PDA

View Full Version : Pet Insurance

BreckTxLonghorn
08-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Does anyone have it? How much do you pay per month if so?

Thinking about getting a dog or two, and while I can afford them, don't know if I could if something bad happened and one needed surgery. At the same time, I've heard horror stories on pet insurance.

Thoughts?

Phil C
08-04-2009, 03:33 PM
I thought about getting one on my cat if I could get a lifetime same rate but they said it went up every year and after a couple of years when you probably really needed it it would have been most expensive. :(

BobcatBenny
08-04-2009, 05:20 PM
I personally think the government should pay for my pet's health care. So I wouldn't pay a dime for pet insurance.

vet93
08-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Pet Insurance is a good deal if you want optimal care for your pet. There are some pitfalls of course,
1. There are generally lifetime limits...so some chronic diseases or problems may max out your coverage.
2. It is cheapest (just like humans) when the dog is young and increases with age.
3. Read the fine print. Most policies will not cover certain diseases that may be common to a particular breed or size of dog.
4. Pre-existing diseases are generally not covered.
5. Some companies are fly-by-night and won't be around next month or year.
6. Some coverages are predicated on you maintaining good preventative health care (vaccinations, heartworm prevention, deworming, annual exams and teeth cleaning).

The main advantages are being able to afford some treatments that would be beyond your means to pay if not for insurance and the peace of mind knowing that you are covered. some companies will also pay part of your preventative health needs by adding a small dollar amount to your policy each year. They do this as an incentive to get you to do the preventative care which will greatly help quality of life and lifespan. Costs will vary according to Insurance Company, age of animal, deductible, preventative care opted for and number of animals insured. Do your homework and good luck. Vet93

BreckTxLonghorn
08-05-2009, 09:54 AM
Thanks, Vet. Solid info.

Rabid Cougar
08-05-2009, 12:13 PM
.22 cal.

About 2 cents an animal.
Lifetime warranty.
None descriminatory.
Rates never go up.

Blackcat1954
08-05-2009, 03:56 PM
We just bought a 8 Week old Jack Russell Terrior female from Hallettsville for $75 which is a good deal.

Doubt we will buy pet insurance-She will be an outside dog

BEAST
08-05-2009, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
.22 cal.

About 2 cents an animal.
Lifetime warranty.
None descriminatory.
Rates never go up.

+1.

BEAST