PDA

View Full Version : Here's the deal.

BEAST
08-03-2009, 11:03 PM
Everybody is (that's a no-no....RM) over how Graham was young and how good they are gonna be. Here's a bit of insight. The Wood started 10 sophs last year and 1 fish. Mark it down and chissel it in stone. We are gonna be a force this year. With all those underclassmen on V, our JV still dominated pretty much everyone. It's time. We coming.

BEAST

injuredinmelee
08-03-2009, 11:14 PM
same words as last year just in a different order... led ya to 3-7. Different system and terminology in place. What do you predict will happen?

pirate4state
08-03-2009, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
Everybody is (no-no...RM) over how Graham was young and how good they are gonna be. Here's a bit of insight. The Wood started 10 sophs last year and 1 fish. Mark it down and chissel it in stone. We are gonna be a force this year. With all those underclassmen on V, our JV still dominated pretty much everyone. It's time. We coming.

BEAST

Cool. Can't wait. Really. :thumbsup:

RedWhiteBlue
08-04-2009, 11:12 AM
Everybody is **** over how Graham was young and how good they are gonna be. Here's a bit of insight. The Wood started 10 sophs last year and 1 fish. Mark it down and chissel it in stone. We are gonna be a force this year. With all those underclassmen on V, our JV still dominated pretty much everyone. It's time. We coming.

BEAST
Thats funny.... I haven't heard a whole lot of "****" as you call it about Graham....:confused: All I have heard is a whole lot of the same people from 'The Wood' running their heads just like they did last year about "being a force".:rolleyes:
I think it is time to shut up and put up.

jason
08-04-2009, 11:22 AM
just because a team stinks with a bunch of young kids doesn't mean a year later those same kids are miraculously going to be able to go 10-0....

they are still the same kids that stunk the year before....

if you have a jar of bad mayonnaise in your refrigerator and you leave it in there - one year later, it is still gonna be bad.....

GetRDoneStangs
08-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
Thats funny.... I haven't heard a whole lot of "jizzing" as you call it about Graham....:confused: All I have heard is a whole lot of the same people from 'The Wood' running their heads just like they did last year about "being a force".:rolleyes:
I think it is time to shut up and put up.

:eek: :eek: :clap: :clap:

Think Graham will definitely be a force this year, time will tell. Teams in 2-3A better not overllook them.

Eagle 1
08-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by jason
just because a team stinks with a bunch of young kids doesn't mean a year later those same kids are miraculously going to be able to go 10-0....

if you have a jar of bad mayonnaise in your refrigerator and you leave it in there - one year later, it is still gonna be bad.....

Wow....I hope the mods just dont let that one go by the wayside.:rolleyes:

BEAST
08-04-2009, 11:50 AM

Odd that you cant figure out the answer to your own little riddle. Unlike mayo, humans mature with age. Bigger, stronger, faster, and smarter. I guess the smarter thing passed you by.

BEAST

TheDOCTORdre
08-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Odd that you cant figure out the question to your own little riddle. Unlike mayo, humans mature with age. Bigger, stronger, faster, and smarter. I guess the smarter thing past you by.
BEAST

thats not always true

Electus Unus
08-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Poor Brownwood....since people aren't talking about them they have to compare themself to a team people are talking about. lol

rockdale80
08-04-2009, 11:52 AM
Odd that you cant figure out the answer to your own little riddle. Unlike mayo, humans mature with age. Bigger, stronger, faster, and smarter. I guess the smarter thing passed you by.

BEAST

past or passed?

Funny to err like that when gauging the intelligence of another.

waterboy
08-04-2009, 12:00 PM
Actually, I think he used the right word in the context of the sentence.:nerd: I could be wrong, though....;)

44INAROW
08-04-2009, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
past or passed?

Funny to err like that when gauging the intelligence of another.

past and passed are commonly mistaken. When I get back from lunch, I'll do a complete diagram if you like - ie - verb or participle or past-participle. very complicated...

44INAROW
08-04-2009, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
Actually, I think he used the right word in the context of the sentence.:nerd: I could be wrong, though....;)

GMTA....

