PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the veer?

Electus Unus
08-02-2009, 12:34 PM
Is it dead? Do teams still run it? Its a very scary offense if ran correctly.

IrishTex
08-02-2009, 12:45 PM
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/LewP/500px-Veer_vs_34.png
The Outside Veer (or "high dive") shown vs. an Oklahoma defense (3-4 or 5-2). The square indicates the dive read while the diamond indicates the pitch read.

IrishTex
08-02-2009, 12:50 PM
Most authoritative sources credit Bill Yeoman with the invention of the Veer in 1964, and he ran that offense with the University of Houston Cougars for 25 years. He installed the offense, which led to multiple conference titles and unprecedented success. For further details, see below.

There are some sources who suggest Emory Bellard invented the Veer offense during his High School coaching days in the early 1960s. Originally a high school football head coach, he began experimenting with an option offense using three backs. After being hired at the University of Texas by Darrell Royal, and eventually being named the Offensive Coordinator, he devised the wishbone based veer attack that won a national title in 1969 . Bellard left Texas to take the head coaching job at Texas A&M University. After that, the Veer offense spread quickly.

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veer)

High School Level
The most famous High School program to use the Veer is De La Salle High School in Concord, California. Head Coach Bob Ladouceur brought the offense to the school when he originally arrived to bring the infant program its first winning season. He put in the system because of the undersized players he had. After a record 151 game winning streak, he continues to use the offense today. Graduates of De La Salle who have gone to the NFL include Amani Toomer, and Maurice Jones-Drew.

Another prolific high school program that runs the split back veer offense is John Curtis Christian School in River Ridge, Louisiana. The Patriots have run the veer since 1970, compiling a 431-36-6 record (through 2006) and winning 21 Louisiana State Championships under head coach J.T. Curtis.

More recently, College Park HS in The Woodlands, Texas which opened in 2005, runs the Veer Triple Option under Head Coach Richard Carson. The College Park Cavaliers who went 9-2 in only their second Varsity season in Class 5A in 2007, featured Josh Parsons at quarterback and Running Backs D'Jeale Lyons and David Crittenden in the Triple Option Offense.

Many High School programs use the Veer because of several reasons. Many times, the coach of the school played within the system. Other times, the same situation exists as above - lack of speed, size, and athleticism to compete with the teams in their league. However, the Veer has begun to fade as the spread offense and the run and shoot offense permeate the game. The system remains with old school coaches, and it will not cease to exist for a long while.

Another successful team that uses the veer is the Kemmerer Rangers (Wyoming) their team has won 2 state titles in the last three years.

Another successful team would be the Baker County Wildcats(florida)who went 10-2 and were 30th in the country.

Thomas County Central High of Georgia won 5 out of 7 State Titles in the 90's running the veer. The team went 15-0 in 1997 and finished 9th in the USA Today national poll.

Rabid Cougar
08-02-2009, 01:41 PM
You still see vestiges of it now and again in the "spread"

Additup
08-02-2009, 02:28 PM
As long as D Linemen keep getting upfield, you'll never even have to worry about a pull and a pitch...times up best under center.

Giddings runs veer pretty well.

Maroon87
08-02-2009, 02:29 PM
We ran the Veer in HS...or a variation of it.

PurpleFreddy
08-02-2009, 03:54 PM
two years ago when John Curtis (La.) played at Longview. The veer was the one offense that beat us my senior year. We went 9-1 and didn't go to the playoffs.

IrishTex
08-02-2009, 04:04 PM
Maybe one of the best games ever?

Longview Vs. ECA 2003

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSgPRCdSa2U

ol country boy
08-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Shiner does a hell of a job running the veer.

Johnny Utah
08-02-2009, 04:47 PM
Alto and Chilton still run it? Granger won a state title in 97 running it. If you have a athletic qb can be heck on defenses. Travis Ortega ran it at the Rock very well.

Eagle 1
08-02-2009, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
Alto and Chilton still run it? Granger won a state title in 97 running it. If you have a athletic qb can be heck on defenses. Travis Ortega ran it at the Rock very well.

I know Chilton does, but when I seen Alto play a couple of years ago they ran mostly the spread.
Goldthwaite throws it every once in a while, but its not our primary offense.

SHSBulldog00
08-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Vanderbilt Industrial ran the veer...I think?

maestro
08-02-2009, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by ol country boy
Shiner does a hell of a job running the veer.

yes, along with port lavaca calhoun and giddings

Johnny Utah
08-02-2009, 08:49 PM
When Gamble was at Alto they did, he took it to Chilton. La Grange used to under Tony V long ago. Valastro Brothers were disciples of Gamble who was a disciple of guy that won state titles at Groveton and Waxahachie(now retired).

c-town_balla
08-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Giddings runs the Flexbone. Which I guess is a variation of the Veer but, not the same thing.

SintonFan
08-02-2009, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by IrishTex
The Outside Veer (or "high dive") shown vs. an Oklahoma defense (3-4 or 5-2). The square indicates the dive read while the diamond indicates the pitch read.
That always works great for me when I draw up something like that on Madden.:cool:

GUNHO
08-03-2009, 07:43 AM
WO-S ran the Veer and went to three straight finals with it winning two.The third was against Ennis and their spread offense.After that game wo-s abandoned the Veer and started working on the spread.

Additup
08-03-2009, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by c-town_balla
Giddings runs the Flexbone. Which I guess is a variation of the Veer but, not the same thing.
Giddings runs a flexbone FORMATION, but a veer SCHEME. Check out the o-line splits. They scream veer...Giddings QB usually has a lead blocker instead of a pitch man is the biggest difference.

waterboy
08-03-2009, 08:46 AM
Maybe one of the best games ever?

Longview Vs. ECA 2003

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSgPRCdSa2U
That was a great game, but if you want to see one of the greatest ever, check this game out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHkABO0VwCg&mode=related&search=

BreckTxLonghorn
08-03-2009, 10:05 AM
I would think Farmersville runs it - that used to be Dodson's specialty.

VWG
08-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Bourquin used to run it at Graham and had some success. Had something like 5 straight district titles. When he went over to 4A Mineral Wells he made the playoffs once, but after that he couldn't put anything together. It all goes with your QB and RB's. If you've got a QB that can run the veer it can be deadly, because you don't have to have huge lineman to run it. (Like the I, Power I, etc..)
The fullback trap off the veer is a great play.

Ex-Tiger2005
08-03-2009, 10:52 AM

snyder's is very simialr but we added new style to it out of the gun and in the I formation. but our basic offense was very similar!

BreckTxLonghorn
08-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by VWG
Bourquin used to run it at Graham and had some success. Had something like 5 straight district titles. When he went over to 4A Mineral Wells he made the playoffs once, but after that he couldn't put anything together. It all goes with your QB and RB's. If you've got a QB that can run the veer it can be deadly, because you don't have to have huge lineman to run it. (Like the I, Power I, etc..)
The fullback trap off the veer is a great play.

His was interesting because he did a counter veer where the QB spun away from the direction about 80% of the time, then did speed option every now again and catch the backside LBs squatting on the play.