PDA

View Full Version : Mustang Bowl Construction Updates

GetRDoneStangs
07-30-2009, 07:28 PM
Looks on schedule so far......here are a few pics.

Visitor entrance pic 1

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h63/tthomas62/DSCF0492.jpg

Visitor entrance pic 2

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h63/tthomas62/DSCF0491.jpg

Visitor entrance pic 3

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h63/tthomas62/DSCF0495.jpg

GetRDoneStangs
07-30-2009, 07:38 PM
More pics from inside

New fence at top of Bowl

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h63/tthomas62/DSCF0496.jpg

Concession area (restrooms not in picture)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h63/tthomas62/DSCF0489.jpg

Concession area (restrooms not in picture)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h63/tthomas62/DSCF0490.jpg

The new restrooms are HUGE!!! Thank God!!

No more "troughs" in the mens room!!!

Sweetwater Red
07-30-2009, 07:52 PM
I drove by there after work today. Are the stone
pillars going to go around the whole bowl? Also
are going to scrimmage MC and Vernon again. If
so, when and where?

GetRDoneStangs
07-30-2009, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
I drove by there after work today. Are the stone
pillars going to go around the whole bowl? Also
are going to scrimmage MC and Vernon again. If
so, when and where?

The stone pillars are not going around this year....:mad: :mad: ..maybe next summer when they put stone on the press box.

Not sure on the scrimmages, I know at least one of them is here.

Sweetwater Red
07-30-2009, 08:11 PM
Good enough I guess and nice picks btw.

Pmoney
07-30-2009, 09:12 PM
its looking nice now only if yall can fix those pink endzones :D :thumbsup:

wildstangs
07-30-2009, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Pmoney
its looking nice now only if yall can fix those pink endzones :D :thumbsup:

Fixed those last year. Hopefully they are putting tarps over them to prevent that from happening again.

They are going to put the stone on the press box? I was thinking it would look out of place. Should look like a brand new stadium.

GetRDoneStangs
07-30-2009, 09:34 PM
Good enough I guess and nice picks btw.

It is looking really nice...changes to the Press Box and maybe new turf.......:thinking: :thinking: .....next year....:clap: :clap: .....

Have you heard the latest on the Jumbo Tron?????

Coffee shop talk:nerd: :nerd: ...I guess we will wait and see on that one!

STANG RED
07-30-2009, 09:40 PM
I wonder if there is any plans for the chainlink fence on the outside? It never really looked all that bad before, but now up against all the nice new stuff it looks pretty raggety.

DU_stud04
07-30-2009, 09:40 PM
lookin great! keep the updates coming.

Sweetwater Red
07-30-2009, 09:52 PM
Hey Pmoney, who cares what color our endzones
are as long as we beat... Snyder, Brownwood and
Monahans.....again.:thinking: :D

pirate4state
07-31-2009, 09:31 AM
very nice :thumbsup:

DDBooger
07-31-2009, 09:34 AM
that really is a cool place to play. However when it's steaming hot, is it hotter or does wind get in there?

STANG RED
07-31-2009, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
that really is a cool place to play. However when it's steaming hot, is it hotter or does wind get in there?

The wind does get in there some, and since heat rises, it's not really any worse than other west Texas stadiums in this summer heat. They also have fans and misters they use those first few hot games. They are really needed for the day games during the Sammy Baugh Classic.

DDBooger
07-31-2009, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
The wind does get in there some, and since heat rises, it's not really any worse than other west Texas stadiums in this summer heat. They also have fans and misters they use those first few hot games. They are really needed for the day games during the Sammy Baugh Classic. I realize heat rises, but I was just wondering especially since it's turf. Really is a cool stadium or bowl. :D

ccmom
07-31-2009, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by GetRDoneStangs
It is looking really nice...changes to the Press Box and maybe new turf.......:thinking: :thinking: .....next year....:clap: :clap: .....

Have you heard the latest on the Jumbo Tron?????

Coffee shop talk:nerd: :nerd: ...I guess we will wait and see on that one!

Looks great! :clap:

New turf already? Really?:confused:

Ex-Tiger2005
07-31-2009, 10:32 AM
man that is looking real nice!

DU_stud04
07-31-2009, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by ccmom

New turf already? Really?:confused: next year will be 10 years already since installed. company's give the life of the turf 10-15 years.

BwdLions
07-31-2009, 11:54 AM
Hey, that's great that they're sprucing up the Mustang Bowl. It's a good place to watch a game. The Lions will enjoy spanking the Stangs' butts in a few weeks up there.

BreckTxLonghorn
07-31-2009, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
next year will be 10 years already since installed. company's give the life of the turf 10-15 years.

Really? I could have swore we played on grass on '01.

Sweetwater Red
07-31-2009, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Really? I could have swore we played on grass on '01.

