PDA

View Full Version : Vick is an Eagle!!

IrishTex
08-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Just signed a 2 year deal!

Michael Vick has signed a two-year deal with the Eagles. His agent, Joel Segal, confirmed to ESPN.com.

More details to come.

Darn it!!

IrishTex
08-13-2009, 07:47 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0519/nfl_g_mvick_576.jpg

Chris Mortensen
ESPN.com
Archive
Quarterback Michael Vick has signed a two-year deal with the Philadelphia Eagles, his agent, Joel Segal, confirmed to ESPN.com.

Vick was the No. 1 draft pick in 2001, and once the highest-paid player in football. But he has not played since 2006 when his career came tumbling down. He was convicted in August 2007 of conspiracy and running a dogfighting operation, sentenced to 23 months in federal prison and suspended indefinitely by the NFL.

But after serving his time and being released from home confinement July 20, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell conditionally lifted Vick's suspension, allowing him to sign with a team.

turbostud
08-13-2009, 08:04 PM
Any comments Keith7?

Bull Butter
08-13-2009, 08:17 PM
ESPN will now change their name to the Eagle Sports Programming Network:)

Bull Butter
08-13-2009, 08:21 PM
Vick is an Eagle............Hide your Beagle!

IrishTex
08-13-2009, 08:21 PM
http://image.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/Michael_Vick_dogs_fighting.jpg

I have a few things to say here.

I don't claim to be perfect by any stretch of the imagination.

Have I ever made dogs fight and kill each other? No.
Have i ever held a dog under water until he drowned? No
Have I ever struck a defensless animal for not fighting? No.

As a life-long Cowboys fan...I have seen or listened to every Cowboys game in history..and consequently, have been pretty familiar with the Philidelphia Eagle..
And this to me is the lowest of the low for them.
Say what you want about Jerry..but Jeffery Lurie is the worst of the worst now for signing Michael Vick.

I hereby declare I will start a group (from my blog of course) of fans to demonstrate against Michael vick when he and the rest of the Buzzards come to Cowboys Stadium this year.

Someone needs to stand up and protect defensless dogs...we will do that.

Bad luck is hereby declared on the Philadlphia Eagles for sinking so low as to sign this low-life.

turbostud
08-13-2009, 08:28 PM
Dan Snyder???:confused:

Gsquared
08-13-2009, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by IrishTex
http://image.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/Michael_Vick_dogs_fighting.jpg

As a life-long Cowboys fan...I have seen or listened to every Cowboys game in history..and consequently, have been pretty familiar with the Philidelphia Eagle..
Say what you want about Jerry..but little Danny Snyder is the worst of the worst now for signing Michael Vick.

I hereby declare I will start a group (from my blog of course) of fans to demonstrate against Michael vick when he and the rest of the Buzzards come to Cowboys Stadium this year.

Bad luck is hereby declared on the Philadlphia Eagles for sinking so low as to sign this low-life.
Danny Snyder is the owner of the Redskins. Vick signed with Phili

SintonFan_inAustin
08-13-2009, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
Any comments Keith7? any comments from McNabb on the Vick signing?

Bull Butter
08-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Jeffrey Lurie owns the Eagles. He (along with Andy Reid) ran Terrell Owens out of town a lot quicker than Jerry did.

IrishTex
08-13-2009, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
Jeffrey Lurie owns the Eagles. He (along with Andy Reid) ran Terrell Owens out of town a lot quicker than Jerry did.

My mistake..Jeffrie Lurie...I hope bad luck follows you the rest of your days on earth...

Thanks for the clarification. I'm so mad i can't even think straight.

forum_guy
08-13-2009, 08:48 PM
My mistake..Jeffrie Lurie...I hope bad luck follows you the rest of your days on earth...

Thanks for the clarification. I'm so mad i can't even think straight.

as a cowboys fan i would be mad too..you must have just realized they will finish 3rd in the division

IrishTex
08-13-2009, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by forum_guy
as a cowboys fan i would be mad too..you must have just realized they will finish 3rd in the division

Suddenly, where the Cowboys finish is of small consequence compared to the suffering of defensless animals that were tortured.

:o

Txbroadcaster
08-13-2009, 08:54 PM

Say what you want about Jerry..but Jeffery Lurie is the worst of the worst now for signing Michael Vick.

He served his time, did his punishment.

IrishTex
08-13-2009, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

Yes, he did. Now, he will go back in to the mainstream of life, make tons of money, and the suffering of defensless animals will be an after thought..(hopefully).

What about the pain of a dog gripping another's throat in a kill or be killed scenerio because Vick and his buddies thought that was cute and even tried to make money off of that pain..what say you on that?

Txbroadcaster
08-13-2009, 08:59 PM
Yes, he did. Now, he will go back in to the mainstream of life, make tons of money, and the suffering of defensless animals will be an after thought..(hopefully).

What about the pain of a dog gripping another's throat in a kill or be killed scenerio because Vick and his buddies thought that was cute and even tried to make money off of that pain..what say you on that?

again I say

he served his time and did his punishment..and anyone on this board who has been to our house knows we LOVE animals..have 5 cats and 2 dogs

But when it comes down to it, he served his time for the crime and did his punishment.

He in now free to pursue his career, if any team was willing to sign him and one was.

turbostud
08-13-2009, 09:00 PM

I agree.

HEMOTOXIC
08-13-2009, 09:02 PM
Get over it!! Vick did his time. If everyone would stop pretending to be GOD by judging everyone, everything that is said, etc, the world would be a much better place. As I have stated before, Yes, Vick got what he deserved by going to prison. I know many of you could care less what happens to Vick when it comes to his welfare and that of his family. And, Im sure that Vick doesn't care what you think. Bottom line, Vick must provide for himself and his family. To be honest, Im not sure if most people are mad of what he did or the fact that he is getting paid millions after the fact. IMO, most hate to see him getting paid the amount of money that he will get. If he had been any average Joe, would anyone complain about him trying to seal his criminal record so that he may get a job a McDonalds, Wal-Mart, etc? I think not.

Ranger Mom
08-13-2009, 09:07 PM

As much at that whole dog fighting ordeal sickened me...I have to agree!!

HEMOTOXIC
08-13-2009, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
As much at that whole dog fighting ordeal sickened me...I have to agree!!

Ditto!

navscanmaster
08-13-2009, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by HEMOTOXIC
Ditto!
You are right, but in a perfect world (LMAO) he would be conditionally allowed back with stipulations by Roger Goodell that he be pee-tested every week for two years, and that he cannot make more than $500,000 per year. THAT IS PLENTY. I would pee in a cup every hour for FIVE years if you gave me a half-mil a year!

Txbroadcaster
08-13-2009, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
You are right, but in a perfect world (LMAO) he would be conditionally allowed back with stipulations by Roger Goodell that he be pee-tested every week for two years, and that he cannot make more than $500,000 per year. THAT IS PLENTY. I would pee in a cup every hour for FIVE years if you gave me a half-mil a year!

so a convict should only be allowed to make a certain amount?

coach
08-13-2009, 10:28 PM

post of the year so far...bravo....:clap:

Dogs_21
08-13-2009, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
I agree.

I agree also..

RedWhiteBlue
08-13-2009, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
And what does dog-fighting have to do with 'pee-testing' as you put it? As far as I know he was convicted of any drug related offenses....:thinking:

Keith7
08-14-2009, 01:12 AM
He paid his debt to society so I've made my peace with him.. That being said, I'm excites about this signing and I can't wait to see what the eagles have planned with him.. We probably have the most dangerous back up qb in the league (both literally and figurativly) and he can help run the wildcat and be a threat in certain situations..

