PDA

View Full Version : Single Wing Question

Electus Unus
08-18-2009, 05:50 PM
Is it the equivalent to the Wildcat formation now days? I'm just wondering.

IrishTex
08-18-2009, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus

The wildcat formation, (or wildcat offense) a variation on the single-wing formation, is an offensive American football scheme that has been used at every level of the game including the CFL, NFL, NCAA, NAIA, and many high schools across America. The general scheme can be instituted into many different offensive systems, but the distinguishing factor is a direct snap to the running back and an unbalanced offensive line.

The wildcat is an offensive package rather than an offense, in that it uses the same pre-snap motion coming across the formation on every play in the package and every play initially looks like a sweep behind zone blocking. However, after the snap several things may happen once the motion man crosses the player receiving the snap.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/6a/BaseWildcatOffense.jpg/175px-BaseWildcatOffense.jpg
Base Wildcat

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/ef/SpeedSweepWildcatOffense.jpg/175px-SpeedSweepWildcatOffense.jpg
Speed Sweep

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/47/QBCounterWildcatOffense.jpg/175px-QBCounterWildcatOffense.jpg
QB Counter

The precursor to the Wildcat formation is named the "Wing-T",[1][2] and is widely credited to being first implemented by Coach Tubby Raymond and Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens football team.[3][4][5] Tubby Raymond later wrote a book on the innovative formation. The Wildcat's similarity to the Wing-T is the focus on series football, where the initial movements of every play look similar. For example, the Wing-T makes use of motion across the formation as well in order to draw a reaction from the defense, but runs several different plays from the same look.

The virtue of having a running back take the snap in the Wildcat formation is that the rushing play is 11-on-11 (although different variations have the running back hand off or throw the football). In a standard football formation, when the quarterback stands watching, the offense operates 10-on-11 basis. The motion also presents the defense with an immediate threat to the outside that it must respect no matter what the offense decides to do with the football.

High school
There has been much conjecture about the origins of the Wildcat offensive scheme. Some claim it is named for the Wildcats of West Genesee High School, where Miami Dolphins assistant coach Steve Bush once worked.[6] Others claim that the offense was created by double-wing guru Hugh Wyatt, a longtime coach in the Pacific Northwest. Wyatt, coaching the La Center (WA) High School Wildcats, published an article in "Scholastic Coach" magazine in 1998, where he explained in detail his offensive system.[7] Many other high school football programs across the United States run or have in the past run similar schemes.

The wildcat offense's key trait, that either the quarterback or running back can receive a direct snap, is one of the many gimmicks featured in the controversial A-11 offense.

College
The Wildcat was popularized on the college level by current Auburn offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn, and current Miami Dolphins quarterback coach David Lee in their former jobs as offensive coordinator with the Arkansas Razorbacks. In 2006, Malzahn, and in 2007 Lee, was the offensive coordinator for the Arkansas Razorbacks football team. They both ran a variation of the Wildcat formation in which running backs Darren McFadden and Felix Jones were prominently featured. The Wildcat formation was sometimes called the "WildHog" (in honor of the Razorback mascot at the University of Arkansas) and subsequently rebranded as the "WildRebel"[8] when Arkansas head coach Houston Nutt went to Ole Miss as head coach (Ole Miss' mascot being the Rebels).

While the Wildcat formation is often seen as successful for offenses, there have been several instances where the wildcat formation has indeed kept the defense on their toes, but the offense has not followed through. Kansas State has used the Wildcat offense more recently as has the University of Pittsburgh. The University of Pittsburgh has had great success with the formation lining up either star running back LeSean McCoy or running back LaRod Stephens-Howling taking the snap. The Panthers have scored numerous times from this formation throughout the last two seasons.[9]

National Football League

Chiefs running back Larry Johnson lines up at the quarterback position in the Wildcat formation, 2008.In a December 24, 2006 game between the Carolina Panthers and Atlanta Falcons, the Panthers deployed a formation without a quarterback and directly snapped the ball to running back DeAngelo Williams.[10] The Panthers ran the ball—mostly in this formation—for the first twelve plays of the opening drive. The offensive coordinator of the Carolina Panthers at the time was Dan Henning, who later developed this concept into the Wildcat as the offensive coordinator for the Miami Dolphins.

