PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Morning News HSGametime rankings

Farmersfan
08-17-2009, 08:47 AM
The HSgametime rankings came out this morning for the North Texas area in the newspaper. These only include the teams in the Dallas Morning News viewing area so I understand there are a lot of teams that don't get considered so don't blow a gasket people: These include all classification from 3A down.

1. Celina
2. Prosper
3. Argyle
4. Kaufman
5. Kennedale
6. Farmersville
7. Car. Ranchview
8. Madison
9. Pilot Point
10. Lovejoy.

IrishTex
08-17-2009, 08:50 AM
What??????

No Monahans????

:D :D :D

Gsquared
08-17-2009, 08:51 AM
Ughh, outside of Celina and the occasional Prosper type team everyonce in a while. DFW metroplex is a depressing area for 3a football

ssgmp5150
08-17-2009, 09:17 AM
You are crazy! Celina, Prosper, Argyle, Farmersville, Lovejoy, Kaufman, etc will be very competitive. Celina will battle for another state title in Division II. Prosper is the defending DI state champion and will be good again this year! Argyle, Farmersville, Lovejoy, Kaufman and Madison will possibly go 2-3 rounds deep in the playoffs this year. I argue that the DFW metroplex in particular, Collin County, is arguably some of the best football from AA-AAAAA in the state of Texas! With the way the area is exploding with growth, we don't have many AAA teams. Celina will go 4A within the next five years or so. Prosper will go 4A probably in the next realignment. Argyle might stay 3A. Farmersville is going to drop back down to 2A. Lovejoy will go 4A next alignment. Kaufman and Madison will probably stay 3A. So, it is hard to establish dominance in AAA year in and year out with so many teams moving up in divisions. However, those teams that move up in classification usually are competitive at the next higher level. So, I argue that some of the best football in the state can be found right here in North Central Texas!

Originally posted by Gsquared
Ughh, outside of Celina and the occasional Prosper type team everyonce in a while. DFW metroplex is a depressing area for 3a football

IrishTex
08-17-2009, 09:19 AM
Sorry for sticking my nose in here, but I think the deal was the coverage by the Dallas Morning News and the coverage area was the point.

Gsquared
08-17-2009, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by ssgmp5150
You are crazy! Celina, Prosper, Argyle, Farmersville, Lovejoy, Kaufman, etc will be very competitive. Celina will battle for another state title in Division II. Prosper is the defending DI state champion and will be good again this year! Argyle, Farmersville, Lovejoy, Kaufman and Madison will possibly go 2-3 rounds deep in the playoffs this year. I argue that the DFW metroplex in particular, Collin County, is arguably some of the best football from AA-AAAAA in the state of Texas! With the way the area is exploding with growth, we don't have many AAA teams. Celina will go 4A within the next five years or so. Prosper will go 4A probably in the next realignment. Argyle might stay 3A. Farmersville is going to drop back down to 2A. Lovejoy will go 4A next alignment. Kaufman and Madison will probably stay 3A. So, it is hard to establish dominance in AAA year in and year out with so many teams moving up in divisions. However, those teams that move up in classification usually are competitive at the next higher level. So, I argue that some of the best football in the state can be found right here in North Central Texas!
I am crazy but I do agree with you about Celian and prosper last year but outside of that, not much in 2a and 3a around here that interests me. I have to head southeast, east, and a couple of trips west to see what I like to see in these two classifications. And yes, dfw area has some of the best football in 4A and 5A but 2a and 3a in this area doesnt have alot of great teams, and alot of it is because of the reason you stated, not many of those size schools around here. Also, the reason those teams will go 2-3 rounds deep is because THEY PLAY OTHER DFW teams the first few rounds. If you think the Lovejoys, Kaufmans etc... that you mentioned are the top tier teams I am wanting to see, then sir, you need to go see some ball outside of the dfw area.

