PDA

View Full Version : Wichita Falls Hirschi Complete Football History (1962-2009)

WOS87
08-03-2009, 07:01 PM
http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/thsf/w/wichitafallshirschi.gif

59 out of 177 (33.3%) 3A Team Histories now complete

WOS87
08-03-2009, 07:35 PM
Hirschi is in danger of having their all-time winning percentage drop below 50% for the first time in the history of the program. They're currently only 2 games above 0.500 after 506 total games played.

They were 72 games above 0.500 as recently as the end of 1990

VWG
08-03-2009, 09:59 PM
This used to be one of the best programs in North Central Texas. Always went at least two games deep in the playoffs.... and then it came to a crashing halt. Choice program in WFISD, City View opened up, and things went from bad to worse really quick.

Matthew328
08-03-2009, 10:46 PM
Correct choice hurt bad because just about every stud athlete at Rider or Old High lived in Hirschi's zone.....all their lineman are now at City View...

westcoast54
08-04-2009, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Correct choice hurt bad because just about every stud athlete at Rider or Old High lived in Hirschi's zone.....all their lineman are now at City View...

Cityview has very little to do with Hirschi's problems.

Matthew328
08-04-2009, 03:07 PM
You'd be surprised...Hirschi was never known for being real good up front but what little they did have up front came from City View. Everyone I've talked to including the Hirschi HC Neil Searcy and people associated w/Old High and Rider agrees that City View sperating had a horribly negative impact on Hirschi.

When did City View open?? I believe right around 2000 is it coincidence Hirschi's rapid free fall took place around the same time?

Roll'em up
08-04-2009, 05:16 PM
During this latest winning period Hirschi only started two OL from City View that I can recall. The center and the left tackle. They did have several kids from City View, but it isn't where the real talent in the program came from.

westcoast54
08-04-2009, 05:35 PM
You'd be surprised...Hirschi was never known for being real good up front but what little they did have up front came from City View. Everyone I've talked to including the Hirschi HC Neil Searcy and people associated w/Old High and Rider agrees that City View sperating had a horribly negative impact on Hirschi.

When did City View open?? I believe right around 2000 is it coincidence Hirschi's rapid free fall took place around the same time?

Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree. Cityview has 285 kids. If there was no Cityview their 285 students would have to be divided by at least three if not four, counting Burkburnett, because due to choice, they would get to go to whatever school they choose. Not all would choose Hirschi and some would go to Burk.

Now, if all of Cityview decided to go to Hirschi that would present an even more challenging problem. That would put Hirschi's enrollment over 1,000, putting them in 4A. YUCK!

IMHO, CHOICE, is the problem. Our kids are two years behind when we get them as freshmen while everyone else in 5-3A has had their kids in their system for two years already. That's what hurts the most. We can't start building in the 7th grade. We have to wait till their 9th graders.

One last thing...in 2007 Hirschi beat Castleberry 54-43.

Matthew328
08-04-2009, 06:27 PM
I agree choice hurts more than anything. The recruiting that goes on in WF is ridiculous, but I do feel like City View hurts the depth. I was under the impression that majority of City View attended Hirschi, but maybe Coach Searcy was mistaken.

westcoast54
08-04-2009, 07:22 PM
I agree choice hurts more than anything. The recruiting that goes on in WF is ridiculous, but I do feel like City View hurts the depth. I was under the impression that majority of City View attended Hirschi, but maybe Coach Searcy was mistaken.

For a while Cityview students went to either Iowa Park or Hirschi. Then IP stopped taking Cityview transfers and they did all go to Hirschi. However, that was before the choice plan went into affect. I'm not sure what happened but, I know the people from Cityview got into it with the WFISD Supt. at the time which caused them to build their own school. Have know idea what it was about. I personally think Cityview is a diamond in the rough and could be a very successful program.

VWG
08-04-2009, 07:27 PM
And don't think Holliday, Henrietta, and other smaller schools around WF don't have their own "choice" program.

