PDA

View Full Version : USA Today claims the economic disaster as Texas HS Football success story

TexasHSFootball
08-20-2009, 03:58 PM
Boy.. Do I have some choice words for Jim Halley .. click here to see (http://texashsfootball.com/board/index.php?showtopic=71178)

The actual article itself...
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/football/2009-08-20-super25-story_N.htm

on a related note..
1. St Thomas Aquinas (FL)
2. Duncan Byrnes (SC)
3. Katy
4. Cincinnati Elder (OH)
12. Allen
15. RR Stony Point
17. Cedar Hill

BuckeyeNut
08-20-2009, 04:03 PM
wow that sucks we have not had one out of state move in in years.

SHSBulldog00
08-20-2009, 04:05 PM
Keep speaking the Truth!!! The talent level in Texas has alway's been high. Texas, where Men are Men and Football is King.

Emerson1
08-20-2009, 04:06 PM
We had a player move in from Gilmer, that's about as far away that any player we had was from.

big daddy russ
08-20-2009, 05:18 PM
He hit a jackpot of a quote when he talked to Zepeda. Doesn't mean that it's true, but it does mean that it's a spicy quote.

I'd blame it more on misinformation than the reporter. Texas has that much quality depth because we have the highest percentage of participation out of any state in the nation combined with plenty of top-notch competition all over the place. Not because a couple of kids from Cali decided to move here because of the economy.

TexasHSFootball
08-20-2009, 10:11 PM
obviously the writer needs history lesson in high school football ... and a better understanding of how things work! I thought I fully explained this over the phone with him in a way..

I am still riled up!

Additup
08-20-2009, 10:50 PM
Texas players are also ready to play at the next level because Texas (and Massachusetts) play HS football according to NCAA rules...the other 48 states use NFHS rules.

Texas HS defenders learn how to play a cut block and offensive players learn how to throw blocks downfield. That rule alone makes it easier for college coaches to evaluate Texas players - they know what they are getting.

I also met with a coordinator of a Div I program here in Texas a few years ago to talk some ball. He'd been a D-I coordinator in Cali. After about an hour of back and forth scheme talk he stated that he was amazed at the level of knowledge Texas HS football coaches have. He said "It seems like every high school staff I've met with in Texas is comparable with most college staffs in California..." He seemed pretty sincere when he said it, but who knows?