BILLYFRED0000
08-04-2009, 12:26 PM
Celina was very young last year as well. We had lost 22 Seniors the year before. Last year quite a few sophs and juniors were playing.

rockdale80
08-04-2009, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
GMTA....

Ok. I remember the rule "you may have "passed the time", but you have never "past the time." See below.

Passed – a verb in the past tense
Passed is the past participle of the verb “to pass”. It can be an intransitive verb (one which doesn’t require an object) or a transitive verb (one which requires both a subject and one or more objects).

“To pass” means “To proceed, move forward, depart; to cause to do this.” (OED) This can refer to movement forwards in time, in space, or in life (such as “to pass an examination”).

For example:

•“The weeks passed quickly.” (Intransitive: subject “the weeks” and no object).
•“I passed all my exams!” (Transitive: subject “I” and object “my exams”.)
•“He passed the ball well during the match earlier.” (Transitive: subject “He” and object “the ball”.)

Past – relates to location
The word past locates something in time, and sometimes in space. It can be
used as an adjective, noun, or adverb.

“Past” as an adjective

The first definition which the OED gives for past as an adjective is “Gone by in time; elapsed; done with; over.” For example:

•“The days for mourning are now past.”
When attributed to a group of people, past can also mean “Having served one’s term of office; former.” (OED)

•“All past presidents of the United States were male.”
And in grammar, we have more examples of past being used as an adjective, such as in “past tense” and “past participle”.

“Past” as a noun

The main meaning for the noun form of past, given by the OED, is “The time that has gone by; a time, or all of the time, before the present.”

•“In the past, standards were higher.”
•“We cannot live in the past.”
“Past” as a preposition

As a preposition, past can mean: “Beyond in time; after; beyond the age for or time of; (in stating the time of day) so many minutes, or a quarter or half of an hour, after a particular hour.” (OED)

•“It is almost half past five.”
It can also be used for location: “Beyond in place; further on than; at or on the further side of; to a point beyond.” (OED)

•“My house is the one just past the turning.”
“Past” as an adverb

The first meaning the OED cites for past being used as an adverb is “So as to pass or go by; by.” For example:

•“The ball sped past the goalkeeper.”

STANG RED
08-04-2009, 12:42 PM
I have no doubt Tha Woods defense will be much better. It almost couldnt help but be much better. We shall see.
But my question is the offense. Lots of weapons were lost from what might have been the best offense in the state last year. Those guys are gone,,,,,,,,who will fill those shoes? BIG???????
Also, new coaches and new philosiphies seldom take hold quickly. It nearly always takes wholesale changes a couple years or longer to take full effect. While I'm sure Brownwood will be better as a whole than last year, They have tons to prove before anyone outside of Tha Wood is going to believe. At the moment, I see them being 6-4, or may 7-3 at best during the season. 3 to 4 rounds in the playoffs, IF (BIG IF) they make the playoffs.

Graham on the other hand was a very good football team by the end of last season, and most of their outstanding weapons returning. Its very easy for me to see why people are high on Graham. In fact, I believe they will be tops in the district this season. But I see onehelluva drought coming after that. Graduation and losing great coaching will kill them after this season, so they almost have to get it done in this little one season window.

I see Sweetwater and Snyder having to rebuild some this season, but wouldnt count either out. Both teams will put solid squads on the field every week, and will make you pay severely for overlooking them. And I honestly believe Breck will be a solid team this season as well. They could easily be the spoiler in the whole mess. Overlook Breck to your peril.

Wylie? Well hell their Wylie. nuff said!

gibby
08-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
past and passed are commonly mistaken. When I get back from lunch, I'll do a complete diagram if you like - ie - verb or participle or past-participle. very complicated...

Wylie will play what they got and do well. Think I just passed gas.

BEAST
08-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I have no doubt Tha Woods defense will be much better. It almost couldnt help but be much better. We shall see.
But my question is the offense. Lots of weapons were lost from what might have been the best offense in the state last year. Those guys are gone,,,,,,,,who will fill those shoes? BIG???????
Also, new coaches and new philosiphies seldom take hold quickly. It nearly always takes wholesale changes a couple years or longer to take full effect. While I'm sure Brownwood will be better as a whole than last year, They have tons to prove before anyone outside of Tha Wood is going to believe. At the moment, I see them being 6-4, or may 7-3 at best during the season. 3 to 4 rounds in the playoffs, IF (BIG IF) they make the playoffs.

