PDA

View Full Version : Roscoe star finding new ways to shine

IrishTex
08-16-2009, 12:27 PM
From TexasFootball.com (http://www.texasfootball.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=33&url_article_id=2458&url_subchannel_id=&change_well_id=2)

Editor's Note: We start the 20-day countdown to the start of the Texas High School football season with our fourth-annual "20 Days 'Till Texas Football," which will name, in our estimation, the toughest district, the breakout player, the top darkhorse and the preseason MVP for all five 11-man classifications.

By Josh Davis/TexasFootball
Wait, wait, wait -- back up. Garrison Williams, the Roscoe ultra-star, is our 1A Breakout Player?

The one with four all-state selections in the past two years -- two at receiver, two at defensive back? The one who finished as the district's offensive MVP last season? The one who led a district champ and eventual area finalist in all-purpose yards per game last season? With Williams in a starring role, Roscoe has been a perennial playoff power and consistent state contender.

This actually doesn't sound like a "breakout" player at all.

I beg to differ. Were Williams staying at wide receiver -- running the same routes, catching the same passes -- I wouldn't be picking him. Even if he were just moving to full-time DB and dropping his pass-catching responsibilities, I wouldn't pick him. But he's not. He's moving ... to quarterback. And I think the results are going to be spectacular.

For years, the Plowboys have been pulled by the Villanueva twins, Jacob and Jared. One lined at QB, the other at WR, and both enjoyed defensive roles as well. Actually, Jacob was the Offensive MVP and Jared the Defensive one at the FCA Football Classic in Abilene a few months back. They're both off to McMurry now, and there's a void to be filled.

And this is where Williams comes in. His athletic talents and versatility (the team's leading returning rusher, passer, receiver, kicker and interceptor) are a perfect fit at quarterback. Roscoe threw the ball prolifically with the Villanuevas on the field, and Williams is going to chuck it around, too. But he's such a dangerous open-field runner that it'll be tempting to run some option or option read out of the shotgun. Williams opens a tantalizing number of doors for Roscoe, and coach Wes Williams said this team won't be falling off much.

So when I say breakout player, I'm not insinuating that Williams is going to be one of those guys that goes from zero to hero overnight. His past credentials make that impossible. But I am saying we might be looking at a legit 2,000-1,000 yard producer: two-grand passing and an even bill rushing. And numbers like those could push Roscoe all the way into a state semifinal.

That would be breakout indeed.