PDA

View Full Version : Neftali Feliz

lostaussie
08-13-2009, 03:46 PM
struck out the 1st 5 hitters he faced today in relief of Scott Feldman. Feldman picked up his 12th win of the season as the Rangers won 4-1:clap::clap:

crzyjournalist03
08-13-2009, 03:52 PM
Feliz has already etched his name into the team record books. With those 5 strikeouts, he had struck out seven consecutive batters that he had faced, tying the team record set by some guy named Nolan Ryan.

IrishTex
08-13-2009, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Feliz has already etched his name into the team record books. With those 5 strikeouts, he had struck out seven consecutive batters that he had faced, tying the team record set by some guy named Nolan Ryan.

This kid is gonna be special..

Ex-Tiger2005
08-13-2009, 04:16 PM
that kid throws the gas face big time! and he is so smooth!

goosealaniz
08-13-2009, 05:37 PM
sometimes i wish he would use a REAL slow knuckle ball... like low 60's after he throws in the 100's... that would keep the batters off balance...

eagles_victory
08-13-2009, 05:58 PM
Feliz has already etched his name into the team record books. With those 5 strikeouts, he had struck out seven consecutive batters that he had faced, tying the team record set by some guy named Nolan Ryan. and Jason Jennings.

GreenMonster
08-13-2009, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by goosealaniz
sometimes i wish he would use a REAL slow knuckle ball... like low 60's after he throws in the 100's... that would keep the batters off balance... Dude, it's obvious you are not a baseball guy. There is a huge reason that there aren't many knuckleballers out there and why NO ONE uses it as a changeup. It's really really hard to control. It is a big time feel pitch and to be able to throw it effectively it must be thrown a lot. Wakefield is quite possibly the last of the knuckleballers. When you throw 100 plus you don't need much else to get people out. That nasty little hook of his will do exactly what he needs as far as changing speeds goes.

crzyjournalist03
08-14-2009, 08:58 AM
Feliz throws his changeup faster than most pitchers throw their fastball. But when you're talking a 10 mph difference, that's the key. That's more than enough to keep a hitter off balance.

goosealaniz
08-14-2009, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Dude, it's obvious you are not a baseball guy. There is a huge reason that there aren't many knuckleballers out there and why NO ONE uses it as a changeup. It's really really hard to control. It is a big time feel pitch and to be able to throw it effectively it must be thrown a lot. Wakefield is quite possibly the last of the knuckleballers. When you throw 100 plus you don't need much else to get people out. That nasty little hook of his will do exactly what he needs as far as changing speeds goes.

im a baseball guy... i just always wanted to see a pitcher throw a 100 and then just throw a knuckle ball in the low 60's.... just to see the hitters reaction... and i know a knuckle ball is real hard to control... my dad can do it... he tried to show me once... i never could get it...

Balcones fault
08-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Feliz throws his changeup faster than most pitchers throw their fastball. But when you're talking a 10 mph difference, that's the key. That's more than enough to keep a hitter off balance.

He's got 3-4 pitches AND he throws them for strikes. I like the way they're developing him. Opposing hitters have yet to bat twice against him. I'm also glad the Rangers didn't trade away any talent. They're interesting to watch now...almost enough to actually do a road trip and attend a game.

crzyjournalist03
08-14-2009, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by goosealaniz
im a baseball guy... i just always wanted to see a pitcher throw a 100 and then just throw a knuckle ball in the low 60's.... just to see the hitters reaction... and i know a knuckle ball is real hard to control... my dad can do it... he tried to show me once... i never could get it...

Actually, a low-60s knuckleball would be far easier to hit compared with a changeup if the guy is throwing 100 MPH.

The immense difference in speed would give the pitch away instantly, so the hitter could sit back and try to hack at it.

The reason that a good changeup is successful is that the pitch is between 10-12 miles per hour slower than the fastball, which isn't enough of a difference to pick up immediately. When you're talking a pitch that's nearly twice as slow, any hitter should be able to immediately recognize it and wait on it.

eagles_victory
08-14-2009, 12:50 PM
Actually, a low-60s knuckleball would be far easier to hit compared with a changeup if the guy is throwing 100 MPH.

The immense difference in speed would give the pitch away instantly, so the hitter could sit back and try to hack at it.

The reason that a good changeup is successful is that the pitch is between 10-12 miles per hour slower than the fastball, which isn't enough of a difference to pick up immediately. When you're talking a pitch that's nearly twice as slow, any hitter should be able to immediately recognize it and wait on it. Not to mention you could immediately notice the spin of the knuckleball is way different.

Hupernikomen
08-14-2009, 12:53 PM

I do believe I was at the game Ryan struck out 7 in a row to start the game..may have just been 5 though..either way it was an awesome atmosphere watching him mow them down.