PDA

View Full Version : poison Ivy

Farmersfan
08-14-2009, 02:48 PM
At some point in the last week or so I encountered the scourge of the universe. I got poison Ivy. Arms, Legs, Chest, and even forehead. My testicles are the size of billard balls. Fortunately I didn't get Poison Ivy on them!!!:D :D I just started the steroid pills that I have to take for 9 days. All the areas that are infected are manageable except 1. I got it BAD between by fingers on my left hand and it is driving me crazy. No amount of Calimine or other medication seems to help. Any ideas?

BreckTxLonghorn
08-14-2009, 02:50 PM
Bathing in tomato sauce seems to ring a bell?

Maybe that's for skunks...I swear I used to know like 8 homemade remedies. Will try to remember them.

crzyjournalist03
08-14-2009, 03:03 PM
I'm one of the lucky few out there who is not allergic to poison ivy. I discovered that by rolling around in it as a kid until someone yelled at me and told me what it was. I never came down with anything, so in later encounters with it, I wasn't worried about it, and I've never had it.

I do remember my sister coming down with it though, and my parents gave her baking soda baths. She said that helped.

IrishTex
08-14-2009, 03:15 PM
Treating Poison Ivy Exposures
If you are exposed, according to the FDA, you should quickly (within 10 minutes):
•first, cleanse exposed areas with rubbing alcohol.
•next, wash the exposed areas with water only (no soap yet, since soap can move the urushiol, which is the oil from the poison ivy that triggers the rash, around your body and actually make the reaction worse).
•now, take a shower with soap and warm water.
•lastly, put gloves on and wipe everything you had with you, including shoes, tools, and your clothes, with rubbing alcohol and water.
Unfortunately, if you wait more than 10 minutes, the urushiol will likely stay on your skin and trigger the poison ivy rash. You may not be able to stop it on your skin, but you might still scrub your nails and wipe off your shoes, etc., so that you don't spread the urushiol to new areas.
Commercial products, like Zanfel, Ivy Cleanse Towelettes, and Tecnu Extreme Poison Ivy Scrub, are also available over-the-counter, if you don't want to use rubbing alcohol.

Remember that poison ivy isn't contagious though, so touching the rash won't actually spread it.

Source (http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/conditions/a/poison_ivy.htm)

My testicles are the size of billard balls. Fortunately I didn't get Poison Ivy on them!!!

:fnypost: :fnypost: :fnypost:

Ranger Mom
08-14-2009, 03:29 PM
I have heard straight Colox bleach will take away the itching.

Heck...it might take away the entire appendage too!!:thinking:

waterboy
08-14-2009, 03:43 PM
.......or you could just cut off the affected hand.:D :devil:

Trashman
08-16-2009, 09:54 AM
I got into some poison ivy last week while conduction an inspection of a landfill. Got it on my right arm and chest. The only relief I could get was by soaking a cotton ball in alcohol and then rubbing it over the affected area. That took care of the itch and it seemed to heal faster. The burning from the alcohol was better than the itching. Hope this helps, and as always; consult a Doctor before taking any medical advice from friends on the internet.:D

lulu
08-16-2009, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
.......or you could just cut off the affected hand.:D :devil:

that' what I did.

lulu
08-16-2009, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
At some point in the last week or so I encountered the scourge of the universe. I got poison Ivy. Arms, Legs, Chest, and even forehead. My testicles are the size of billard balls. Fortunately I didn't get Poison Ivy on them!!!:D :D I just started the steroid pills that I have to take for 9 days. All the areas that are infected are manageable except 1. I got it BAD between by fingers on my left hand and it is driving me crazy. No amount of Calimine or other medication seems to help. Any ideas?

Try aloe vera gel with lidocaine. Soothing and stops the itch pretty quick.
You can use it as often as you need.

lulu
08-17-2009, 11:25 AM
How is the rash?

Farmersfan
08-17-2009, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by lulu
How is the rash?

Much better today. Thanks. I went to the Dr. and he gave me the series of roids to take for 9 days. I also bought some stuff called IvyDry from the drug store and it seems to dry it out really quickly. The bad spot was between by fingers on my left hand. Dang that was irritating. I had big blisters between all 4 fingers and they would rub everytime I did anything. I am scheduled for another 5 days 4 nights RVing on Lake Texoma this week and weekend and sure didn't want to have to deal with this poison Ivy. It looks like it will be pretty much gone by then. Thanks everyone!