not a fan of running up the score. It causes much animosity between schools and that's when things tend to get out of hand.
I know there's a possibility of it getting ugly........then again, maybe not. I just hope the Buckeyes are able to get enough reps in with the first team before it becomes a blowout. I'm not saying it's going to be a blowout, but........you know what I mean. Jasper is a classy team and I would hate for any animosity to be held against us. I'll be the first to admit that, at times, it looked like Gilmer was running up the score, but I know it was more of a "working on the Buckeyes" thing than it was a "running up the score" thing. It still doesn't make it easy on the opponent. Believe me, I know what it feels like to be on the other end of one of those type games.:(

LE Dad
08-24-2009, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
I don't know how much of a chance it has, but there's a proposal to split the two divisions BEFORE the season even gets started. If this ever happened, LE and Gilmer would no doubt both be in the Division I district of NE Texas. I have said before that I think it will fail because of the superintendents objecting to greater travel distances.

I remember your stadium, Harris Field, when it was brand-new and, in fact, played on it. This was early- to mid-1970s. We always thought it was funny that there was a federal prison right there in the neighborhood. One time I went to a UIL spelling competition at your school (we were in the same district with you--7-3A). We saw the exit for the "correctional institution" and I said "that must be where they're going to send our papers to be graded." FCI is a good teaching tool. Kid gives you a problem just carry him to the window and point.:evillol:

BwdLions
08-25-2009, 08:22 AM
Gilmer's Def will show up and put a big hurt on Jasper sore is 63-10

Surely Jasper will be better than that. When's the last time they had a good team?

BuckeyeNut
08-25-2009, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by BwdLions
Surely Jasper will be better than that. When's the last time they had a good team?

I have not seen then in a while maybe in 05.

waterboy
08-25-2009, 09:57 AM
I know Jasper was good in '04. They lost in the state championship game to Gilmer by a 49-47 score. Last year was the only the second meeting between these two teams, in which Gilmer won 56-28.

j_dog
08-25-2009, 11:35 AM
I seem to remember Coach Lauve having some great seasons right after Brooks left utilizing the system Brooks had in place. I also seem to remember Lauve leaving after a pretty miserable two year stretch.
Well said. That last year was a disaster. Began the year with enough talent to challenge a very good 4a Livingston team, then things just gradually fell apart.

waterboy
08-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Does anybody know anything about Jasper's team this year? How did they do in their scrimmages?

j_dog
08-25-2009, 10:31 PM
Does anybody know anything about Jasper's team this year? How did they do in their scrimmages?
Didn't see them. But Jasper scrimmaged two 4a teams.

Jasper 1 Mt. Pleasant 0 in a controlled scrimmage.

Jasper tied Nederland 1-1 in the controlled scrimmage and lost 7-16 in the game condition part of the scrimmage.

The story is that Jasper is short on size, but does have a bit of speed.

easttexas3a
08-26-2009, 04:37 AM
I heard they run some power I type of offense now. Seems like they spread it out pretty good last year, but now they run the I so I expect em to try and pound it, play a little keep away.

Think it will be a good game for Gilmer to get a little dose of power running considering the tougher teams we play will run the ball well, including in the playoffs the teams that have had success have been able to gash us running the ball.

Aesculus gilmus
08-26-2009, 10:20 AM
I would not even be considering going to this game had Jasper not switched to a running game. That might shorten the length from 4 hours to 3.5.

However, probably not, because it is likely Jasper will fall behind by three TDs or more early on (I think that's what happened last year) and then feel compelled to resort to the air for the rest of the game.

That's one thing EVERYBODY knows about playing Gilmer. You had better not get three TDs down or more unless you also run the Spread. The game I remember it not really mattering how much either team was up or down at any given moment was the 61-58 second round playoff loss to Canton in 2005.

j_dog
08-26-2009, 04:12 PM
The air is not the only way to come back from a 3 TD deficit. Remember 04 when Jasper was down by 3 TDs? As I remember it was running primarily that got them back into the game.

I don't know what will happen. I do expect Gilmer to prevail. But it may be much closer than folks expect. I just have this feeling .......

somewhat like back in 04 when few people gave Jasper any chance of trading scores with Gilmer.

poisoned10
08-26-2009, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by j_dog
The air is not the only way to come back from a 3 TD deficit. Remember 04 when Jasper was down by 3 TDs? As I remember it was running primarily that got them back into the game.

It was 2 or 3 INT's and some big roll out passing plays that got Jasper back in that game.

j_dog
08-26-2009, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by poisoned10
It was 2 or 3 INT's and some big roll out passing plays that got Jasper back in that game.
True on the interceptions for sure. That is a good way to stop drives. Yes, there were some short pass and run plays for good yardage that seemed to catch Gilmer off balance. I don't remember any Hail Mary type passes which is more what I was alluding to.

waterboy
08-26-2009, 05:06 PM
Actually, the Buckeye defensive players were gased. All the way up to the championship game the defensive players were rotated regularly, but for some reason they did not rotate at all in the championship game. It doesn't help when the other team has a whole lot of speed either.....:D Those 3 straight turnovers on successive possessions late in the third and early in the 4th quarters were huge in the momentum shift. The Buckeyes were hanging on to the win for dear life.

Additup
08-26-2009, 09:14 PM
A 22 point lead can evaporate pretty quickly when you throw 3 ints in 3 drives...