PDA

View Full Version : Houston Chronicle 3A area football preview

duckhunter
08-04-2009, 10:17 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/hso/6559563.html

Bull's-eye
08-04-2009, 11:33 AM
They left out Sealy, I think they should be in the mix.

Pudlugger
08-04-2009, 11:36 AM
Nice article about Bellville and Giddings in d25 3a. Also mentions the big game between Sealy and La Grange in week 10. The district race could be very tight this year as there is not a lot of daylight between these teams. Whoever doesn't screw up should come out on top.

HEMOTOXIC
08-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Wow, no mention of Navasota at all. I understand that Navasota is the only team in their district that is within the Houston area, but to not even mention the #22 team in the state is very "Chronicle like" doing a poor job.

Pudlugger
08-04-2009, 01:08 PM
I agree the Rattlers got snubbed by the Commiekal.

MJMbrahmas10
08-04-2009, 01:39 PM
any word from giddings on if masek and plumlee are playin

maestro
08-04-2009, 04:35 PM
chronicle has really gone houston area 4a-5a route..

having said that, they did give rice consolidated great coverage monday and gave 26-3a good coverage today. asking them to actually branch out??? ain't going to happen...

HEMOTOXIC
08-04-2009, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by maestro
chronicle has really gone houston area 4a-5a route..

having said that, they did give rice consolidated great coverage monday and gave 26-3a good coverage today. asking them to actually branch out??? ain't going to happen...

I hear what you are saying, but they have always covered Navasota. It takes approx 40-45 min to get to North Houston from Navasota. Not sure if that would be "branching out". The Post did a far better job than the Chronicle has ever done.

maestro
08-04-2009, 07:25 PM
chronicle takes game stats on EVERYONE...but when it comes to below 4a hisd.....top 5 3a's and 2a's get their names listed in " top 5 " list ....but not much " paper copy " coverage...

my advice....hope that navasota can have a fast start......then the chronicle will take notice.

HEMOTOXIC
08-04-2009, 07:47 PM
:D Sir, with all do respect, I understand what it takes to be covered in a newspaper. Point blank, the Chronicle does a poor job. I seriously doubt that Sweeny, Cleveland, Royal, or Needville is better than Navasota or Sealy for that matter. What Im saying is that this is poor coverage on behalf of the Chronicle. Navasota ended last season as the top team in the Houston area for 3A & under. Either you are in the Houston area or not. One week you are the next week you aren't. This year the Rattlers come in ranked #22 in the state. Only Bellville is ranked higher in 3A in the Houston area and no mention by the Chronicle. IT STINKS! :doh:

HEMOTOXIC
08-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Anyways, Bellville will be tough, and I do agree that they deserve the top spot in the area. I can't wait to week 3 when the Rattlers travel to Bellville. That Giddings v. Bellville game will be good as will the Bellville v. Sealy, as usual.

Bull's-eye
08-04-2009, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by HEMOTOXIC
:D Sir, with all do respect, I understand what it takes to be covered in a newspaper. Point blank, the Chronicle does a poor job. I seriously doubt that Sweeny, Cleveland, Royal, or Needville is better than Navasota or Sealy for that matter. What Im saying is that this is poor coverage on behalf of the Chronicle. Navasota ended last season as the top team in the Houston area for 3A & under. Either you are in the Houston area or not. One week you are the next week you aren't. This year the Rattlers come in ranked #22 in the state. Only Bellville is ranked higher in 3A in the Houston area and no mention by the Chronicle. IT STINKS! :doh:

I agree, they do a poor job of covering teams, especially 3A and smaller. Last season, I sent them several emails regarding their rankings. I told them to get on 3A Down Low, if they needed info on the local 3A teams.

maestro
08-04-2009, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by HEMOTOXIC

agree....

AggiesAreWe
08-04-2009, 08:58 PM
What I found funny about the article is that they listed the Silsbee-WOS game as a key game for the area but fail to list either team in the top 5 list and did not mention their top players who are ranked much higher on the recruiting services than those that they listed.

Silsbee's Jeremy Johnson is rated the #8 QB in the nation and WOS's Trey Franks and James Haynes are higher on the recruiting lists than the ones mentioned in the article.

It's like you said Hemo, either you are in or you are out.

HEMOTOXIC
08-04-2009, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by AggiesAreWe
What I found funny about the article is that they listed the Silsbee-WOS game as a key game for the area but fail to list either team in the top 5 list and did not mention their top players who are ranked much higher on the recruiting services than those that they listed.

Silsbee's Jeremy Johnson is rated the #8 QB in the nation and WOS's Trey Franks and James Haynes are higher on the recruiting lists than the ones mentioned in the article.

It's like you said Hemo, either you are in or you are out.

Hey, all you guys are right. Maybe they do need to get on the board if they need info.

zebrablue2
08-04-2009, 09:46 PM
its what have you done as of late. bellville-giddings, reg. final last yr., lets cover those 2 teams... now its on to 4 and 5a which is what they really want to cover anyhow.

HEMOTOXIC
08-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
its what have you done as of late. bellville-giddings, reg. final last yr., lets cover those 2 teams... now its on to 4 and 5a which is what they really want to cover anyhow.

True.

Brahma84
08-04-2009, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by MJMbrahmas10
any word from giddings on if masek and plumlee are playin

This was on the Lee County Live site.

The Buffs began today without either of last year's quarterbacks. Seniors Trey Masek and Rush Plumlee made the decision this summer to concentrate on baseball.

The coaching staff is looking to transfer student, quarterback Conner Wehr for new leadership on offense. Wehr, a 6'2", 203 lb. senior, is transferring in from Magnolia High School as his family moves to the Giddings area. Wehr joins the Buffaloes, and his cousin linebacker Colby Wollin, to prepare for their August 28th season opener at Liberty Hill.

Wehr worked from the quarterback position this afternoon trying to get "in sync" with each of his receivers and adjust to the new offense. The former Bulldog brings a strong and accurate arm to the team, an asset that is expected to add to the already powerful running game for which the Buffs have become known.

HEMOTOXIC
08-05-2009, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Brahma84
This was on the Lee County Live site.

The Buffs began today without either of last year's quarterbacks. Seniors Trey Masek and Rush Plumlee made the decision this summer to concentrate on baseball.

The coaching staff is looking to transfer student, quarterback Conner Wehr for new leadership on offense. Wehr, a 6'2", 203 lb. senior, is transferring in from Magnolia High School as his family moves to the Giddings area. Wehr joins the Buffaloes, and his cousin linebacker Colby Wollin, to prepare for their August 28th season opener at Liberty Hill.

Wehr worked from the quarterback position this afternoon trying to get "in sync" with each of his receivers and adjust to the new offense. The former Bulldog brings a strong and accurate arm to the team, an asset that is expected to add to the already powerful running game for which the Buffs have become known.

Interesting.:thinking: