PDA

View Full Version : Bellville Brahmas vs Caldwell Hornets?

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-22-2009, 09:46 AM
Week 0 is here and so is Friday Night Football, The Brahmas travel to Caldwell for both teams 1st game of the season. Give your prediction and insight on this game.

Bull's-eye
08-22-2009, 02:21 PM
How has Caldwell been doing? Hadn't heard too much from their posters. Bellville better work on their run defense, the Hornets love to run the ball. Should be a great game to start the 2009 season.

cntdwn
08-22-2009, 03:39 PM
Caldwell's #20 in 3A Massey ratings.

if articles in area newspapers are an indication, the Hornets are loaded on offense with two backs returning from stellar 2008 seasons after miscues against the Brahmas in the road opener. One back (Woolverton) had over 1,300 yards (7.4 yards average) and Scott ran for over 1,100 for 9 yards per carry average. Passing improved also. QB Cumby has a couple good receivers I hear.

You don't hear about many teams scoring 8 TD's in something like a scrimmage, but a paper stated they did and held Lexington's first team offense to one score and the second team to one which is a huge defense improvement from past 2 yrs. caldwell outscored a strong deep 2A playoff team New Waverly 4-1 I hear.

Bellville and Waco Connally will be big tests before district. Look for Caldwell to have its first 3 consecutive year postseason appearance. Region III is a doozy though. Third round of playoffs possible, but a big maybe.

Can't afford to slip in district. Tough road games in Rockdale and Cameron. Even Rudder will be out for blood after the 72-18 sting they got last year.

Caldwell over Bellville by 6.

11as1
08-23-2009, 10:53 AM
I believe that if the hornets come with intensity and the brahmas come out flat as it has been seen lately, caldwell will jump out to an early lead which they won't surrender easily with their no huddle offense that will test the conditioning and mental strength of the bulls. However, I expect the lesdership of the brahmas will finally step up. But to do this they'll need their so called captains to step. Better do it bulls made us proud!!!!!

IHStangFan
08-23-2009, 11:05 AM
Based on what I've read......

Caldwell moved one of their WR from last year over to QB, which may effect their passing game. They DO however return 2 1000+yd rushers. The majority of their OL is back including a 2-time all district O-lineman.

Bellville if I'm not mistaken has a new coach....which could mean there will be an adjustment period for the Brahmas. They return their QB and RB from last year, both of which were effective.

All of this considered, gimme a close game w/ Bellville digging deep and coming up w/ a 27-21 OT win.

OldBison75
08-23-2009, 11:21 AM
This should be a really good game. Caldwell has something to prove to Bellville after last year and they proved all through the season that the loss to Bellville was a fluke. I think that Bellville should still win, but the Hornets will give them all they want. If Bellville slip up a little or has a turnover or two, Caldwell will have a good chance of winning.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-23-2009, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
This should be a really good game. Caldwell has something to prove to Bellville after last year and they proved all through the season that the loss to Bellville was a fluke.

Why would Caldwells loss to Bellville be a fluke? Bellville did make it to the R4 finals.

Bull's-eye
08-23-2009, 01:15 PM
This should be a really good game. Caldwell has something to prove to Bellville after last year and they proved all through the season that the loss to Bellville was a fluke. I think that Bellville should still win, but the Hornets will give them all they want. If Bellville slip up a little or has a turnover or two, Caldwell will have a good chance of winning.

Bellville won last year 44-14, but most would agree that Caldwell was a much better team than the score indicated. I wouldn't go as far to say the loss was a fluke, but definitely the score. Opening night jitters & mistakes could easily decide the outcome. If Bellville wins the turnover battle, they should escape with the victory.

OldBison75
08-23-2009, 01:32 PM
I did not mean that Bellville winning was a fluke--I meant that Caldwell was a much better team that they showed in that game. I don't know if they would have won a rematch later in the year--but I know the score would have been much closer and the game much better.

SORRY TO HAVE INSINUATED THAT BELLVILLE IS NOT THE GREATEST TEAM IN TEXAS!!!!!!!!

cntdwn
08-23-2009, 02:08 PM
Caldwell fumbled and was intercepted during a total of at least three scoring threats against B'ville last year which is part of the game. Three weeks later, it likely would have been a 10-point Bellville win everything considered so don't take anything away from da Bulls.

One thing for sure. Caldwell could quite possibly be the biggest darkhouse this year in 3A and they end up flying under the radar for the first three or four weeks year in and year out until - bam - "gee, Caldwell must be pretty good." Expect the same, no reason to believe differently this early.

