PDA

View Full Version : Two a day Football

hookandladder
08-04-2009, 07:18 PM
Just curious how other 3A schools practice two a days for Freshmen, in La Grange our freshmen practice once a day for 1 1/2 hrs., is this normal for other schools. This does not seem normal to me, what can you get done in 90 minutes with 50 players.

orange machine
08-04-2009, 07:23 PM
I have never seen that, sounds like the freshmen are getting shafted.

maestro
08-04-2009, 07:28 PM
is this a separate workout with all coaches??

or just frosh coaches??

if all coaches are involved.....a good workout can be had.

IMO it sounds like the head coach is being cautious about maybe running off a group that may be " wondering about still being on summer break" ??

when school begins, it should all even out....

jambo67
08-04-2009, 07:50 PM
What you can get done in 90 minutes aint the question. It's what you can make happen in 4.5 or less.

trojan37
08-05-2009, 12:23 AM
West does a practice in the morning for the freshmen, I think about a 2 to 2 and a half hour practice, then the J.V. and Varsity kick in in the afternoon for about a 4 hour practice, that's after hitting the weights.

hookandladder
08-05-2009, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by maestro
is this a separate workout with all coaches??

or just frosh coaches??

if all coaches are involved.....a good workout can be had.

IMO it sounds like the head coach is being cautious about maybe running off a group that may be " wondering about still being on summer break" ??

when school begins, it should all even out....

All Teams V,JV and Freshmen start practice at 4:00 pm, after doing their stretching I would say they workout for about an hour. This includes water breaks,would really like to hear what Bellville, Sealy, Columbus, Giddings and Smithville freshmen are doing in their practices.

87 TIGER
08-05-2009, 08:10 AM
our freshman work just about the same as jv/v. 7-9 then 10-12 in the morning.The fresh. hit the weights about 30 mins before jv/v so they will be out of there before varsity gets in.

Bulligator
08-05-2009, 08:33 AM
The rumor around town is that they loaded all the Bellville players on yellow dogs and left town. No one’s heard from any of them yet. Word is that new Coach Foster took ‘em all out to a place called Raccoon Bend near the oil field. Some of the neighbors have said they’ve heard some hoopin’ and hollering going on down by the Brazos, along with seeing a lot of dust. They’re supposed to be back by Saturday night for a scrimmage. I don’t think Huey would have done it that way. ;)

hookandladder
08-05-2009, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by 87 TIGER
our freshman work just about the same as jv/v. 7-9 then 10-12 in the morning.The fresh. hit the weights about 30 mins before jv/v so they will be out of there before varsity gets in.

No weights for our freshmen, 1 1/2 practice and then head home. Seems to me they should be working out the same time as Varsity and JV, hard for me to understand their workout schedule but I do not know much about football workouts. Maybe they do not want to burn them out like they do in baseball, just trying to break them in slowly however you can tell that some of them are bored at practice. Maybe just not enough coaches to work the freshmen practice as well as Varsity and JV.

Pudlugger
08-05-2009, 09:15 AM
Is it a problem with not enough coaches? How many freshman and jv/varsity are there this year? Seems to me the freshman need to be hitting the weights if they want to play ball with the big boys next year.

hookandladder
08-05-2009, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Is it a problem with not enough coaches? How many freshman and jv/varsity are there this year? Seems to me the freshman need to be hitting the weights if they want to play ball with the big boys next year.

Do not know for sure on #'s, do know there is about 50 freshmen out and a total of about 150 to 160 with Freshmen, JV and Varsity. No weights right now maybe when they start school, pretty easy practice right now when you only practice for 90 minutes.

allforball
08-05-2009, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by hookandladder
All Teams V,JV and Freshmen start practice at 4:00 pm, after doing their stretching I would say they workout for about an hour. This includes water breaks,would really like to hear what Bellville, Sealy, Columbus, Giddings and Smithville freshmen are doing in their practices.

