PDA

View Full Version : News release from Burnet High

BIG19
09-25-2003, 01:22 PM
This is a portion of what was sent out through the Burnet schools today. Wanted to give everyone a heads up on what to expect!! Here's to a great game.......

Fridays game against Marlin will generate a tremendous amount of media coverage. The Dawgs will be FOX Southwest High School Spotlight "DQ Game of the week". We will also be the feature game for High School Extra. We expect more fans from around the state to attend the game due to the increased media coverage and the possibility that two state records could be eclipsed. Jordan Shipley is closing in on the Texas High School Career Touchdown Receptions record. The current record stands at 55 receptions, Jordan currently has 53. The second record is All Time Texas High School Career Receiving Yardage. The record currently stands at 4241 yards. Jordan has 4138 yards.

The purpose of this email is two fold. One, we are all Dawg Proud of Jordan and wish him luck on breaking these records! (and more!) Also, I want to get information out about media coverage and let folks know what plans are underway.

Fox SW High School Spotlight "DQ Game of the Week. Get a .99 cent Blizzard before the game. Their coverage will include pre-game, game and post game coverage.

Jeff Watts with High School Extra will feature the Marlin vs. Burnet match up as their game of the week. This will include coverage of our pep-rally, pre-game interviews and extensive coverage during and after the game. HS Extra will also set up a carnival style area on the east end of the stadium behind the section of stands designated for students/band. This will include a football throw, moon walk, etc. The fun fair will run from 5:30 when the gates open until game time. Parent waiver of liability will be required for all children that participate.

Students and staff are all encouraged to participate in the coverage, events and interviews associated with this game. We also anticipate extensive coverage from local media out of Austin. Vans, Helicopters, etc. Who’d-of-thought in Burnet, TX?

HotDawg89
09-25-2003, 02:10 PM
Unreal. eek! You would think we were super-bowl calibur teams! :rolleyes: It will be fun though! :D Hey, 19- do you know what local channels we can set to record these things on? I've got the FOX thing covered, but am unclear about HSExtra, and the airing time. Any ideas?

Gobbla2001
09-25-2003, 02:18 PM
I know a lot of people from different message boards that are gunna make the game, that's really awesome for you guys...

If Cuero was playing Goliad or PAlacios (and not Sinton) tomorrow night, I would have gone to Burnet...

Make this a great game, both teams...

Bandera YaYa
09-25-2003, 02:45 PM
...couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of people....I'm so darn proud for ya! :)

cunbed10
09-25-2003, 03:02 PM
Now it's really like a playoff game, a Heavyweight Fight involving Tyson, and someone who could beat Tyson.

zippy
09-25-2003, 03:03 PM
Isn't Dallas Cowboy new draft pick "Antenna Ball" gonna be there too? :D

cunbed10
09-25-2003, 03:09 PM
zippy:
Isn't Dallas Cowboy new draft pick "Antenna Ball" gonna be there too? :D No but Sponge Bob will be riding with me.

Bandera YaYa
09-25-2003, 03:12 PM
cunbed10:
Now it's really like a playoff game, a Heavyweight Fight involving Tyson, and someone who could beat Tyson.Could we please leave the cannibal out of this????? He'd be way out of his league(thugs) at this game! :D

<small>[ September 25, 2003, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: Bandera YaYa ]</small>

zippy
09-25-2003, 03:20 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by zippy:
Isn't Dallas Cowboy new draft pick "Antenna Ball" gonna be there too?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No but Sponge Bob will be riding with me.

Sponge Bob and a shirtless cun!! Ya shouldn't be too hard to find Friday Night. :D

TYWASH11
09-25-2003, 03:26 PM
I can't believe so many people are coming out to cover the game! Go Jordan I hope you break those records tommorow night! I have got full faith in the Dawgs.....I will be there hopefully

fullhouse
09-25-2003, 03:27 PM
Man, how AWESOME is that????? Bet those kids won't EVEN be nervous!

Gobbla2001
09-25-2003, 03:39 PM
Hey, fullhouse, were you at the '99 Sealy/Cuero game when you guys were #1 and we were #2 in the state? Place was packed...