Matthew328
08-17-2009, 09:36 AM
DFW 3A football has been bad, nothing like it was in the early 2000s when you had Everman, Forney, Commerce and even Aledo for a little while. Kennedale, Bridgeport, Decartur, Wilmer-Hutchins and Gainesville were all powers as well......

d0tc0m
08-17-2009, 09:43 AM
I highly doubt Celina will be 4a within 5 years. We still have the lowest enrollment in the district by a lot, and the growth has actually slowed a bit here. I could be wrong, but I don't see us making the jump for another 7-10 years.

BILLYFRED0000
08-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by d0tc0m
I highly doubt Celina will be 4a within 5 years. We still have the lowest enrollment in the district by a lot, and the growth has actually slowed a bit here. I could be wrong, but I don't see us making the jump for another 7-10 years.

I agree. We only grew about 3 percent last year. it looks like this year will repeat. Till the economy jumps a little I think we will stay where we are for at least a few years.

ssgmp5150
08-17-2009, 10:11 AM
For example, we play (what I would consider) east texas teams in the first round such as Canton, Pittsburg, Atlanta, etc...So not sure about the comment that we play each other in the first two rounds? We would meet in the 3rd round in Regionals. I guess it is a matter of geography and who would consider what team to be from what part of Texas. For example, back when Commerce was dominant in AAA, I would consider them as part of east texas football as well. So, I guess it depends on what your definition of DFW area 3a teams are. Meanwhile, the DFW area has always been pretty dominant in 2A football. Farmersville won it all in 2007. Back when Celina was in 2a the were winning state titles left and right. Pottsboro almost won it all last year. Callisburg did well. Gunter, Whitewright, Aubrey, Pilot Point, etc....I could go on and on about AA football, however I would argue that most of those teams are not DFW teams. So, again I guess it depends on what your geographic definition is.

I am crazy but I do agree with you about Celian and prosper last year but outside of that, not much in 2a and 3a around here that interests me. I have to head southeast, east, and a couple of trips west to see what I like to see in these two classifications. And yes, dfw area has some of the best football in 4A and 5A but 2a and 3a in this area doesnt have alot of great teams, and alot of it is because of the reason you stated, not many of those size schools around here. Also, the reason those teams will go 2-3 rounds deep is because THEY PLAY OTHER DFW teams the first few rounds. If you think the Lovejoys, Kaufmans etc... that you mentioned are the top tier teams I am wanting to see, then sir, you need to go see some ball outside of the dfw area.

BobcatBenny
08-17-2009, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
I agree. We only grew about 3 percent last year. it looks like this year will repeat. Till the economy jumps a little I think we will stay where we are for at least a few years.
I personally grew about 10% last year. :D

It really is disgusting!

Matthew328
08-17-2009, 11:08 AM
Commerce typically has played in a DFW district with the likes of Forney, Royse City, Quinlan Ford so by proxy I consider them DFW

ssgmp5150
08-17-2009, 11:33 AM
See, I dont consider any of those teams as DFW teams....lol I guess it depends on what your definition is by geography....

Emerson1
08-17-2009, 11:49 AM
How do you not consider Forney DFW? It's Dallas go through mesquite, you are in Forney

Rabbit'93
08-17-2009, 12:00 PM
Funny...I stop posting for a couple months and come back to find out we're still trying to figure out what 3a team you consider DFW.:rolleyes: :p

ssgmp5150
08-17-2009, 12:02 PM
They are in Hunt and Kaufman counties for the most part. If they were in Rockwall county I might consider them DFW area. I can't remember if Forney is Rockwall county or not. I consider DFW area teams to be rockwall counties/dallas counties/collin county and maybe denton county. If you live outside those counties I would think they are not considered in the DFW metroplex.

Pick6
08-17-2009, 12:11 PM
They are in Hunt and Kaufman counties for the most part. If they were in Rockwall county I might consider them DFW area. I can't remember if Forney is Rockwall county or not. I consider DFW area teams to be rockwall counties/dallas counties/collin county and maybe denton county. If you live outside those counties I would think they are not considered in the DFW metroplex.

