PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Bird Hunters!!!

IHStangFan
08-19-2009, 03:29 PM
Hey fellas.....

I'm very excited about getting home and doing some bird hunting. My delima is this. My old shotgun has had it...it's done. I plan on having it worked on and then turning it into a "safe queen".

I'm in the market for a new gun, but have NO idea what I want.

I'm not a Browning Citori or Blaser kinda guy....as....I don't see the sanity in paying several thousands for a shotgun that I'm gonna stomp through brush and muck with.

I'm looking for something from about 350-750.

I don't even know if I want an O/U, a semi, or a pump.

I DO like these:

Charles Daly semi-auto
CZ O/U
Benelli Nova (pump)
Weatherby semi-auto.

HELP!!! If nothing else...make my mind up for me!!

Thanks!

Trashman
08-19-2009, 05:42 PM
Personally I like this......

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/m1-tank-9.jpg

Firing one of these..............

http://defense-update.com/images/xm1028.jpg

However if you are hunting smaller birds, I suggest the........

Mossberg 935 Magnum Autoloader

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/New/82540.jpg

MSRP $550 - $600

:D

IHStangFan
08-19-2009, 07:05 PM
Scratch that amigo,

My wife just gave me the go-ahead to start my new AR build. The shotgun can wait!!! LOL.

Just ordered a RRA A4 Varmint Flattop Upper in 16"

Making a list and putting together a parts list as we speak as to what I want to do w/ the rest of it. I'm thinking maybe a Magpul PRS buttstock on a new RRA lower. Not sure what I wanna do for glass just yet.

:cool: :devil:

Trashman
08-19-2009, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
Scratch that amigo,

My wife just gave me the go-ahead to start my new AR build. The shotgun can wait!!! LOL.

Making a list and putting together a parts list as we speak as to what I want to do w/ the rest of it. I'm thinking maybe a Magpul PRS buttstock on a new RRA lower. Not sure what I wanna do for glass just yet.

Does she have a sister? LOL

IHStangFan
08-19-2009, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
Does she have a sister? LOL LOL...sorry bro...she's an only child.

IHStangFan
08-19-2009, 08:57 PM
Everything is all ordered up!

*RRA Varmint A4 16" Flat Top
*RRA Complete Lower w/ 6pos. buttstock (OD Green)
*Burris Fullfield II LRS 3-9x40
*RRA Hi-Rise Scope Mount
*Magpul PMAG 30rd Mags
*RRA LAR-15 20rd Mags.

:cool:

I love deployments!!

During this deployment I've picked up:

*Kimber Desert Warrior w/ Crimson Trace grip in Desert MARPAT Camo

*Kahr/AO M1 Carbine (.30cal)

*RRA AR15

Not a bad haul!! :)

Trashman
08-19-2009, 09:08 PM
Everything is all ordered up!

*RRA Varmint A4 16" Flat Top
*RRA Complete Lower w/ 6pos. buttstock (OD Green)
*RRA Hi-Rise Scope Mount
*Magpul PMAG 30rd Mags
*RRA LAR-15 20rd Mags.

:cool:

I love deployments!!

During this deployment I've picked up:

*Kimber Desert Warrior w/ Crimson Trace grip in Desert MARPAT Camo

*Kahr/AO M1 Carbine (.30cal)

*RRA AR15

Not a bad haul!! :)

I am envious to say the least!:D

IHStangFan
08-19-2009, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
I am envious to say the least!:D Hell......I look at them as investments......there are 3 or 4 things that I can think of right off the top of my head that don't depreciate for the most part.....that's LAND, FERRARIS & FIREARMS! LOL. Just so happens I can afford a firearm here and there. :D

slpybear the bullfan
08-20-2009, 09:08 AM
Very happy for you IHSTang! Sounds like you are having a good deployment!

last year the ol Slpybear jumped off into the black rifle world himself. Picked up a RRA M4 to throw in the truck when out at the farm... shooting hogs, 'yotes, and lots of target plinking.

My setup is:

RRA Lower w/M4 adj buttstock
RRA 16" Upper w/Heavy barrel 1:9
Flattop upper and gasblock
EOTECH 512
Bushmaster and GI Contract mags

It is absolutely a blast to shoot and the EOTech is awesome when you are out an about on a 4 wheeler/Side by side/or pickup. 50 grain hollow points are just the thing for my needs.

I am saving up for a magnifier, as that is about the only other thing I need right now.

I would suggest you pick up one of these cases... trust me, they are the best case I have found yet for an M4... short, holds two pistols and plenty of mag capacity on the MOLLEs or you can put on what you want.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE207-7.html

On the shotgun front, I also bought a Browning BPS 12 Gauge for $500 last year. Just right for me... I prefer a pump, wanted something nicer than a mossberg 500 or remington 870 but didn't want to spend so much I was scared to take it out.

PS - I have an 1943 IBM M-1 Carbine and it is without a doubt my favorite long(?)gun to shoot.

IHStangFan
08-20-2009, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
Very happy for you IHSTang! Sounds like you are having a good deployment!

last year the ol Slpybear jumped off into the black rifle world himself. Picked up a RRA M4 to throw in the truck when out at the farm... shooting hogs, 'yotes, and lots of target plinking.

My setup is:

RRA Lower w/M4 adj buttstock
RRA 16" Upper w/Heavy barrel 1:9
Flattop upper and gasblock
EOTECH 512
Bushmaster and GI Contract mags

It is absolutely a blast to shoot and the EOTech is awesome when you are out an about on a 4 wheeler/Side by side/or pickup. 50 grain hollow points are just the thing for my needs.

