PDA

View Full Version : High School Football Announcers

Keystonepride
08-19-2009, 12:21 PM
When tuning in online or on the radio what are some of your likes & dislikes about the ways games are being called?

Anything you would like to hear more of?

What are you sick of?

Just trying to get an opinion from a knowledgeable group of listeners.

Thank you

Footballhudini
08-19-2009, 12:25 PM
could do without the typical homerism imho

bigwood33
08-19-2009, 12:48 PM
I like the thinly veiled homerism. It gives you the correct impression that the announcer has a rooting interest in the outcome of the game. I always like it when the announcer actually knows something about the opposition and gives credit where credit is due. Sometimes the "other" guys do something good too:D

IMO, Dallas Houston (Brownwood) is the best high school play by play guy in the nation.

Footballhudini
08-19-2009, 12:58 PM
question for some of you:

what about the actual game announcers over the loudspeaker - are they required by UIL to be non-homers?

Txbroadcaster
08-19-2009, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Keystonepride
When tuning in online or on the radio what are some of your likes & dislikes about the ways games are being called?

Anything you would like to hear more of?

What are you sick of?

Just trying to get an opinion from a knowledgeable group of listeners.

Thank you

man that ole txbroadcaster was an AMAZING broadcaster and he will be missed.:D :clap: :D

ronwx5x
08-19-2009, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
man that ole txbroadcaster was an AMAZING broadcaster and he will be missed.:D :clap: :D

And isn't it wonderful he was so successful that he became independently wealthy and no longer has to work at broadcasting?

:devil:

Keystonepride
08-19-2009, 01:21 PM

A legend for sure!!!!

Maybe a Favre-like comeback?

Ranger Mom
08-19-2009, 01:24 PM

He was my favorite..that's for sure. Especially when he had his G-string wearing stickhorse riding sidekick with him!!

Manck was pretty darn good too though!!:D

poisoned10
08-19-2009, 01:54 PM

Ehh . . .

I went with him to a Troup - Lexington broadcast once. He did alright.

:D

bigwood33
08-19-2009, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Footballhudini

what about the actual game announcers over the loudspeaker - are they required by UIL to be non-homers?
No, they are definetly homers! I just wish all PA announcers understood that they are NOT play by play guys!
Speaking of PA guys, the old man who announces at Memorial Stadium in Frisco must have been calling games there for 40 years! If a kids name isn't "Smith or Jones" he mispronounces it...and a different way each time! He also sounds like he is getting drunk as the game goes on. Mothers all get their panties in a wad over him not pronouncing their babies' name correctly but it is FUNNY! I laugh my a$$ off every time I hear him.

LE Dad
08-19-2009, 03:20 PM
Broadcasters are great. I do not have any complaints. There is one local guy that needs
to hang up the mike. When u can no longer see the field from the pressbox they named after u; it's time to go. As for field announcers, hate the ones that emphasize every 1st down they make, and mysteriously miss ur 99 yd td run. Gilmer u guys have got the best announcer, he hypes both teams.

waterboy
08-19-2009, 03:27 PM
Yeah, Jeff Rash does a very good job for us in Gilmer.:clap:

Old Dog
08-19-2009, 03:30 PM
For radio announcers, "TELL THE SCORE" more often; sometimes we have to be late tuning in or leave the radio once in a great while.

Emerson1
08-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
And isn't it wonderful he was so successful that he became independently wealthy and no longer has to work at broadcasting?

:devil:
His wealth and success is due to the amazing stat keeper he signed on last season!

nobogey72
08-19-2009, 04:02 PM
What most people don't realize is that most HS radio broadcasts are a product of that particular HS. Wylie's broadcast for example is owned by Wylie High School, the ads that are sold are for the most part to Wylie vendors and businesses that have a Wylie connection. Also, 99% of the listeners are Wylie fans. So why in the world would we want an unbiased broadcast? We are definitely homers and make no bones about it. That's not to say that we don't give credit where it's due but there is no doubt about the homerism. You ever listen to a Dallas Cowboy game? Is there any doubt about who those guys are for?

BreckTxLonghorn
08-19-2009, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
What most people don't realize is that most HS radio broadcasts are a product of that particular HS. Wylie's broadcast for example is owned by Wylie High School, the ads that are sold are for the most part to Wylie vendors and businesses that have a Wylie connection. Also, 99% of the listeners are Wylie fans. So why in the world would we want an unbiased broadcast? We are definitely homers and make no bones about it. That's not to say that we don't give credit where it's due but there is no doubt about the homerism. You ever listen to a Dallas Cowboy game? Is there any doubt about who those guys are for?

Pretty sure Babe hates the Cowboys. And he wants to sell me a Kia.

Keystonepride
08-19-2009, 05:21 PM
Don't stop now 3AD...y'all are doin great!!!!

LH Panther Mom
08-19-2009, 05:50 PM
I really like it when they get into the game, homerism or not. And yes, Mr. "Voice of the Panthers", that goes for you too! (In case you catch this.) Excitement is part of the ball game & nothing will make me switch to another game faster than monotone droning. The idea, I presume, is to make the audience feel like they're seeing the action instead of just listening.