I think that would be considered Dallas Morning News Counties. None of the areas you listed include the FW area.

garciap77
08-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
I personally grew about 10% last year. :D

It really is disgusting!

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/FatCa2t-1.gif

You need to loose some pounds there Benny!

:D

P.S. Hope to catch you in the playoffs!

block&tackle
08-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Each year between 2000-2003 there were three very good 3A teams in the area - Everman, Forney, Commerce ('00 and '01), and Gainesville ('02-'03). Those four teams produced 5 state finalist but after that the talent level falls off dramatically.

2005-2008 things were only slightly down. There has been at least two good teams every year, the second just changes every year: Gainesville, and Madison in '05, Celina and Madison in '06, Celina and Roosevelt in '07, Celina and Prosper in '08. Those teams also produced 5 state finalist during that period.

This year I think that there will be 3 legitimate top tier teams once more and DMN nailed them with their 1-2-3. It will drop off pretty sharply after that but it was the same way 'back in the day'.

As to 2A, there are hardly any 2A schools left in the area. Even so, one state semifinalist and one state champ in the last two years. Pilot Point should be as good this year as they were advertised to be last year.

Matthew328
08-17-2009, 02:39 PM

So Kaufman County which borders Dallas County is not DFW?? You have quite an interesing sense of geography considering Fort Worth is the FW in DFW and you dont list Tarrant County as being DFW. LOL

Any county that borders Dallas or Tarrant County is DFW....I'll give you that Hunt County is a stretch but its hardly East Texas either..its a border county like Navarro.

So for the purposes of geography here are the counties in DFW with county seat for edification

Dallas: Dallas
Tarrant: Ft. Worth
Ellis: Waxahachie
Johnson: Cleburne
Hood: Granbury
Parker: Weatherford
Wise: Decatur
Denton: Denton
Collin: McKinney
Rockwall: Rockwall
Kaufman: Kaufman

Border Counties are counties which some consider DFW but don't border Dallas or Tarrant

Hunt: Greenville
Navarro: Corsicana
Hill: Hillsboro
Erath: Stephenville
Somerville: Glen Rose
Palo Pinto: Mineral Wells
Cooke: Gainesville
Grayson: Sherman

Matthew328
08-17-2009, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by block&tackle
Each year between 2000-2003 there were three very good 3A teams in the area - Everman, Forney, Commerce ('00 and '01), and Gainesville ('02-'03). Those four teams produced 5 state finalist but after that the talent level falls off dramatically.

2005-2008 things were only slightly down. There has been at least two good teams every year, the second just changes every year: Gainesville, and Madison in '05, Celina and Madison in '06, Celina and Roosevelt in '07, Celina and Prosper in '08. Those teams also produced 5 state finalist during that period.

This year I think that there will be 3 legitimate top tier teams once more and DMN nailed them with their 1-2-3. It will drop off pretty sharply after that but it was the same way 'back in the day'.

As to 2A, there are hardly any 2A schools left in the area. Even so, one state semifinalist and one state champ in the last two years. Pilot Point should be as good this year as they were advertised to be last year.

I slightly disagree, I think esp in 2000 and 2001 there were at least four really good teams in the area. Aledo in 2000 was ranked number 1 most of the regular season. In 2001 Kennedale advanced to the quarter-finals and Bridgeport was a semi-finalist. Decatur was also real strong in either 2002 or 2003 before getting upset by Abilene Wylie.

block&tackle
08-17-2009, 05:05 PM
I can accept slight disagreement. You are probably right. There is still good football being played around here, just not the depth that was here a few years ago. And last year was particularly weak, although Bridgeport had a strong team. Other than them Celina, and Prosper it was pretty slim pickens.