I am saving up for a magnifier, as that is about the only other thing I need right now.

I would suggest you pick up one of these cases... trust me, they are the best case I have found yet for an M4... short, holds two pistols and plenty of mag capacity on the MOLLEs or you can put on what you want.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE207-7.html

On the shotgun front, I also bought a Browning BPS 12 Gauge for $500 last year. Just right for me... I prefer a pump, wanted something nicer than a mossberg 500 or remington 870 but didn't want to spend so much I was scared to take it out.

PS - I have an 1943 IBM M-1 Carbine and it is without a doubt my favorite long(?)gun to shoot. Howdy there Mr. Bear! Yes sir.....this is my second AR. My first was a Bushmaster M4 Flat top (preban) w/ a Cav Arms MkII (A2) lower. I had an EOTech 551 (maybe a 552, can't remember) on top of it a lot of the time. Loved that thing. Sold it last year, and was itching for another one every since.

Can't wait to get home and do some shooting!!

Take care SB!

SHSBulldog00
08-20-2009, 02:23 PM
Does shooting a woodpecker constitute a crime?

slpybear the bullfan
08-20-2009, 04:47 PM
Howdy there Mr. Bear! Yes sir.....this is my second AR. My first was a Bushmaster M4 Flat top (preban) w/ a Cav Arms MkII (A2) lower. I had an EOTech 551 (maybe a 552, can't remember) on top of it a lot of the time. Loved that thing. Sold it last year, and was itching for another one every since.

Can't wait to get home and do some shooting!!

Take care SB!

You take care yourself, IHStangfan... keep that Cover on and your head on a swivel. Much longer to go?

IHStangFan
08-20-2009, 04:51 PM
You take care yourself, IHStangfan... keep that Cover on and your head on a swivel. Much longer to go? As it stands....I should be home the first week of Oct. :)

Just in time for hunting, football, cooler weather & the holidays.

It will be nice to get home.

Thanks SB.

AP Panther Fan
08-20-2009, 06:46 PM
hahaha...y'all are sounding a bit redneck.:D

At first I wondered if this thread broke any rules, but considering the posters....surely NOT!

j/k love it....men and their toys.....:vrycnfsd: :lies:

turbostud
08-20-2009, 07:21 PM
Hey fellas.....

I'm very excited about getting home and doing some bird hunting. My delima is this. My old shotgun has had it...it's done. I plan on having it worked on and then turning it into a "safe queen".
HELP!!! If nothing else...make my mind up for me!!

Thanks!

You gotta check out this show on Outdoor Channel called Duck Commander. It comes on Sat mornings at 7am. These Louisiana boys quit their day jobs and do nothing but hunt. They hunt every day during the 2 month duck season. Thats redneck dedication right there.

For a Few Ducks More (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKZs8vV8La0)
Boom Boom Boom (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS-VYNZhBUk&feature=PlayList&p=DEE1007EDE742C30&index=0&playnext=1)
Cut'em All Jack (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT9bYJdkkBo)

ASUFrisbeeStud
08-20-2009, 10:33 PM
Scratch that amigo,

Just bought a scope in the BSA Tactial line for my DPMS, great value for a quality scope.

IHStangFan
08-21-2009, 07:09 PM
WOW.....finally got everything ordered for my new build......it's getting hard to find stuff. Several items are on backorder. :mad:

Here's the inventory:

*RRA Varmint A4 16" Flat Top Upper
*RRA Lower (currently has 6pos. M4 buttstock)
*Magpul PRS Precision Buttstock in O.D. Green
*Hogue Free Float Tube & Grip in O.D. Green
*RRA Hi-Rise Scope Mount
*Enidine Hydraulic Buffer
*Tubb Speedlock Flat Wire Buffer Spring
*DPMS A1/A2 Buffer Tube
*Magpul PMAG 30rd Mag.
*RRA LAR-15 20rd Mag.

Let the fun begin!!

How'd I go fellas?

slpybear the bullfan
08-24-2009, 08:55 AM
WOW.....finally got everything ordered for my new build......it's getting hard to find stuff. Several items are on backorder. :mad:

Here's the inventory:

*RRA Varmint A4 16" Flat Top Upper
*RRA Lower (currently has 6pos. M4 buttstock)
*Magpul PRS Precision Buttstock in O.D. Green
*Hogue Free Float Tube & Grip in O.D. Green
*RRA Hi-Rise Scope Mount
*Enidine Hydraulic Buffer
*Tubb Speedlock Flat Wire Buffer Spring
*DPMS A1/A2 Buffer Tube
*Magpul PMAG 30rd Mag.
*RRA LAR-15 20rd Mag.

Let the fun begin!!

How'd I go fellas?

Looks great! Let me know what you think of the PMAGs... I have been on the fence about buying some for a while now.

ASUFrisbeeStud
08-24-2009, 12:57 PM
Looks great! Let me know what you think of the PMAGs... I have been on the fence about buying some for a while now.

I have about 5 or 6 pmags for my mini-14 and have never had a problem with one of them, lifetime warranty too, half the price of others out there.

IHStangFan
08-24-2009, 01:21 PM
Looks great! Let me know what you think of the PMAGs... I have been on the fence about buying some for a while now. sure thing amigo! I'll be sure once I get it put together to throw up a couple of pics also!

lostaussie
08-25-2009, 08:40 PM
my shotgun of choice............remington 1187. not the most expensive but great to kick around with for the money

ASUFrisbeeStud
08-27-2009, 12:01 AM
5 Days!!!!

IHStangFan
08-27-2009, 08:30 AM
my upper shipped today!!! :clap: