PDA

View Full Version : Buckeye story from longview news- journal

lostaussie
08-17-2009, 10:22 AM
No questions at quarterback for Buckeyes

By GABRIEL D. BROOKS

Friday, August 14, 2009

GILMER — Gilmer head football coach Jeff Traylor has something entering the 2009 football season he's never had — a three-year starter at quarterback.

All the big offensive numbers posted during Traylor's tenure have occurred while Gilmer replaced its signal caller almost every year. Senior Darian "Stump" Godfrey enters his third year directing the Gilmer offense after throwing for 4,610 yards and 72 touchdowns in two seasons. Gilmer opens the season ranked No. 1 in Class 3A by Dave Campbell's Texas Football magazine.

"I haven't had many returning starters (at quarterback) ever," Traylor said. "Stump to be a three-year returner is very unique, but it's been great because he knows the offense so well and he's just such a good leader."

Godfrey needs 20 touchdown passes to tie former Southlake Carroll quarterback Chase Daniel (92) for eighth on the all-time Texas high school list, 22 scoring tosses to tie Tenaha star Chavis McCollister (94) for seventh. Thirty touchdown passes places Godfrey sixth, one ahead of former Burnet standout Stephen McGee (101). Forty? Godfrey moves to fifth at 112, one behind former Baytown Lee quarterback Drew Tate (113). Tuscola Jim Ned's Colt McCoy (116), Canton/Gilmer's G.J. Kinne (130) and Ennis' Graham Harrell (167) are the top three.

Godfrey, who joins Derek McKenzie as Traylor's only multi-year Buckeye starting quarterbacks, can do more than pass. As a junior, he gained 885 rushing yards and scored 17 touchdowns, giving him 51 total scores. Godfrey has offers from Kansas State and Tulsa, according to Rivals.com. Former Buckeye quarterback Kinne is in a three-way battle for the starting job at Tulsa.

Other than quarterback, Traylor believes Gilmer's defense will be strong. Traylor pointed out that Gilmer has eight seniors who played as sophomores on the 2007 Division I state finalist team; seven of them play defense — four linebackers, two safeties and a cornerback. Mikey Wilson and Vance Green return at inside linebacker after combining for 275 tackles in 2008. Defensive backs Tristan Holt and Braylon Webb, who have both committed to Missouri, are also back to provide the Buckeyes with plenty of athleticism in the secondary.

"I think (the defense) will be the strength of our team. They're not real big, but they're quick and they're tough kids and they're smart," Traylor said. "There's nobody over there who's just going to blow you away with their size, but they're all 185-pound kids who can run and tackle."

Traylor said fall camp has progressed well with so many returning players because the coaching staff does not need to teach as much. He did say, however, there were holes to fill.

While the linebackers and secondary look solid, Traylor said the Buckeyes need four defensive linemen to step up. Offensively, they need three receivers and two offensive linemen, according to Traylor.

"Those are our holes right now. We've got some names, but we're hoping to see more in the scrimmage," Traylor said. "We've just got to see if they're going to come one."

Gilmer scrimmages at Atlanta at 10 a.m. Saturday, then travels to New Boston next Thursday for a 6 p.m. scrimmage.

Traylor said his players know the pressure they're under to win every year. Keeping a winning program rolling is the main goal.

"I've used the analogy: It's kind of like a monster, you've just got to keep feeding it. And there's never enough food," Traylor said. "To lose one game around here is like you're going 0-10. They just don't want to lose. None of the kids want to lose."

Gilmer hasn't loss a district game since October of 2000. The Buckeyes haven't lost at home since 2001.

"A lot of pressure, some people say, but our motto around here is pressure's a privilege," Traylor said. "If you don't have some pressure on you, you're probably not very good.

"(The motivation) is just winning. Winning for everybody," said offensive lineman Jacob Jenkins, another Missouri commit. "Everybody expects a lot out of us. We expect a lot from ourselves."

lulu
08-17-2009, 10:36 AM
Ok Aussie....RUB IT IN. We know. We read.

Hate you guys:D Not really..if they were writing those things about us I would be flaunting it too. I hope if ya"ll beat us you make it all the way. I personally will help you with the SMACK talk. What better than to have the Champions from our didtrict.

