PDA

View Full Version : AC goes out is NEVER good...

Txbroadcaster
08-12-2009, 03:04 PM
But it really sucks when your home unit goes out in AUGUST of all months!!!

We have lived in 3 houses now in a row and we have had to replace

3 inside central air units

2 water heaters

In the first house the central air unit went out in winter, and we thought THAT sucked..I now would rather freeze to death than sweat in a home turned into a oven. Last night was the WORST night we have ever had because it was so dang hot

pirate4state
08-12-2009, 03:06 PM
Ouch that DOES suck!

Hope you get it fixed soon!

BuffyMars
08-12-2009, 03:09 PM
we are spending my birthday in a hotel room tonight cause we cant sleep at home. my poor babies might fry like bacon! :(:(

Ranger Mom
08-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
we are spending my birthday in a hotel room tonight cause we cant sleep at home. my poor babies might fry like bacon! :(:(

I know that happened to us a couple of years ago and it was going to cost a fortune to replace it. We bought some window units and just repaired it.

Well...now we have backed ourselves into almost HAVING to replace it now...there are no more "bandaids" to be had.:(

Thank God we still have the window units!

sinfan75
08-12-2009, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I know that happened to us a couple of years ago and it was going to cost a fortune to replace it. We bought some window units and just repaired it.

Well...now we have backed ourselves into almost HAVING to replace it now...there are no more "bandaids" to be had.:(

Thank God we still have the window units! Which is why all I have is window units. When those go out you can haul butt to the store and get a new one.

SintonFan
08-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
But it really sucks when your home unit goes out in AUGUST of all months!!!

We have lived in 3 houses now in a row and we have had to replace

3 inside central air units

2 water heaters

In the first house the central air unit went out in winter, and we thought THAT sucked..I now would rather freeze to death than sweat in a home turned into a oven. Last night was the WORST night we have ever had because it was so dang hot
Buy a small window unit just for the master bedroom. It's about the cost of one night in a hotel room and a better investment.:nerd:

SintonFan
08-12-2009, 05:38 PM
I also keep a battery powered camping fan if the power goes out at night. They're about 10-15 bucks at wally world and can run for like 24+ hours on D batteries.

Emerson1
08-12-2009, 05:42 PM
OK I admit it. I peed on the unit when I was helping you move!

zebrablue2
08-12-2009, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by sinfan75
Which is why all I have is window units. When those go out you can haul butt to the store and get a new one.

:2thumbsup:

44INAROW
08-12-2009, 08:33 PM
Sorry this happened to you - especially in the middle of Aug.. I sure hope you are able to repair it quickly.....

We replaced our unit last year (went with American Standard) - all new ductwork too. SOOOOO glad we did it - our unit was on it's last leg and ran in "2nd cycle" all the time.. Our new unit is great and cools the house quickly. It was a huge investment but we knew it was inevitible that the old unit would go out. Now if I could get the freaking utility bills below $500 I'd be happy.....

JasperDog94
08-13-2009, 09:33 AM
Mine went out last week. Lucky for me it was just the capacitor.

Txbroadcaster
08-13-2009, 09:46 AM
well I am home as the AC guys are putting in the new inside unit.

Still hot as heck in here lol

BreckTxLonghorn
08-13-2009, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Mine went out last week. Lucky for me it was just the capacitor.

The flux capacitor? Did your air conditioner go out or your DeLorean?:D

CHS_CG
08-13-2009, 10:12 AM
When my parents and I moved into this house they only had window unites and a wood burning stove for heat... so we put in central a/h had to put duct work in to since they didn't have it either, it was a pain in the butt but atleast it was in May when it was a tad bit cooler. That was 8 years ago and *knocking on wood* we havent had a problem with it. Hope you are nice and cool soon!

waterboy
08-13-2009, 10:25 AM
I know exactly what you're going through. Since we bought our place back in 2000, we've had to replace the entire unit once (in '05), and have had to repair that unit 3 times. When it went out the first time, we rented a room at a local motel for a night. When it went out a second time, I went to Target and bought 2 window units. Now, everytime the unit goes on the fritz, I go out in the store room and dig the units out and put them in. They don't cool as good as the central unit, but it does make it tolerable.......and saves money. It usually takes at least 24-48 hours to get somebody out to fix the unit.

Phil C
08-14-2009, 11:10 AM
It is even more unfortunate when it happens on a Friday afternoon when you can't get help. That is why it is good to have a couple of window units to help you get through.