PDA

View Full Version : La Grange at Liberty Hill Aug 15th

Pudlugger
08-13-2009, 09:31 AM
This should be a good chance to see what the Leps have this year. I'm especially curious to see if they can defense the run. Any thoughts on this scrimmage?

hookandladder
08-13-2009, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
This should be a good chance to see what the Leps have this year. I'm especially curious to see if they can defense the run. Any thoughts on this scrimmage?

Been to a # of practices, the Varsity has not been hitting much in practice. Hope they are ready to hit somebody Saturday on defense or it will not be good.

TRENCHES06
08-13-2009, 11:42 AM
They will be. Of course I'm guessing that Liberty Hill will probably be good and it will be a battle.

LHS 2SONS
08-14-2009, 12:23 PM
I will be at the scrimmage, any Liberty Hill posters would like to have a little m & g.

Pudlugger
08-14-2009, 07:40 PM
I'm celebtating my 63rd bd and taking a day trip to Liberty Hill to watch the Leps tomorrow. Anyone have any suggestions on a nice place to get lunch with my DW?

Hope the Leps don't hold back and let us have a look at their air game. Go Leps!

LH Panther Mom
08-14-2009, 08:39 PM
I'm celebtating my 63rd bd and taking a day trip to Liberty Hill to watch the Leps tomorrow. Anyone have any suggestions on a nice place to get lunch with my DW?

Hope the Leps don't hold back and let us have a look at their air game. Go Leps!
The booster club concession stand should have hot dogs, chili dogs, frito pie & nachos. :D ;) Seriously, it kind of depends what you like & what time you'd like to eat.

If I'm able to make it, I will be late because I have to work until 12. :(

Pudlugger
08-15-2009, 07:10 AM
LHPM thanks, I'll definitely stop by the concession stand for some goodies. Hope it is a good scrimmage for all.

duckpluck
08-15-2009, 04:17 PM
Both teams only scored 1 TD.

LaGrange threw the ball real well. LG came close to scoring 2 or 3 more TDs on some passes.

LH secondary struggled at times in pass coverage although Perrin did real well in coverage at CB.
It took until the last drive of the scrimmage before LH had an offensive play over 9 yards. The Panthers fumbled a few times as well but looked like towards the end that they were wearing down LG. They still have a long way to go but I am sure the team will be working on the issues this week.

I was impressed with LG and the passing game. They have some good pass catchers.
The LG def also did a pretty good job against the LH offense.

Pudlugger
08-15-2009, 05:38 PM
I arrived late and missed the Leps first team offense on the controlled scrimmage. The folks next to me said the Leps scored twice on pass plays. The first team defense looked real salty and basically held the Panthers to just a few yards rushing. The second teams traded stops and the Leps recovered a fumble. The controlled scrimmage started out with the Leps moving right down field to the 10 and then after a short pass to the flat the Panther defender made a great hit just after reception to force a fumble to stop the drive. The Panthers then went into their patient grind you out running game with 4-5 yards on first downs and 2-3 yards on second and third downs to move the ball downfield. They had one good 20 yard carry with excellent downfield blocking. The Leps looked like they were going to stop them on the 4 with 4th and 1 but the Panther's big fb 35 managed to get the first down by half a ball length. He ran it in on the next play for the score. The Leps again moved the ball downfield on very well executed pass plays into a stiff breeze. At the 23 yard line the Leps then spiked the ball to stop the clock and then set up a dandy pass play to the left in the end zone. The ball floated up into the wind and the defender made a very good play for the interception.

Both teams looked real good for this early in the season. The Lep D showed some real backbone and may be the best they have had in several seasons. The offense needs to work on the running game and the o line needs to get out in front to lead the way. If the Leps can limit turnovers to seal the deal with scores they will be very competitive in a tough district.

LHdog
08-15-2009, 06:28 PM
I was impressed with La Grange. Defensively, they were very quick and aggressive and the Panthers had problems moving the ball consistently. Offensively, the La Grange QB threw the ball very well and if the recievers had caught some deep balls could have scored two or three more TDs. It looks like the Panthers are still a "work in progress" especially the offense but I guess the offense usually lags the defense early on.

Pudlugger
08-16-2009, 09:19 AM
LH didn't throw one pass the whole time I watched the scrimmage. I would think every once and a while they would throw the ball to keep the D honest. They sure can run the ball though, so maybe it is irrelevant.

footballguru
08-16-2009, 10:32 AM
The comment about the LG defense not hitting enough in practice and being concerned about what happens against LH should be laid to rest after the LG defense swarmed to the ball and was bringing the wood each and every play.

Pudlugger
08-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Seems the Lep D came to play. They were really popping the leather out there Sat. Good job Leps!

LH Panther Mom
08-16-2009, 01:12 PM
LH didn't throw one pass the whole time I watched the scrimmage. I would think every once and a while they would throw the ball to keep the D honest. They sure can run the ball though, so maybe it is irrelevant.
I'll be sure to let our HC know we should pass some. :doh: :doh:

Wait, before I do that...ask Gilmer how many passes they saw us attempt. :devil:

K-MAC Chuck
08-16-2009, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I'll be sure to let our HC know we should pass some. :doh: :doh:

:clap: :fnypost: :iagree:

Pudlugger
08-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Just sayin'. No offense intended. :kiss:

Daddy D 11
08-16-2009, 07:07 PM
Unless I'm hallucinating, I saw LH throw 2 passes that were both broken up. I also watched the LH offense maybe move the ball 5 yards in their first 15 plays.

The defense didn't look horrible, will be the strong point for sure. The 2 linebackers are the playmakers, the offense on the other hand has alot of work to do.

It's gonna be a different kinda year for the Panthers this year.