PAINTBALL
09-25-2003, 04:20 PM
The hype is in my opinion canned hype, kind of like the Yankees arranging Roger Clement's pitching schedule so he could get his 300th win at home. That backfired on the Yankees, and I hope this doesn't backfire on coach Shipley.

Unless he gets hurt the records are going to be broken either this Friday or the next game after Burnet's week off. I wonder if the records aren't broken this Friday whether the Media will be back on October 10th. It looks like a lot people are buying into this hype. Most of the players on our team that I have talked to think it is funny. I hope all the press Shipley will get at school tomorrow doesn't create resentment among the other players on the team. So far, so good, but I don't know how the rest of the team is going to be treated by the press tommorrow.

It's just another predistrict game.

CentralTxFan
09-25-2003, 04:32 PM
I agree Paintball and I have wondered the same thing. These are high school kids and sometimes we seem to forget that. It seems it would be hard for some of the teammates not to feel resentment, heck, a lot of adults would. Maturity is what teaches us to handle situations just like this one. Good luck to Jordan though. He deserves it. Good luck to the rest of the team, remember it is ONE team, ONE dream. And it took the entire team for Jordan to be able to get these records!

CentralTxFan
09-25-2003, 04:35 PM
Before I get blasted, I know Jordan has worked hard to achieve what he has achieved. Took a lot of hard work, determination, and sacrifices to get to this point. I am just pointing out that the blockers, the QB, everyone helped him along.

PAINTBALL
09-25-2003, 04:55 PM
CentralTxFan:
Before I get blasted, I know Jordan has worked hard to achieve what he has achieved. Took a lot of hard work, determination, and sacrifices to get to this point. I am just pointing out that the blockers, the QB, everyone helped him along.It's the press that I'm worried about. Every kid on this team knows how good Jordan, Stephen, and Big Eddie are, but the press can be cruel sometimes, trying to create a story that isn't really there. I'm afraid of statements being made out of context, etc hurting the commaradary among our players. If the press can cause these problems in the pros and college it will be real easy to do with high school kids.

As you can tell, I don't trust the press. I hope I'm just being paranoid.

<small>[ September 25, 2003, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: PAINTBALL ]</small>

29x281
09-25-2003, 05:54 PM
Although I think everyone would like to see JS break the records at home tomorrow, I don't think the coaches will try to force it if the game dictates otherwise.

If Marlin doubles Shipley, it will be left to others to force Marlin out of that alignment. I don't expect him to get the record if Marlin is allowed to double him all night.

PAINTBALL
09-25-2003, 06:27 PM
29x281:
Although I think everyone would like to see JS break the records at home tomorrow, I don't think the coaches will try to force it if the game dictates otherwise.

If Marlin doubles Shipley, it will be left to others to force Marlin out of that alignment. I don't expect him to get the record if Marlin is allowed to double him all night.Most highschool fans believe that the receiver is a called play and do not realize that the quarterback makes the decision on who to throw to. What if McGee throws into double coverage, the ball is intercepted, and Burnet loses the game. Do you think the fans will believe that Coach Shipley was not trying to get his son the record while the press was there. There are just so many ways this hype can backfire on coach Shipley. Please don't let it happen. It can also be great for Shipley, the team, and the town. Please let this happen.

HotDawg89
09-25-2003, 06:47 PM
Love you all, and don't get mad...but I think we are all a little worried about the wrong things.

Sure, it would be "cool" for JS to break those records tomorrow night- but it would be equally cool to break them in our first district game... It doesn't matter when he breaks them- (he is going to for sure, provided he doesn't get hurt!) There are teams we will be facing who are far less challenging than Marlin- and JS will have a huge window of opportunity at that time. So big deal- if it isn't tomorrow, it isn't. I am sure he and his father are prepared for that. This man is a skilled coach who coached at a college level... he isn't going to make stupid mistakes for records that are going to get broken anyway!

The press is all over this game for lots of reasons. Most of them have been discussed on this board for the last few weeks- bottom line- it's a great game between two very talented and highly touted football teams who had a tight match last year. We're both ranked high in 3A, and that alone requires some press coverage. As far as all the hype goes- the team has been dealing with hype since the rankings came out during pre-season. Lets give them some credit.