By all accounts McNabb is happy with the signing, he came out and supported Vick earlier this week and he knows he is the man in Philly and Vick isn't going to take his job anytime soon..

Overall it was a great move by the Eagles, low risk / high reward can't be bad.. Now having to deal with PETA protesters at camp the next three weeks, that's another story..

STANG RED
08-14-2009, 07:41 AM
It could be a brilliant move by Philly. If he proves to be the weapon he once was, just imagine what they could get for him in a trade. It might be just a bit risky, but at only $3M per season for a one time top draft chioice, I think the risk is pretty low.
I'm going to be real curious to see if he still has the skills for the NFL.
As for all that other crap. He has done his time, he says he is remorsful, he paid a huge price for his offenses in many ways. Now its time to let the man prove himself again. I hope he proves he is a changed man, and has much success. Only time will tell.

IrishTex
08-14-2009, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
It could be a brilliant move by Philly. If he proves to be the weapon he once was, just imagine what they could get for him in a trade. It might be just a bit risky, but at only $3M per season for a one time top draft chioice, I think the risk is pretty low.
I'm going to be real curious to see if he still has the skills for the NFL.
As for all that other crap. He has done his time, he says he is remorsful, he paid a huge price for his offenses in many ways. Now its time to let the man prove himself again. I hope he proves he is a changed man, and has much success. Only time will tell.

Ya know Red, after sleeping on it a night, I think I agree with you. I believe he should get a second chance, like most of us should.
I'm sure he's had plenty of time to think about his mistakes.

Ranger Mom
08-14-2009, 08:37 AM
Ya know Red, after sleeping on it a night, I think I agree with you. I believe he should get a second chance, like most of us should.
I'm sure he's had plenty of time to think about his mistakes.

As a fellow dog lover...it took me a while to get there too!:D

IrishTex
08-14-2009, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
As a fellow dog lover...it took me a while to get there too!:D

:clap: :clap:

SintonFan
08-14-2009, 09:42 AM
I agree.

rofl!:2thumbsup

STANG RED
08-14-2009, 10:39 AM
Just saw the Vick press conference on ESPN. I was very impressed by how humble and thankful he is for this second chance. Tony Dungy has obviously been a great mentor for him, and I believe the young man is now on the right track with his life, and will do many positive things both inside and outside of the NFL. I'll never be an Eagles fan, but I am in Vicks corner now, and really believe he will be a positive impact in many ways in the future. I've always been a big Tony Dungy fan, but I'm now a huge fan. Great job coach Dungy.

DaHop72
08-14-2009, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
He paid his debt to society so I've made my peace with him.. That being said, I'm excites about this signing and I can't wait to see what the eagles have planned with him.. We probably have the most dangerous back up qb in the league (both literally and figurativly) and he can help run the wildcat and be a threat in certain situations..

By all accounts McNabb is happy with the signing, he came out and supported Vick earlier this week and he knows he is the man in Philly and Vick isn't going to take his job anytime soon..

Overall it was a great move by the Eagles, low risk / high reward can't be bad.. Now having to deal with PETA protesters at camp the next three weeks, that's another story.. I bet if he had signed with the Cowboys your response would have been slanted a different way. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BreckTxLonghorn
08-14-2009, 11:40 AM

Overall it was a great move by the Eagles, low risk / high reward can't be bad.. Now having to deal with PETA protesters at camp the next three weeks, that's another story..

If he practices well in the Wildcat, the move can definitely make the Iggles team to beat far & away in the NFC East.

Still overpaid for him, though. Could've got first year at around a million & options at 3.

eagles_victory
08-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Not a better coach for him than Andy Reid. If anyone knows how to deal with criminals on a day to day basis its Reid. He will probably invite Vick to family dinners I could see him becoming really good friends with Reids kids.

Big Papa
08-14-2009, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
If he practices well in the Wildcat, the move can definitely make the Iggles team to beat far & away in the NFC East.