What will chap my behind is a PA announcer who completely ignores the opponent being on the field. :mad:

(And fwiw....keep it up, KMac crew! :) )

Electus Unus
08-19-2009, 06:00 PM
A legend for sure!!!!

Maybe a Favre-like comeback? why tarnish a legacy?

Electus Unus
08-19-2009, 06:07 PM
A legend for sure!!!!

Maybe a Favre-like comeback? why tarnish a legacy?

957tiger
08-19-2009, 06:49 PM
The Sealy Tiger Sports Network (STSN) will broadcast live and online all football games and will have a limited baseball, softball and misc sports schedule. Our on-air talent will include former Tiger Head Coach TJ Mills and former Tiger QB Brad Burtschell, along with Rick Bauman. Very knowledgeable folks in the booth for our inaugural year. We plan on promoting our school and community so I guess we will be homers. Give the STSN a listen
For more information visit www.sealysports.com.

Rabid Cougar
08-19-2009, 07:07 PM
Birdie Shoemate , Cameron PA announcer. Has had the job since I was in elemetary school, that would be the early '70s.

STANG RED
08-19-2009, 07:13 PM
I wish our radio announcers would do a better job of telling us where the ball is on the field. I usually know the down, and yards needed, but have no idea where the line of scrimmage is.

pirate4state
08-19-2009, 07:18 PM
man that ole txbroadcaster was an AMAZING broadcaster and he will be missed.:D :clap: :D for realz

LHexPlayer
08-19-2009, 07:22 PM
I like the old school guys that have been covering their team for decades. They know everything about the history of their team and sometimes throw in a tidbit of info about a schools history. I enjoy the guys that cover the Cuero games. I don't mind some homerism in the calls and I enjoy the excitement.

Keystonepride
08-19-2009, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I wish our radio announcers would do a better job of telling us where the ball is on the field. I usually know the down, and yards needed, but have no idea where the line of scrimmage is.

Thats a good one Stang!!!!

Keystonepride
08-19-2009, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by 957tiger
The Sealy Tiger Sports Network (STSN) will broadcast live and online all football games and will have a limited baseball, softball and misc sports schedule. Our on-air talent will include former Tiger Head Coach TJ Mills and former Tiger QB Brad Burtschell, along with Rick Bauman. Very knowledgeable folks in the booth for our inaugural year. We plan on promoting our school and community so I guess we will be homers. Give the STSN a listen
For more information visit www.sealysports.com.

LOL way to get the plug in, I will give a listen.

Keystonepride
08-19-2009, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
why tarnish a legacy?

Enhance!!!

Txbroadcaster
08-19-2009, 11:01 PM
I always had 3 rules

1st rule...INFORM..score time, down distance spotlight good plays and players etc

2nd rule INCLUDE..Make the fan at home FEEL like they are at the game and in the stands, describe the sights, the sounds and all things at the stadium

3. DONT TAKE SELF TO SERIOUS. I had fun doing it, I never acted like I was better than others, but humble that I was having a chance to tell them the story of that night's game.

Keystonepride
08-19-2009, 11:17 PM
I always had 3 rules

1st rule...INFORM..score time, down distance spotlight good plays and players etc

2nd rule INCLUDE..Make the fan at home FEEL like they are at the game and in the stands, describe the sights, the sounds and all things at the stadium

3. DONT TAKE SELF TO SERIOUS. I had fun doing it, I never acted like I was better than others, but humble that I was having a chance to tell them the story of that night's game.

Epic response is Epic.

GUNHO
08-20-2009, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Old Dog
For radio announcers, "TELL THE SCORE" more often; sometimes we have to be late tuning in or leave the radio once in a great while.

Ain't that the truth and it would help if they said the teams name along with the score.

pirate4state
08-20-2009, 09:03 AM
I always had 3 rules

Which is why you'll be missed! I feel truly honored to have witnessed the "magic" twice last year. yay me LOL

and I'm talking about you & Grant broadcasting games and not that other stuff yall do! :eek: :devil:

bevodidit
08-20-2009, 09:35 AM
YES THE RADIO GUYS NEED TO GIVE THE SCORES MUCH MORE FREQUENTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

About every 2-3 plays. I try and scan the dial, get a score an move on. I've had to listen 15 minutes sometimes just to figure out who is playing let alone get the score. Sorry for yelling.

ccmom
08-20-2009, 09:39 AM
Personally, I think our radio broadcast team does a GREAT job! I enjoy the play by play that Trace gives and and Bill is always ready to provide personal stories about the players, etc. These guys volunteer their time so that Wylie Fans can enjoy the broadcast, and I appreciate them!!
:)

(Ok, Nobogey....is that good enough? When can I pick up my check? ;) )

bevodidit
08-20-2009, 09:42 AM
Its 4A but the guy calling the Whitehouse games on the PA is terrible. He fades in and out, and generally sounds like the
"Adults" you never see on the old Charlie Brown specials. All you hear is "Wa Waa Wa Waa Wa".

