PDA

View Full Version : RIP John Hughes

piratebg
08-06-2009, 04:50 PM
http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org/3980s-teen-flick-director-john-hughes-dies-in-nyc

'80s teen flick director John Hughes dies in NYC
Source: AP 35 minutes ago

NEW YORK - A spokeswoman for John Hughes says the director of 1980s coming-of-age films like "Sixteen Candles" and "The Breakfast Club" has died in Manhattan.

Michelle Bega says the 59-year-old Hughes died of a heart attack during a morning walk. He was in Manhattan to visit family.

He made a teen star of Molly Ringwald with 1984's "Sixteen Candles" about a girl's nightmarish birthday on the eve of her sister's wedding.

Ringwald also starred in "The Breakfast Club," about a group of high school misfits during Saturday detention, and "Pretty in Pink."

Hughes also directed "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" and wrote "Home Alone." He lived in Illinois and set many of his films in the Chicago area.

BuffyMars
08-06-2009, 04:51 PM
dang! so young! pop culture icon right there! :(

BreckTxLonghorn
08-06-2009, 04:54 PM
There goes my hopes of Breakfast Club II: Brunch Club.

piratebg
08-06-2009, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
There goes my hopes of Breakfast Club II: Brunch Club.

Don't forget Pretty In Pink II: Duckie Strikes Back. ;)

BreckTxLonghorn
08-06-2009, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
Don't forget Pretty In Pink II: Duckie Strikes Back. ;)

What about Ferris Bueller's Laid Off?

Maroon87
08-06-2009, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
What about Ferris Bueller's Laid Off?

Or 116 Candles?

DDBooger
08-06-2009, 05:27 PM
dude, this to me is bigger than MJ's passing. This guy's stuff was legendary.

piratebg
08-06-2009, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
dude, this to me is bigger than MJ's passing. This guy's stuff was legendary.

Too true. When I was kid I never wanted to grow up to be Michael Jackson. I did, however, want to be Ferris Bueller or have a computer that would spit out a very hot Kelly Lebrock. :D

BreckTxLonghorn
08-06-2009, 05:37 PM
Have you checked his IMDB?

Dude wrote all five of the Beethoven movies - I didn't even know Beethoven had a fifth!

Will always be remembered fondly by me for creating 'Vacation!' the greatest movie of all time.

Maroon87
08-06-2009, 05:38 PM
This guy's stuff was legendary.

Yes it was. He created much of the backdrop to my high school years....:(

BuffyMars
08-06-2009, 06:14 PM
i love the sequels, they made me lol.

and vacation is THE SINGULAR GREATEST national lampoons movie. yes better than animal house.

pirate4state
08-07-2009, 11:22 AM
dude, this to me is bigger than MJ's passing. This guy's stuff was legendary. +1 - I watched The Breakfast Club last night in his honor. Was there a better character than John Bender?

"Don't you ever talk about my friends. You don't know any of my friends. You don't look at any of my friends. And you certainly wouldn't condescend to speak to any of my friends. So you just stick to the things you know: shopping, nail polish, your father's BMW, and your poor, rich drunk mother in the Caribbean."

:D

DaHop72
08-07-2009, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
i love the sequels, they made me lol.

and vacation is THE SINGULAR GREATEST national lampoons movie. yes better than animal house. :tisk: :tisk: :tisk: :tisk: