PDA

View Full Version : Which Pudge showed up at the Ranger's Clubhouse?

slpybear the bullfan
08-19-2009, 11:16 AM
Are we getting back the little Pudge that hit .260 in 1992? Or are we getting back the great, big, swollen, Juiced Pudge that hit .347 in 2000? Or the little shrunken Pudge that hit .219 last year?

I want the juiced one back.

PS - and to all you Rangers fans booing Big Papi during his last trip to the Ballpark are hypocrites if you don't do the same to Pudge.

Sweetwater Red
08-19-2009, 11:21 AM
Not a big I-Rod fan are ya? :thinking:

crzyjournalist03
08-19-2009, 12:15 PM
Other than Canseco, I've never heard anybody link Pudge to steroids. He came up as a wiry 18-year old, and his body filled out not unlike mine did (although his was muscular, mine wasn't). Steroids are notoriously bad on the joints, so tell me how a juicer would set a record for games caught in the major leagues.

Did Pudge take "something"? Possibly. But who's to say it wasn't Andro, which everybody thought was clean ten years ago?

Most juicers have seen their careers hit walls in their careers where production just died. Rodriguez is still an average MLB catcher at age 37.

Pudge's .219 average was with the Yankees in only 33 games. That's a pretty weak comparison slpy...His actual average for the season was .276. Anybody in baseball can hit .219 for a month...that's not uncommon at all.

Look at the years when he put up the biggest numbers, and look at his age during those years...he was 26-29, the prime of a baseball player's career.

He hit .334 in 2004 AFTER they started testing for steroids, and he's a .299 hitter for his career. Considering how many balls he's hit that were in the dirt or a foot over his head, he and Vlad Guererro are the only two players I can think of who could put up that kind of average.

BuckeyeNut
08-19-2009, 12:19 PM
Ok now remember that everyone on that list did not juice it up. They could go to GNC and be on the list. :doh: :doh:

Trashman
08-19-2009, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Black Flag
Ok now remember that everyone on that list did not juice it up. They could go to GMC and be on the list. :doh: :doh:

Isn't it GNC?:thinking:

BuckeyeNut
08-19-2009, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
Isn't it GNC?:thinking:

Ahh... thats what i said

crzyjournalist03
08-19-2009, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Black Flag
Ok now remember that everyone on that list did not juice it up. They could go to GNC and be on the list. :doh: :doh:

Pudge's name has never shown up on any list that I'm aware of.

eagles_victory
08-19-2009, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Pudge's name has never shown up on any list that I'm aware of. It hasnt shown up on any list sply is just shooting off at the mouth not knowing what he is talking about. You want to talk hypocrits every Red Sox fan I know was all over A-Rod talking about how he was a fraud and everything and then when Big Papi and Manny tested positive their 04 win wasnt tainted it was suddenly ok so Red Sox nation needs to look at themselves before they start calling anyone hypocrits. Slpy enjoy your banwagon ride.

slpybear the bullfan
08-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
It hasnt shown up on any list sply is just shooting off at the mouth not knowing what he is talking about. You want to talk hypocrits every Red Sox fan I know was all over A-Rod talking about how he was a fraud and everything and then when Big Papi and Manny tested positive their 04 win wasnt tainted it was suddenly ok so Red Sox nation needs to look at themselves before they start calling anyone hypocrits. Slpy enjoy your banwagon ride.

No Hypocrite here. Upset as everyone else about the steroid era. Real Sox fans know our team juiced as bad as any other team. Part of being a fan of any team over the past several years.

No bandwagon fan here either... been a SOX fan since I was a kiddo.

And a Huge, huge Pudge fan here... juiced or not.

Just sick of the hypocrites that exist right here in our town. Pudge was one of the Palmeiro, Gonzales, Canseco crowd here in Texas that blew up huge had big numbers and then suddenly got small and quitting hitting as many dingers.

People climbed all over Papi during the last trip to the ballpark. The three drunks to my left hurled expletives at him regarding PEDs that finally caused them to be asked to move on. Are all these same people going to deny Palmeiro or Gonzales etc. a spot in the Ring of Honor at the Ballpark? I doubt it. And those same people will not be willing to admit that the Rangers were juicing just like everyone else was. (including the SOX, yanks... everyone.)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3909861

"The way Rodriguez took care of himself in the past has been questioned, most notably by former teammate Jose Canseco.

Rodriguez's mood changed when that subject was broached during a wide-ranging interview in his 44th-floor apartment overlooking Miami Beach.

Is the 37-year-old star known as Pudge on the list of 104 players who tested positive for steroids during baseball's 2003 survey?

