PDA

View Full Version : Cuero at la Grange 8/20 7PM

Pudlugger
08-16-2009, 10:17 AM
This should be a good test for both teams. The Leps D looked pretty good against the LH Panther rushing game, but will they be able to defense the pass against the Gobblers? I'm looking for some tough hitting by both teams Thursday night. Hope the Leps get their offense going especially the rushing game.

It will be interesting in that Cuero scrimmaged Lockhart, the Leps first opponent in week 0. The comparison might give us an idea of what to expect in that first game.

TRENCHES06
08-16-2009, 10:19 AM
Apparently, Lockhart is now a spread team.......and still working out many issues that go along with switching offenses...

44INAROW
08-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by TRENCHES06
Apparently, Lockhart is now a spread team.......and still working out many issues that go along with switching offenses...

just an observation I made last night. Lockhart's QB and center seemed to be having some communication problems or something. I bet 8 times or more the ball was either over the QB's head or the QB didn't get the snap or maybe their count was off. That's why they play scrimmages to get these things corrected but that was something I noticed.

Old Green
08-16-2009, 12:15 PM
I didn't see much speed from Lockhart. They try a sweep but didn't seem to make the corners quickly.

Pudlugger
08-16-2009, 01:02 PM
The Lions have an All State rb with 4.4 speed so I'm not so sure they can't make the corners. Maybe they need to work on the blocking schemes more as a cb in the backfield will really slow you down. Were they using the spread formation?

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger

It will be interesting in that Cuero scrimmaged Lockhart, the Leps first opponent in week 0. The comparison might give us an idea of what to expect in that first game.

Who will the leps play in pre-season? and what were thier records last year? La Grange went 2-3 last year beating Columbus and Sealy in District?

crabman
08-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Cuero's linebackers and corners were way faster than I anticipated. That sweep never had a chance. Our tackling technique was a lot better than it has been in the past this early in the season. Both lines got in some good work but still have some things to work on.

The center/quarterback combo that kept having snap difficulties was the second offense. Lockhart's QB does not have a particularly strong arm but he did not get any help from the receivers. They dropped a good half dozen passes.

Lockhart has a large but very immobile line. They will be a 2-8 or 3-7 team. Maybe.

TRENCHES06
08-16-2009, 04:06 PM
Unfortunately for that All State RB, he does not have much help. Last years offensive scheme seemed to be better for that back.

Pudlugger
08-16-2009, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
Who will the leps play in pre-season? and what were thier records last year? La Grange went 2-3 last year beating Columbus and Sealy in District?

Lockhart
Yoakum
Needville(played Hamshire Fannet last year due to Ike)
Gonzales
Goliad

Lockhart, Yoakum, Needville and Goliad went to the playoffs last year. DCTF has 4a Lockhart, Needville and Yoakum all picked to finish second in their districts this year. The Leps have a tough pre-district schedule.

Pudlugger
08-16-2009, 05:55 PM
Will the format be the usual controlled scrimmages with first and second teams and then an uncontrolled game simulation? If so, will there be 1 or 2 quarters of play? Against Liberty Hill they only had a quarter and it was too short to get a good look at the team.

Old Green
08-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Will the format be the usual controlled scrimmages with first and second teams and then an uncontrolled game simulation? If so, will there be 1 or 2 quarters of play? Against Liberty Hill they only had a quarter and it was too short to get a good look at the team. I hope they do play at least one live quarter. I'd like to see just how everyone looks in a game atmoshere.

Old Green
08-17-2009, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by crabman
Cuero's linebackers and corners were way faster than I anticipated. That sweep never had a chance. Our tackling technique was a lot better than it has been in the past this early in the season. Both lines got in some good work but still have some things to work on.

The center/quarterback combo that kept having snap difficulties was the second offense. Lockhart's QB does not have a particularly strong arm but he did not get any help from the receivers. They dropped a good half dozen passes.

Lockhart has a large but very immobile line. They will be a 2-8 or 3-7 team. Maybe. The defense did look very good. I was concerned how the DB's would be, but those 4 interceptions made me feel alright:thumbsup:

LHS 2SONS
08-17-2009, 03:12 PM
To our Cuero fans, the Booster Club will be selling hamburgers at the scrimmage, so come on over to the BBQ pit and visit

SHSBulldog00
08-17-2009, 03:27 PM
This should be a good scrimmage beween two teams that will tell a lot about what to expect during the upcoming season.

Old Green
08-17-2009, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by LHS 2SONS
To our Cuero fans, the Booster Club will be selling hamburgers at the scrimmage, so come on over to the BBQ pit and visit I'll be there:D

LH_Tuff
08-17-2009, 05:24 PM
Will the format be the usual controlled scrimmages with first and second teams and then an uncontrolled game simulation? If so, will there be 1 or 2 quarters of play? Against Liberty Hill they only had a quarter and it was too short to get a good look at the team.

The problem with the 1 qtr. against LH is that they ate up about 8 minutes of the qtr on one drive. ;) Wasn't much time for LG to do much.

44INAROW
08-17-2009, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by LH_Tuff
The problem with the 1 qtr. against LH is that they ate up about 8 minutes of the qtr on one drive. ;) Wasn't much time for LG to do much.

yep - they have that down to a fine art...........

we are trying to decide if we're coming Thurs night or not.. I'll know by Weds night.... if we do go, we will both get booster burgers

Old Green
08-17-2009, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by LH_Tuff
The problem with the 1 qtr. against LH is that they ate up about 8 minutes of the qtr on one drive. ;) Wasn't much time for LG to do much. That's an LH trademark. They'll wear you out then hit you for the homerun. LH does it the best.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Lockhart
Yoakum
Needville(played Hamshire Fannet last year due to Ike)
Gonzales
Goliad

Lockhart, Yoakum, Needville and Goliad went to the playoffs last year. DCTF has 4a Lockhart, Needville and Yoakum all picked to finish second in their districts this year. The Leps have a tough pre-district schedule.

How deep did each team make it?

Pudlugger
08-18-2009, 06:56 AM
I believe Yoakum and Lockhart went to the second round andGoliad and Needville the first IIRC.

Pudlugger
08-18-2009, 04:17 PM
I remember a few years ago Cuero came out to La Grange to scrimmage. They had a very large turnout with fans. They had cheer leaders and noisemakers for a scrimmage! That's great school spirit. I also remember Cody Wallace throwing our DTs around like rag dolls LOL. He was truly a man among boys that day. Great kid too.

Boomer
08-18-2009, 10:12 PM
I remember a few years ago Cuero came out to La Grange to scrimmage. They had a very large turnout with fans. They had cheer leaders and noisemakers for a scrimmage! That's great school spirit. I also remember Cody Wallace throwing our DTs around like rag dolls LOL. He was truly a man among boys that day. Great kid too.

No kidding! Cody was a bad dude in high school. Cuero always brings a lot of fans with them where ever they go. It doesn't matter how far they have to travel, they will be there to support their Gobblers.

Pudlugger
08-19-2009, 08:27 PM
Is the format controlled scrimmage followed by 2 quarters of simulated play?

Pudlugger
08-20-2009, 09:16 PM
This was a terrific scrimmage. The Gobblers and Leps traded scores 3-3 in the controlled scrimmage. In the game simulation quarter the Leps really came alive scoring twice on long pass plays. The Gobblers ran down the clock to score on a well executed drive culminating in a 2 yard burst into the end zone. The Leps responded in the final drive mixing it up with some good rushing plays followed by pass receptions to the 1 foot line when time ran out. Leps 2-1 with the quarter ending with the Leps threatening 3rd and goal on the one.

Wilkerson scored 3 of the Leps tds with great receptions and yards after catch. The Lep D had a great stop on 4th and one in the final Cuero possession. The Leps are looking very good right now. The Lockhart coaches were scouting us behind me and I got the feeling they were impressed. Good luck next week Leps get some Lion meat.