I think you did. If I could remember what year our workhorse FB
graduated. I would know exactly when it was installed. I don't
think that was until '02 or '03.:thinking:

DU_stud04
07-31-2009, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Really? I could have swore we played on grass on '01. i keep forgetting if we got it my soph. or jr year. meh, we'd had it for a while.......haha

Sweetwater Red
07-31-2009, 12:07 PM
i keep forgetting if we got it my soph. or jr year. meh, we'd had it for a while.......haha

What year did Jack Squires graduate? He helped install it the summer
before his senior year I believe.

Ex-Tiger2005
07-31-2009, 01:05 PM
What year did Jack Squires graduate? He helped install it the summer
before his senior year I believe.

o he played on the 02-03 team

DU_stud04
07-31-2009, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Ex-Tiger2005
o he played on the 02-03 team ^

Sweetwater Red
07-31-2009, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Ex-Tiger2005
o he played on the 02-03 team

Okay so this season will be the eighth year it is played on. It still
looks to be in excellent shape...wel except for the endzones and
the crappy $10K paint job on the them.

wildstangs
07-31-2009, 01:32 PM
The first year they played on it was 02. In 2000 (my senior year) it was all grass. In 2001 they painted the endzones a red and white checkered pattern. 2003 was turf.

Sweetwater Red
07-31-2009, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
The first year they played on it was 02. In 2000 (my senior year) it was all grass. In 2001 they painted the endzones a red and white checkered pattern. 2003 was turf.

I remember those checkered endzones. They were identical to the
U of Tennessee's. Well except for the color obviously. lol

DaHop72
07-31-2009, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by ccmom

New turf already? Really?:confused: They are afraid the paint job won't last. :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

cr180t
07-31-2009, 02:10 PM
Updates look great. Glad to see it. If they do have to replace the turf it will not be near the $$$$ cost to put it down. Not saying it needs to be replaced just most have been. I know the one in Amar. did not cost as much the second time foundations was done.

STANG RED
07-31-2009, 02:44 PM
Okay so this season will be the eighth year it is played on. It still
looks to be in excellent shape...wel except for the endzones and
the crappy $10K paint job on the them.

$10K??? really? They overpaid by $9.95K then. I dont know who did it, but you would have thought they could have at least gotten one shade of RED to complete the job. :(
But I guess it was an improvement over pink anyway. Not much, but some.

Sweetwater Red
07-31-2009, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
$10K??? really? They overpaid by $9.95K then. I dont know who did it, but you would have thought they could have at least gotten one shade of RED to complete the job. :(
But I guess it was an improvement over pink anyway. Not much, but some.

Yep. It was front page news when they did it. Imagine that?:D

It was a father and son from somewhere. There was a picture of
them and the spayer they were going to use. I definitely
remember the article saying that it was going to cost 10K.

To myself. (Hahaha! how ironic!):nerd:

GetRDoneStangs
07-31-2009, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by cr180t
Updates look great. Glad to see it. If they do have to replace the turf it will not be near the $$$$ cost to put it down. Not saying it needs to be replaced just most have been. I know the one in Amar. did not cost as much the second time foundations was done.

That's exactly right, they put down that rubber base and won't have to do much but rip up the old and put down the new.

As far as the shape...it is still pretty good, BUT.....the new turfs have evolved so much the last couple of years, it is hard to believe the difference.

I think I heard costs to be around $400 K to replace with the latest and greatest.

KONGZILLA
07-31-2009, 07:17 PM
hope they got it ready by the time we play there

GetRDoneStangs
07-31-2009, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by KONGZILLA
hope they got it ready by the time we play there

They should be completed before week 0....when are y'all playing here??

Sweetwater Red
07-31-2009, 08:29 PM
I wasn't aware that Blockbuster had a football
team. Do ya'll wear blue smocks over your pads?
Nevermind. Given our home schedule, they all
look to be cake walks. :rolleyes:

Electus Unus
07-31-2009, 08:33 PM
whats with the gap?

STANG RED
07-31-2009, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
whats with the gap?

Gap? We aint got one.

But we got a real nice Wallyworld for buyin britches n shirts. :D

Sweetwater Red
07-31-2009, 09:14 PM
Gap? Where? It is an ongoing project that is
going to carry over until next off season.

DU_stud04
08-22-2009, 09:31 PM
bowls definitely came a long way.
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g115/mexmustangs04/MustangBowl1957-1.jpg

im looking for a few other pics i used to have of it, one showed trees in the north endzone instead of the cement.

IrishTex
08-22-2009, 09:40 PM

im looking for a few other pics i used to have of it, one showed trees in the north endzone instead of the cement.

I never have seen a picture of trees in the north end zone...I've always just seen the concrete.

I will say when I went to my first game at Mustang Bowl in about 1963, the teams used the dressing rooms under the clock.....once the Mustangs came down that ramp, they stayed down there till they tore up the competition..