Graham on the other hand was a very good football team by the end of last season, and most of their outstanding weapons returning. Its very easy for me to see why people are high on Graham. In fact, I believe they will be tops in the district this season. But I see onehelluva drought coming after that. Graduation and losing great coaching will kill them after this season, so they almost have to get it done in this little one season window.

I see Sweetwater and Snyder having to rebuild some this season, but wouldnt count either out. Both teams will put solid squads on the field every week, and will make you pay severely for overlooking them. And I honestly believe Breck will be a solid team this season as well. They could easily be the spoiler in the whole mess. Overlook Breck to your peril.

Wylie? Well hell their Wylie. nuff said!

The offensive scheme and philosophy really didnt change. As for the play makers, we lost Qb Casey Pachall, you will soon meet Graylon Brown. We lost recievers Parker Taylor and Shelby Miller, you will soon learn the names Jaxon Shipley and Luke Chastain. We lost slot reciever, Travis Hollaman. Enter Vance Mcshan. Last year we didnt really have a steady running back. Now you will hear the names Stehl Ratliff, Levi Perez, and Tyler Harth.

As for the defense, I just watched an hour long defense session. We are much better on that side of the ball. I realize it would have been hard not to be but our defense is going to be good. Time will tell, but trust me, we will be there trading punches with anybody.

BEAST

44INAROW
08-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by gibby
Wylie will play what they got and do well. Think I just passed gas.

actually, it would be;
Wylie will play what they have and do well. :D :D (just having fun)

CRAPOLA it's HOT.............

ok back to the subject at hand ;)

gibby
08-04-2009, 01:13 PM
The offensive scheme and philosophy really didnt change. As for the play makers, we lost Qb Casey Pachall, you will soon meet Graylon Brown. We lost recievers Parker Taylor and Shelby Miller, you will soon learn the names Jaxon Shipley and Luke Chastain. We lost slot reciever, Travis Hollaman. Enter Vance Mcshan. Last year we didnt really have a steady running back. Now you will hear the names Stehl Ratliff, Levi Perez, and Tyler Harth.

As for the defense, I just watched an hour long defense session. We are much better on that side of the ball. I realize it would have been hard not to be but our defense is going to be good. Time will tell, but trust me, we will be there trading punches with anybody.

BEAST

That is the tude that wins games. Can't wait for the matchup!

OldBison75
08-04-2009, 01:16 PM
It's amazing to me that when everyone talks about the new Brownwood system, the focus is always about the offense and it keeps getting said that the defense can only get better. The new coaching staff has a history of building above average defense teams and I bet that will be the case again. I guarantee that they will be more aggressive and tackle better.

The offense lost some weapons and they will soon be showing alot of new faces that got plenty of playing experience and a year of maturity. They might not score quite as many points as last year, but they will put up enough.

Just remember--if they improve the defense to the point of giving up an average of 10 points per game and keep the offense clicking with regularity, they win abour 6 more games. I still predict that they will have only one loss this year before the playoffs.

Oh, I'm not from Brownwood, have no Brownwood ties, and only make my predictions based on my own observations.

STANG RED
08-04-2009, 01:21 PM

BEAST

How ever it goes, It ought to be a great year of football in this district. This year might be what we were expecting last year, only better. Now that Graham has stepped up, and Breck being much improved, I dont see a single week where anyone can afford to take a breather. Everybody better come ready to play some serious football every week. I can hardly wait.

DaHop72
08-04-2009, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75

Just remember--if they improve the defense to the point of giving up an average of 10 points per game and keep the offense clicking with regularity, they win abour 6 more games. I still predict that they will have only one loss this year before the playoffs.

I think if you look at most teams in that district, if they only gave an avg. of 10 points per game it would probably give most of them more wins. Under the 10 point scenerio the Tigers would have been 11-1 going into the regional finals.

