PDA

View Full Version : Lonesome Dove

rockdale80
08-20-2009, 09:48 PM
I have seen this move a hundred times and it still makes me sad when Gus dies. :(

Keystonepride
08-21-2009, 01:27 AM
Gus made the best bisquits!!!

IrishTex
08-21-2009, 09:54 AM
One of the best shows I've ever seen. Period. Bar none.

I'm actually reading the book right now....

rockdale80
08-21-2009, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by IrishTex
One of the best shows I've ever seen. Period. Bar none.

I'm actually reading the book right now....

McMurtry is a great author. I have read almost all of his books. I prefer the book over the movie, but Duvall and Jones made the duo their own for TV. Great stuff indeed.

Reds fan
08-21-2009, 10:26 AM
Great book and movie. One must also read the prequels in addition to the sequels to onesome Dove. Great stuff!

rockdale80
08-21-2009, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Reds fan
Great book and movie. One must also read the prequels in addition to the sequels to onesome Dove. Great stuff!

Indeed they are. Also, the Texasville series with Duane are also good reads. McMurtry, Ludlem, Patterson, Franken, and Grisham are my favorite authors.

BreckTxLonghorn
08-21-2009, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
Indeed they are. Also, the Texasville series with Duane are also good reads. McMurtry, Ludlem, Patterson, Franken, and Grisham are my favorite authors.

Never read past 'Last Picture Show', it started so well then felt like it dragged. There's a new one out on that series, Rhino Ranch, that ends the series. May start reading Texasville and see if I like it - everyone knows it's based on Archer City, right?

If you haven't read 'Horseman, Pass By' do so. By far my favorite from Mr. Mac.

Grisham wrote a great nonfiction novel about a crime in Oklahoma, An Innocent Man, which was a great read. His shorter works on sports aren't too shabby either.

rockdale80
08-21-2009, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Never read past 'Last Picture Show', it started so well then felt like it dragged. There's a new one out on that series, Rhino Ranch, that ends the series. May start reading Texasville and see if I like it - everyone knows it's based on Archer City, right?

If you haven't read 'Horseman, Pass By' do so. By far my favorite from Mr. Mac.

Grisham wrote a great nonfiction novel about a crime in Oklahoma, An Innocent Man, which was a great read. His shorter works on sports aren't too shabby either.

The series was supposed to stop at 3 but then he popped out "When The Light Goes" as a 4th installment. I have read all 4 and need to finish off with Rhino Ranch. I didnt know what town it was based on, but I really enjoyed the series and cant wait to see how it ends up.

"Telegraph Days" is a little more fast paced that most of his books, but it is a good one and has cameos by several famous cowboys in it.

"Hold Autumn in Your Hand" by George Sessions Perry is also a good read.

Reds fan
08-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80

I too like Patterson, especially before co-author stuff of late. Grisham is very good.

One of my all time favorites is Michener, his historical novel "Texas" is one of the best reads on this state there is.

BobcatBenny
08-21-2009, 02:54 PM
Which book is the one with the wicked Governor that tries to use his power to steal everyone's land, then some meaner than dirt cowboy strolls up to the front of the Governor's Mansion, kicks in the front door, burns it down and just walks away?

Reds fan
08-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Best Little Whore House???:D

IHStangFan
08-21-2009, 06:15 PM
I love this movie!! I can watch it over and over. Robert Duval is one of my fav. actors.

I love McMurtry's books. I also like his son's music.

AP Panther Fan
08-21-2009, 09:43 PM
My uncle was the "head wrangler" for this movie. He did everything from providing animals, working with actors and doubles to probably scooping poop when needed. He has had an interesting career working on this and numerous other films...Wyatt Earp (another favorite), Something to Talk About, and Sea Biscuit (I never watched). I am always awestruck by some of the things he has done and people he has worked with.

Nursebetty
08-22-2009, 01:13 PM
Lonesome Dove is one of the most Awesome movies ever!
I, too, read some of McMurtry's books, and above all, the Lonesome Dove movie with Duvall and Jones is the B E S T!!

IrishTex
08-22-2009, 05:53 PM
Moved from the front page..

Got to love it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVBjBClBSao

IrishTex
08-22-2009, 06:57 PM
Call fights with Army Scout

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEwADbas7L0