I would guess Sealy, Columbus and Bellville are not working out their freshman for only an 1 1/2 hours. They have a pretty talented bunch and are probably working the Freshman with the JV and Varsity to continue to build there program for the years to come.

mwynn05
08-05-2009, 10:59 AM
i love how people get on here and bash what the coaches are doing when they admittedly dont know what they are talking about....i would bet they dont really have enough coaches

hookandladder
08-05-2009, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by mwynn05
i love how people get on here and bash what the coaches are doing when they admittedly dont know what they are talking about....i would bet they dont really have enough coaches

Not bashing the coaches at all, just would like to know how other schools handle their freshmen team. Do other schools only practice there frshmen once a day for 90 minutes, there is no bashing intended. If this is normal then I have no problem, so you think because we do not have enough coaches is why the freshmen only practice 90 minutes once a day. Just asking.

trg
08-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Bulligator
The rumor around town is that they loaded all the Bellville players on yellow dogs and left town. No one’s heard from any of them yet. Word is that new Coach Foster took ‘em all out to a place called Raccoon Bend near the oil field. Some of the neighbors have said they’ve heard some hoopin’ and hollering going on down by the Brazos, along with seeing a lot of dust. They’re supposed to be back by Saturday night for a scrimmage. I don’t think Huey would have done it that way. ;)

Love it. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Texas Cougar
08-05-2009, 01:56 PM
In China Spring, Freshman, JV and Varsity work out from 1:00 to 4:00 and then Freshman are done. JV and Varsity have 1 1/2 hour break and then back on the field from 5:30 till 8:00.

bvillebrahma010
08-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Bulligator

yeah, my son left monday night. only heard from him once! said practices are great, he LOVES foster, and they are ready for anyone! he said 5 hours of practice is starting to get nice! they are getting used to it, but he says it stinks in the bend! updates to come!:p

BuckeyeNut
08-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Just curious how other 3A schools practice two a days for Freshmen, in La Grange our freshmen practice once a day for 1 1/2 hrs., is this normal for other schools. This does not seem normal to me, what can you get done in 90 minutes with 50 players.

My son is a Freshman this year in Gilmer and he goes at 8 until 11:30 with all the coaches. Everyday then the coaches ask some to come back at 6-8

SHSBulldog00
08-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Be back later going to check out the Dogs. Third workout today as usual.

crabman
08-06-2009, 10:40 PM
I believe Cuero works out everyone, freshman-JV-Varsity, in the morning from 8-10 and JV and Varsity come back in the afternoon from 5-7. I could be off on the times a bit but that is the general time and arrangement. Freshman once a day. Others twice a day.

TRENCHES06
08-06-2009, 10:51 PM
I'm guessing that Cuero is pretty good ;)...........

hookandladder
08-07-2009, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by mwynn05

After watching a couple of full practices from Freshmen to Varsity, in 2 a days there seems to be a lack of enough coaches during practice. I would assume this happens at most all schools from 3A down with lack of coaches being available at practice, when you have a large # of kids coming to play. So the question is, is it better to have quailty or quantity in your players at 3A down. Seems like the more players you have the less one on one coaching each player gets.

footballguru
08-07-2009, 08:52 AM
In my opinion quantity is what you want in the lower grades. Sometimes a kid who did not mature early jumps a head of a kid who was a stud early and then never developes. I have to think that some of the better kids athletically end up not playing football due to excelling in other sports and if you where to downsize the classes early you could miss out on a kid. I have seen where parents make such a fuss over their "star" not getting the one on one attention like they do in their own backyard that they drive themselves crazy.

Rocket Dad
08-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Robinson Fresh.- Practice is 2 hours per day with all coaches. Lift weights every other day.

mwynn05
08-07-2009, 01:07 PM
After watching a couple of full practices from Freshmen to Varsity, in 2 a days there seems to be a lack of enough coaches during practice. I would assume this happens at most all schools from 3A down with lack of coaches being available at practice, when you have a large # of kids coming to play. So the question is, is it better to have quailty or quantity in your players at 3A down. Seems like the more players you have the less one on one coaching each player gets. to be honest it depends on how good they are lol