PDA

View Full Version : Yoakum Bulldogs

44INAROW
08-13-2009, 11:49 AM
Link to Article (http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2009/aug/12/mf_yoakumfb_081309_61479/?sports&local-sports)

Bulldogs adjust to new schemes
Yoakum makes changes under new coach

YOAKUM - Yoakum running back Trey Hights is playing for his third head coach in four years, but he's not about to complain.

Hights is determined to make his final year at Yoakum better than last season when the Bulldogs advanced to the Class 3A, Division II area playoffs.

"It makes us focus more because we don't want our senior year to go to waste," Hights said. "We work hard and go out there and listen to what he says and run his plays."

Head coach Brent Kornegay came to Yoakum from Orange Grove in the spring and brought a new offense and defense with him.

Kornegay began his coaching career on the junior high level at Yoakum in 1989 and returns to reunite with some of the same coaches, but with much improved facilities.

Kornegay is installing a double-slot offense, which is a radical change for the Bulldogs, who ran a one-back set almost exclusively last season.

"It's complicated, but we're getting it now," quarterback William Markert said. "We've got to get used to this offense and get it under us. We need to work on it play after play."

Hights rushed for 1,345 yards and 19 touchdowns, and Markert passed for 1,239 yards and 12 touchdowns last season.

Kornegay believes with an experienced line returning, they can be more productive in the new offense.

"Right now is just getting kids to buy into what we're trying to accomplish whether it be terminology or what we're looking for as an attitude and what we believe as a staff," Kornegay said. "It's gone better than I really anticipated. We've put a lot of pressure on them as far as getting the offensive terminology and things put in. We've put in a majority already. Now, we're just going back and refining what we're doing."

The Bulldogs will be moving from a 4-3 alignment to a five-man front on defense.

"It's been difficult, but we're managing to do it," linebacker Jesse Braden said. "We want to show everybody that we really are good."

Kornegay knows Yoakum has the athletes to duplicate or surpass last year's success as they progress in the system.

"I knew coming in it was going to be a good group and they are a good group," Kornegay said. "They are very talented. It's just a matter of them understanding everything we're trying to do.

"They've done a great job so far. Depending on how much they understand things will determine how we go from there. We've come a long ways from Day 1 to where we are now."

The Bulldogs have come a long ways in the last three years and hope to go further this season.

"We'd like to leave on a good note for the guys next year," Markert said. "We want to finish off our senior year in a positive way and go as far as we can."

Scrimmages

Saturday at Wharton, 11 a.m.

Aug. 20 Shiner, 7 p.m.

Season opener

Aug. 28 at Columbus

Booter11
08-13-2009, 12:04 PM
the august 28th game against columbus should be a good game... the bulldogs return a lot of talent and could make a run in the playoffs this year... the cardinals are very young but have speed on both sides of the ball... should be a great season opener, will definitely be there

Footballhudini
08-13-2009, 12:28 PM
i think yoakum can take cuero this year

Pudlugger
08-13-2009, 06:28 PM
It will be interesting to see how a 5 man front defense does against the La Grange Leps's spread offense. Man to man coverage? Bring it!:D

Bull Butter
08-13-2009, 08:29 PM
Give Kornegay time. His teams at Orange Grove had average talent but he got them to play at a very high level. Translated........ they would "get after it". If he can get Yoakum's kids to play as hard as The Grove's kids did, then the Dogs will be just fine.

Cowboy_Up
08-14-2009, 07:34 AM
Yoakum is a long time Edna rival as we've played them for decades. Having said that, I felt for those kids when their coach moved on. Nothing against the new guy as it sounds like he'll do fine over time, but those kids are good, and they've been working towards this year for their entire high school career. To make the improvements they did last year and then have to come in and learn an entire new system has to be vey tough. Maybe it will turn out to be Yoakum's year, but they would have been scary good had they kept everything together for one more year.

gap8d
08-14-2009, 07:40 AM
Wow--seems to me Yoakum should have hired you as their coach. That 50 they run is very adaptable. Of course, you would know every defense must start with the basics. Within a few weeks, they'll be running out of multiple fronts, and might even give you a few different looks in the secondary.
As far as adapting to the kids, you'll be surprised to see how Coach K can tailor the program to the kids.
Good luck to the team. I hope no student-athlete has to come home every day and listen to your analysis.

Johnny Utah
08-14-2009, 08:55 AM
Lets just hope La Grange makes the playoffs.

fourbeee
08-14-2009, 09:00 AM
Everyone talks about how tuff the Abilene Wylie, Brownwood,etc, district is, but the Giddings, Sealy, Bellville, LaGrange district looks to be just as good. The 3 teams that come out of that district will be good and hard to beat in the playoffs. They will all beat up on each other.

