PDA

View Full Version : Is today's customer service a sevice to customers?

IrishTex
08-13-2009, 11:04 AM
OMG can customer service today be any more complex?

This morning I was on my way to work and remembered I hadn't charged up my cell phone. I had the great idea to just buy a new phone charger as there is a Sprint store by my work. I got there at 8:30 and saw they didn't open until 9:00. So I had the great idea and call Sprint to get a price estimate...could have been the biggest mistake if my week.

I called, had to put in my pin, after I told them I wanted to speak English. They told me this could be recorded for customer service training. I got a rep on the phone and she asked me what I needed the phone charger for!!!!!!!
I told the rep I forgot to charge up my phone..(sheesh).

The rep told me I would have to talk to Sales.

Got a sales rep on the line and verified my account for the third time. She told me I could buy the charger at the store for 35.00 or I could buy on-line for 34.99. I'm thinking wth???

Bottom line is, to me, it's more difficult to talk to a company now with all of the menu options, all of the reps saying "if I understand you correctly" blah, blah, blah....

Where is the real customer service today?

crzyjournalist03
08-13-2009, 11:08 AM
What kind of phone do you have? Some convenience stores now carry battery-powered chargers that work for various phone makes. They're only good for emergencies, but if you were willing to buy a new charger, you might want to check it out.

CHS_CG
08-13-2009, 11:16 AM
Most of the time you can press 0 to bypass the prompts

Emerson1
08-13-2009, 11:18 AM
amazon and ebay

You can find a charger for your phone for under $5

IrishTex
08-13-2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the help..
I have a Samsung Instinct from Sprint.

Love the phone, but dread customer service.

http://mariekelly.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/samsung-instinct-sprint.jpg

BwdLion73
08-13-2009, 12:07 PM
Irish Tex...have you had any problems with yours? I got 10 of them for my business and in about 4 months have had two go out with gray or blank screens. We also have a problem with several of them that freeze up and have to remove the battery to reset them. I did get full coverage insurance on them but it is still a pain.
Otherwise everone loves the features.

ronwx5x
08-13-2009, 12:13 PM
I am especially "greatful" for all the friendly reminder calls that I get from my provider urging me to purchase a new phone, add a new phone or upgrade my service. And they assure me this is a free call and won't be used against my monthly allowable minutes. Each time the sales rep asks me how many minutes I use each month, when I know full well my usage statistics are right in front of him/her. I don't use my phone for internet, texting, or pictures and the sales person assures me I am missing out on wonderful features. At my age, I'm just happy to be able to make a phone call!

IrishTex
08-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion73
Irish Tex...have you had any problems with yours? I got 10 of them for my business and in about 4 months have had two go out with gray or blank screens. We also have a problem with several of them that freeze up and have to remove the battery to reset them. I did get full coverage insurance on them but it is still a pain.
Otherwise everone loves the features.

Great question Lion..

Up until just recently, I haven't had any problems, and I've had my phone about a year now. But recently, the screen is freezing up like you described. For example, the bottom with the Home and phone keys black out and I can't navigate if I'm on a call. I have the insurance as well and I wonder if it's dificult to get the phone changed out. I really like the phone, especially the GPS navigation deal, but if it starts giving me problems, I may do the new espirit??? Or Palm Pree???However it's spelled..

:inlove:

BwdLion73
08-13-2009, 12:42 PM
I chose the insurance that gave me full coverage and replacement while down. So far the two I have taken in were sent off for repair and loaner phones given out.
They said it would take around three weeks on the last one to see if they could fix it, if not they will give a new phone.
I also noticed that the 'new' Instinct phone is slightly different (rounded more on the sides) I thought they might have worked the bugs out of the new ones.

Ranger Mom
08-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Hey Lew!

When you called Sprint CS...did you actually talk to someone from the good ole U.S. of A??

If you did, consider yourself EXTREMELY lucky!!! I always get the ones that "aren't from here"....and that will make my blood pressure soar faster than anything!!

IrishTex
08-13-2009, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Hey Lew!

When you called Sprint CS...did you actually talk to someone from the good ole U.S. of A??

If you did, consider yourself EXTREMELY lucky!!! I always get the ones that "aren't from here"....and that will make my blood pressure soar faster than anything!!

LOLOL Kellye, I guess I was pretty fortunate....

But it went something like this:::

"Thanks for calling Sprint, this is Tomeka Shaniqua"

and then, I want to establish a nice relationship so I can get what I want, but after they give me that kind of a name, it always throws me off..

:rolleyes: :p

BreckTxLonghorn
08-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Hey Lew!

Okay, I'm going to defend the 'other' side here.

I work with a significant amount of Indian people on a consulting project - over 100. After spending two years and counting, I've gotten to know some enough to be able to breach the subject with call centers with them. I found it very enlightening.

The accent they can't fix. Many of them learn English just to be able to get a job in a call center or some day immigrate to America. But as with the location, its not going away (you don't lose a British accent by walking the streets of London, etc). If you're upset at not understanding them, blame the company for outsourcing (hard to argue too much with the economics of it, though--The World is Flat is a great book to read that sheds light ont his).

Now, if the seemingly lack of knowledge is what is upsetting, here's the kicker (and this blew me away). It's not that they're completely mindless. Quite the opposite, many have gone on to big Indian universities or are working in these while they go to school. It is how they are being trained. Many of the parent companies teach them 'the manual', which is basically just a script on how to react to different situations. They are trained to only go off the manual, and never veer off course. Even if they know workarounds, they can't use it unless they have been designated as an expert, in which case they only take certain calls. And they can't disobey - there's a line of people waiting to take their job.

So, I guess, my plea is this: don't get upset with the rep, they're just doing their job. It's the parent company that has set it up this way.

IrishTex
08-13-2009, 02:17 PM
So, I guess, my plea is this: don't get upset with the rep, they're just doing their job. It's the parent company that has set it up this way.

I understand that Breck...My problem with call centers in India is that even though we Americans probably assume most Indian folks are pretty sharp..(notice how many medical doctors are of Indian descent), why can't "they" understand what our issues are? It's like they have a phone script to just spew and regurgitate information that has nothing to do with why "we" called.

:D

BreckTxLonghorn
08-13-2009, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by IrishTex
It's like they have a phone script to just spew and regurgitate information that has nothing to do with why "we" called.

That IS all they have, and that's all they're allowed to go by. If it doesn't fit in the script, they're stuck.

BwdLion73
08-13-2009, 03:52 PM
Thats why I always call Dish Network....the recording tells me "I see your one of our most valued customers"....makes me feel so good! ;)

Ranger Mom
08-13-2009, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by IrishTex
I understand that Breck...My problem with call centers in India is that even though we Americans probably assume most Indian folks are pretty sharp..(notice how many medical doctors are of Indian descent), why can't "they" understand what our issues are? It's like they have a phone script to just spew and regurgitate information that has nothing to do with why "we" called.

I have to laugh how they all seem to have "American names".....do they think we are THAT stupid????

By "they" I am talking about Sprint, AT&T, whatever corporation it may be...I know that is in their protocol....it supposedly makes us feel more reassured!!:rolleyes:

Oh BTW....I had to teach "Sam" how to program phones when I get my new one...I knew more than he did about it.