PDA

View Full Version : Edna Cowboys

Cowboy_Up
08-14-2009, 07:01 AM
Below is Victoria Advocate's review of the Edna Cowboys football team. Not a whole lot of info here, but I will say this. The difference in organization, attitude and effort in early season practice between this year and last year is night and day. The Cowboys are getting after it. Senior Kam Jones looks great. He's bigger, faster, and stronger. Junior RB/DB Irvin Yates (some may recognize that name as his father was an outstanding running back a generation ago in Victoria) is a beast. First team all-district MLB as a So, Nick Morrow is looking very stout and confident. Edna’s line play was not good last year, but some new coaches, including Josh Lovelady who spent 4 years in the NFL as an O-lineman have been coaching them up. Our technique looks to be vastly improved. Edna has the size and speed to compete in D28.

Biggest question mark I see is numbers. Edna is playing with 2A numbers and just doesn't have the depth that a larger school would have. I look for the cowboys to turn a few heads this year.

Victoria advocate Aug 14
By Jack Molitor
EDNA - Head coach Mike Pierce paces the practice field and watches his Cowboys run wind sprints. It's late, the field is dimly lit and the players are tired. But they continue pushing with one word on their minds. Playoffs.

After tying for first in District 28-2A with a 9-2 record in 2007, the Edna Cowboys struggled through District 28-3A in 2008 and finished with a 3-7 record. So Pierce and his staff have been using the goal of returning to playoff football to motivate the players through summer practices. He said he's been impressed with their effort and excitement.

"Our practices have been going really well," he said. "Our kids have worked hard and have a lot of enthusiasm. We've still got a long way to go in being consistent, but we're blocking and tackling a lot better.

"That's any team's goal in Texas high school football, getting to the playoffs. If you have a chance to get to the state playoffs, anything can happen. Of course our district is so strong, but that means that if you can get out of it, you have a good chance to advance."

Pierce said getting back to the playoffs is a realistic goal, and even unseating Cuero as district champions is a possibility. A healthy Kam Jones gives him that confidence. Jones, the Cowboys' quarterback, was not 100 percent at the beginning of last year according to Pierce, but after injury-free basketball, baseball and track seasons, Jones is ready to go for his senior year.

"My goals are like everyone else, to make the playoffs, but I also want to stay injury-free," he said. "I've been hurt the last few years so basically I want some redemption."

Jones also wants to attract a Division I scholarship. He said he was looking into a few schools including Baylor, Rice, Texas Christian and Houston, but that he was still in the early stages of recruitment.

"I want to graduate and just hopefully get a Division-I scholarship, and go from there," he said.

Jones said he was feeling good about the Cowboys' offense, especially with the receiving corps. After problems with drops and disorganization a year ago, he said the receivers are more sure-handed and have improved their route-running.

On defense, senior Colten Clay and junior Nick Morrow will anchor the interior linebackers. Clay said the defense looks the best it has since he's been playing.

"We've come along very well, we're looking good," he said. "It's my senior season, and us guys who have been together for a few years, we're like family now. And we're craving the playoffs and winning."

Morrow said the team's intensity during the first few practices has him excited about the season.

"Our team chemistry is building each and every day," Morrow said. "You can feel it. It's just a lot better practice than what we've been having.

"Some people have been doubting our team for a while, and we just want to show them that we still have the tradition going on here in Edna."

The Cowboys' start the season with home scrimmages on Saturday and Thursday against Boling and St. Joseph respectively. Their first regular season game will be at 7:30 p.m. on Aug. 28 at Hallettsville.

44INAROW
08-14-2009, 07:29 AM
dang, you beat me, I was getting ready to post the article ;)
I've seen Edna's QB in action and he is fun to watch. I agree, Edna should turn some heads this season.....

Footballhudini
08-14-2009, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Cowboy_Up
even unseating Cuero as district champions is a possibility.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

pirate4state
08-14-2009, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
dang, you beat me, I was getting ready to post the article ;)
I've seen Edna's QB in action and he is fun to watch. I agree, Edna should turn some heads this season.....

They are my sleeper pick. DCTF is predicting they finish 4th and out of the playoffs and I say they finish 3rd with an "upset" victory over Goliad and/or Gonzales!

Cowboy_Up
08-14-2009, 11:35 AM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting how the reporter came up with that, yet no one was quoted.
Oh well, everyone knows who rules D28, but that doesn't mean the kids just automatically chalk up loses. If your a competitor, you go into every contest with a desire to win. Making it a goal to compete for a district title is what everyone is doing right now...no?

44INAROW
08-14-2009, 11:58 AM
quote:

Oh well, everyone knows who rules D28, but that doesn't mean the kids just automatically chalk up loses. If your a competitor, you go into every contest with a desire to win. Making it a goal to compete for a district title is what everyone is doing right now...no?
I agree 100% - Like I said - I think Edna is going to make some noise this season! I don't usually make predictions, but I'll throw this out just for grins
Cuero
Yoakum
Edna

I'll revisit the order after a few games :)

Old Green
08-14-2009, 01:35 PM
quote:

Oh well, everyone knows who rules D28, but that doesn't mean the kids just automatically chalk up loses. If your a competitor, you go into every contest with a desire to win. Making it a goal to compete for a district title is what everyone is doing right now...no? :ditto: :iagree: Edna and Yoakum have the most starters back at the skill positions. Cuero Needs to an offensive and defensive line. D28 is going to be a dogfight.