PDA

View Full Version : To the spoiled "Under 30" crowd

Ranger Mom
08-14-2009, 05:07 PM
Thanks Roger!!:kiss:

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking Twenty-five miles to school every morning.... Uphill... barefoot... BOTH ways Yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on my kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But now that... I'm over the ripe old age of thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today.

You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a damn Utopia!

And I hate to say it, but you kids today, you don't know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the damn library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalogue!!

There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter - with a pen!

Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take, like, a week to get there! Stamps were 10 cents!

Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our ass! Nowhere was safe!

There were no MP3' s or Napsters! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the damn record store and shoplift it yourself!

Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up! There were no CD players! We had tape decks in our car. We'd play our favorite tape and "eject" it when finished and the tape would come undone. Cause - that's how we rolled, dig?

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it!

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either!
When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mom, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroids'. Your guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen... forever!
And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your ass and walk over to the TV to change the channel! NO REMOTES!!!

There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-bastards!

And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up we had to use the stove! Imagine that!

That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled. You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980 or before!

Regards,
The Over 30 Crowd

crzyjournalist03
08-14-2009, 05:14 PM
Most people that I know that are in their 40s had either a TV remote or microwave during their childhood...I think those are slight exaggerations...but I'm 23, and I remember most of things that are listed.

IrishTex
08-14-2009, 05:53 PM
The Generation Y (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Y) people::

The term
The term Generation Y first appeared in an August 1993 Ad Age editorial to describe those teenagers born between 1977 and 1978 (now usually considered a part of Generation X). [10] "Generation Y" alludes to a succession from "Generation X".

The name "Echo Boomers"[2] relates to the size of the generation and its relation to the Baby boomer generation. In the United States the actual "Echo Boom" was a five year span between 1989 and 1994 when for the first time since 1964, the number of live births reached over four million. It wouldn’t be until 1985 that the live birth number would even match that of 1965 at 3.760 million. Also it should be noted that the birthrate of 1971’s 17.2% has yet to be reached according to the 2000 census. [11]

One analysis of American demographics locates the increase in births between 1979 and 1994. By this calculation there are 60 million members of the generation, more than three times the size of Generation X, and just shy of the 72 million baby boomers.[9]

As this generation came of age during the 1990s, during the Digital Revolution, terms such as "Net Generation" and "First Digitals" are sometimes used to describe Gen Y (as opposed to "digital natives" for Generation Z). In Australia, Generation Y has been given the nickname "Job Snobs".[citation needed]

[edit] Howe and Strauss: "The Millennials"
Authors William Strauss and Neil Howe have been influential in defining American generations in their book Generations: The History of America's Future, 1584 to 2069 (1991). Howe and Strauss maintain that they use the term "Millennials" in place of "Generation Y" because the members of the generation themselves coined the term, not wanting to be associated with Generation X. Almost a decade later, they followed up their large study of the history of American demographics with a new book specifically on that generation, titled Millennials Rising: The Next Great Generation (2000). [5][12][13]

In their books Generations (1991) and Millennials Rising: The Next Great Generation (2000), William Strauss and Neil Howe use the start year as 1982 and end year of the generation as 2001. They believe that the coming of age of year 2000 high school graduates sharply contrasts with those born before them and after them due to the attention they received from the media and what influenced them politically. [5][14]

[edit] Defined demographically
Generation Y is the generation following Generation X, especially people born between 1983 to 1992[4]. People born in the early 1990s are also included, but have some characteristics of digital natives.[15] The generation is defined as the children of the Baby Boomer generation.

[edit] Defined sociologically
Generation Y, like other generations, has been shaped by the events, leaders, developments and trends of its time.[16] The rise of instant communication technologies made possible through use of the internet, such as email, texting, and IM and new media used through websites like YouTube and social networking sites like Facebook, Myspace, and Twitter, may explain Generation Y's reputation for being peer-oriented and for seeking instant gratification. This trend of communication is continuing into Generation Z.