:D

DU_stud04
08-22-2009, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by IrishTex
I never have seen a picture of trees in the north end zone...I've always just seen the concrete.

I will say when I went to my first game at Mustang Bowl in about 1963, the teams used the dressing rooms under the clock.....once the Mustangs came down that ramp, they stayed down there till they tore up the competition..

:D the picture is dated back to 1957 from the picture description. i know im not crazy, there isnt any cement in the south endzone yet at that time either.

scrub c
08-22-2009, 10:02 PM

That is SO cool... what an awesome picture of the stadium, just think of all the kids that have played there... great stuff

garciap77
08-22-2009, 10:43 PM
Awesome Picture!

I told you, that was a great camera! Man! You are getting good at taking pictures! ;)

R1Editor
08-23-2009, 12:07 PM
the picture is dated back to 1957 from the picture description. i know im not crazy, there isnt any cement in the south endzone yet at that time either.

According to my boss, the cement at the top of the end zones came after the 68-69 school year.

GetRDoneStangs
08-26-2009, 02:01 AM

Mustang Bowl turns 70 this year.

article about TSTC Sammy Baugh Classic from the Sweetwater Reporter...

Sammy Baugh to be honored at Classic
Written by Ron Howell
Tuesday, 25 August 2009

The Sweetwater Independent School District, Sweetwater Chamber of Commerce and Texas State Technical College are planning a new honor for the city's favorite son at this year's fifth annual TSTC Sammy Baugh Classic, which begins its three-day run Thursday at Mustang Bowl.
All three entities plan to honor "Slingin' Sammy," the legendary NFL Hall of Fame quarterback who died this past December at the age of 94, with a sign bearing his Sweetwater (Newman) High School jersey, No. 21, which he wore as a star quarterback here in the early 1930s before going on even bigger and better things at Texas Christian University and with the Washington Redskins of the National Football League.

The sign will be unveiled prior to all three games that are being played at this year's Classic. It will remain permanently displayed in the south end zone of the historic Bowl, which opened in 1939 and turns 70 years old this year.

Baugh, who had his high school jersey retired during the second annual Classic in 2006, graduated from high school here in 1933 after leading the '32 team to an 8-1 record and district and bi-district championships.
He later became an All-American at TCU and then played for the Redskins from 1937 to 1952, where he revolutionized the sport of professional football with his uncanny passing accuracy — and was also a standout defensive back and punter — for 16 years before retiring. Baugh led the league in passing a record six times, became the first player to intercept four passes in a game, and still holds the NFL punting records for career average (45.1) and season average (51.4). In 1940, he became the only player to ever lead the league in passing, punting and interceptions in the same season.

Baugh was among 17 charter members to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1963, and he was also elected to the College Football Hall of Fame. Prior to having his No. 21 jersey retired at Sweetwater, Baugh's No. 45 jersey with the Horned Frogs and his No. 33 jersey with the Redskins were also retired.

In addition to the new sign honoring Baugh, players participating in the 2009 Classic will wear a black sticker with the white letters "SB" on their helmets.
"We as a committee wanted to honor Sammy with the helmet sticker," said Classic chairman Ted Thomas. "And at the same time, Terry Pittman (Sweetwater ISD superintendent) approached us with the schools' plan of the jersey sign. We all feel it will be a special tribute to the man who forever changed the sport of football."

Fans at this year's event will also get a firsthand look at the major upgrades to Mustang Bowl which were recently completed and include new restrooms, concessions, fencing and landscaping at a cost of slightly more than $1 million.

The schedule for this year's TSTC West Texas Sammy Baugh Classic calls for games at the Bowl to be played Thursday through Saturday, Aug. 27-29.
On Thursday, the Roscoe Plowboys — who are a perfect 4-0 at the Classic — kick things off by facing the Crane Golden Cranes at 7:30 p.m. Roscoe will be seeking revenge for a season-opening loss to its Class 2A opponent in 2008, the Plowboys' only regular-season defeat a year ago.

On Friday, the host Sweetwater Mustangs — also a perfect 4-0 in the Classic — will face the always-tough Burkburnett Bulldogs at 7:30 p.m. New head coach Craig Slaughter makes his debut at Sweetwater, which is also out to avenge a season-opening loss to the Bulldogs in 2008.

The Classic wraps up its three-day run at 7 p.m. Saturday when the Colorado City Wolves entertain the Reagan County Owls. Colorado City has a 1-1 record in the Classic while Reagan County, like Crane and Burkburnett, is making its first appearance.

Players of the game will be chosen and announced all three nights from each participating school in the Classic. TSTC will award a $500 scholarship to each school's scholarship fund in that player's name.

Sammy Baugh to be honored at Classic (http://www.sweetwaterreporter.com/content/view/163665/1/)