Pudlugger
08-14-2009, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
Lets just hope La Grange makes the playoffs.

Yes the playoffs are a long way away. However, the Leps play Yoakum week 1. They open week 0 with Lockhart away and then meet the Bulldogs at home the following week. So they do not need to make the playoffs to play Yoakum.:)

Footballhudini
08-14-2009, 10:16 AM
yoakum 49
lagrnge 7

Johnny Utah
08-14-2009, 11:03 AM
I just got the sense that someone was trying to make it out that LG would just roll over Yoakum. Yoakum is well coached for sure. Good luck to all.

Pudlugger
08-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
I just got the sense that someone was trying to make it out that LG would just roll over Yoakum. Yoakum is well coached for sure. Good luck to all.

Yoakum is loaded with talent. They will be one of the stronger teams the Leps will face. Lockhart in week 0 will be tough as well. They went two rounds in the 4A playoffs last season and have one of the best Rbs in 4a back this year along with a seasoned O line. If the Leps don't hit the playing field running they will have a very slow start to the 2009 season.

Footballhudini
08-14-2009, 12:03 PM
just keep thinking 'north crowley'

Johnny Utah
08-14-2009, 12:36 PM
Sounds like a very tough pre-dist schedule. The district is BRUTAL!!!

Old Green
08-14-2009, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Footballhudini
i think yoakum can take cuero this year Could very well happen. Edna and Yoakum have the most experience back. Cuero has to find a o- line and a defense and will have to grow up fast.

fourbeee
08-14-2009, 02:03 PM
If Yoakum plays at the level they are capable of and beats Columbus, then the game with La Grange could be a good one.
Yoakum turned the ball over a bunch against LG last year and the game was over by the end of the 1st Qt. The potential is there to have a good season for Yoakum and LG. Last year Yoakum lost it's first two games and played 2 rounds in the playoffs. LG started out with a close loss against Lockhart and then beat up on Yoakum and didn't make the playoffs. Just can never forcast what teenagers are going to do until they do it.

Johnny Utah
08-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Great point 4, great point.

Pudlugger
08-14-2009, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by four
If Yoakum plays at the level they are capable of and beats Columbus, then the game with La Grange could be a good one.
Yoakum turned the ball over a bunch against LG last year and the game was over by the end of the 1st Qt. The potential is there to have a good season for Yoakum and LG. Last year Yoakum lost it's first two games and played 2 rounds in the playoffs. LG started out with a close loss against Lockhart and then beat up on Yoakum and didn't make the playoffs. Just can never forcast what teenagers are going to do until they do it.

I might note that last year La Grange beat Yoakum, Goliad and Gonzales which probably would have gotten them a playoff spot had they been in their district. Ironic.

fourbeee
08-14-2009, 02:35 PM
Point taken.

raider red 2000
08-14-2009, 04:56 PM
anyone coming to wharton to watch the scrimmage?

maestro
08-15-2009, 06:41 PM
how did this scrimmage turn out raider red?

Gontex
08-15-2009, 08:42 PM
I have not seen Gonzales mentioned in this discussion. It's going to be interesting to see if Coach gets his team back this year. Burton coming back at full speed should help the Apache attack. Doesn't help the O much when a returning all-state player is injured and doesn't play. Apaches did beat Edna last year and then had to forfeit due to an ineligible player.

Cowboy_Up
08-16-2009, 10:16 AM
Gontex,
I'd love to get your input on the Apaches.
Based on the numbers I see they lost a lot of lettermen, but their JV team looked good, and very big.

What's the feeling in Gonzales about this years team?

Old Green
08-16-2009, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Gontex
I have not seen Gonzales mentioned in this discussion. It's going to be interesting to see if Coach gets his team back this year. Burton coming back at full speed should help the Apache attack. Doesn't help the O much when a returning all-state player is injured and doesn't play. Apaches did beat Edna last year and then had to forfeit due to an ineligible player. Glad to hear Ckody will be back healthy this year. He's an exciting player to watch.

Gontex
08-16-2009, 07:28 PM
I really haven't heard a lot about them yet. I think folks are keeping their expectations low because of the fiasco that last year turned out to be. I do know that there are some athletes there that can be pretty good if they get all the kinks worked out.
Coach M had a learning year last year and I hope he is able to apply what he learned to the team this year.

Originally posted by Cowboy_Up
Gontex,
I'd love to get your input on the Apaches.
Based on the numbers I see they lost a lot of lettermen, but their JV team looked good, and very big.

What's the feeling in Gonzales about this years team?