Twirling Time
08-17-2009, 05:19 PM
I can tell you that what constitutes the DMN coverage area has shrunk in the just the last 4 years to basically the area that borders Dallas County. Everyone else can go root hog or die.

They've totally cut out Grayson County. They don't even list Sherman or Denison athletes among their area leaders even though they are in a McKinney/Frisco district, and they don't bother with Gunter or Whitewright unless they're playing Melissa (in Collin County). And if they still sell 250 papers in Celina after hiking their subscription charge 3x in the last year, I'd be shocked.

Twirling Time
08-17-2009, 05:38 PM
I can tell you that what constitutes the DMN coverage area has shrunk in the just the last 4 years to basically the area that borders Dallas County. Everyone else can go root hog or die.

They've totally cut out Grayson County. They don't even list Sherman or Denison athletes among their area leaders even though they are in a McKinney/Frisco district, and they don't bother with Gunter or Whitewright unless they're playing Melissa (in Collin County). And if they still sell 250 papers in Celina after hiking their subscription charge 3x in the last year, I'd be shocked.

Pick6
08-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Decatur was also real strong in either 2002 or 2003 before getting upset by Abilene Wylie.

I think that was 2004.

Matthew328
08-17-2009, 06:21 PM
yes DMN coverage has shrunk along with every other newspaper.

d0tc0m
08-17-2009, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
yes DMN coverage has shrunk along with every other newspaper.

Yeah they have. I switched from Editorial to Broadcast Journalism for that very reason. Sadly, the days of printed news are dying a slow, painful death.

Farmersfan
08-18-2009, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Twirling Time

I know for years they have not included several of the teams east of Dallas. Lone Oak and Caddo Mills for example. Those teams are as close to Dallas as 50% of the teams they do include yet those players are rarely included in the stats. Nate Jeffery would have led ALL RB's in the area the last 2 seasons yet he was never included on the list. Of course it could also be the result of the coaches not calling in the stats. Right?

BuckeyeNut
08-18-2009, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I know for years they have not included several of the teams east of Dallas. Lone Oak and Caddo Mills for example. Those teams are as close to Dallas as 50% of the teams they do include yet those players are rarely included in the stats. Nate Jeffery would have led ALL RB's in the area the last 2 seasons yet he was never included on the list. Of course it could also be the result of the coaches not calling in the stats. Right?

We have the same thing here in East Texas. The Longview News never gives Gilmer any pub. We could be winning State and they will put Spring Hill Girls Basketball on the front page after they lose bye 30 points:doh: :doh:

purring kitty
08-18-2009, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Twirling Time
[And if they still sell 250 papers in Celina after hiking their subscription charge 3x in the last year, I'd be shocked. [/B]

A lot of Celina residents already go to the Sherman paper for Celina sports news - and I've heard grumbling everywhere about the price increase. DMN has covered Celina well in the past two days though. Maybe they want to keep the 250 subscribers. Hope it continues, so we won't be tempted to not renew also.

BobcatBenny
08-18-2009, 10:41 AM
I bought a DMN yesterday at Starbucks.

It is nice to flip through a paper every now and then, no matter how expensive it is.

lulu
08-18-2009, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Black Flag
We have the same thing here in East Texas. The Longview News never gives Gilmer any pub. We could be winning State and they will put Spring Hill Girls Basketball on the front page after they lose bye 30 points:doh: :doh:

Hey Hey Hey Black Flag Your Quarterback is on a special online page set up today part of the dream team. We get very little coverage cause we have to compete with the Lobos. I haven't seen anything about SH this season so far. But a few of your guys have been covered. Besides that you have a local newspaper still don't you...The Gilmer Mirror LOL?:rolleyes:

If your not nice Im' not gonna sit with you.

All kidding aside...There is a nice little online page that has Stump on it.

BuckeyeNut
08-18-2009, 04:54 PM
LOL GILMER MIRROR IS NICE BUT LNJ WOULD BE BETTER.