PDA

View Full Version : Some old movies we need to see

PhiI C
08-18-2009, 07:29 PM
I made a list over 5 years ago and you can read them by searching the words samson slave queen galveston. Since I have made this list most have happily been shown on tv by TCM, Encore Western Channel, etc and some have been posted on the internet at youtube and other web sites. This is great indeed and several of them include Samson and the Slave Queen, EEGAAH, The Horror of Party Beach, The Iron Sherriff, and Hold that Coed.

Some haven't though so I will give a new list. Several have been shown once but of course we need a second chance. I haven't included Dawn at Socorro because TCM gave us several chances even though it has been a few years.

1. The Man From Galveston - with Jeffrey Hunter and James Coburn. It is a trial movie set in the old west with a great cast. Jeffrey Hunter's reply to one of the ladies disgusted with some of the towns people is indeed classical. And watch out for James Coburn's big grin.

2. The Woman Who Wouldn't Die (also known as Catacombs). A great murder mystery and what a great parting shot.

3. Ghost Town (1956) with Kent Taylor and John Smith. This is a great western with passengers having to hold up in a ghost town fighting hostile Indians. And that parting shot is also outstanding and somewhat scary.

4. The Stagecoach to Dancer's Rock. The title song of this western is great and it introduces Martin Landau who was to become especially famous on Mission Impossible tv series.

5. Angel Baby - a great movie with George Hamilton.

6. The Spoilers (1950s version with Jeff Chandler and Rory Calhoun). This is a remake of the great John Wayne movie but it is great too and in color.

7. Portrait in Black - A great murder mystery movie with Anthony Quin, Lana Turner, Sandra Dee and John Saxon.

8. The Curse of the Living Corpse - a great horror mystery that TCM has shown once but we need a second chance.

9. Voice in the Mirror with Richard Egan and Walter Matthau. This is loosely based on the AAA founders.

10 Slaughter on Tenth Avenue - a great dock crime movie with Richard Egan as a DA. Dan Duryea is great as the defense attorney.

11. Never Say Goodbye - This is a great movie with Rock Hudson. The ladies will really enjoy but it is good for the whole family believe it or not. Trust me on this one men. It is good.

That's enough for now. I will add more as I think. Hopefully when the list is review in five years most if not all of these will have been available for watching somewhere.

PhiI C
08-18-2009, 07:34 PM
Another one that we need to be able to see is the great motorcycle gang movie made in late 60s called Glory Stompers with Dennis Hopper and Jody (Joel's son) MacCrea. Also a great Joel MacCrea western The Lone Hand which also starred James Arness needs to be shown again. And we must get to see the great Audie Murphy westerns Tumbleweed and Ride Clear of Diablo which has Dan Duryea giving his usual outstanding performances.

Feel free to add your movies too no matter when made.

SWMustang
08-18-2009, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by PhiI C

11. Never Say Goodbye - This is a great movie with Rock Hudson. The ladies will really enjoy but it is good for the whole family believe it or not. Trust me on this one men. It is good.

I think there are some men out there that would really enjoy a Rock Hudson movie.

Phil C
08-20-2009, 03:19 PM
Some other great western movies from the early 50s we need to see are Tumbleweed with Audie Murphy and Chill Wills and Ride Clear of Diablo with Audie Murphy and Dan Duryea.

Dan Duryea made two great murder mystery movies in the mid 60s called Do You Know This Voice (that has a surprise ending) and Walk A Tightrope. Both excellent.

PhiI C
08-21-2009, 10:40 PM
After what TCM did to us we can add Hey Boy! Hey Girl! - the great Louis Prima Keely Smith movie back to the list. :(