PDA

View Full Version : Stepping Down from Varsity Sports to Dare Greatly!

coachingislife
08-17-2009, 07:13 PM
As many of you know, I have been a part of 3A football for some time. I am a proud graduate of Sinton High School and my most recent 3A gig was as an assistant varsity football coach for the Ingleside Mustangs. The last couple of years I moved to 2A and the Skidmore-Tynan Bobcats where I was the Special Teams Coordinator and o-Line and D-Line coach as well as the head boys basketball coach. I wasn't the best example of a coach physically as I let my weight and health get way out of hand. I decided to step down from varsity sports and coach at a middle school in Corpus Christi. Since then, I have become a triathlete completing 3 triathlons this summer and I am currently training for the Rock and Roll San Antonio 1/2 Marathon in November and the Chevron Houston Full Marathon in July. I will miss Varsity, but my goals of self sacrifice and fitness are extremely important to me as well as a goal I have set for November 2011 to complete a full Ironman Triathlon. If you would like, please feel free to visit my web page at www.tridaringgreatly.com to read my story. Hopefully it inspires someone to Dare Greatly in their own life.

Old Green
08-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by coachingislife
As many of you know, I have been a part of 3A football for some time. I am a proud graduate of Sinton High School and my most recent 3A gig was as an assistant varsity football coach for the Ingleside Mustangs. The last couple of years I moved to 2A and the Skidmore-Tynan Bobcats where I was the Special Teams Coordinator and o-Line and D-Line coach as well as the head boys basketball coach. I wasn't the best example of a coach physically as I let my weight and health get way out of hand. I decided to step down from varsity sports and coach at a middle school in Corpus Christi. Since then, I have become a triathlete completing 3 triathlons this summer and I am currently training for the Rock and Roll San Antonio 1/2 Marathon in November and the Chevron Houston Full Marathon in July. I will miss Varsity, but my goals of self sacrifice and fitness are extremely important to me as well as a goal I have set for November 2011 to complete a full Ironman Triathlon. If you would like, please feel free to visit my web page at www.tridaringgreatly.com to read my story. Hopefully it inspires someone to Dare Greatly in their own life. I read article in the CCCaller about you. Congratulations on what you have accomplished and good luck in the Ironman Triathlon.

mwynn05
08-17-2009, 07:32 PM
really impressive

IrishTex
08-17-2009, 07:35 PM
Good luck Coach....I admire you for turning your life around. After it's all said and done, nothing is more important than good health, and you are demonstrating it's possible to turn one's life around. Congrats!!

:2thumbsup

coachingislife
08-17-2009, 07:46 PM
Thanks everyone. It is never to late to turn your life around. I will never suggest someone use the means that I had to. Weight loss surgery is ONLY a tool. My daddy always told me use the right tool for the job and use that tool correctly. The right tool for me was surgery, but to use it correctlyu I needed to make severe changes. I am much happier with myself since those changes. I had a recovery run this afternoon of 40 minutes and wasnt the leat bit tired after the run. Last year this time that would have honestly killed me. I am making it a mission in my life to do whatever I can to help children understand how important it is to be healthy. My PE classes at school will definately show this. Being active is the most fun I have had in a long time.

sinton66
08-17-2009, 07:48 PM
I've known this man practically all his life through his school days, his service to the community and through our church. Darrell, my friend, I am so happy for and proud of you. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors, and I pray many others will take your message to heart and begin to change their own lives.

Ranger Mom
08-17-2009, 07:50 PM
What an inspirational story!!

Out of curiosity, are you related to another poster that used to be here??

I thought I saw a resemblance in that video!!

Old Green
08-17-2009, 07:55 PM
Thanks everyone. It is never to late to turn your life around. I will never suggest someone use the means that I had to. Weight loss surgery is ONLY a tool. My daddy always told me use the right tool for the job and use that tool correctly. The right tool for me was surgery, but to use it correctlyu I needed to make severe changes. I am much happier with myself since those changes. I had a recovery run this afternoon of 40 minutes and wasnt the leat bit tired after the run. Last year this time that would have honestly killed me. I am making it a mission in my life to do whatever I can to help children understand how important it is to be healthy. My PE classes at school will definately show this. Being active is the most fun I have had in a long time. In a couple of months after all my counseling, I'm going to have the same surgery. At 55, I'm finally learning that it's never too late to change your lifestyle. You're a model for everyone. Not just kids, but us adults too.

coachingislife
08-17-2009, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
I've known this man practically all his life through his school days, his service to the community and through our church. Darrell, my friend, I am so happy for and proud of you. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors, and I pray many others will take your message to heart and begin to change their own lives. Thanks for those kind words. I only hope to be half the person my kids are!

coachingislife
08-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
What an inspirational story!!

