PDA

View Full Version : Food Question

CHS_CG
08-13-2009, 10:43 AM
When making chicken fried steak, if you use buttermilk instead of regular milk... does it work better for a batter? When cooking, my batter doesn't stick very well and I was curious if anybody used buttermilk instead and if it helps.

waterboy
08-13-2009, 11:08 AM
I don't use buttermilk. I take the meat, wash it off under cold water, dip in flour, dip it in a scrambled egg/milk mixture, dip it in flour again, dip it in the eggs again, dip it in flour again, then deep fry in a Fry Daddy until golden brown. When they are done they will float to the top. Salt and pepper to taste.

You didn't mention the use of eggs. That's what makes the batter stick to the meat. I usually use 2 eggs per 2-1/2 cups of milk. That should be plenty of batter for 2 lbs. of steaks.

Let me know how it turns out for you. My family absolutely LOVES my chicken fried steak, with my famous homemade country gravy. As a matter of fact, my entire family is famous for this. I had an uncle who has owned several restaurants at different times, including a Claim Jumper franchise restaurant. Those were killer chicken fried steaks!

CHS_CG
08-13-2009, 11:13 AM
I also use the eggs, I maybe the problem is we do it in a skillet with oil we dont deep fry them. I just wondered if buttermilk would make a difference instead of regular milk

BobcatBenny
08-13-2009, 11:17 AM
waterboy and I make ours very similarly.

However ... I like to use straight egg.

And ... add salt and red pepper into the flour before battering.

I like my fry spicey.

waterboy
08-13-2009, 11:17 AM
I'd say deep fry them, most definitely. They don't absorb as much grease when you deep fry them, plus it makes the crust crunchier and better tasting, in my opinion. The way I cook them is messy with the TRIPLE batter, but the batter sticks to the steak VERY well. I've never found the need to use buttermilk, so I can't say whether it would work better or not. For the batter to stick to the meat, the flour has to be THICK and dry.

waterboy
08-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
waterboy and I make ours very similarly.

However ... I like to use straight egg.

And ... add salt and red pepper into the flour before battering.

I like my fry spicey.
I've done it that way, too.:thumbsup: It takes practice to get the right amount of spices, and each person has different tastes, so I usually add some salt and pepper to my egg/milk mixture, and add to taste after cooking.

You may want to add another egg or two to your batter if the flour doesn't stick. I've used 4 to 5 eggs to 2 cups of milk before, and it definitely helps thicken it up.

SintonFan
08-13-2009, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
When making chicken fried steak, if you use buttermilk instead of regular milk... does it work better for a batter? When cooking, my batter doesn't stick very well and I was curious if anybody used buttermilk instead and if it helps.
Make sure the cut of meat is patted dry before covering it in flour.
Stop using skim milk...:D

SintonFan
08-13-2009, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
I also use the eggs, I maybe the problem is we do it in a skillet with oil we dont deep fry them. I just wondered if buttermilk would make a difference instead of regular milk
That's called "pan fried steak" or "country fried steak".:)
I have seen buttermilk used. I don't think makes a big difference.

BobcatBenny
08-13-2009, 12:53 PM
Butter makes everything taste better.

Farmersfan
08-14-2009, 08:56 AM
Deep frying or pan frying are both very good. The secret to not losing the breading in the pan frying process is make sure your grease is hot BEFORE putting the steak in the grease. If the grease isn't hot enough the grease will soak into the breading and then you get it flaking off.

P.S. I managed Furrs Cafeterias for 12 years. The Chicken Fried Steaks were my favorites.

Ranger Mom
08-14-2009, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
Deep frying or pan frying are both very good. The secret to not losing the breading in the pan frying process is make sure your grease is hot BEFORE putting the steak in the grease. If the grease isn't hot enough the grease will soak into the breading and then you get it flaking off.

P.S. I managed Furrs Cafeterias for 12 years. The Chicken Fried Steaks were my favorites.

Another mistake people make is trying to flip the meat in the pan too soon. You will lose your breading every time that way.

T....have you ever used any of the Youtube recipes? If not, pull up youtube and search for ScooterSMcGee or Scott Hargrove (Its the same person, I think) ...he is kinda goofy, but he's got some really good recipes on there.

CHS_CG
08-14-2009, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Another mistake people make is trying to flip the meat in the pan too soon. You will lose your breading every time that way.

T....have you ever used any of the Youtube recipes? If not, pull up youtube and search for ScooterSMcGee or Scott Hargrove (Its the same person, I think) ...he is kinda goofy, but he's got some really good recipes on there.

I haven't done that but now that I have broadband I can lol!