WildTexan972
08-04-2009, 02:21 PM

the Wood = mayonnaise......now that is funny

so can we now admit that Gilmer = mustard?

Pick6
08-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by WildTexan972

Yeah, and Celina is the weiner in the middle

waterboy
08-04-2009, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by WildTexan972

Yeah........mustard stays good for a LONG time! I've never seen mustard spoil.......:D Maybe we'll finally get to meet those kitty cats again....;)

RedWhiteBlue
08-04-2009, 02:37 PM
I don't agree.... we have an awesome group of athletes amongst our sophomores and freshman. And whats up with your talk about our coaches? Never mind.... we aren't even in to 2009 and you are started on the 2010 season- you guys kill me... :rolleyes: Next thing we know 'The Wood' will be calling that 3A State Championship theirs already, too...:D

Ex-Tiger2005
08-04-2009, 02:48 PM
How ever it goes, It ought to be a great year of football in this district. This year might be what we were expecting last year, only better. Now that Graham has stepped up, and Breck being much improved, I dont see a single week where anyone can afford to take a breather. Everybody better come ready to play some serious football every week. I can hardly wait.

Every week in district will be a must win IMO! It will be an awesome year!

BwdLions
08-04-2009, 02:53 PM

How has Graham stepped it up? That is yet to be seen.

BwdLions
08-04-2009, 03:02 PM
The bottom line is Brownwood should be much improved this year. For those of you that want to get your shots in based on what happened in 2008, go ahead and have your fun. We're confident.

Sweetwater Red
08-04-2009, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by BwdLions
For those of you that want to get your shots in based on what happened in 2008, go ahead and have your fun.

You think those shots might have something to do with a few
Brownwood posters getting on here and trying to ram it down
everyone's throats about how awesome or what a force "The
Wood" :rolleyes: is going to be, only to see them fall flat on
their faces?

Now here ya'll are again with the same posts, that I am guessing
ya'll just cut and pasted from last year, doing the same thing.

Trust me the shot's will just keep right on coming, even more if
Brownwood struggles and ya'll open up that bag full of excuses....
again.

BwdLions
08-04-2009, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
You think those shots might have something to do with a few
Brownwood posters getting on here and trying to ram it down
everyone's throats about how awesome or what a force "The
Wood" :rolleyes: is going to be, only to see them fall flat on
their faces?

Now here ya'll are again with the same posts, that I am guessing
ya'll just cut and pasted from last year, doing the same thing.

Trust me the shot's will just keep right on coming, even more if
Brownwood struggles and ya'll open up that bag full of excuses....
again.

I think "trying to ram it down everyone's throats" is a little harsh. I just think some of the Lions' posters are a little anxious about the season. After last year's high expectations and the dissapointing finish, I think most of us are trying to put last year behind us. I realize the Lions have to prove it on the field to silence the critics, but there's nothing wrong with a few fans being a little overzealous. They're just excited.

jason
08-04-2009, 03:57 PM
The bottom line is Brownwood should be much improved this year. For those of you that want to get your shots in based on what happened in 2008, go ahead and have your fun. We're confident.

but is improving on 3-7 saying a lot??...

5-5 would be an improvement but that is still only average....

pirate4state
08-04-2009, 04:15 PM
I think "trying to ram it down everyone's throats" is a little harsh. I just think some of the Lions' posters are a little anxious about the season. After last year's high expectations and the dissapointing finish, I think most of us are trying to put last year behind us. I realize the Lions have to prove it on the field to silence the critics, but there's nothing wrong with a few fans being a little overzealous. They're just excited.

As are the Graham fans and honestly I haven't really seen anything that would lead to the necessity of the now edited reference. LOL

BwdLions
08-04-2009, 04:22 PM
but is improving on 3-7 saying a lot??...

5-5 would be an improvement but that is still only average....