Out of curiosity, are you related to another poster that used to be here??

I thought I saw a resemblance in that video!! If you are talking about P44 yes. He is my brother. There was always a slight resemblence, but now people think I am him all the time. He built the web site.

ronwx5x
08-17-2009, 08:01 PM
As many of you know, I have been a part of 3A football for some time. I am a proud graduate of Sinton High School and my most recent 3A gig was as an assistant varsity football coach for the Ingleside Mustangs. The last couple of years I moved to 2A and the Skidmore-Tynan Bobcats where I was the Special Teams Coordinator and o-Line and D-Line coach as well as the head boys basketball coach. I wasn't the best example of a coach physically as I let my weight and health get way out of hand. I decided to step down from varsity sports and coach at a middle school in Corpus Christi. Since then, I have become a triathlete completing 3 triathlons this summer and I am currently training for the Rock and Roll San Antonio 1/2 Marathon in November and the Chevron Houston Full Marathon in July. I will miss Varsity, but my goals of self sacrifice and fitness are extremely important to me as well as a goal I have set for November 2011 to complete a full Ironman Triathlon. If you would like, please feel free to visit my web page at www.tridaringgreatly.com to read my story. Hopefully it inspires someone to Dare Greatly in their own life.
Congratulations on being happy with yourself. That is every bit as important as being someone to be admired. You can be proud and I know your family must be also.

Sweetwater Red
08-17-2009, 08:04 PM
Awesome and congrats coach. :clap:

Now if I could just find the same willpower to quit
smoking. :(

Ranger Mom
08-17-2009, 08:25 PM
If you are talking about P44 yes. He is my brother. There was always a slight resemblence, but now people think I am him all the time. He built the web site.

I knew it!! There is a STRONG family resemblance!!

44INAROW
08-17-2009, 08:28 PM
congrats on taking the steps to change your lifestyle and improve your quality of life. Good Luck in the future endeavors ;)

coachingislife
08-17-2009, 08:45 PM
I knew it!! There is a STRONG family resemblance!! OK, maybe a little more than a slight resemblance. You should see our dad and you would see exactly where we get our stunning good looks. lol

Sweetwater Red
08-17-2009, 08:48 PM
I sent pirate44 a PM asking him to make a sig for me
one night about four years ago. He had it ready by
noon the next day. If you wanna see it, look at the
bottom of this post.

Ranger Mom
08-17-2009, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
I sent pirate44 a PM asking him to make a sig for me
one night about four years ago. He had it ready by
noon the next day. If you wanna see it, look at the
bottom of this post.

He did great work...didn't he??

Too bad he got so busy and had to retire.

I think I will go pull the signature he made me!!

coachingislife
08-17-2009, 09:16 PM
He has more ability, creativity, and talent than I could ever imagine!

44INAROW
08-17-2009, 09:44 PM
He has more ability, creativity, and talent than I could ever imagine!
I know that's right - I've had the pleasure of meeting him, his wife and little boy - we met at the Longhorn Steak House in CC in 2006 the night before the 1st round of the Regional Golf tourney (my son was playing) we had a nice such a nice time (with other downlowers) P44 is such a nice guy and focuses his life around his wife and little boy - he seems like such a wonderful husband and father....... I wish he could find time to get on the downlow occasionally - I know I speak for quite a few of us, we miss you Mike!

zebrablue2
08-17-2009, 09:45 PM

:clap:

lostaussie
08-18-2009, 06:27 AM
Weight loss surgery is ONLY a tool. My daddy always told me use the right tool for the job and use that tool correctly. What a great story:clap::clap: I too have had this surgery and it has completely changed my life. Instead of looking for the beer cooler when i get off work i look for the track.............110 pounds in 1 year and i could not be happier:thumbsup: thanks for sharing your story and congratulations.

lulu
08-18-2009, 10:38 AM
He did great work...didn't he??

Too bad he got so busy and had to retire.

I think I will go pull the signature he made me!!

If this is it I LIKE IT

coachingislife
08-18-2009, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
What a great story:clap::clap: I too have had this surgery and it has completely changed my life. Instead of looking for the beer cooler when i get off work i look for the track.............110 pounds in 1 year and i could not be happier:thumbsup: thanks for sharing your story and congratulations. Well congratulations to you as well. I hated running. Even when I was a young athlete. I would have rather do any other type of conditioning. Now I love it. I have to hold myself back. Yesterday, my plan called for a 40 minute recovery run and it was everything I could do to stop at 40 minutes. Keep up the good work!

sinton66
08-18-2009, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by lulu
If this is it I LIKE IT

Look underneath mine too.;)

RiverRat19
08-18-2009, 11:14 PM
Congrats and God Bless in your efforts!

lulu
08-18-2009, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Look underneath mine too.;)