BuckeyeNut
08-17-2009, 10:40 AM
They looked really good Saturday at Atlanta. All of them from Freshman, JV, and Varsity.

lulu
08-17-2009, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Black Flag
They looked really good Saturday at Atlanta. All of them from Freshman, JV, and Varsity.

Well what did you expect?:rolleyes:

BuckeyeNut
08-17-2009, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by lulu
Well what did you expect?:rolleyes:

this year i will be very humble these are a great group of men we have this year 61 on the Varsity and they all can play.

pirate4state
08-17-2009, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
No questions at quarterback for Buckeyes

By GABRIEL D. BROOKS

Friday, August 14, 2009

GILMER — Gilmer head football coach Jeff Traylor has something entering the 2009 football season he's never had — a three-year starter at quarterback.

All the big offensive numbers posted during Traylor's tenure have occurred while Gilmer replaced its signal caller almost every year. Senior Darian "Stump" Godfrey enters his third year directing the Gilmer offense after throwing for 4,610 yards and 72 touchdowns in two seasons. Gilmer opens the season ranked No. 1 in Class 3A by Dave Campbell's Texas Football magazine.

"I haven't had many returning starters (at quarterback) ever," Traylor said. "Stump to be a three-year returner is very unique, but it's been great because he knows the offense so well and he's just such a good leader."

Godfrey needs 20 touchdown passes to tie former Southlake Carroll quarterback Chase Daniel (92) for eighth on the all-time Texas high school list, 22 scoring tosses to tie Tenaha star Chavis McCollister (94) for seventh. Thirty touchdown passes places Godfrey sixth, one ahead of former Burnet standout Stephen McGee (101). Forty? Godfrey moves to fifth at 112, one behind former Baytown Lee quarterback Drew Tate (113). Tuscola Jim Ned's Colt McCoy (116), Canton/Gilmer's G.J. Kinne (130) and Ennis' Graham Harrell (167) are the top three.

Godfrey, who joins Derek McKenzie as Traylor's only multi-year Buckeye starting quarterbacks, can do more than pass. As a junior, he gained 885 rushing yards and scored 17 touchdowns, giving him 51 total scores. Godfrey has offers from Kansas State and Tulsa, according to Rivals.com. Former Buckeye quarterback Kinne is in a three-way battle for the starting job at Tulsa.

Other than quarterback, Traylor believes Gilmer's defense will be strong. Traylor pointed out that Gilmer has eight seniors who played as sophomores on the 2007 Division I state finalist team; seven of them play defense — four linebackers, two safeties and a cornerback. Mikey Wilson and Vance Green return at inside linebacker after combining for 275 tackles in 2008. Defensive backs Tristan Holt and Braylon Webb, who have both committed to Missouri, are also back to provide the Buckeyes with plenty of athleticism in the secondary.

"I think (the defense) will be the strength of our team. They're not real big, but they're quick and they're tough kids and they're smart," Traylor said. "There's nobody over there who's just going to blow you away with their size, but they're all 185-pound kids who can run and tackle."

Traylor said fall camp has progressed well with so many returning players because the coaching staff does not need to teach as much. He did say, however, there were holes to fill.

While the linebackers and secondary look solid, Traylor said the Buckeyes need four defensive linemen to step up. Offensively, they need three receivers and two offensive linemen, according to Traylor.

"Those are our holes right now. We've got some names, but we're hoping to see more in the scrimmage," Traylor said. "We've just got to see if they're going to come one."

Gilmer scrimmages at Atlanta at 10 a.m. Saturday, then travels to New Boston next Thursday for a 6 p.m. scrimmage.

Traylor said his players know the pressure they're under to win every year. Keeping a winning program rolling is the main goal.

"I've used the analogy: It's kind of like a monster, you've just got to keep feeding it. And there's never enough food," Traylor said. "To lose one game around here is like you're going 0-10. They just don't want to lose. None of the kids want to lose."

Gilmer hasn't loss a district game since October of 2000. The Buckeyes haven't lost at home since 2001.

"A lot of pressure, some people say, but our motto around here is pressure's a privilege," Traylor said. "If you don't have some pressure on you, you're probably not very good.

"(The motivation) is just winning. Winning for everybody," said offensive lineman Jacob Jenkins, another Missouri commit. "Everybody expects a lot out of us. We expect a lot from ourselves."

As always good luck to my friends in Gilmer! :thumbsup:

Year of the Stump! ;) :D