PDA

View Full Version : The Difference With Wade Phillips

Txbroadcaster
07-31-2009, 02:09 PM
People keep saying there is no way he can change and be "tougher" and become a hard arse..and I agree..but I dont think that is the intetion from the beginning

The biggest complaint about Dallas last year was things like penalties, bad special teams plays, and things like that which lead to a discipline issue

Now..yes you can be a Bill Parcells type and be a hard arse and all that

Or you can be a Dick Vermiel type who was in no way a hard arse but still had teams in Philly and Rams that played with discipline

Reason is BOTH styles had same thing in common...ATTENTION TO DETAILS. Meaning in practice they worked on the little things teams need to do when it comes to making the mental mistakes inside a game.

I DO think Phillips can improve that aspect and he first did that by simply hiring a well respected SP team coach

We now will see if he truly is changing in Training camp..It wont be him yelling more or anything..All he needs to say and make sure his other coaches say is these simple words

RUN IT AGAIN

Does not have to bark it out or scream like Parcells, just has to simply make sure when the Boys make mistakes in camp, they do it again, hold them accountable, dont say things like..Well that is ok, just dont do it in a game and things like that

Hold them accountable thru actions, not yelling, thru doing it till it is right not verbal antics and I think we will see Dallas become more disciplined

pirate4state
07-31-2009, 02:41 PM
shut up you bleeding heart! this is football!

:D

Farmersfan
07-31-2009, 03:02 PM
I don't think anything has changed. The defense faded really badly and was known league wide for being soft and poor tacklers and Wade starts off preseason with no contact pads......... He says "we'll tackle in the preseason games"!

Txbroadcaster
07-31-2009, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I don't think anything has changed. The defense faded really badly and was known league wide for being soft and poor tacklers and Wade starts off preseason with no contact pads......... He says "we'll tackle in the preseason games"!

You do know that most teams avoid tackling as much as possible during camp nowdays dont ya?

This was from the DMN camp chat today

a fan asked about the tackling

" I asked my pal and press box neighbor Bryan Broaddus, the official scout of Galloway and Co. who worked for several NFL teams. He says it's pretty close to standard operating procedure around the league these days, although there are some teams that still tackle during camp. Bill Walsh started the trend with the 49ers back in the '80s. I believe those teams had a little bit of success.

Injuries hurt the teams a lot more these days because of the salary cap, which makes replacing players much more difficult. That's one reason for avoiding tackling during camp."

Also the whole camp cupcake is so stupid..if camp was the problem and this team was not ready then they would come out of the gate slow and then ramp up

instead they have started fast then faded. More tackling in August is not going to make them ramp up better in Dec IMO

Pick6
07-31-2009, 05:28 PM
TXB, you're wasting your time. Farmersfan is the ultimate in football knowledge. Bow down to his knowledge.

IrishTex
07-31-2009, 07:47 PM
Wade Phillips' press conference (http://www.dallascowboys.com/multimedia/multimedia_center.cfm?id=D27EF244-C101-4E77-60DC3EE0AC79EC51)