PDA

View Full Version : Folks arrested for Praying at an Athletic's Booster meeting?

SintonFan
08-17-2009, 01:40 AM
It has happened!:mad: :eek: :mad:

lulu
08-17-2009, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
It has happened!:mad: :eek: :mad:

Not liking that! This is America,:mad:

Emerson1
08-17-2009, 10:52 AM
link?

lulu
08-17-2009, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
link?

Here we go!:hairpunk:

BobcatBenny
08-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Those two men get the golden ticket into heaven.

rockdale80
08-17-2009, 04:34 PM
Well, it is against the law. There are plenty of laws that I dont like but have to follow. If I choose to disobey them then I know the consequences. Now these two do as well... :)

DDBooger
08-17-2009, 04:37 PM
it's horse sh*t... fox blew it up as if they were arrested for THAT. But they were court ordered to quit pushing religion on the kids. They broke that court order and a council member I believe reported them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKV_JswtO58

rockdale80
08-17-2009, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
it's horse sh*t... fox blew it up as if they were arrested for THAT. But they were court ordered to quit pushing religion on the kids. They broke that court order and a council member I believe reported them.

Well that changes the story a bit doesnt it? I am not surprised.

Phantom Stang
08-17-2009, 05:41 PM
Apparently not all of the kids feel imposed upon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUxdJz4CvWk&feature=fvw

DDBooger
08-17-2009, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
Apparently not all of the kids feel imposed upon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUxdJz4CvWk&feature=fvw nor did I say that, I was speaking of the legality of it and Fox's manipulation of the facts. This isn't the crusades nor is it la conquista. If you want religion in school send em to parochial schools, I wonder if the school principal was muslim and he pushed his religion how fast Fox would be over it showing kids on the monkey bars and claiming "he's training them for suicide missions!" lmao such silly silly people

Phantom Stang
08-17-2009, 06:05 PM
nor did I say that, I was speaking of the legality of it and Fox's manipulation of the facts. This isn't the crusades nor is it la conquista. If you want religion in school send em to parochial schools, I wonder if the school principal was muslim and he pushed his religion how fast Fox would be over it showing kids on the monkey bars and claiming "he's training them for suicide missions!" lmao such silly silly people
Sorry if it looked like I was putting words in your mouth. That really wasn't my intention. I'm merely trying to approach this issue from all points of view.

I'd like to know the specific acts that triggered the lawsuit in the first place, however I don't have time to do the research at present. Maybe I'll have something wothwile to share later.

DDBooger
08-17-2009, 06:08 PM
Sorry if it looked like I was putting words in your mouth. That really wasn't my intention. I'm merely trying to approach this issue from different viewpoints. I understand that, I just hate seeing more division being sown on purpose by driving peoples fears into madness.

PhiI C
08-17-2009, 06:11 PM
I keep tell you -

BE POLITICALLY CORRECT!!

:mad:

DDBooger
08-17-2009, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by PhiI C
I keep tell you -

were you telling us with an accent or typo? lol ;)

rockdale80
08-17-2009, 09:42 PM
nor did I say that, I was speaking of the legality of it and Fox's manipulation of the facts. This isn't the crusades nor is it la conquista. If you want religion in school send em to parochial schools, I wonder if the school principal was muslim and he pushed his religion how fast Fox would be over it showing kids on the monkey bars and claiming "he's training them for suicide missions!" lmao such silly silly people

Nice perspective....;)

PhiI C
08-17-2009, 10:21 PM
BE POLITICALLY CORRECT!!

:mad:

SintonFan
08-18-2009, 11:03 PM
Here is the link:
Link (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,539741,00.html)
What's funny is that I thought I initially read it on Yahoo but the link there is gone.
Still, I don't think folks should be arrested for praying period. Yes, no one wants their kids to be exposed to an unwanted religion(funny how that is so relevant now) but today the Christian Religion is pretty darn benevolent in my book. All Christian religions today are the among the most tolerant if just because they are the most picked on by those who practice it and those who don't.
Boog, do you deny there are areas here in the US that don't pander to terrorists or extreme Islamic views?

