PDA

View Full Version : USA Today Preseason poll

BwdLions
08-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Florida tops USA Today coaches’ poll
By The Associated Press
4 hours, 59 minutes ago

Defending national champion Florida tops the USA Today preseason football coaches’ poll, receiving 53 of 59 first-place votes.

Texas was second in the poll released Friday, followed by Oklahoma, Southern California, Alabama, Ohio State, Virginia Tech, Penn State, LSU and Mississippi.

Texas had four first-place votes, and Oklahoma and Southern California each had one.

The Associated Press preseason Top 25 will be released Saturday, Aug. 22.

cshscougar08
08-07-2009, 02:40 PM
Everything looked good to me, except Notre Dame in there.

Pick6
08-07-2009, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
Everything looked good to me, except Notre Dame in there.

With Notre Dame's schedule they should win between 9-11 games.

WildTexan972
08-07-2009, 03:09 PM
ND is not the ND of old anymore....

they won't win 9 games.....

cshscougar08
08-07-2009, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Pick6

Yeah but this is a preseason poll. Going off the past, they have proven nothing and therefore should not be ranked.

Pick6
08-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Yeah but this is a preseason poll. Going off the past, they have proven nothing and therefore should not be ranked.

The preseason poll is for now, not the past.

IrishTex
08-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Oklahoma has Texas right where they want them.....

As the favorite going into the season...and OU always plays the underdog role to perfection.

Electus Unus
08-07-2009, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by IrishTex
Oklahoma has Texas right where they want them.....

As the favorite going into the season...and OU always plays the underdog role to perfection. It don't matter replacing 4 offensive linemen is going to be hard to do

cshscougar08
08-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
It don't matter replacing 4 offensive linemen is going to be hard to do

Yeah but we don't recruit bums off the street to play O-line, or any position for that matter. These are three, four and five star recruits that will be stepping in and all have played a lot the past two years, just never together as a unit. There are five games to gel before the Texas game. We'll be just fine. Sam just may only have 5 seconds to throw instead of 10.

cshscougar08
08-07-2009, 09:13 PM
The preseason poll is for now, not the past.

Ok. What has Notre Dame done that makes them worthy of that ranking at this exact moment in time? Don't look ahead to any games that have yet to be played. Look at this moment. What is there? A fantastic recruiting class that has yet to prove anything. Make that two classes. And a 7-6 team that beat a terrible Hawaii team to win a bowl game for the first time in I don't know how long. Not #23 in my book. Not when you have teams like Kansas, Tech and even Cincinnati, who btw went to the Orange Bowl and has double digit starters back, below them.

bigwood33
08-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Yeah but we don't recruit bums off the street to play O-line, or any position for that matter. These are three, four and five star recruits that will be stepping in and all have played a lot the past two years, just never together as a unit.

No doubt, they are all from Texas

cshscougar08
08-07-2009, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by bigwood33
No doubt, they are all from Texas

Exactly. Smart recruiting.

Electus Unus
08-07-2009, 09:41 PM
Ok. What has Notre Dame done that makes them worthy of that ranking at this exact moment in time? Don't look ahead to any games that have yet to be played. Look at this moment. What is there? A fantastic recruiting class that has yet to prove anything. Make that two classes. And a 7-6 team that beat a terrible Hawaii team to win a bowl game for the first time in I don't know how long. Not #23 in my book. Not when you have teams like Kansas, Tech and even Cincinnati, who btw went to the Orange Bowl and has double digit starters back, below them. Weiss has a losing record with his recruits but he has a winning record with Willinghams recruits

WTF-82
08-07-2009, 11:20 PM

Yeah they finally got one of those big 12 type schedules they play USC and about 5 other top 25 potential teams and the rest they should win. Same as Big 12 Texas will play OU and OK state and the rest should be sure wins well Baylor should be considered a power house out of the Big 12 I guess.

Look ND will play just as many potentiall strong teams as anyone so if they win 10 games schedule has nothing to do with it. SEC is the only confrence in the country were we can say even the scrubs will play you till the end.

The Big 12 is strong top 1-3 every year but after that please Navy and Army can both compete with the A&M's right now.

WTF-82
08-07-2009, 11:23 PM
Weiss has a losing record with his recruits but he has a winning record with Willinghams recruits

LOts Returning startes from a 7-6 team. Remeber they were a couple of close games away from being about 8-4 to 8-5 team.

