PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Points of Emphasis Video

TexMike
08-19-2009, 09:00 PM
NCAA has put out the Points of Emphasis video for this season. Gonna be interesting to see the reaction when fans start seeing players getting ejected for what might have been called a "big hit" in the past. Same points of emphasis will apply in Texas HS games

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_video/football/2009FootballRules.html

BobcatBenny
08-19-2009, 09:29 PM
My basest insticts like seeing the big hits, but they are correct with the adjustment. Head hunting is just too dangerous.

This will be a tough one for many aggressive defenses.

Part of many aggressive defense's games is to take away the quick slant by decapitating the receiver coming over the middle.

It would hurt to lose a starting safety with this infraction.

Additup
08-19-2009, 09:48 PM
In my opinion the penalty needs to be on the QB for setting up the receiver. I know NCAA coaches make the rules, but ya'll are gonna have a tough job with this one. Love that NFL fines players for these hits and then sells the hit on a "NFL Crunch Course" highlight tape...

Option QBs that pitch or RBs running a pitch path are just as "defenseless" as receivers that have bad QBs missing the mark. Any idea how officials are going to handle that, Mike?

Thanks for the video link.

TexMike
08-20-2009, 04:29 AM
The QB who has just pitched is defined as a defenseless player. And the pitch man who is concentrating on the ball coming to him is also a defenseless player. Neither one can be contacted above the shoulders.

(Great point about the hypocrisy. I had not thought about that before)

Additup
08-20-2009, 05:48 AM
Thanks, Mike. Good luck this season.

GreenMonster
08-20-2009, 10:44 AM
I continue to be appalled by the wussification of America. Texas already has 7 on 7 in the summer it doesn't need to be carried over into the regular season. :devil: Stick that in yer pipe and smoke it!

BobcatBenny
08-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I continue to be appalled by the wussification of America. Texas already has 7 on 7 in the summer it doesn't need to be carried over into the regular season. :devil: Stick that in yer pipe and smoke it!
http://www.essentialestrogen.com/gfx/penalty_flag.jpg
HEADHUNTING!!! The poster is ejected! :D

BwdLions
08-20-2009, 01:22 PM
I guess football will eventually become a non-contact sport. Maybe they'll start playing flag football like we did back in 5th and 6th grades in Brownwood.