With 40 varsity players, the most depth the program has had ever, I think, I don't see them winning fewer than seven games. I say 8-4 or 9-3 season. At home, there's something to prove to the Brahmas after last year's embarrassment. No doubt Bellville's a tougher place to win for Caldwell. That 29-28 loss in the final seconds three years ago was a tale for the centuries.

The Orange Crush is right where they want to be,picked fourth out of seven and dismissed by "contenders."

The scorekeeper will deserve overtime pay for this one.

Bull's-eye
08-23-2009, 03:54 PM
Good post cntdwn! This will be a tough game for both teams, I'm sure there's a hornet's nest waiting for the Brahmas. Good luck to both teams!

Any good eating places in Caldwell? How is the Bull's-Eye BBQ?

cntdwn
08-23-2009, 05:36 PM
May have the name wrong but Rockin R is a good restaurant just north of Wal-Mart on SH 36 on the left. Haven't been to the Surrey Inn in a while, but it had improved when i ate there months ago. A good Chinese Restaurant is on Highway 21 on the right just before Dollar General on the left. It is right next to the local newspaper (Burleson County Tribune) office. Besides, that Pizza Hut, DQ, Sonic, Golden Chick and the other traditional places. There's a couple other ones, including Mexican restaurant (Masfajitas) where old Pizza Hut was,and another I think coming into Caldwell from Somerville on the left.Keep your eyes peeled. (unless it shut down due to location).

duckhunter
08-23-2009, 06:27 PM
i hear the czech inn is nice

Bull's-eye
08-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by duckhunter
i hear the czech inn is nice

I'll have to check, but isn't that in Weimar?

Bull's-eye
08-23-2009, 07:49 PM
SORRY TO HAVE INSINUATED THAT BELLVILLE IS NOT THE GREATEST TEAM IN TEXAS!!!!!!!!

We forgive you. :D

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, but your first post came out as the loss was a fluke. Glad you cleared things up. :)

duckhunter
08-23-2009, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
I'll have to check, but isn't that in Weimar?

no need to czech, it is. but i was recently czeching the want adds in the local newspaper and they are opening a new location in caldwell. you might wanna czech though and see if the new location is open before your travels to beautiful caldwell

Bull's-eye
08-23-2009, 09:06 PM
What time is czech in? czech out?

trg
08-24-2009, 09:22 AM
Good luck to the Bulls against Caldwell. We'll be yelling for you. Hopefully the road will be clear from East Bernard to Caldwell. :D

11as1
08-24-2009, 05:52 PM
Yes good luck to both teams in this sure to be hard fought game. But i'm sure all the faint of heart are glad joe tallerine is gone so no little water boys get their nose broken again.

bvillebrahma010
08-24-2009, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by 11as1
Yes good luck to both teams in this sure to be hard fought game. But i'm sure all the faint of heart are glad joe tallerine is gone so no little water boys get their nose broken again.

lol! that is funny! poor fella! bellville will wake up come friday night!!

cntdwn
08-24-2009, 10:21 PM
Caldwell's not real big on forgiving and forgetting either. (44-14)

HEMOTOXIC
08-24-2009, 10:57 PM
I think all would agree that the Hornets were much improved by the time district rolled around last season. Of course, this is a new year, so we will see what happends in Caldwell. This will be an early tough test for both teams. Will the Brahmas be able to stop the highly successful offense of the Hornets? If you are going on last year's results, your answer will probably be yes. Its a new year and the Hornets will be looking for revenge.

The Brahmas in a close one.

Bellville 35
Caldwell 32

BaTmAn24
08-25-2009, 01:22 AM
Good luck to both teams. I think Caldwell has a slight edge. Bellville had better wake up!

Caldwell by 7

BrahmaMom
08-25-2009, 10:28 AM
I have no doubt that the Brahmas will be ready to play Friday night. This is a contest and the Bulls are competitive. I expect a highly charged team to take the field for Bellville. This group has been working all summer for this season. Flat, better wake up? Not a problem for the Brahmas. I hope all fans and both teams have a safe trip and game Friday night. And the Visitors' side will be LOUD for the Brahmas! Get fired up! Go Big Red!

Bull's-eye
08-25-2009, 11:18 AM
Won't be a problem about being ready. Bellville's main concern will be stopping the talented Caldwell running game. The Brahma offense must take care of the ball & keep the Hornet defense off balance with a mix of running & passing.

trg
08-25-2009, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by BrahmaMom
I have no doubt that the Brahmas will be ready to play Friday night. This is a contest and the Bulls are competitive. I expect a highly charged team to take the field for Bellville. This group has been working all summer for this season. Flat, better wake up? Not a problem for the Brahmas. I hope all fans and both teams have a safe trip and game Friday night. And the Visitors' side will be LOUD for the Brahmas! Get fired up! Go Big Red!