Ranger Mom
08-18-2009, 11:09 PM
I just think it's sad that it has come to this!!:(

SintonFan
08-18-2009, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I just think it's sad that it has come to this!!:(
What's funny is that the Washington Times broke this story...
I don't think the 1st Amendment was meant for this purpose.:( :nerd:

rockdale80
08-19-2009, 12:35 PM
Here is the link:
Link (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,539741,00.html)
What's funny is that I thought I initially read it on Yahoo but the link there is gone.
Still, I don't think folks should be arrested for praying period. Yes, no one wants their kids to be exposed to an unwanted religion(funny how that is so relevant now) but today the Christian Religion is pretty darn benevolent in my book. All Christian religions today are the among the most tolerant if just because they are the most picked on by those who practice it and those who don't.
Boog, do you deny there are areas here in the US that don't pander to terrorists or extreme Islamic views?

They werent arrested for praying. They were arrested for breaking the law. :hand:

Phantom Stang
08-19-2009, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
They werent arrested for praying. They were arrested for breaking the law. :hand:
Rosa Parks was arrested for "breaking the law".
Did that make it right?

rockdale80
08-19-2009, 01:01 PM
Rosa Parks was arrested for "breaking the law".
Did that make it right?

Great comparison....:rolleyes:

If you want to introduce your children to religion, then do it at home. Dont leave it up to the schools or someone else. I think Boog hit the nail on the head when brought up the reaction people would have if the coach was Islamic and leading an Islamic prayer repetitively. If it is okay for Christians then it should be okay for other religions too, right?

Phantom Stang
08-19-2009, 01:24 PM

if the coach was Islamic and leading an Islamic prayer repetitively. If it is okay for Christians then it should be okay for other religions too, right?
Absolutely!!:clap: And if any of the players want to join him, they should be allowed to join him without fear of persecution. By the same token, if a Christian player or assistant coach wants to lead another prayer, the Islamic coach shouldn't be allowed to stop them.

Phantom Stang
08-19-2009, 01:35 PM
oops, I almost forgot..

Great comparison....:rolleyes:

Well thankya!:D

Ranger Mom
08-19-2009, 01:41 PM
I always get confused as to what is "legal" and what isn't.

I know there are times at football games in Greenwood, during the "moment of silence" you will all the sudden hear a student led prayer booming across the field from a speaker on the nearby Baptist Church.

I believe we still have "Prayer at the pole" for any student who wants to join in at the flagpole before school starts.

I can't recall ever seeing a player leave the prayer circle after a football game when the coaches and all the players, cheerleaders, etc. gather at the center of the field and say a prayer!!

rockdale80
08-19-2009, 01:44 PM
Absolutely!!:clap: And if any of the players want to join him, they should be allowed to join him without fear of persecution. By the same token, if a Christian player or assistant coach wants to lead another prayer, the Islamic coach shouldn't be allowed to stop them.

yawn...I am willing to bet you would get your little panties in a wad if a coach led an islamic prayer to your team on a consistent basis.

rockdale80
08-19-2009, 01:46 PM
I always get confused as to what is "legal" and what isn't.

I know there are times at football games in Greenwood, during the "moment of silence" you will all the sudden hear a student led prayer booming across the field from a speaker on the nearby Baptist Church.

I believe we still have "Prayer at the pole" for any student who wants to join in at the flagpole before school starts.

I can't recall ever seeing a player leave the prayer circle after a football game when the coaches and all the players, cheerleaders, etc. gather at the center of the field and say a prayer!!

The difference is it is student led.

Ranger Mom
08-19-2009, 01:49 PM
The difference is it is student led.

Since I have never been at the middle of the field like that before....are those student led too?

rockdale80
08-19-2009, 02:01 PM
Since I have never been at the middle of the field like that before....are those student led too?

yes..coaches didnt even follow along outloud at our school. they just stood there and listened. (I am sure they did in their head but that is how to circumvent the rule) The idea is to not have children feel pressured to follow a religion they dont believe because a teacher, coach, or administrator push their religion.