JS already has a well deserved ride to UT, by "using the press" there isn't much more to be gained by Coach Shipley at this point, other than striking fear into the hearts of our future competition this season...

Just let's all have fun, and worry more about a safe game for these kids and less about the effects of all the publicity. We can't control either one, but I can tell you which is more important!

Burnet 35
Marlin 14

PAINTBALL
09-25-2003, 06:56 PM
HotDawg89:
Love you all, and don't get mad...but I think we are all a little worried about the wrong things.

Sure, it would be "cool" for JS to break those records tomorrow night- but it would be equally cool to break them in our first district game... It doesn't matter when he breaks them- (he is going to for sure, provided he doesn't get hurt!) There are teams we will be facing who are far less challenging than Marlin- and JS will have a huge window of opportunity at that time. So big deal- if it isn't tomorrow, it isn't. I am sure he and his father are prepared for that. This man is a skilled coach who coached at a college level... he isn't going to make stupid mistakes for records that are going to get broken anyway!

The press is all over this game for lots of reasons. Most of them have been discussed on this board for the last few weeks- bottom line- it's a great game between two very talented and highly touted football teams who had a tight match last year. We're both ranked high in 3A, and that alone requires some press coverage. As far as all the hype goes- the team has been dealing with hype since the rankings came out during pre-season. Lets give them some credit.

JS already has a well deserved ride to UT, by "using the press" there isn't much more to be gained by Coach Shipley at this point, other than striking fear into the hearts of our future competition this season...

Just let's all have fun, and worry more about a safe game for these kids and less about the effects of all the publicity. We can't control either one, but I can tell you which is more important!

Burnet 35
Marlin 14Thanks. I needed that. Good Post

BULLDOGFAN
09-25-2003, 09:34 PM
I just want to wish Burnet and especialy Jordan and Shipley all the luck in the world. A class act is not enough praise for this team. I watched them practice Tuesday afternoon before my daughter played Volleyball in Burnet and all I can say is Wow. Those kids are on a mission and I am sure it is a mission worth while.

In the end the ring will be on these special kids fingers. Good Luck Burnet.

MARLINFAN
09-25-2003, 10:17 PM
i wish jordan the best of luck just dont break it aganist us. marlin will have both its all - americian players on him(the same is last year)d. wrighter(4) at saftey and r. richardson(5) head up at corner. hey jv played an exciting game tonight. burnet 14 marlin 12 in a fourth quater thriller

Gobbla2001
09-25-2003, 10:19 PM
All I know is that everyone going to this game is gunna have a good time... Win or lose, blow-out or bar-burner, it's going to be a great atmosphere...

HotDawg89
09-26-2003, 08:28 AM
PAINTBALL:
Thanks. I needed that. Good PostYou are most welcome o painter of...well, paintball! :D See you tonight!

faithfuldog
09-26-2003, 09:59 AM
Good Luck to both teams tonight. Even though we are a bit banged up I pick Marlin by 14 because we usually rise to the occasion. Hopefully the boys can get their records and Marlin still wins. WHATA DAWG SHOW!!!!!!!!

Bandera YaYa
09-26-2003, 12:19 PM
Good post HotDawg!! I think we do forget these are high school kids, although they are so talented.

Just wanted to wish both teams a safe game and a safe trip for all the Marlin fans coming to Burnet....

Win or lose, both teams have alot to be thankful for, because you both have alot of people out there who really care about you......it's been so evident even on here....

Good luck and have a great time tonite!! Enjoy!!

Peace and Ya Ya!!

HotDawg89
09-26-2003, 02:17 PM
Bandera YaYa:
Good post HotDawg!! I think we do forget these are high school kids, although they are so talented.

Just wanted to wish both teams a safe game and a safe trip for all the Marlin fans coming to Burnet....

Win or lose, both teams have alot to be thankful for, because you both have alot of people out there who really care about you......it's been so evident even on here....

Good luck and have a great time tonite!! Enjoy!!

Peace and Ya Ya!!Are you always so nice? I don't think I have ever read anything that you have posted that was not in good taste and good fun! I appreciate your comments! Very sweet of you! wink I wish everyone were so nice! We are fortunate to have some great people posting on this board though!