I'm with you BrahmaMom. I am counting the hours and minutes to kick off!!!! Be sure and yell extra loud till I get there. We will be making a mad dash from the Volleyball game.

GO BULLS!!!!

dachosenone
08-25-2009, 01:33 PM
I believe that if the hornets come with intensity and the brahmas come out flat as it has been seen lately, caldwell will jump out to an early lead which they won't surrender easily with their no huddle offense that will test the conditioning and mental strength of the bulls. However, I expect the lesdership of the brahmas will finally step up. But to do this they'll need their so called captains to step. Better do it bulls made us proud!!!!!

Im curious to know what is SO CALLED CAPTAINS TO STEP? I assume you had a typo and meant step up. What exactly is wrong with the captains?

cntdwn
08-25-2009, 08:11 PM
If the Hornets fall by a big margin again, the coaches might think twice about scheduling both scrimmages against 2A programs next time.

Bellville will have that in its favor because Lexington and New Waverly are good 2A programs, but you can't compare Lexington to Brenham or New Waverly to Needville.

I do think though that Caldwell has a more well-oiled machine offensively this season and its defense is stronger than last year.

The key is not to play to "not lose" and instead play "to win."

Caldwell can control the clock so it'll be interesting.

11as1
08-25-2009, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by dachosenone
Im curious to know what is SO CALLED CAPTAINS TO STEP? I assume you had a typo and meant step up. What exactly is wrong with the captains?

Well from what I've heard the brahmas lack in leadership and that comes from the mouth of a player. Also you got really upset with that, didn't coach foster tell y'all stay off of the dl??

No worries though li got Bellville by 7 with the winning td in the foufth

bvillebrahma010
08-25-2009, 10:44 PM
my son said that the coaches said dont put out any info that will hurt our team, not to stay off of here. my son doesnt post, but reads!

cameron91
08-25-2009, 10:51 PM
It all depends if someone leave the water running thursday night. :D caldwell play their best football in wet turf.

BrahmaMom
08-26-2009, 06:59 AM
I don't think the players post, but it's tough to control the parents. I hope none of us would put out info that would hurt our team. C'mon guys, it's almost Friday, let's get ready for some FOOTBALL and forget the negative. Both teams are gonna show up to play. I hope we concentrate on making no mental mistakes--they are the ones that bother me. We have the leaders to set the tone--let's go Brahmas!

cntdwn
08-26-2009, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by cameron91
It all depends if someone leave the water running thursday night. :D caldwell play their best football in wet turf.

Caldwell beat you 49-28 and even knelt on the play that would have scored AGAIN with over a minute to play that would have made it 56-28.... and you still hang onto the wet field theory? Come on, fella.

That's a bit of a stretch. The visitors sideline even has excellent drainage so that wouldn't fly. With constant drought, our school district couldn't afford such a crazy thing anyway.

dachosenone
08-26-2009, 08:44 AM
Well from what I've heard the brahmas lack in leadership and that comes from the mouth of a player. Also you got really upset with that, didn't coach foster tell y'all stay off of the dl??

No worries though li got Bellville by 7 with the winning td in the foufth

Well i would appreciate it if the player or maybe yourself could explain the qualities of a leader. I don't know if I quite understand what it takes to be a leader.

dachosenone
08-26-2009, 09:08 AM
I quote all comments from an old brahma Coach Barnes aka Buzzard "Don't talk about it be about it".

Secondly in regards to coach Foster "Would you rather go into battle with a coach thats on fire or luke warm"
P.S. to all the Brahma football players.

"Look inside yourself before you judge another player or teammate"

"Take two steps back while looking in the mirror an decide whether or not you like what you see"

LoveTheHornets
08-26-2009, 02:26 PM
As far as to where to eat in Caldwell, K's Cafe up on the square in downtown is good--the burgers are excellent. They usually have some homemade pie and sell Bluebell by the scoop--and the scoops are generous!

There is also a fried chicken dinner in the commons at the high school with a limited number of tickets available at the door. It benefits the band. FYI--there is a dinner in the commons at the high school for every home game here in Caldwell, so if you play us later this year (or want to remember for next year), then you might want to call the HS to ask about tickets.

Go Hornets!!

Bull's-eye
08-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by LoveTheHornets
As far as to where to eat in Caldwell, K's Cafe up on the square in downtown is good--the burgers are excellent. They usually have some homemade pie and sell Bluebell by the scoop--and the scoops are generous! Go Hornets!!

