PDA

View Full Version : Port Isabel vs Brownsville Pace 8/15

footballgal
08-16-2009, 01:11 AM
Scrimmage Roundup
Comments 2 | Recommend 0
August 15, 2009 3:19 PM
RGVSports.com
(Check back throughout the day for updates)
http://images.onset.freedom.com/rgvsports/medium/kofubg-kofu9rwebpipace.jpg
Chris Trejo/The Brownsville Herald
A Pace player attempts to tackle a Port Isabel player (QB Kyle DeMoss) during their scrimmage Saturday in Port Isabel.

The Port Isabel Tarpons and Pace Vikings got to do something they’ve been itching to do for quite some time: hit someone else.

Both teams struggled offensively, but the Tarpons did just enough — including scoring on defense when Laurence Gonzalez walked into the end zone after picking up a fumble from Pace QB Rodrigo Tostado — as Port Isabel won 13-6 on Saturday at Tarpon Stadium.

"I thought we got after it pretty good," Port Isabel coach Monty Stumbaugh said. "Overall I thought we did good. In the controlled part I thought we were sluggish, but in the game situation we kind of got lucky and scooped up the fumble. Pace is a good team, and that’s why we scheduled them. I wanted to see how the team would react when they got hit in the mouth, and hopefully we can get better next time."

All of the scoring came during the first of the two quarters, including a nice drive by Port Isabel as it marched 70 yards down the field with its quartet of running backs.

Joe Vega, Julio Mendoza, C.J. Barrera and Noe Hernandez all contributed effectively with consistent 4- and 5-yard gains against a speedy Vikings defense. Hernandez capped the drive with a 3-yard touchdown run to put the Tarpons on top.

"After that drive, it really got us going defensively," Stumbaugh said. "We only have 33 kids and momentum is a crazy thing in football, and we’re going to have kids going both ways so we have to keep the adrenaline going."

Both teams had fumbles, but the one that stung the most was on an option as Tostado rolled out and lost the handle, allowing Gonzalez to pick up the ball and stroll in for an easy score.

"We wanted to get the kids on film and see where we need to make our adjustments," Pace coach Rene Medrano said. "We saw some things we liked out of them but as also saw some things we can’t do whatsoever. We just can’t turn over the ball like that down there in those situations. Overall, though, I thought it was a really good scrimmage."

Medrano added there weren’t individual standouts defensively, but said the entire unit performed well and it is something to build on as the season approaches.

"It was just a good group effort," Medrano said. "I thought the defense did a really good job out there. We gave them a cheap score (on offense) but overall the entire defense did well out there. They were flying to the ball."

Senior Mike Trejo was part of the solid defensive effort and said eventually both sides will click for the Vikings.

"It was pretty good today," Trejo said. "The defense was good and the offense just needs to get on its horse a little, but it felt good to be out there and hit somebody else."
http://www.rgvsports.com/articles/bodytext-4775-class-roundup.html

http://www.956sportsforum.com/picture.php?albumid=76&pictureid=439

IMHO, Tarpons overall had a good scrimmage. I was pleased to see the hustle shown out there, especially by the defense. It appeared to me they are ahead from this same time last year. Another welcome sight, was that I actually saw a visable leader both on offense and defense!

I was very surprised though to see the low numbers of players, and reading the article it noted Tarpons having only 33 players on Varsity. But, it was good to see that after the scrimmage, the Tarpons were doing some running. IMO, this will sure help them to get conditioned, as there will be some players going both ways.

SintonFan_inAustin
08-16-2009, 02:47 PM
IMO its going to be between Raymondville and Port Isabel for the district title and battle between Lyford and Rio Hondo for the 3rd spot.

footballgal
08-16-2009, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Nfcfan ...

Some PI highlights.

http://s331.photobucket.com/albums/l474/nfcfan/?action=view&current=6f320d42.pbr

can also be viewed at TarponFever.net

:cool:

footballgal
08-16-2009, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
IMO its going to be between Raymondville and Port Isabel for the district title and battle between Lyford and Rio Hondo for the 3rd spot.

It will be a tough district once again, and every team will have to bring there A game come Friday Night.