On the radio, Homer's make the game fun. Its fun to listen to them try and spin something positive when their team is getting pounded. I even like the corny commercials for some local bidness.

Keystonepride
08-20-2009, 10:05 AM
Wa Wa Waa Wa Waa Wa Waa Wa

lol

Maroon87
08-20-2009, 10:18 AM
I did some announcing a number of years ago and I tried to call the game as close to impartial as I could while making it clear what team's broadcast it was ( I did play by play for Kingsville in the early 90's and some for Calallen as well).

One of my pet peeves is when something occurs and the announcers are too caught up in what a big play it was to actually tell you what happened.

That and the pervasive "I wanna get on ESPN's call of the day" catchphrases.:doh:

GreenMachine
08-20-2009, 12:20 PM
The most entertaining duo has to be Joe Adams and "Grandpa" Roy Boy Johnson of the Cuero Broadcasting Team!!!!

Keystonepride
08-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I did some announcing a number of years ago and I tried to call the game as close to impartial as I could while making it clear what team's broadcast it was ( I did play by play for Kingsville in the early 90's and some for Calallen as well).

One of my pet peeves is when something occurs and the announcers are too caught up in what a big play it was to actually tell you what happened.

That and the pervasive "I wanna get on ESPN's call of the day" catchphrases.:doh:

He Could Go ALLLLLLL THHHHHHEEEEEE WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

mwynn05
08-20-2009, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by bevodidit

On the radio, Homer's make the game fun. Its fun to listen to them try and spin something positive when their team is getting pounded. yall know a lot about that in whitehouse....well until mcfarland arrived haha

PurpleFreddy
08-20-2009, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Footballhudini

I do this at my school. Yes, the UIL has some recommended guidelines for most sports. My rule: just the facts (ball carrier, tackle, yards gained) ... I also do volleyball, basketball (backup), soccer (real challenge) and softball.

PurpleFreddy
08-20-2009, 08:19 PM
My pet peeve: Referring to the team for which you are broadcasting as "we" or "us." The announcers aren't playing and are not a part of the team. I call it the Dave South rule.

garciap77
08-20-2009, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by ccmom
Personally, I think our radio broadcast team does a GREAT job! I enjoy the play by play that Trace gives and and Bill is always ready to provide personal stories about the players, etc. These guys volunteer their time so that Wylie Fans can enjoy the broadcast, and I appreciate them!!
:)

(Ok, Nobogey....is that good enough? When can I pick up my check? ;) )

Me too!!!!!

OK, bogey...........I'll be by your bank tomorrow for my 10K! Thanks Bogey you're the greatest; no matter what that M...…. I mean Rocket says about you!

;)

crabman
08-20-2009, 11:45 PM
Joe Adams (Cuero) best quote on the radio: "That boy just grabbed him a whole bunch of gone". How do you come with stuff like that?

Johnny 5
08-21-2009, 02:35 AM
I like the Cuero radio guys. I have heard them online.

You can't do anything on AM down in the RGV. Damn Mexican stations on every single channel lol.

As for announcers, my favorites are Hidalgo and Rio Hondo.

Keystonepride
08-21-2009, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by PurpleFreddy
My pet peeve: Referring to the team for which you are broadcasting as "we" or "us." The announcers aren't playing and are not a part of the team. I call it the Dave South rule.

This is a cardinal sin for sure. Even if you have played for the team in the past. Unless you are a involved directly with the team, a coach or a player should you not use the "we" or "us" reference.

Keep em coming 3ADL, this is good stuff!!!!

Keystonepride
08-23-2009, 02:19 PM
Bump for feedback!!!!

PurpleFreddy
08-23-2009, 08:17 PM
Or, how about this one: missing a play because you're spinning a yarn that takes more than 30 seconds to tell ....

Keystonepride
08-25-2009, 10:57 PM
I guess that one depends on the yarn and the score...

orange machine
08-25-2009, 11:38 PM
The PA guy at Royse City was really good.

DevotedPanther
08-26-2009, 10:00 AM
I have to agree with Bigwood33...Dallas Huston rocks as announcer. I can't imagine NOT hearing him at a Brownwood game. (I'm not just saying that because we're related by marriage either!) LOL He was awesome before I married into the family!

I like our Liberty Hill guys at KMAC though, too! HILARIOUS!

Keystonepride
08-28-2009, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by DevotedPanther
I have to agree with Bigwood33...Dallas Huston rocks as announcer. I can't imagine NOT hearing him at a Brownwood game. (I'm not just saying that because we're related by marriage either!) LOL He was awesome before I married into the family!

I like our Liberty Hill guys at KMAC though, too! HILARIOUS!

Thanks, we did have fun.

Keep posting your suggestions on here so these guys that broadcast the games can do it better!!!!

LE Dad
08-28-2009, 12:00 PM
Good or bad, I am just glad they are back. It's great to hear them once again. :clap: :clap:

C'monRef!
08-28-2009, 12:05 PM
I hated when our own hometown PA announcer mispronounced our own players' names. I think they should be required to be know the players names atleast.