WTF-82
08-07-2009, 11:31 PM
Weiss has a losing record with his recruits but he has a winning record with Willinghams recruits

Right !! I like that hey lets see what the man can do with his recruits this year last couple of years they have played with very young kids Willingham hada great class the one of Brady Quinn but after that there was nothing specially when you have to play MIchigan ,USC ,BC,Penn ST. just some of the teams they played last couple years but hey no worries lets see what he can do with his guys this year.

Electus Unus
08-07-2009, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by ***-82
Right !! I like that hey lets see what the man can do with his recruits this year last couple of years they have played with very young kids Willingham hada great class the one of Brady Quinn but after that there was nothing specially when you have to play MIchigan ,USC ,BC,Penn ST. just some of the teams they played last couple years but hey no worries lets see what he can do with his guys this year. it sure is tough to beat navy and syracuse

WTF-82
08-07-2009, 11:44 PM
it sure is tough to beat navy and syracuse

Right !!!thats what I say every year when Texas beats Rice and La Monroe , Fla Atlantic,Baylor,UTEP but hey I wont forget about the power house rivalry game with A&M who beat Army by 2 a year ago. Look same thing goes in the Big 12 and you know it I proved it in the Bowl games when the Big 12 south won 1 bowl game and that one was UT in a thriller against OHIO ST. But hey I wont argue anymore lets just see how the season goes no worries if ND wins 10 games they will play in a big bowl game and get a chance to prove if they deserve to be in the top standings in the last poll of the year.

JasperDog94
08-08-2009, 04:20 PM
But hey I wont argue anymore lets just see how the season goes no worries if ND wins 10 games they will play in a big bowl game and get a chance to prove if they deserve to be in the top standings in the last poll of the year. One would think that ND fans might get tired of being over-hyped and getting thrashed in a bowl game they have no business being in. I guess that impressive win over Hawaii that broke a streak of numerous bowl losses (how many was it anyway...8...9...) makes them think they can once again hang with the big boys.

Electus Unus
08-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Right !!!thats what I say every year when Texas beats Rice and La Monroe , Fla Atlantic,Baylor,UTEP but hey I wont forget about the power house rivalry game with A&M who beat Army by 2 a year ago. Look same thing goes in the Big 12 and you know it I proved it in the Bowl games when the Big 12 south won 1 bowl game and that one was UT in a thriller against OHIO ST. But hey I wont argue anymore lets just see how the season goes no worries if ND wins 10 games they will play in a big bowl game and get a chance to prove if they deserve to be in the top standings in the last poll of the year. so why should a 10-2 ND team get in over a 12-0 or 11-1 mid major in that instance? ND will get blown out if they make a BCS bowl and that is a fact.

Electus Unus
08-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
One would think that ND fans might get tired of being over-hyped and getting thrashed in a bowl game they have no business being in. I guess that impressive win over Hawaii that broke a streak of numerous bowl losses (how many was it anyway...8...9...) makes them think they can once again hang with the big boys. 15 years i believe...1994 was the last time If i'm not mistaken

JasperDog94
08-08-2009, 04:29 PM
15 years i believe...1994 was the last time If i'm not mistaken Were they in a bowl every year? Either way it was a long streak.

Electus Unus
08-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Colorado
Buffalos January 1995
Attendance: 73,968 Fiesta Bowl
Tempe, Arizona L, 24-41

Florida State
Seminoles January 1996
Attendance: 72,198 Orange Bowl
Miami, Florida L, 26-31

LSU
Tigers December 1997
Attendance: 50,459 Independence Bowl
Shreveport, Louisiana L, 9-27

Georgia Tech
Yellow Jackets January 1999
Attendance: 70,791 Gator Bowl
Jacksonville, Florida L, 28-35

Oregon State
Beavers January 2001
Attendance: 75,428 Fiesta Bowl
Tempe, Arizona L, 9-41

NC State
Wolfpack January 2003
Attendance: 73,491 Gator Bowl
Jacksonville, Florida L, 6-28

Oregon State
Beavers December 2004
Attendance: 45,917 Insight.com Bowl
Phoenix, Arizona L, 21-38

Ohio State
Buckeyes January 2006
Attendance: 76,196 Fiesta Bowl
Tempe, Arizona L, 34-20

LSU
Tigers January 2007
Attendance: 77,781 Sugar Bowl
Tempe, Arizona L, 41-14

last bowl win prior to hawaii was Texas A&M.

wildstangs
08-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Notre Dame needs to join a conference like everyone else. They get to go to BCS bowls that they obviously don't deserve to be in.

JasperDog94
08-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Notre Dame needs to join a conference like everyone else. They get to go to BCS bowls that they obviously don't deserve to be in. There's even a special clause for ND in the BCS team selection process.