Pudlugger
08-20-2009, 09:47 PM
Not too many Lep posters this year I guess.:(

Old Green
08-20-2009, 10:29 PM
Great scrimmage by both teams. The Leopard Qb to #8 Wilkerson was clicking. They will be hard to defend. They exposed a weakness in the Gobbler secondary. LG's line play was great. They kept the Cuero running game a little off balance. Cuero looked good on offense. A few more reps between Arndt and his receivers will get the offense going for Cuero. Jackson left off where he was last year.

CueroDad08
08-20-2009, 10:45 PM
Cuero Looked good early. RB Jackson from Cuero looked good left after first Series. He had 3 carries and over 100 yards and a score. Look for the Leps to make a good push. Lets get ready now for the real deal. Both teams scored 4 times. Cuero 3 Td's in the 2 planned 10 play drives. And 1 time in the 12 min Q. LG scored 2 times in both there 10 min planned play drives. Both to WR #8. In there 12 min. Q the Leps scored 2 times also both to #8. So both teams put it in the end zone 4 times. Cuero was 3 for 4 on Point afters. LG was 2-4 with theres. Good work for both teams. Good luck to both teams starting next week.

LHS 2SONS
08-20-2009, 10:55 PM
Pudlugger I am here, just got home from the scrimmage, was cleaning up the Booster Club stuff. The defense started out a little slower than against Liberty Hill, but they brought it at the end. The offense definitely clicked better than last week as well. Should be a fun year, and nobody can relax in district. A very good team will not being going to the playoffs in District 25.

Cuero fans how is the running back? I hope all is well with him, he is a gamebreaker.

Old Green
08-20-2009, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by LHS 2SONS
Pudlugger I am here, just got home from the scrimmage, was cleaning up the Booster Club stuff. The defense started out a little slower than against Liberty Hill, but they brought it at the end. The offense definitely clicked better than last week as well. Should be a fun year, and nobody can relax in district. A very good team will not being going to the playoffs in District 25.

Cuero fans how is the running back? I hope all is well with him, he is a gamebreaker. Shoulder injury. They put ice on it and he was moving it. Our lineman had a knee injury. They put a brace on it and he was on crutches.

CueroDad08
08-20-2009, 11:02 PM
Cuero fans how is the running back? I hope all is well with him, he is a gamebreaker. [/B][/QUOTE]

He will be fine, A stinger
Good luck to you guys

LHS 2SONS
08-20-2009, 11:12 PM
Good to hear the injury was not bad for the rb, hope all is well with the lineman. Good Luck to ya'll as well. Class act program that you guys have.

hookandladder
08-21-2009, 06:17 AM
A very good scrimmage for both teams, Both QB's looked very shape. I would still like to see our running game get a little better, feel like in a real game that would have been the difference for Cuero. They do both very effectively, Cuero QB is definitely fun to watch would have like to seen him play baseball for Tri-County this last summer. Hopefully we will meet up with them this year in baseball, Good luck to both teams this year.

Pudlugger
08-21-2009, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by hookandladder
A very good scrimmage for both teams, Both QB's looked very shape. I would still like to see our running game get a little better, feel like in a real game that would have been the difference for Cuero. They do both very effectively, Cuero QB is definitely fun to watch would have like to seen him play baseball for Tri-County this last summer. Hopefully we will meet up with them this year in baseball, Good luck to both teams this year.

Hook, I thought the running game went well. Both backs showed real fire in the belly making up yards when caught behind the line of scrimmage. They ran the Qb draw very well gaining some real yardage up the middle. Sure they never broke one all the way but give Cuero credit for being an unusually fast defense. I believe we will see some great rushing efforts this season especially when the defenses will be keying on our WRs. The Lep offense should be able to keep the best defenses off balance. The O line seems to be improving much over the past season. Go Leps!

hookandladder
08-21-2009, 11:58 AM
Hook, I thought the running game went well. Both backs showed real fire in the belly making up yards when caught behind the line of scrimmage. They ran the Qb draw very well gaining some real yardage up the middle. Sure they never broke one all the way but give Cuero credit for being an unusually fast defense. I believe we will see some great rushing efforts this season especially when the defenses will be keying on our WRs. The Lep offense should be able to keep the best defenses off balance. The O line seems to be improving much over the past season. Go Leps!

