PDA

View Full Version : ant/yard question

jason
08-01-2009, 08:48 PM
all - it looks like the house i hope to be moving into has an ant problem. They are outside, but seem to be everywhere....

I also think there might be sand fleas in the backyard...

do any of you know of any good ways to eliminate both of these things? i dont really care about killing the grass or plants, and i can keep my dog out of it for a few weeks...

any suggestions are welcomed.....

and no, i cant spray gasoline and burn everything off....

Electus Unus
08-01-2009, 08:57 PM
scratch that idea...i just saw your last sentence

OldBison75
08-01-2009, 09:44 PM
I have tried many different chemical solutions that seem to cost alot and not really work well. A farmer friend suggested using a hose sprayer and putting pure liquid bleach into it and spraying at a 30 percent mixture over the entire yard. His instructions were to make sure that the ground was damp before applying and to spray the mixture liberally over the entire surface. I was directed to follow up one week later with the same treatment. The family dog only had to be removed from the yard for the afternoon while the grass dried.

Surprise, the concoction worked very vell and the fleas and ants reduced significantly after the first spraying and were totally gone after three treatments. They did not come back for the reast of the summer last year. I have a medium sized yard and it took two gallons of bleach per treatment to cover it. I used cheap store brand bleach from Walmart and spent less than 15 dollars for all three treatments. About the same as one treatment of most common insecticides and no residual poison for the animals. By the way, it did not harm the grass and plants either.

Try it, it might work for you too.

GetRDoneStangs
08-01-2009, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
I have tried many different chemical solutions that seem to cost alot and not really work well. A farmer friend suggested using a hose sprayer and putting pure liquid bleach into it and spraying at a 30 percent mixture over the entire yard. His instructions were to make sure that the ground was damp before applying and to spray the mixture liberally over the entire surface. I was directed to follow up one week later with the same treatment. The family dog only had to be removed from the yard for the afternoon while the grass dried.

Surprise, the concoction worked very vell and the fleas and ants reduced significantly after the first spraying and were totally gone after three treatments. They did not come back for the reast of the summer last year. I have a medium sized yard and it took two gallons of bleach per treatment to cover it. I used cheap store brand bleach from Walmart and spent less than 15 dollars for all three treatments. About the same as one treatment of most common insecticides and no residual poison for the animals. By the way, it did not harm the grass and plants either.

Try it, it might work for you too.

It has worked for us...hard to believe,,,,but we are "OUT" in the country, with cats roaming the country side and it is better than the stuff in the bags!!

Rabid Cougar
08-01-2009, 10:30 PM
Nuke 'em!

It even kills the beneficial bugs.

turbostud
08-02-2009, 07:12 AM
I have terminix spray my yard every 3 months. since doing this the ant population has declined quite a bit. I live in south Texas, the ant capitol of the world.

rancher
08-02-2009, 08:01 AM
Google the texas two step and ant control, it will solve your problem. You kill the mounds that you can see is step one, I use orthene by ortho. Step tow spread something like amdro, ortho year long fire ant control etc. This will solve your problem for the other insects broadcast out bayer insect control found at lowes.

jason
08-03-2009, 12:31 PM
i will give the bleach/water thing a try - i was planning on spreading the ortho max anyways, i guess the combination will do twice the work - wonder if there would be a chemical reaction between bleach and the ortho....

SintonFan
08-03-2009, 12:50 PM
RM recommended the bleach technique to me. It works great.

jason
08-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
RM recommended the bleach technique to me. It works great. how long does it take to work? how many treatments?

did you use just a pump sprayer or one you attach to your waterhose?

i would be one to just pour straight bleach into a pump sprayer and do it without water...

SintonFan
08-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by jason
how long does it take to work? how many treatments?

did you use just a pump sprayer or one you attach to your waterhose?

i would be one to just pour straight bleach into a pump sprayer and do it without water...
Here is what RM recommened:

The best "solution" I have found is to get a spray bottle that attaches to the water hose and put bleach in it...and bleach the grass, patios....I also spray their bedding, but it does leave some discoloring. They don't mind though!!

Only thing, you have to keep the animals off of it til the grass, bedding, etc. dries.

Then I give the dogs a flea and tick bath and spray 'em down with Adams flea and tick spray....that usually keeps them tick free for 3 weeks or so.
I used her idea and poured pure bleach into one of those Miracle Grow sprayers that attaches to the end of a water hose and turned it up all the way to max. It worked pretty quick. Didn't see much the next day.
I did the same 2-3 weeks later because the pests starting coming back . That's been about 2 weeks ago and I haven't seen much since then.
If you use a hand held garden type sprayer a 4-1 ratio of water/bleach should do.
RM link (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=95468)

fanofthegame
08-03-2009, 01:32 PM
go to your local feed store and ask for molasas in grain form. use a glove when you spead it out, your hand will turn red.....
it sounds as if that will attract more ants, but it will drive them out of your yard.

Farmersfan
08-03-2009, 01:35 PM
I recently had a BIG problem with sand Fleas. The chemical/hardware store told me that proper treatment takes 3 steps. Fleas are 1. Adults. 2. Juveniles. 3. Eggs. You have put down a residual that will get the eggs when they hatch up to 7 weeks and something that will kill Adults on contact and then something that will kill the young ones when they start moving around. I put down granules and then sprayed a contact killer once a week for 3 weeks straight. I have not seen a flea since.
But who knows, the bleach might work just as well. But I would be very care because bleach is VERY caustic even at the normal storebought 9% ratio........