PDA

View Full Version : Should Holland be traded for Hallady?

IrishTex
07-31-2009, 05:10 AM
http://insidecorner.dmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/holland.jpg

I'm sorry, I just think we need to keep Holland, and other young pitchers like Kiker in the Ranger's system. It's way too big of a gamble in my opinion to go after Hallady at this point.

And what a game Holland had last night!

Story (http://lewp.wordpress.com/2009/07/31/holland-loses-shutout-gem-in-9th-as-rangers-dismantle-mariners/)

bigwood33
07-31-2009, 08:03 AM
Stay the course. Now is not the time to knee jerk and do something that will haunt the organization for years. A trade for Adam Dunn would cost much less and could be what the Rangers need more of anyway. Dunn is a power hitting 1st baseman/outfielder (bad)/dh who gets on base at about a .410 clip for his career. Even though he strikes out a lot he is a proven run producer who balances his K's with walks.

Farmersfan
07-31-2009, 08:08 AM
If our offense was rolling strong so that we might compete for a pennant then I might feel differently but with this offense we need to keep our young talent a build for next year and beyond. Boy! what a great show he put on last night...............

Pick6
07-31-2009, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by bigwood33
Stay the course. Now is not the time to knee jerk and do something that will haunt the organization for years. A trade for Adam Dunn would cost much less and could be what the Rangers need more of anyway. Dunn is a power hitting 1st baseman/outfielder (bad)/dh who gets on base at about a .410 clip for his career. Even though he strikes out a lot he is a proven run producer who balances his K's with walks.

At this point I wouldn't trade for Dunn either. Since Blaylock started playing 1st base he's been hitting pretty good. The Rangers just need to play the hand that they have and see what happens.

bigwood33
07-31-2009, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Pick6
At this point I wouldn't trade for Dunn either. Since Blaylock started playing 1st base he's been hitting pretty good. The Rangers just need to play the hand that they have and see what happens.
I certainly would not disagree with anything that you say but I do think that Dunn at dh instead of Jones would make an immediate impact. Jones does not hit for average and doesn't walk. He does hit a few homers but that is all.

crzyjournalist03
07-31-2009, 10:18 AM
Interesting that sources around the league reported that the Rangers and Blue Jays were very close on a deal last night, and then it fell apart. The Jays are known to be asking for Holland, but after last night's start, I'm betting Texas took him completely off the table if he was ever on it.

I'd still go hard after him if they'd take Feliz instead of Holland. I'm not too worried about giving up Smoak since we have Davis who will be able to play first and guys like Blalock or Max Ramirez could DH and there wouldn't be a noticeable difference.

IrishTex
07-31-2009, 11:14 AM
I hate to give up on Blalock...man he can hit in a crunch.

Txbroadcaster
07-31-2009, 11:18 AM
You build ur farm system up not just because it helps ur team, but it also allows you to make moves

Yes Holland's start last night was impressive..but Jaun Dominguez had a couple of great starts for the Rangers as well and he flammed out. One amazing night does not mean Holland becomes what we think he can.

I am not saying go for Halladay..I dont like that he prob would be nothing more than a 1 1/2 year rent a player, but Ranger fans who always say Texas does not do enough to try to win, cannot not NOW say oh no stay the course dont give up young players. Sometimes you have to so you can fill a need.

Pick6
07-31-2009, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

cannot not NOW say oh no stay the course dont give up young players. Sometimes you have to so you can fill a need.

Sure you can. Circumstances change yearly. These young players are showing alot and I for one hope they stay the course and don't make a trade.

Txbroadcaster
07-31-2009, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Pick6
Sure you can. Circumstances change yearly. These young players are showing alot and I for one hope they stay the course and don't make a trade.

no I am talking about the part of the fan base that claim Texas NEVE does what it take to win ie sign big name pitchers. They use the we are tired of wait for next year mantra and say we never know if the young players will truly develop argument.

Then now say no dont give up young players for a big name pitcher. None of the young players have truly proven themself. One game does not make Holland a bona fide pitcher.

DDBooger
07-31-2009, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
no I am talking about the part of the fan base that claim Texas NEVE does what it take to win ie sign big name pitchers. They use the we are tired of wait for next year mantra and say we never know if the young players will truly develop argument.

Then now say no dont give up young players for a big name pitcher. None of the young players have truly proven themself. One game does not make Holland a bona fide pitcher. Halladay is 2 wins in a series. Guy has great stuff.