Still overpaid for him, though. Could've got first year at around a million & options at 3.

i think the bengals did offer him a lower contract and then the eagles came over the top of it

Electus Unus
08-14-2009, 02:25 PM

Overall it was a great move by the Eagles, low risk / high reward can't be bad.. Now having to deal with PETA protesters at camp the next three weeks, that's another story.. for once i agree with you

I think the PETA people need to shut the _____ up! Vick will likely be doing a lot of volunteer work for the Humane society

DDBooger
08-14-2009, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
for once i agree with you

I think the PETA people need to shut the _____ up! Vick will likely be doing a lot of volunteer work for the Humane society
it isn't just PETA, holy crap the phones were blowing up on some guys show from people phoning in their "displeasure" with the move! You have to earn the love in Philly lol

Phil C
08-14-2009, 03:08 PM
We shouldn't really be surprised that it was the Eagles. That is where they booed Santa Claus, cheered when Michael Irwin was hurt (not polite encourging applaus), and are hostile to oposing fans in a threatening way.

Phil C
08-14-2009, 03:08 PM
We still have to remember that Sylvester Stalone and Benjamin Franklin are from Philadelphia.

IrishTex
08-14-2009, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
We still have to remember that Sylvester Stalone and Benjamin Franklin are from Philadelphia.

:clap: :clap:

I knew I could count on my good friend Phil to keep this in focus.

Fact: I remember seeing a Monday Night Football game in Philadelphia one year, and all they could talk about was where Rocky ran up the stairs...

So the only thing Philly is known for is the Liberty Bell, Rocky, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iPFK5T_G3U) and a great sandwich? Maybe that's why their fans are so hostile.

westtxfballfan
08-14-2009, 05:24 PM

I agree. Good luck to him. Remember that his co-defendants wisely pled guilty early in the process, and, if he'd have done the same, he likely would have received a lot less than 27 months. His lawyers didn't exactly play it out to his benefit in the end. Good luck to him.

GreenGobbla
08-14-2009, 05:46 PM

lol, Philly will def. beat the cowgirls...
and btw get off that Americas team bs, they never have and never will be Americas team, that's just what yall cowboys fans like to believe...

IrishTex
08-14-2009, 05:49 PM
Yeah, Austin is alot closer to Philly than Dallas I must say...

:D :rolleyes:

SintonFan
08-14-2009, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by GreenGobbla
and btw get off that Americas team bs, they never have and never will be Americas team, that's just what yall cowboys fans like to believe...
They've been America's Team since before you were born.:D :tongue: :D

MJMbrahmas10
08-14-2009, 08:52 PM
how do you stop macclin jackson westbrook mcnabb and now vick? with celek and weaver to help.

SintonFan
08-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by MJMbrahmas10
how do you stop macclin jackson westbrook mcnabb and now vick? with celek and weaver to help.
With MOXIE man!:D ;)
lol

GreenGobbla
08-14-2009, 09:35 PM

theres gonna be a few, but dallas isnt gonna be one them

TheDOCTORdre
08-14-2009, 09:56 PM

you pray that the injury bug hits them the week you play them

Txbroadcaster
08-14-2009, 11:07 PM
while I think Maclin is special I also think just like 99% of rookie WRS it will be next season before we see much from him.

Eagle have to worry about that OL that is already in patchwork mode and a D that has lost their soul in Dawkins and now lost their best LB for the season.

IrishTex
08-15-2009, 04:08 PM
http://i.usatoday.net/sports/_photos/2009/08/15/vickx.jpg

From USAToday (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/eagles/2009-08-15-vick-practice_N.htm)

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Wearing a No. 7 red quarterback's jersey, Michael Vick (FSY) completed his first pass, shared a laugh with Donovan McNabb (FSY) and got a handshake from the offensive coordinator.
Back on an NFL practice field for the first time since completing his prison sentence, Vick took part in limited drills with the Philadelphia Eagles on Saturday.