GreenMonster
08-04-2009, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by westcoast54
For a while Cityview students went to either Iowa Park or Hirschi. Then IP stopped taking Cityview transfers and they did all go to Hirschi. However, that was before the choice plan went into affect. I'm not sure what happened but, I know the people from Cityview got into it with the WFISD Supt. at the time which caused them to build their own school. Have know idea what it was about. I personally think Cityview is a diamond in the rough and could be a very successful program. It's turning around westcoast. City View's issues have been getting kids to stay at City View, and it's still a problem, but it's a problem that we are working on. Winning games will cure a lot of that and that's exactly what we intend to make happen. For years City View has won at the jr hi level on talent alone, unfortunately like westcoast has stated that jr hi programs have to be worked just as hard as high school programs in the small school setting for the high school to have success. I'm not sure either of the first two athletic directors at City View recognized this fact and left those kids alone to win on their talent and did little or nothing to cultivate that talent. Because of this lack of vision the kids at City View expected to continue to win on talent alone and did not put in the same preparation as the other teams in our district. This lack of preparation only allowed the other schools to catch up and pass the City View kids and frustrated them because they did not understand why they were getting hammered by kids that they had beaten just a couple of years earlier. So they quit. This has left us playing with freshmen and sophmores for the last couple of seasons. This year we have a Sr class of 10-12 kids that have worked hard for 4 years, a junior class of 10-12 kids that have worked hard for 4 years, and a sophmore class that has worked hard for 4 years. We are catching back up. This will be the first time in my 3 seasons on staff at City View that I can say we really have a varsity football team and I fully expect anywhere from 4 to 8 wins (we'll have see what kind of momentum we can get rolling) out of this group.

GreenMonster
08-04-2009, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by VWG
And don't think Holliday, Henrietta, and other smaller schools around WF don't have their own "choice" program.

Amen to that. With the way schools are being financed these days all schools recruit. It's a fact of life and until Slick Rick and the rest of the state legislators remove their $100 haircuts from their nether regions it will continue to get worse. UIL has turned a blind eye to recruiting of late, especially in WFISD. When Travis Pride left WFHS back in the spring the local sports editor even made a point to include in his article that the main reason Pride was leaving was that he wasn't as good a recruiter as his cross town rival at WF Rider. He put it out there on the front cover of the sports page for all to read and not one eyelash batted at UIL headquarters. He also stated point blank that WFHS's pick to succeed Pride was a veteran recruiter from the Garland ISD. Garland ISD's choice program was the one WFISD modeled their choice program after. I'm not personally sure what I think is worse the recruiting that is actively taking place on an everyday basis or the UIL turning a deaf ear and a blind eye on obvious violations.

westcoast54
08-04-2009, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Amen to that. With the way schools are being financed these days all schools recruit. It's a fact of life and until Slick Rick and the rest of the state legislators remove their $100 haircuts from their nether regions it will continue to get worse. UIL has turned a blind eye to recruiting of late, especially in WFISD. When Travis Pride left WFHS back in the spring the local sports editor even made a point to include in his article that the main reason Pride was leaving was that he wasn't as good a recruiter as his cross town rival at WF Rider. He put it out there on the front cover of the sports page for all to read and not one eyelash batted at UIL headquarters. He also stated point blank that WFHS's pick to succeed Pride was a veteran recruiter from the Garland ISD. Garland ISD's choice program was the one WFISD modeled their choice program after. I'm not personally sure what I think is worse the recruiting that is actively taking place on an everyday basis or the UIL turning a deaf ear and a blind eye on obvious violations.

And he's doing his best to become that in Wichita Falls.

wildstangs
08-04-2009, 10:35 PM
So who controls the middle schools in Wichita Falls? Do the high school football coaches have ANY say on the offense, defense, offseason program, etc?

VWG
08-04-2009, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
So who controls the middle schools in Wichita Falls? Do the high school football coaches have ANY say on the offense, defense, offseason program, etc?

Correct me if I am wrong here, but there are still a majority of kids from McNeil JH that go to Rider, Barwise to Old High, and Kirby to Hirschi.
There is a 4th JH which is Zundy.
Recruiting starts early in WFISD.

I know of one kid that came to WFISD, and was going to go to Old High. Rider was a little crowded and he was told he wouldn't be able to get in. Well, a coach found out about this and low and behold the kid got into Rider. Was second team all district this last season in his sport for ROHO.
Go figure.......

WOS87
08-04-2009, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by westcoast54

One last thing...in 2007 Hirschi beat Castleberry 54-43.

CORRECTED!! Thanks for pointing it out

WOS87
12-01-2009, 05:45 PM
UPDATE: The history has been updated through 2009