I realize that a 5-5 season would be an improvement. However, I said "much improved." The Lions should do better than 5-5. ;)

BwdLions
08-04-2009, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
As are the Graham fans and honestly I haven't really seen anything that would lead to the necessity of the now edited reference. LOL

Of course you haven't. :rolleyes:

grmfan93
08-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Graham was young last year. We started 5 sophs 1 fresh. We also had a total of about 10-15 seniors... The rest juniors that had never played in a varsity game. In my opinion that`s young.

BEAST
08-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by grmfan93
Graham was young last year. We started 5 sophs 1 fresh. We also had a total of about 10-15 seniors... The rest juniors that had never played in a varsity game. In my opinion that`s young.

And Brownwood playing 10 sophs and 1 Fish isnt? Also, with all those young kids on varsity our JV only lost 1 game all year. I think that gives us a reason to think we are going to be pretty good. We will see.

BEAST

TheDOCTORdre
08-04-2009, 04:38 PM
We're confident.

weren't you confident last year...

Emerson1
08-04-2009, 04:47 PM

Rockwall Heath went from going 2-8, 7-3 to 13-1

Trashman
08-04-2009, 05:04 PM
:taunt: :1popcorn: :D

pirate4state
08-04-2009, 06:36 PM
Of course you haven't. :rolleyes:

by all means, point me in the direction of these posts. i'm always interested in reading football related posts. thanks

Eagle 1
08-04-2009, 09:42 PM
The thing that most people seem to be overlooking about Brownwood is they have a new coach. A GOOD COACH, along with alot of tradition.
I'm not from Brownwood, just down the road. Go ahead and get your shots in now, but wait and see what happens. Mark my words they are going to be alot better than last year and will suprise alot of people.;)

ivchris
08-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Well, Brownwood may be the third best team in the district, but Wylie will be #1 and Sweetwater will be #2. Wylie's 2 losses last year were the first two losses this Senior class has had since 7th grade.........and they still were 1 point away from the whole enchilada. Sweetwater is just a traditional football town. Brownwood hasn't been the same since Gordon Wood retired.

Ranger Mom
08-04-2009, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Eagle 1
The thing that most people seem to be overlooking about Brownwood is they have a new coach. A GOOD COACH, along with alot of tradition.
I'm not from Brownwood, just down the road. Go ahead and get your shots in now, but wait and see what happens. Mark my words they are going to be alot better than last year and will suprise alot of people.;)

I,for one, won't be the least bit surprised!

wildstangs
08-04-2009, 10:46 PM
I will go on record as saying that I think Brownwood will be a playoff team this fall. Great new coach (Steve Freeman was no slouch) with a dynamic player (Jaxon Shipley) will make an immediate impact.

One thing that will help Brownwood is that I think Sweetwater and Snyder will be a little down after both enjoyed great seasons last year. Definitely wouldn't be surprised to see either of the two in the second place spot though. I do think Brownwood will beat at least one of them.

For some reason, I'm still not sold on Graham. McCoy is a great player, and he had a ton of youth around him last year, but I don't know if that means much in this district.

Wylie is Wylie. They haven't missed out on a district title in years.

Here is how I see things shaking out.

1. Wylie
2. Brownwood
3. Sweetwater or Snyder winner (again, either one of these could easily be the second place team).
4. Sweetwater or Snyder loser (would be district champion or runner up in many other districts in the state).
5. Graham
6. Breckenridge

BEAST
08-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Brownwood may well be 0-5 heading into district, although I think 4-1. With that said, THE WOOD will hoist the district trophy. Just watch.

BEAST

RedWhiteBlue
08-05-2009, 09:10 AM
Brownwood may well be 0-5 heading into district, although I think 4-1. With that said, THE WOOD will hoist the district trophy. Just watch.

BEAST
Oh, you can hoist a district trophy if you wish- I just don't think it will be the 2-3A Football District Championship version.... Unless, of course, you are presenting it to one of your friendly district rivals...:D

BwdLions
08-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
weren't you confident last year...

Yes. We're confident every year.

BwdLions
08-05-2009, 10:09 AM
It should be a great district race. There are several quality teams in 2-3A. :cool:

RedWhiteBlue
08-05-2009, 10:33 AM
It should be a great district race. There are several quality teams in 2-3A. :cool:
I totally agree with you!!:D