He was the fourth quarterback to line up under center in the early portion of the practice. Vick took only one snap and tossed a short pass over the middle against no defense. He playfully pumped his fist before McNabb, who lobbied the Eagles to sign Vick, gave him a man-hug.

While most of the attention was on Vick, there was more good news for Philadelphia as Brian Westbrook (FSY) returned to practice for the first time since offseason ankle surgery

The star running back had surgery to remove scar tissue and bone fragments from his right ankle in June. He initially hurt the ankle last season in Week 3 against Pittsburgh.

Westbrook also had his left knee cleaned out shortly after the Eagles lost to Arizona in the NFC championship game last January. He experienced pain in the ankle while rehabbing the knee.

In the morning walkthrough, Vick worked with the scout team offense.

"We have to get him in football shape," Eagles coach Andy Reid said. Reid said Vick was fit enough to handle an NFL practice and the team would bring him along accordingly.

Vick practiced only at quarterback in the morning session, Reid said.

"That's what Michael is," he said. "Michael's a quarterback."

A three-time Pro Bowl pick during six seasons with the Atlanta Falcons, Vick served 18 months in federal prison for running a dogfighting ring and was reinstated last month by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell after being out of action since 2006.

He signed a one-year deal with the Eagles on Thursday for $1.6 million with a team option for a second year at $5.2 million.

With McNabb firmly entrenched as Philadelphia's starter and Kevin Kolb (FSY) backing him up, Vick may be used more as a gimmick player than a traditional quarterback. He's got the athletic skills to run the Wildcat formation.

"There's always the possibility you can do something," Reid said.

Vick always has been far more inclined to take off and run than stay in the pocket and find an open receiver. His career completion percentage is 53.8%, among the lowest for a starting NFL quarterback. He has 71 career touchdown passes, but 52 interceptions.

Vick has more career 100-yard rushing games (8) than 250-yard passing games (6).

Aiding his return to the NFL is he'll be learning an Eagles' West Coast offense similar to what he ran in Atlanta.

"He's very fortunate he knows the foundation of this offense. That will speed things up," Reid said.

McNabb, a five-time Pro Bowl pick who has led the Eagles to five NFC championship games and one Super Bowl appearance in the last eight years, supported Reid's push for the team to sign Vick. The 29-year-old Vick said his friendship with McNabb was a factor, along with the team's strong management and tradition, in him picking the Eagles over other teams.

"I thought this was the perfect situation, perfect scenario," Vick said Friday at his introductory news conference. "I can come in and I can learn from Donovan, one of the premier quarterbacks in the game, one of the best at it. Everything that he's learned and the way he's been polished just comes from Coach Reid. I want to get with those two and do as much as I can to become a complete quarterback and I have time to do it."

The Eagles were heavily criticized by animal rights' activists for signing Vick and dozens of protesters voiced their outrage outside the team's practice facility on Friday. There was not much of a scene on Saturday afternoon: Seven people stood outside the gates, four of them anti-Vick.

Any furor over Vick's signing has not stopped the NFL marketing machine. Vick's new Eagles' jersey — available in white, black or midnight green — was available on the league's website for $259.99.

Ranger Mom
08-15-2009, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by GreenGobbla

Wow....have you googled "America's Team?" It's all about the cowboys!!

Heck, even Wikipedia says so!!

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The term America's Team is a popular nickname in American sports that most often refers to the Dallas Cowboys of the National Football League. The term is recognized and often used by media outlets, including ESPN, Yahoo!, HBO Sports, and Sports Illustrated. On their Top 10 show, the NFL Network named the Dallas Cowboys' "America's Team" as the #1 nickname in NFL history

If Sports Illustrated and ESPN proclaim it....it must be true!!!

Link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America%27s_Team)

Electus Unus
08-15-2009, 05:21 PM
Man hugs are contagious.