PDA

View Full Version : Suprising stat

crzyjournalist03
08-10-2009, 11:08 AM
Which team has currently given up the fewest runs in the American League this year?

The Texas Rangers, who have given up four fewer runs than second-place Boston, having played the same number of games.

waterboy
08-10-2009, 11:24 AM
I'm not surprised. The pitching hasn't been the problem this season. It's been the hitting. Quite a contrast from years past when they had poor pitching, but GOOD hitting. I prefer this version of the Rangers to that one, though. The bats WILL come around, and hopefully the pitching will remain consistent. If that happens, look for them to make the playoffs.

crzyjournalist03
08-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
I'm not surprised. The pitching hasn't been the problem this season. It's been the hitting. Quite a contrast from years past when they had poor pitching, but GOOD hitting. I prefer this version of the Rangers to that one, though. The bats WILL come around, and hopefully the pitching will remain consistent. If that happens, look for them to make the playoffs.

I know they've been pitching well, but going into yesterday, they were 7th in the AL in ERA. With the shutout, they moved up to 3rd, but I didn't have any idea that they had actually allowed the fewest runs in the league. Last year, they allowed a ridiculous number of unearned runs to score; this year, they must be holding that number way down.

waterboy
08-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Yeah, due to a much better defense this year, nearly all of the runs that are scored against the Rangers are of the earned variety. I don't have the stats on that, but it has been my observation that the Rangers have given up a whole lot fewer unearned runs this year. That in itself will help the team's statistics, not to mention it'll translate into more wins. Good defense, good pitching, and good hitting are the ingredients of a consistent contender. Good hitting is the only part that the Rangers are having trouble with, but they are showing signs that they are about ready to break out of it. Like I said, if that happens the Rangers will make the playoffs. That is, if everything else remains the same.

BTW, that was one AWESOME pitching performance put on by Derek Holland yesterday! He completely dominated the league's best hitting team in the Angels.:thumbsup: I think the Rangers really needed that! The pitching has to step it up a notch over the coming weeks if they are to make the playoffs.

SintonFan_inAustin
08-10-2009, 03:12 PM
The offense leads the AL, not sure if the majors also in HR so that part of the offense is still there. Stolen bases they're near the top in the AL but the avg is way down. So Rangers have become a HR team with some speed and pitching and defense. This might equal playoff bound :)

ziggy29
08-10-2009, 03:20 PM
As long as you have the pitching, you'll pretty much always be in there. I'd also point to the Giants, who despite one of the worst offenses in MLB are right near the top of the wild card picture because of their pitching anchored by Lincecum and Cain.