Relying on the experience of quarterbacks coach David Lee who had run the scheme at Arkansas, the 2008 Miami Dolphins implemented the Wildcat offense beginning in the third game of the 2008 season with great success, instigating a wider trend throughout the NFL.[11][12] The Dolphins started the Wildcat trend in the NFL lining up either running back Ronnie Brown (in most cases) or Ricky Williams in the shotgun formation with the option of handing off, running, or throwing. Through eleven games, the Wildcat averaged over seven yards per play for the Dolphins. "It could be the single wing, it could be the Delaware split buck business that they used to do," Dolphins offensive coordinator Dan Henning said. "It comes from all of that."[13] On September 21, 2008, the Miami Dolphins used the Wildcat offense against the New England Patriots on six plays, which produced five touchdowns (four rushing and one passing) in a 38-13 upset victory.

The 2008 Oakland Raiders first used the Wildcat beginning in their first game of the 2008 season against the Denver Broncos, using former Arkansas star Darren McFadden (who ran the formation at Arkansas) and Justin Fargas. It was not as successful offensively as the Dolphins' implementation. The Broncos ended up winning in a blowout.

As the popularity of the Wildcat spread during the 2008 NFL season, several teams began instituting it as a part of their playbook, including the Kansas City Chiefs, Chicago Bears, Carolina Panthers, Atlanta Falcons, Baltimore Ravens, New England Patriots, San Francisco 49ers, Cleveland Browns, Philadelphia Eagles, St. Louis Rams, New York Jets, Arizona Cardinals, and the Dallas Cowboys.

Many teams admit to spending an inordinate amount of time having to prepare for such a scheme.

Source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildcat_formation)

icu812
08-19-2009, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Electus Unus

I've run the single wing for several yrs. in youth fb. Last yr. with 5th/6th graders. Lots of variations of the SW. The wildcat is one of those. I prefer the traditional unbalanced tight formation (foot to foot) with 4 backs (fullback,wingback,tailback,blocking back). I always loved explaining to parent we had no qb :) Another difference is the lineman are off the ball as much as legally possible (their helmets at the waist of the center). This makes pulling easier and allows the linemen time to come together when running wedge plays. Our center direct snaps the ball to the FB,TB or BB. When run properly is mass confusion for the defense. Also, it gives the advantage of playing 11 vs. 11 instead of 10 vs. 11. I say this because at the youth level the qb just hands off 90% of the time and is really a wasted position. The players absolutely love the SW and so do I. Great offense. The fullback spin series is a thing of beauty. Lots of information on the web right now as it is making a huge comeback. Here is a good start:

http://swsentinel.blogspot.com/

A couple videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoUBXlMPppw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1i5hilluXo&feature=related

Old Dog
08-19-2009, 03:53 PM
We ran the wing in my early high school years. Not saying it was good or bad, but man I really enjoyed running it. I always felt like so many of the plays appeared to be a stampede for the corner, there would be a break out for a decent run or a hell of a smashup!

icu812
08-19-2009, 05:22 PM
Old Dog, did you guys run the straight series of plays such as sweeps, off tackle and seam bucks or did you run the spinner series? I'd love to see a good high school team from TX run it. Seems it would good fit for an athletic team without a true QB. I like to watch Tim Tebow run a little of it at Florida. Gotta love that jump pass he does. My youth team ran the jump pass a few times for points after td. Fun stuff.

Old Dog
08-19-2009, 05:26 PM
icu, we didn't run many spins if I recall, but that has been 2 or 3 years ago (maybe 40) !!!!!!!