I just like the way Cuero uses the FB in the backfield, seems like their offense has more options with the FB. Saw him come out of the backfield and make some nice catches down field. I did like that we did make some nice catches over the middle, with Brandon out wide you would think most team will double him leavijng the middle open.

Airforce1
08-21-2009, 02:01 PM
I was at the scrimmage Thursday and it was the first time I have had a chance to see the leopards this year. I watched the 9th grade and was very impressed with their offense and defense. I did not expect to see them in a run dominant offense, but they did a great job and outscored Cuero 2-0. I do not think any 9th grade team has had much success against the gobblers in the last couple of years. The JV went back and forth with LG having one good drive and Cuero putting together one good drive. Neither team scored but both showed promise. The gobbler varsity team came out strong and scored on a long run in their first 10 plays. LG moved the ball and ran out of downs around Cuero's 20 or 30 yard line. In the second set of downs for the Gobblers they scored once again. When LG had their 10 plays they had two td's. THen the live quarter started and LG outscored Cuero 2 td's to 1. LG also had another long td called back due to a penalty and they were on the Cuero's one yard line when the time ran out. Both teams looked good and bad at times, the Cuero RB got hurt on a play when he tried to punch a LG defender that was trying to tackle him. LG needs to fix some kicking woes or it will cost them in a close game. Good luck to both teams.

headhunter
08-21-2009, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by hookandladder

Arndt did play for Tri-County this past year.

Lagrange has a great team. Good size and decent speed. I like how they hit seam routes and I like that they allow their QB to throw the ball down field. This will open up the running game. Their is a lot of positives for LaGrange. I was also impressed with their defense. I thought they played with alot of intensity and tackled pretty well.

Cuero is still young, especially on the line. I would love to see them play with some intensity on the defenseive side. When you make a tackel or a sack their should be a little excitement. They MUST find some depth. Too many players going both ways. Offense looked good at times but I would like to see them stretch the field like LaGrange did. to many balls in flats. Only two passes over 15 yds. Lots of things to work on, this team needs time and they need intesity. I am impressed with the offensive line. I think mid season they will be looking great.

hookandladder
08-21-2009, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Airforce1
I was at the scrimmage Thursday and it was the first time I have had a chance to see the leopards this year. I watched the 9th grade and was very impressed with their offense and defense. I did not expect to see them in a run dominant offense, but they did a great job and outscored Cuero 2-0. I do not think any 9th grade team has had much success against the gobblers in the last couple of years. The JV went back and forth with LG having one good drive and Cuero putting together one good drive. Neither team scored but both showed promise. The gobbler varsity team came out strong and scored on a long run in their first 10 plays. LG moved the ball and ran out of downs around Cuero's 20 or 30 yard line. In the second set of downs for the Gobblers they scored once again. When LG had their 10 plays they had two td's. THen the live quarter started and LG outscored Cuero 2 td's to 1. LG also had another long td called back due to a penalty and they were on the Cuero's one yard line when the time ran out. Both teams looked good and bad at times, the Cuero RB got hurt on a play when he tried to punch a LG defender that was trying to tackle him. LG needs to fix some kicking woes or it will cost them in a close game. Good luck to both teams.

The 9th grade team ran the spread when they were in 7th grade, they had pretty good sucess however our HC decided last year to have the JV and JH start running the ram offense. That is what my son calls it, the spread was definitely more fun for the kids but sometimes you have to do what's best for the team.

Pudlugger
08-21-2009, 05:12 PM
Hook, do you think Coach is going to move to the slot T formation next season? The frosh and jv were running it last night. If you were planning to change to another formation you would first teach it to the youngsters right?