Phantom Stang
08-19-2009, 02:04 PM
yawn...I am willing to bet you would get your little panties in a wad if a coach led an islamic prayer to your team on a consistent basis.
That post proves that at the end of the day, you have no more substance than any of the died in the wool Right Wing folks you argue with on here incessantly. Look back over my posts and you'll see that I'm not one of them.

rockdale80
08-19-2009, 04:25 PM
That post proves that at the end of the day, you have no more substance than any of the died in the wool Right Wing folks you argue with on here incessantly. Look back over my posts and you'll see that I'm not one of them.

Didnt say you were, but its not a party idea to me. Plenty of democrats think prayer should be allowed in school, but only their christian prayer. Sure it is prevalant on the right side, but not strictly there. I am just saying the people that think Christian prayer in school is okay are usually upset when challenged with the idea of a non-christian authority figure leading prayers to their children. Do you really think it would be only republicans that would get angry about a muslim leading daily prayers with their football team of christians? I understand you think that is fine as long as it is okay for everyone, but I dont think religion belongs in schools. The school employees knew they were crossing the line when they did it. They opted to break the law and there should be consequences. I dont like to drive below the speed limit, but I know if I do....:)

Trashman
08-19-2009, 05:17 PM
First of all it is a civil matter, not criminal. They violated a settlement that was reached with the ACLU. The arrest will be thrown out and it will go back to court as a civil lawsuit. As RM said it is sad that it has come down to this. If that guy had said an Islamic prayer there would have been 30 ACLU lawyers standing by his side protecting his right to do so.:rolleyes:

rockdale80
08-19-2009, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
First of all it is a civil matter, not criminal. They violated a settlement that was reached with the ACLU. The arrest will be thrown out and it will go back to court as a civil lawsuit. As RM said it is sad that it has come down to this. If that guy had said an Islamic prayer there would have been 30 ACLU lawyers standing by his side protecting his right to do so.:rolleyes:

If it were civil they wouldnt have been arrested. It is and was illegal.

ACLU or not, there would have been outrage on both sides which is why religion needs to be a family issue taught and handled at home and away from government sponsored activities.

SintonFan
08-19-2009, 09:22 PM

ACLU or not, there would have been outrage on both sides which is why religion needs to be a family issue taught and handled at home and away from government sponsored activities.
I really don't consider the ACLU a traditional and benevolent organization that looks out for the interest of Liberty in this great country.
I know what you are talking about but if there are schools here in the USA that pray in the Islamic religion, over the loud speakers, that don't get arrested or prosecuted, would you be OK with that?
We don't have a state religion but this nation IS STILL considered Christian because of it's own identity.:nerd:

SintonFan
08-19-2009, 09:44 PM

Pace High School Principal Frank Lay and athletic director Robert Freeman will go on trial in federal district court Sept. 17. They're accused of violating the conditions of a lawsuit settlement reached last year with the American Civil Liberties Union, according to the Times.
Is it true that this stems from an agreement between the school and the ACLU? When did the ACLU start writing and enforcing our LAWS??? Does the ACLU have enforcement powers and if not why is this going to trial? Enlighten me.:)
BTW, I believe many kids now do need some form of religion... regardless of denomination.:nerd:

rockdale80
08-19-2009, 10:10 PM

Is it true that this stems from an agreement between the school and the ACLU? When did the ACLU start writing and enforcing our LAWS??? Does the ACLU have enforcement powers and if not why is this going to trial? Enlighten me.:)
BTW, I believe many kids now do need some form of religion... regardless of denomination.:nerd:

So they broke the law? This was a court order.

If kids need religion it should be up to the parents to teach it to them and not the school. I dont care what denomination either. People are free to practice whatever they choose; it is when they infringe upon the rights of others with those convictions that I have an issue.

Trashman
08-19-2009, 10:37 PM

You can be arrested for anything. Plenty of people are arrested on daily basis that did not break the law. That is why there are trials to determine guilt.

You are right about one thing though....I don't want any idiot teacher, coach or administrator teaching my kid about religion, or morals.