LH_Tuff
08-16-2009, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
Unless I'm hallucinating, I saw LH throw 2 passes that were both broken up. I also watched the LH offense maybe move the ball 5 yards in their first 15 plays.

The defense didn't look horrible, will be the strong point for sure. The 2 linebackers are the playmakers, the offense on the other hand has alot of work to do.

Yes, they did attempt at least 2 passes. The offense is a work in progress. The o-line will get better as the season goes. The defense definitely looks ok. Pass defense was a little shaky. Can't let those WR's get that far upfield uncovered. They were somewhat lucky in that the LG QB overthrew a couple that were easy TD's.

LH Panther Mom
08-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Do I need to go back to last year about this time and drag up stuff from then? You think you'd get "it". ;)

K-MAC Chuck
08-16-2009, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Do I need to go back to last year about this time and drag up stuff from then? You think you'd get "it". ;)

:ditto: :2thumbsup
Some people just don't understand

Pudlugger
08-17-2009, 09:31 AM

OK, I must have missed them as I arrived about 20 minutes late for the controlled scrimmage part. That makes sense as even though LH is a rushing team they do throw every now and then to keep the D honest. Giddings is much the same.

I think LH will be fine this year as they have some very good players in key positions who will step it up for them along with great coaching. Their O line is young but they have good fundamentals and decent size and quickness to make their running game work. Good luck the rest of the way.

Daddy D 11
08-17-2009, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by K-MAC Chuck
:ditto: :2thumbsup
Some people just don't understand

Oh, I understand. Been watching it longer than you:D

And yes yes I know LHPM :p But I must say, last year I was worried that either Wylie or Brownwood would upset us.

This year, I'm a little worried about a few others as well.

But, I must say, the experience the guys have with the system always comes through in the later games.

Time will tell..

Footballhudini
08-18-2009, 02:35 AM
i dont have a dog in this fight, but if lg gets out of district, they may very well be repping their region in the semis.

hookandladder
08-18-2009, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by footballguru
The comment about the LG defense not hitting enough in practice and being concerned about what happens against LH should be laid to rest after the LG defense swarmed to the ball and was bringing the wood each and every play.

Yes, I do agree the defense was definitely ready to hit, we really ran well to the ball. Was at practice Monday evening and the defense was still bring the wood to the first team offense, there was quite a bit of energy out there yesterday. I have a more vested interest in the freshmen group, thought we played well against LH Freshmen. Question for the LH posters, How does Coach Vance feel this group of freshmen will turn out.

fourbeee
08-18-2009, 07:38 AM
I am sorry for being ignorant or is this something private between LHPM and K-Mack. But what are you guys talking about?
LHPM, are you saying that because you didn't pass the ball to beat Gilmer, that LH is going to be as good as a team as that one was and there is no need to pass the ball. If that is true then the rest of the state better look out. LH has a great offensive scheme and it has been very successful. It will remain that way until someone figures out a way to consistently stop their running game.

LH_Tuff
08-18-2009, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by four
I am sorry for being ignorant or is this something private between LHPM and K-Mack. But what are you guys talking about?
LHPM, are you saying that because you didn't pass the ball to beat Gilmer, that LH is going to be as good as a team as that one was and there is no need to pass the ball. If that is true then the rest of the state better look out. LH has a great offensive scheme and it has been very successful. It will remain that way until someone figures out a way to consistently stop their running game.

I don't think she is saying that at all. Not passing much is the way LH plays. Grind it out football. As far as beating Gilmer (and everyone else that year) I would say that the defense was the strongpoint of that team. That was probably the best defense LH has ever had.

This years defense looks promising so far. The thing with LH is that if the defense can get 2-3 stops in a game, the opposing team is doomed because of the grind it out, clock eating offense.

Pudlugger
08-18-2009, 12:37 PM
One big key to beating a ball control offense is to rotate in subs on the D line to keep them fresh and disrupt the O line's rhythm. Having 2 deep noseguards, DTs and DEs helps. The Leps have some good depth here this year. The Lep D will be much improved against the run this season.

LH Panther Mom
08-18-2009, 08:48 PM
No, I'm definitely not saying that at all, but there's a lot of football to be played, so we could be. ;) We average around 4 passes/game. For us, scrimmages aren't usually about seeing who can catch but who can tote the rock. :D

As far as KMac & I.....nah, nothing private. I was just giving Daddy D a hard time & he picked up on it. ;)

bigwood33
08-18-2009, 09:01 PM
One big key to beating a ball control offense is to rotate in subs on the D line to keep them fresh and disrupt the O line's rhythm. Having 2 deep noseguards, DTs and DEs helps. The Leps have some good depth here this year. The Lep D will be much improved against the run this season.
Pud, you must have never seen LH play! LH didn't get to be the best at the Slot-T by throwing it...or punting for that matter:) Year before last, LH didn't pass once in the state championship game. If my memory serves me correctly, it was either 37 or 39 rush attempts and 0 passing attempts.

Pudlugger
08-18-2009, 09:14 PM
Yes I know they don't throw much. That would explain the fact that I didn't see them practice the pass in the part of the scrimmage I attended(I was a few minutes late and apparently missed two pass attempts earlier). As for defensing a ball control rushing team, having fresh defensive down men is a big factor in getting the necessary stops. Otherwise your men get ground down like someone has mentioned earlier in this thread. Having depth in the D line is a big help. LH runs the ball better than any recent 3a teams I've seen with the possible exception of the 2000 La Grange team that won state with Tye Gunn. The veer is tough to defense too.

d0tc0m
08-18-2009, 11:13 PM
LH has a great offensive scheme and it has been very successful. It will remain that way until someone figures out a way to consistently stop their running game.

Butch and the Bobcats figured out how to stop 'em really well last year in the semis. I'd love to see the rubber match this year! Week 0 will be a good measuring stick for the purple panthers.