You had me at homemade pie, but it didn't hurt to hear about the big scoops of Blue Bell. :)

11as1
08-26-2009, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by dachosenone
Well i would appreciate it if the player or maybe yourself could explain the qualities of a leader. I don't know if I quite understand what it takes to be a leader.

I say leadership is about getting your teammates fired up before the battle on the feild, and so far the bulls haven't done such a thing. I have talked to many parents and they say the samething there is a huge lack of leadership on the team. I have also spoken to some players from brenham and they all say that in the 08 season they were intimidated by the teams loudness before the game, and this year the bulls seemed mortally mute!!! So why don't stop your questioning me on leadership and go out and play fullback to the best of your ability, lead with your hat and intimidate while doing it... BE A LEADER!!!

Bulligator
08-26-2009, 05:05 PM
I apologize for the long post and won't comment anymore until next week's game, if even then. Go Brahmas!

Who were the leaders on last year’s team that went 12 - 2? Who were the leaders when the team went 5 – 5? I don’t recall many loud players leading the team. I just finished reading the Bellville Times and saw an interesting quote from the Coach. He called two of his linebackers the leaders of the defense and named them “Silent Assassins”. Just because you are loud doesn’t mean you can lead. Have you ever heard of “leading by example”? What ever happened to the idea of doing your job well, and not having to be a show off or want praise from your teammates? If you do what you are supposed to do, what’s so special about it? Everyone has become so accustomed to the “show” that professionals put on; they can’t believe someone would perform without craving attention. I don’t believe this group of athletes needs that over the top acting to perform at their highest level.

They have Quiet Confidence. Here’s how Ralph Marson describes it:

The strongest confidence is quiet confidence. It does not boast and is not arrogant. Quiet confidence pays no attention to those who ridicule it simply because of their own insecurities. Quiet confidence does what is right, no matter what others may think.
Quiet confidence is built from substance, and is not just made for show. It is genuine and as such, it is powerful. Quiet confidence does not seek the easy way out. Quiet confidence finds the true and the right way through whatever situations or obstacles there are. It makes no grand promises. Yet it delivers much value.
Quiet confidence is not overly concerned with appearances. Quiet confidence simply gets things done. You don't always see it, nor do you often think about it. Yet quiet confidence works tirelessly behind the scenes, bringing you many good and valuable things.
Quiet confidence is real, persistent confidence that makes a positive difference every day. Try some yourself, and see how much real and lasting value it can add to your world.

duckhunter
08-26-2009, 05:12 PM
i'm sorry but this thread is getting ridiculous. people talking about players need to step up and lead, on another thread got people wanting a change at qb, etc........the football season HASN'T EVEN STARTED YET! why dont all you people wait with your arm chair coaching suggestions until after a game or two is played. :rolleyes:

Bull's-eye
08-26-2009, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by duckhunter
i'm sorry but this thread is getting ridiculous. people talking about players need to step up and lead, on another thread got people wanting a change at qb, etc........the football season HASN'T EVEN STARTED YET! why dont all you people wait with your arm chair coaching suggestions until after a game or two is played. :rolleyes:

:clap: :clap: I'm just thinking about homemade pie & a big scoop of Blue Bell! :D

IrishTex
08-26-2009, 05:20 PM
:clap: :clap: I'm just thinking about homemade pie & a big scoop of Blue Bell! :D

:clap: :clap: :clap:

:D

MJMbrahmas10
08-26-2009, 07:13 PM
i think people on here have no respect what soever for the KIDS, its high school football!! show some darn respect for the players that do bust their tail everyday at practice to get better and preform on friday night.....some of yall need to look in the mirror and get yalls priorities straight......some of yall are actin like the kids in here....

cntdwn
08-26-2009, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by MJMbrahmas10
i think people on here have no respect what soever for the KIDS, its high school football!! show some darn respect for the players that do bust their tail everyday at practice to get better and preform on friday night.....some of yall need to look in the mirror and get yalls priorities straight......some of yall are actin like the kids in here....

yea.......

:taunt:

cameron91
08-26-2009, 08:06 PM
Caldwell beat you 49-28 and even knelt on the play that would have scored AGAIN with over a minute to play that would have made it 56-28.... and you still hang onto the wet field theory? Come on, fella.

That's a bit of a stretch. The visitors sideline even has excellent drainage so that wouldn't fly. With constant drought, our school district couldn't afford such a crazy thing anyway.

it was just a joke :D ..

