PDA

View Full Version : Giddings 2 Starters Quit?

Matthew328
08-11-2009, 10:54 AM
A little birdie told me Giddings had two starters quit to focus on baseball...can anyone confirm or deny?

LH_Tuff
08-11-2009, 11:03 AM
http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/highschool/2009/08/11/0811prepnotes.html

44INAROW
08-11-2009, 11:13 AM
I read that earlier this morning on another site. I've asked some folks but haven't heard back. Must have been a tough decision for the boys to make

pirate4state
08-11-2009, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
A little birdie told me Giddings had two starters quit to focus on baseball...can anyone confirm or deny? dude, there has been talk about this for awhile now in another thread. get with the program Matt! :D

11as1
08-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Yes rush and trey both quit to focus on baseball. However giddings has gotten a new quiarterback

Maroon87
08-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by LH_Tuff
http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/highschool/2009/08/11/0811prepnotes.html

Until I read that article I didn't know that Friendswood won state last year...:confused: :thinking:

hookandladder
08-11-2009, 12:11 PM
A little birdie told me Giddings had two starters quit to focus on baseball...can anyone confirm or deny?

They did not quit football this year, they decided not to play this year to devote full time to Baseball. Big difference between quiting and deciding not to play.

BreckTxLonghorn
08-11-2009, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by hookandladder
They did not quit football this year, they decided not to play this year to devote full time to Baseball. Big difference between quiting and deciding not to play.

So they retired?

GUNHO
08-11-2009, 12:24 PM

If they played last year they did not decide not to play...they quit to devote full time to baseball.:D

11as1
08-11-2009, 12:25 PM
Yes they are done unless some sort of dramatic change

jason
08-11-2009, 12:45 PM
seems odd to not play when you are going to a junior college...

the kid going to play at tech makes sense, not the other one though....

11as1
08-11-2009, 12:49 PM
well rush is actually getting looked at by more than a juco too

hookandladder
08-11-2009, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by GUNHO
If they played last year they did not decide not to play...they quit to devote full time to baseball.:D

I would say someone quit if he or she decided not to play during the same year, if you finish the year playing a sport then you have fulfilled your commitment. You see it differently, which I dissagree. To each his own.

hookandladder
08-11-2009, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by jason
seems odd to not play when you are going to a junior college...

the kid going to play at tech makes sense, not the other one though....

There are many players from Junior Colleges that are just as good as Major college players, maybe he feels if he committs full time this fall and spring some major college might give he a shot. Tye Gunn from La Grange was just as good in Basketball and Baseball but chose not to play baseball and no basketball his senior year, did he quit also. Just an opinion, not taking sides.

rancher
08-11-2009, 01:03 PM
Sources in the know have told me that both of these two may be drafted in next years Major Leage Draft. Why risk an injury?

Old Cardinal
08-11-2009, 01:15 PM
To H and L:

I agree with you on both counts! They maybe did not want to sustain a football injury that would negate their scholarship in Baseball.
Also, some of the Select "Fanatidaddies" :D
have been blasting those that want to play JUCO instead of a 4 year college; both boys and girls.
What that is all about is that the HS 3 or 4 sport letterman--girls or boys-- usually go to JUCO and try to make All America etc: Then they go to any college in the USA to finish the remained of their education.

H and L this is getting scary me agreeing with you so much lately. :)

RedStorm
08-11-2009, 01:16 PM
there is no way Plumlee will get drafted...Masek is a great player. Plumlee is just above average in my opinion

KONGZILLA
08-11-2009, 02:21 PM
from what i saw on u-tube....they could have both played and neither one of them been giddings QB, this young cat here is the real deal.

hookandladder
08-11-2009, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by KONGZILLA
from what i saw on u-tube....they could have both played and neither one of them been giddings QB, this young cat here is the real deal.

I also saw the u tube, looks very impressive to me also. Just depends if the HC would committ to passing more than running, Masek looks to be much quicker than the kid on u tube. Still a very nice transfer at a perfect time, some have all the luck. We could use one of them transfers next year.

11as1
08-11-2009, 03:22 PM
you can't really base opinions on you tube as a video of sinton last year got the bellville defense cocky when they saw a sluggish looking offense and then sinton came out guns firing and bellville barely won

pirate4state
08-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by 11as1
you can't really base opinions on you tube as a video of sinton last year got the bellville defense cocky when they saw a sluggish looking offense and then sinton came out guns firing and bellville barely won huh? lol

oh and welcome to our message board, but seriously, huh? :D

ziggy29
08-11-2009, 03:47 PM
Declining to play another season is not "quitting". Walking away from your team and your teammates in the middle of a season is quitting.

hookandladder
08-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by ziggy29
Declining to play another season is not "quitting". Walking away from your team and your teammates in the middle of a season is quitting.

Agreed

Additup
08-11-2009, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by ziggy29

I agree 100%...There are always times to evaluate if you want to continue doing something. Quitting is when you start a sport and leave before a season is complete. Anytime after the season is finished is an appropriate time to decide not to play the following year.

MJMbrahmas10
08-11-2009, 07:36 PM
heard bellville has a player goin to college for baseball but the college coach encouraged him to play football

OldBison75
08-11-2009, 10:20 PM
I am sorry to hear that the two have given up football , but I will guarantee you that most college coaches that are really serious about a recruit are now encouraging them to play one sport and avoid injuries. My coaching friends tell me that it allows a baseball player to work on drills and routines that are specialized to baseball conditioning and agility.

Navasota had the same situation this year when Hadley made the choice to drop football and concentrate on baseball as his future college coach suggested. Hadley would have been the starting QB this year for the Rattlers.

However, he now has a guaratedd full scholarship that was conditional upon his physical health if he played football.

RedStorm
08-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by MJMbrahmas10
heard bellville has a player goin to college for baseball but the college coach encouraged him to play football

yeah its called manning up and and finishing your commitment and not letting your teammates down. fwiw the Bellville player got a more prestigious offer as well

buff4life
08-12-2009, 12:11 AM
well Masek's gotten offers from Rice as well just not as great of a percentage as Tech...i consider Rice a pretty prestigious offer

Daddy D 11
08-12-2009, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by RedStorm
yeah its called manning up and and finishing your commitment and not letting your teammates down. fwiw the Bellville player got a more prestigious offer as well

hah, you crack me up.

hookandladder
08-12-2009, 06:12 AM

Their decision has nothing to do about manning up, I will bet this was a pretty hard deceision for Masek and Plumlee not to play football. Both are very good athlete's that would have made Giddings a better football team, man up and move on. Also both have commitment's to play baseball at the next level, that's more than most can say on this board. With the price of college these days, some times you have to make decisions that are best for yourself.

BOCEPHUS
08-12-2009, 07:22 AM

CONFIRMED. LET IT GO NOW. CONNOR IS QB, DAMN GOOD ONE. TIME TO STOP TALKING ABOUT TEEN AGE KIDS AND QUESTIONING THEIR DECISION, IS THEIR BUSINESS, NOT ANYBODY ELSES ON HERE. GIDDINGS FOOTBALL IS ABOUT 45 YOUNG MEN, WILL BE JUST FINE......SOME OF YOU PEOPLE CRACK ME UP, TRY TO MAKE A DAMN SOAP OPERA OUT OF EVERYTHING

'AND MOST OF U KNOW WHO THE HELL I AM"

AND AM CAMPAIGNING TO BE THE R4 EDITOR. 'I NEED UR DAM VOTE'

Buffgal
08-12-2009, 10:33 AM
Wow, just got back from LBK and moving the sister and find all this on here and the absolute false info in the Austin paper, two articles at that.

FOR THE REST OF THE STORY AND MY ONLY COMMENT ABOUT THIS SUBJECT....

Rush played hard for two years on varsity and gave it all he had including both of his shoulders last season. After many family discussions about not playing football this year (all who know me know that we chewed on this subject more than a few times) he is satisfied and content with his decision and as his parents, so are we. After playing approx 250 baseball games in the past 2 1/2 yrs, it was easy to figure out which sport was the one for Rush. He understands totally that you must love the sport to be able to handle the next step to college level. Ask Alan Dock what he thinks about football now. Rush is also very realistic about how size is important in football, especially at the college level. Not many colleges were going to look at him for football and he totally understands that he would not last very long physically or be effective against the much bigger college opponents. Thus his emphasis on baseball.

Yes, he can get injured walking across the street or on the diamond, but at least he would get injured doing the sport that he loves. Last year, all he could say after he sprained his shoulder was "What if I can't throw a baseball?" The injury factor helped him make his decision but it was more than that, it was knowing that he could not totally commit to the football program, film days, etc and be able to give 100% to a fall baseball schedule. He personally knows what it takes to be a good Buffalo football player. It's just not possible to do both effectively, time wise or physically.

He certainly does not think he will be drafted but he does have offers from several JUCOs and two Div 1 schools (Southland Conference) and will be attending Invitation Only Prospect Days for two Big 12 schools this fall. I have no idea what will happen with him and his baseball but, no doubt it will happen and I will be sure to post when he comes to his decision. Many on here comment that Rush is only a mediocre baseball player but the only opinion that matters is that college baseball program and how he might help them. Being the catcher and DH for the National Junior Champion Baseball Team and going 44-2-4 for the summer does not hurt his chances either.

Rush and Trey both gave us alot of special memories on the football field and on the baseball diamond. You can all comment on here and call them "selfish" but don't ever call them "Quitters" because I can assure you, they will not EVER fit in that category. I think they are both pretty smart and mature for thinking ahead and of their own future.