This generation is also sometimes referred to as the Peter Pan Generation because of their possible penchant for delaying some of the rites of passage into adulthood longer than most generations before them. Those a part of Generation Y have pushed the acceptable boundaries for full adulthood from their mid 20's to early 30's. One can expect Generation Y to live at home, remain with a family or children, and delay a full career longer than any generation before them.

[edit] Notable Pop Culture
Generation Y is known for bringing the indie music scene into widespread popularity.

Britney Spears is seen publicly as the female pop icon of Generation Y[who?][17][18][19][20], due to her enormous music career success and pop culture impact from the late 1990s to late 2000s.

Alternative music, while credited with Generation X, is equally popular among Generation Y. Pop punk bands such as Green Day, The Red Hot Chili Peppers and The Offspring are legendary icons to many Gen Yers, many who have followed them since their initial success in the 1990s. Also popular among Gen Yers are famous Gen X bands such as Nirvana, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains.

One genre of alternative, emo, became popular in the early 2000s and is especially connected to the later part of Gen Y, born in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Also, even though its origins were still in Gen X, grunge is still the underground of society. Underground local bands, and fanzines are the new generation of grunge staying true to their roots.

Literature of the 1990s and 2000s popular with Gen Y include Harry Potter, Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul and Goosebumps, to name a few.

[edit] Gen Y and digital technology
In their 2007 book, Junco and Mastrodicasa expanded on the work of Howe and Strauss to include research-based information about the personality profiles of Millennials, especially as it relates to higher education. They conducted a large-sample (7,705) research study of college students. They found that Net.Generation college students were frequently in touch with their parents and they used technology at higher rates than people from other generations. In their survey, they found that 97% of students owned a computer, 94% owned a cell phone, and 56% owned an MP3 player (iPod, Zune, Sansa, etc.). They also found that students spoke with their parents an average of 1.5 times a day about a wide range of topics.[21] Other findings in the Junco and Mastrodicasa survey included that 76% of students used instant messaging, 92% of those reported multitasking while IMing, and 40% of students used television to get most of their news and 34% the Internet.

56% reported downloading music using peer-to-peer file sharing (15% reported downloading movies and 16% reported downloading software). 69% of students reported having a Facebook account, typically logging in twice a day.

In June 2009, Nielsen released the report, "How Teens Use Media" which discussed the latest data on media usage by generation. In this report, Nielsen set out to redefine the dialogue around media usage by the youngest of Gen Y, extending through working age Gen Y and compared to Gen X and Boomers.[22]

[edit] Generation Y in the workforce
The Millennials are sometimes called the "Trophy Generation", or "Trophy Kids,"[23] a term that reflects the trend in competitive sports, as well as many other aspects of life, where "no one loses" and everyone gets a "Thanks for Participating" trophy and symbolizing a perceived sense of entitlement. It has been reported that this is an issue in corporate environments."[23] Some employers are concerned that Millennials have too great expectations from the workplace and desire to shape their jobs to fit their lives rather than adapt their lives to the workplace.[24] To better understand this mindset, many large firms are currently studying this conflict and are trying to devise new programs to help older employees understand Millennials, while at the same time making Millennials more comfortable. For example, Goldman Sachs conducts training programs that use actors to portray Millennials who assertively seek more feedback, responsibility, and involvement in decision making. After the performance, employees discuss and debate the generational differences they have seen played out"[23]

There are three (suggested) core elements that drive the ambitions of Generation Y in the workplace[25] :

Impact--Making a difference is a strong motivational force behind Gen Y's efforts. Though salary and benefits continue to dominate the no. 1 and 2 on the importance list, making an impact ranks no 3.

Communication--The instant communication framework Gen Y developed through extensive computer usage has led to a need for more professional feedback than that of past generations.[26] Communication platforms such as SMS, e-mail, video chat, and blogging have engendered a mindset that necessitates constant communication with others. That mindset has carried over into the workplace.

Flexibility--The divide between work and life is continually growing narrower as more people shift from the bricks-and-mortar to a remote workplace. The rate of remote office workers has increased significantly in the past two years.[27]

SintonFan
08-14-2009, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking Twenty-five miles to school every morning.... Uphill... barefoot... BOTH ways Yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on my kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But now that... I'm over the ripe old age of thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today.

You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a damn Utopia!

And I hate to say it, but you kids today, you don't know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the damn library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalogue!!

Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take, like, a week to get there! Stamps were 10 cents!

Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our ass! Nowhere was safe!

There were no MP3' s or Napsters! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the damn record store and shoplift it yourself!

Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up! There were no CD players! We had tape decks in our car. We'd play our favorite tape and "eject" it when finished and the tape would come undone. Cause - that's how we rolled, dig?

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it!

When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mom, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroids'. Your guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen... forever!
And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your ass and walk over to the TV to change the channel! NO REMOTES!!!

There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-bastards!

And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up we had to use the stove! Imagine that!

That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled. You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980 or before!

Regards,
The Over 30 Crowd
ROTFLMAO!!!
I almost sharted myself laughing so hard!
I'm gonna print this out for my "live in partner" who just happens to still be married to me(and opposite SEX mind you) raising these spoiled kids!:eek: :D
SHE loves this stuff too! :clap: :inlove:

LH Panther Mom
08-15-2009, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Most people that I know that are in their 40s had either a TV remote or microwave during their childhood...I think those are slight exaggerations...but I'm 23, and I remember most of things that are listed.
We had neither. :p The great technology in our house was the rabbit ears with foil for the 3 channels (plus the UHF...or was it VHF :thinking: one later).

Excellent, RM! :clap: :D

Pick6
08-15-2009, 08:05 AM

I'm 40 and didn't have either one until I moved out on my own. The 1st remote that I remember seeing wasn't even wireless.

PhiI C
08-15-2009, 08:50 AM
Remember also that they didn't get to enjoy great movies like Hey Boy Hey Girl and Samson and the Slave Queen.

Trashman
08-15-2009, 08:52 AM

Regards,
The Over 30 Crowd

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ranger Mom
08-15-2009, 09:30 AM

I am 45 and we got a microwave when I was 17...and that was only because we built a house and my mother insisted she have one...it was HUGE!!!

Our "remote control" was me, my brother and my sister. I can't even remember when I had my first remote...I was married by that time.

I remember my first VCR had the knob where I could change channels...all the way up to channel 13!!:)

turbostud
08-15-2009, 04:27 PM
And school administrators and teachers werent afraid to paddle my butt. I got whacked a few times and all my parents said was "good".

lulu
08-16-2009, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
And school administrators and teachers werent afraid to paddle my butt. I got whacked a few times and all my parents said was "good".

I sure as,,,,,,got my butt torn up if needed at school and then again when I got home. Could not hide...you were gonna get it and you better tell it when you got home cause if Momma found out from someone else....man alive. It also didn't help that my Principle was also our Preacher.

LH Panther Mom
08-16-2009, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by lulu
I sure as,,,,,,got my butt torn up if needed at school and then again when I got home. Could not hide...you were gonna get it and you better tell it when you got home cause if Momma found out from someone else....man alive. It also didn't help that my Principle was also our Preacher.
Both my parents were at the school (teacher/coach)...they always knew before we had a chance to tell them! I only got in trouble once. My youngest brother on the other hand.... :eek: :eek: :D :doh: :doh:

Farmersfan
08-17-2009, 08:18 AM

Regards,
The Over 30 Crowd

Great Post! You hit on all the great differences in the times. But even with all these so-called advantages i would not trade my teenage years for these today. Would you?
We didn't have but 2 or 3 TV channels to watch but when we watched we really enjoyed. And those sat cartoons were on EARLY saturday. Most kids today would never see them because they don't get out of bed until noon on the weekends. We had to travel 60 miles to Lubbock to go to a theater so when it happened we really appreciated it. And I can't tell you how many great memories I have cruising the drag in my 69 Cutlass listening to KOMA (out of Oklahoma City) on the radio or jamming to Frampton or some other great performer. We got a Atari console I think in 78' and me and my friend were more addicted to that peice of crap than any of my kids were addicted to their 80GB IBoxes or Playstations that are capable of controlling a space shuttle launch. It seems to me the more we have, the less we appreciate it and the more we want. I can see how my Mom's generation also wouldn't trade their childhood for mine. There is something to be said for innocence!

lulu
08-17-2009, 10:23 AM
The innocence of our day will never be seen again and I miss it. As kids we were free to roam and explore and not under constant scrutiny(sp?).
Heck we didn't see the inside of the house if the weather permitted us to be outside. Mom brought our lunch to the shade tree ..we left the cups and plates there when we finished and were off again.

Church on Sun. and most time Wed. Sports on Fri. sometime Sat.
It was fun. Would not trade it for all the electronics in the world.

Farmersfan
08-17-2009, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by lulu
The innocence of our day will never be seen again and I miss it. As kids we were free to roam and explore and not under constant scrutiny(sp?).
Heck we didn't see the inside of the house if the weather permitted us to be outside. Mom brought our lunch to the shade tree ..we left the cups and plates there when we finished and were off again.

Church on Sun. and most time Wed. Sports on Fri. sometime Sat.
It was fun. Would not trade it for all the electronics in the world.

As a Jr High kid my friends and I would leave early sat morning and walk for miles out into the hills/canyons in search of adventure. We found caves, rivers and hidden lakes that we never knew existed. We would take our 22 rifles and shoot rabbits or bull frogs to cook for lunch or catch some fish. We drank out the rivers or ponds and never got sick from it. We would fight all the time and then become best friends again. When I wasn't doing that I was pulling my lawn mower behind my 5 speed bike around town asking to mow peoples football field sized lawn for 4 bucks!!!! :D :D
Everytime I told my boys to get their butts outside they whined about how hot it was or that there is nothing to do. All their friends came over to the house and begged for us to order pizza. It is a very different world these days.

BobcatBenny
08-17-2009, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
... All their friends came over to the house and begged for us to order pizza. It is a very different world these days.
Yes it is. Because when I was a kid ... there wasn't pizza in Texas! :eek:

lulu
08-17-2009, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
Yes it is. Because when I was a kid ... there wasn't pizza in Texas! :eek:

DITTO Are we telling our age?:eek:

Ranger Mom
08-17-2009, 02:50 PM
When I went to my son's in Lake Palestine last weekend we went down "Ranger Hill" on I-20.

Any of you that have been on that stretch of hwy knows how steep that is.

When my cousin and I were around 12 or 13.....we rode our bikes, on the shoulder of I-20, down Ranger Hill.

If we would have taken a spill we would have been dead!!!

What really sucked was having to push our bikes back up it. We were gone ALL day, but our parents never looked for us.

We didn't tell them where we went....I guess even we knew that we would have gotten in lots of trouble had they known.

I didn't break down and tell my mom til I was well into my 30's!! She still scares me!!:p

lulu
08-17-2009, 03:10 PM
When I went to my son's in Lake Palestine last weekend we went down "Ranger Hill" on I-20.

Any of you that have been on that stretch of hwy knows how steep that is.

When my cousin and I were around 12 or 13.....we rode our bikes, on the shoulder of I-20, down Ranger Hill.

If we would have taken a spill we would have been dead!!!

What really sucked was having to push our bikes back up it. We were gone ALL day, but our parents never looked for us.

We didn't tell them where we went....I guess even we knew that we would have gotten in lots of trouble had they known.

I didn't break down and tell my mom til I was well into my 30's!! She still scares me!!:p

My kids are just now coming out with things they got by with. I think it was best I did not know. They are 37 and 40 and I still think about beating their BUTTS when I hear it.