11as1
08-26-2009, 09:00 PM
This is in response to the accusations that i was telling the young men of Bellville to be loud mouths, which is not what i meant at all. I meant be loud in the tunnel and get the boys pumped up because that's the only way they'll respond. I meant light a fire under them. But to answer your first question the vocal leader on the 12-2 team was Joe Tallerine, however you were correct on the 5-5 team there were no leaders hence why they went 5-5. DUH!!! The leaders/captains on the team simply need to get loud before the game and then continue to be loud with their pads or arms or legs, not talk trash. And to be honest i didn't understand what "quiet confidence" has to do with being a leader yes you can lead by doing the right thing but that would make all the starters leaders because they should all do the right thing, that's why there starters, but the captains are said to be the vocal leaders that's why they give pre-game speeches on thursday! As i said before hit the feild loud and stay loud with your pads

dachosenone
08-27-2009, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Bulligator
I apologize for the long post and won't comment anymore until next week's game, if even then. Go Brahmas!

Who were the leaders on last year’s team that went 12 - 2? Who were the leaders when the team went 5 – 5? I don’t recall many loud players leading the team. I just finished reading the Bellville Times and saw an interesting quote from the Coach. He called two of his linebackers the leaders of the defense and named them “Silent Assassins”. Just because you are loud doesn’t mean you can lead. Have you ever heard of “leading by example”? What ever happened to the idea of doing your job well, and not having to be a show off or want praise from your teammates? If you do what you are supposed to do, what’s so special about it? Everyone has become so accustomed to the “show” that professionals put on; they can’t believe someone would perform without craving attention. I don’t believe this group of athletes needs that over the top acting to perform at their highest level.

They have Quiet Confidence. Here’s how Ralph Marson describes it:

The strongest confidence is quiet confidence. It does not boast and is not arrogant. Quiet confidence pays no attention to those who ridicule it simply because of their own insecurities. Quiet confidence does what is right, no matter what others may think.
Quiet confidence is built from substance, and is not just made for show. It is genuine and as such, it is powerful. Quiet confidence does not seek the easy way out. Quiet confidence finds the true and the right way through whatever situations or obstacles there are. It makes no grand promises. Yet it delivers much value.
Quiet confidence is not overly concerned with appearances. Quiet confidence simply gets things done. You don't always see it, nor do you often think about it. Yet quiet confidence works tirelessly behind the scenes, bringing you many good and valuable things.
Quiet confidence is real, persistent confidence that makes a positive difference every day. Try some yourself, and see how much real and lasting value it can add to your world.

Great post gator.

zebrablue2
08-28-2009, 08:49 AM
I will go with my Brahmas in this one by 10. Good luck to both teams and play injury free...

BrahmaMom
08-28-2009, 09:02 AM
It was an excellent post bulligator. Right now, it's GAME DAY and I can't wait. This team has been preparing for tonight since the last game of last season. Take it to the Hornets, Brahmas! Leave it all on the field! GO BULLS!

pirate4state
08-28-2009, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by BrahmaMom
It was an excellent post bulligator. Right now, it's GAME DAY and I can't wait. This team has been preparing for tonight since the last game of last season. Take it to the Hornets, Brahmas! Leave it all on the field! GO BULLS! Good Luck this season! Here's hoping I see you down the line. ;)

Bull's-eye
08-28-2009, 11:01 AM
Homemade pie, big scoops of Blue Bell & HS football.......doesn't get much better. Good luck to both teams & safe travel for everyone. :)

11as1
08-28-2009, 11:53 AM
Good luck to both teams tonight and safe travel to everyone making the trip. Bulls win by 7. Go Big Red!!!

C'monRef!
08-28-2009, 11:55 AM
I'd REALLY like to go to this game if anyone wants to swing by TAMU and give me a ride. haha.

Bull's-eye
08-28-2009, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by C'monRef!
I'd REALLY like to go to this game if anyone wants to swing by TAMU and give me a ride. haha.

Get to Hwy 36 & 60 and stick out your thumb, should be a few Brahmas coming by. :D

C'monRef!
08-28-2009, 12:22 PM
Get to Hwy 36 & 60 and stick out your thumb, should be a few Brahmas coming by. :D lol. nice.

Hornet Mom 2
08-28-2009, 01:01 PM
Looking forward to a GREAT game tonight! Sting'Em Hornets!

BrahmaMom
08-28-2009, 02:15 PM
Hope we meet up again, too, Rita!

87 TIGER
08-28-2009, 04:03 PM
A buddy of mine's son plays for Bellville, but I gotta pull for D 24 . Go Hornets!

Bellville 42
Caldwell 32
sorry hornets Bellville just too much

HEMOTOXIC
08-28-2009, 05:18 PM
Good luck bulls and hornets!

muscatcannelli
09-01-2009, 12:22 PM
My sentinemts exactly. I like to see the guys pump each other up before, during and after the game. The fans could use a little pumping up themselves.