"Only God knows," Rodriguez said softly."

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/columnists/gil_lebreton/story/1437663.html

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/sportatorium/2009/02/your_texas_rangers_the_steroid.php

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9194902/Rangers-lead-the-way-...-in-steroids

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/al/rangers/2009-02-09-rangers-players-juiced_N.htm

crzyjournalist03
08-19-2009, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan

Just sick of the hypocrites that exist right here in our town. Pudge was one of the Palmeiro, Gonzales, Canseco crowd here in Texas that blew up huge had big numbers and then suddenly got small and quitting hitting as many dingers.

People climbed all over Papi during the last trip to the ballpark. The three drunks to my left hurled expletives at him regarding PEDs that finally caused them to be asked to move on. Are all these same people going to deny Palmeiro or Gonzales etc. a spot in the Ring of Honor at the Ballpark? I doubt it. And those same people will not be willing to admit that the Rangers were juicing just like everyone else was.

I'll deny Juan Gonzalez, Rafael Palmeiro, and Jose Canseco spots in the Rangers Ring of Honor, but that's because we have evidence against them. With Pudge, we have whispers.

Jose Canseco says he "introduced" Pudge to steriods? That doesn't mean that Pudge began taking them regularly. I've been "introduced" to many bad people in my life, but that doesn't automatically connect me with them.

If Pudge did steroids and gets busted, then we'll have to wait for his story. I've said all along that if someone handles it honestly, then I'll forgive them. It's why I don't mind Jason Giambi or Andy Pettitte. But when you start making excuses, that's when I lose respect.

I honestly still have a very difficult time seeing what steroids would do for Pudge's career. Steroids don't help you make contact, and Pudge is arguably one of the best contact hitters of all-time. Steroids don't help your joints; they hurt them; yet Pudge has caught more games than any other player in MLB history. Steroids don't help you win Gold Gloves, and no catcher has won them like Pudge.

crzyjournalist03
08-19-2009, 04:44 PM
oh, and to add to the response about Papi's treatment, I'll say I was one of the thousands booing him Saturday night. Partly because of the steroids, sure; but mostly because he got the loudest cheers out of the Sox fans, and the boos were directed toward drowning those out.

Keith7
08-19-2009, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
Are we getting back the little Pudge that hit .260 in 1992? Or are we getting back the great, big, swollen, Juiced Pudge that hit .347 in 2000? Or the little shrunken Pudge that hit .219 last year?

I want the juiced one back.

PS - and to all you Rangers fans booing Big Papi during his last trip to the Ballpark are hypocrites if you don't do the same to Pudge.

Show me where Pudge tested positive for steroids and you'll have a case.. The Roid Sox on the other hand were loaded with steroids on their world series runs and that has been shown through positive tests so you are talking apples and oranges there bud.. The Roid Sox don't deserve either world series.. As far as I'm concerned their last world championship was in 1918..

Big Papi is a fraud and so is the entire Roid Sox organization.

slpybear the bullfan
08-20-2009, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
Show me where Pudge tested positive for steroids and you'll have a case.. The Roid Sox on the other hand were loaded with steroids on their world series runs and that has been shown through positive tests so you are talking apples and oranges there bud.. The Roid Sox don't deserve either world series.. As far as I'm concerned their last world championship was in 1918..

Big Papi is a fraud and so is the entire Roid Sox organization.

Typical bias against Boston... hate on them because no one else has done steroids...

besides, hasn't mandatory testing been in place since 2004?

And how many Ranger's names on the Mitchell report? 10.

This is exactly the attitude that frustrates Boston fans.

Keith, you keep that one Rangers post season win, (with a juicing team) and I will keep those two WS wins, and numerous other playoff wins after testing began.

slpybear the bullfan
08-20-2009, 01:30 AM
Oh yeah, and Hats off, the slugging Pudge showed up at the Clubhouse tonight!

slpybear the bullfan
08-20-2009, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
oh, and to add to the response about Papi's treatment, I'll say I was one of the thousands booing him Saturday night. Partly because of the steroids, sure; but mostly because he got the loudest cheers out of the Sox fans, and the boos were directed toward drowning those out.

And booing Pedroia, Ellsbury, Varitek, Bay, Drew... heck, everyone except Anderson cause no one had heard of him. It cracked me up.

Of course, I was less enamored with the three drunks beside me who booed Ortiz and yelled that he was a Steroid Taking MFer, and other tasty phrases. Mrs Slpybear was ready to take 'em on, though! :)

And yeah, that stadium was loud Saturday for Sox fans, even louder on Sunday, though probably cause the Ballpark was less than half full.