It was a very hard decision for Rush, no one has to agree with it and I only ask that you respect the effort it took for a 17 yr old to come to it. I'll go with Bocephus and say it's time to shut up about this subject and roll with the team you have. Two guys will not shut the Buffs down by any means, too much talent and too good a coaching staff.

Go Buffs, I'll still be making noise.

shamu85
08-12-2009, 03:36 PM
Playing JUCO baseball is the absolute right path for a lot of kids because you can still be drafted at the JUCO level your 2 years there. If you go to a 4 year NCAA school, you aren't eligible for the MLB draft until you are at least a junior.

Curious how someone who doesn't know this kid from Adam, can second guess his decision to not continue playing high school football, and how somehow, because he previously played, he "owes" something to someone to not make that decision. That's just stupid. Ben Affleck in Dazed & Confused stupid.

shamu85
08-12-2009, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Until I read that article I didn't know that Friendswood won state last year...:confused: :thinking:

I have been tempted so many times lately to send the AAS a nasty e-mail. They don't even care if they get it wrong. They have so many errors in their stories from their so-called HS "experts" who really have no clue about HS football, and are such Austin area homers they think Crockett has a chance to win a playoff game. This takes the cake because they are so in love with LT, I can't believe they would make a mistake like this.

Buffgal
08-12-2009, 04:32 PM
yeah its called manning up and and finishing your commitment and not letting your teammates down.

This really says it all about the huge decision that Masek and Plumlee made. You finish your commitment to the football team, get injured and possibly aren't able to finish your commitment to your high school baseball team (who in every way needs you just as badly as the football team, perhaps more considering the numbers who try out) and jeopardize your personal future baseball/ $$$ for college education.

Let me tell you, Rush turned it every way he could turn it before making the call to not participate in football this year. It finally came down to being able to look in the mirror and honestly asking "What do I want for my own future?" and knowing that, in the end, he had the right to make his own choice.

Buffgal
08-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Buffgal
This really says it all about the huge decision that Masek and Plumlee made. You finish your commitment to the football team, get injured and possibly aren't able to finish your commitment to your high school baseball team (who in every way needs you just as badly as the football team, perhaps more considering the numbers who try out) and jeopardize your personal future baseball/ $$$ for college education.

Let me tell you, Rush turned it every way he could turn it before making the call to not participate in football this year. It finally came down to being able to look in the mirror and honestly asking "What do I want for my own future?" and knowing that, in the end, he had the right to make his own choice. We told him that no matter what his decision, he couldn't make everyone happy. He only had control over his own path in life.

He chose baseball and truthfully, would give up his ball/bat for a Pope and Young trophy in a heartbeat. South Texas in a bow blind would be his ultimate choice for a "college education"

RedStorm
08-12-2009, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Buffgal

Let me tell you, Rush turned it every way he could turn it before making the call to not participate in football this year. It finally came down to being able to look in the mirror and honestly asking "What do I want for my own future?" and knowing that, in the end, he had the right to make his own choice.

good for him...but not for his teammates. He isn't wrong in anyway, but i thought his parents/mentors would have steered him to play...I have friends from school who made desicions such as these, some in similar circumstances and most have come to regret this...that said i hope rush and trey the best of luck in college ball

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-12-2009, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by MJMbrahmas10

Bellvilles QB will be headed to Rice after Sr year with Bellville, he also had many other offers including Texas ATM.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-12-2009, 10:14 PM
Still a very nice transfer at a perfect time, some have all the luck. Did he transfer for sports?

hookandladder
08-13-2009, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
Did he transfer for sports?

He was the starting QB at a 4A school last year that went pretty deep in the playoffs, so I would say no did not transfer for sports. I heard a rumor that he has a cousin that is from Giddings also, if your looking for a rule validation I doubt you will fine one. Giddings now maybe even stronger than last year, from looking at him on U-Tube he throws the ball really well and runs the opition very well. Looks like he will fit perfectly into Giddings offense.

Rocket Dad
08-13-2009, 09:09 AM
Percentage of college athletes making a living as a pro - 3%
Chance to go back and play a sport skipped in H.S - 0%

No judgement, just saying.

Pudlugger
08-13-2009, 09:28 AM
Seems like a good decision to me. With a blue chip Qb move in taking the starting role concentrating on their best chances for a scholarship makes good sense. College costs run over $100,000 nowadays. In 15 years when they are not still paying off college loans they will not regret this. Good business sense trumps high school football in this case. Good luck to both. May they succeed in their endeavors.

allforball
08-13-2009, 09:34 AM
Percentage of high school baseball players receiving NCAA scholarships -- 6.1%. College to pro - 9.4%. HS to pro - 0.45%.

"These figures do not take into account the opportunities that are available to compete in the lower divisions of the NCAA, NAIA and NJCAA." Info from NCAA website.

I believe a paid college education was the goal for these players, not a professional contract.